PDA

View Full Version : My next year's roster

Dozerdog
05-20-2007, 08:38 PM
The cap will be raised to between $48 and $50 Million next season

Here's my roster & salaries- I want to keep Briere, Drury, and Zubris. It is quite an optimistic roster- I'm hoping the cap maxes out at $50 million. It leaves the Sabres ZERO flexibility at the trade deadline.

If the cap comes in at $48 million, I'm willing to depart with Max. If people want to keep Max- then lose Zubris. It will take 3-4 million to keep him.

I cut/did not re-sign/Traded Kotalik, Kalininn, and Hecht, Teppo, and Peters
If Zuburis stays, he replaces Hecht. If he goes elsewhere, Hecht stays.

No fan of Spacek- but the contract makes it tough to get rid of him- and we will also need his veteran leadership when Teppo goes. In return- the Sabres do get a cheaper defenseman in a trade or FAcy.

One saving grace is that if Timmy gets hurt again- it gives us some cap space

RFA's Vanek, Roy, Paesch, Paille, get what I think are market priced deals

PLAYER 2007-08 salary

Drury, Chris C 7.000 Estimate
Briere, Daniel C 6.000 Estimate
Connolly, Tim C 3.000
Gaustad, Paul C 0.750
Roy, Derek C 1.500 Estimate
Mair, Adam C 0.750 Estimate

Zubrus, Dainius R 3.000 Estimate
Pominville, Jason R 0.925
Stafford, Drew R 0.984
Afinogenov, Maxim R 3.500

Paille, Dan L 0.850 Estimate
MacArthur, Clarke L 0.625
Vanek, Thomas L 4.000 Estimate

Spacek, Jaroslav D 3.475
Lydman, Toni D 2.900
Tallinder, Henrik D 2.500
Campbell, Brian D 1.750
Paetsch, Nathan D 1.000 Estimate
Funk, Michael D 0.635
Free Agent /Trade Guy 1.500 Estimate

Miller, Ryan G 2.667
Conklin, Ty G 0.750 Estimate

TOTAL 50.061

Gone-

Kotalik, Ales R 2.50 Trade
Kalinin, Dmitri D 2.25 Trade
Numminen, Teppo D Gone

Hecht, Jochen C 2.35 Trade
Peters, Andrew L 0.650 Gone

casdhf
05-20-2007, 08:44 PM
I think they may try and upgrade Conklin in the off-season ... maybe?

Dozerdog
05-20-2007, 08:50 PM
I think they may try and upgrade Conklin in the off-season ... maybe?
Nah- they really like him for some reason- but the possibility exists someone will try to sign him as a UFA

camelcowboy
05-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Aaron miller's a freeagent, how about Souray instead of zubrus? Just a thought.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
05-20-2007, 09:42 PM
Let Conklin go, time to see what Dennis has even though I do like Conklin.

LABillsFan
05-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Hamrlik is also available I believe.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
05-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Aaron miller's a freeagent, how about Souray instead of zubrus? Just a thought.

Now I would like that to get Souray! Aaron Miller (Buffalo guy) isn't bad either bring him home.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-20-2007, 09:44 PM
I am not very optimistic that either player will be back now. Of course, with Drury, who the hell knows what he is thinking. I won't be suprised if Zubrus, Drury, and Briere are not on the roster next year. I was never a big fan of Briere and I don't think he had a very good playoff, or at least he didn't earn his money in the playoffs. I won't be upset if he is gone. I love Chris Drury, and I know it is all rumors, but if his price tag goes into the $7 million per, I think the Sabres could be forced to pass on him. Then again, if what they say is true, they want him as the face of the franchise. Also, nobody knows if Drury will be blown away by another team, kind of the way McKee was. Zubrus will command at least $3-4 per so I can also see them letting him walk.

I also wouldn't be suprised if the team replaced them with players like Jason Blake, but I can see his salary being around $5 mil so who knows.

It is hard to tell what this team will do. It seemed like they were stretching themselves thing this year just to make the league cap. I don't think this team wants to do that. I cannot see them going to $50 million. I could be wrong, but I just can't see that figure here. Then again to Tom G, that might be nothing in the pocket book.

If they are going to let them walk, I hope they look to a little more of a rugged team. Players I would like them to look at are Darren McCarty and Scott Hartnell. I don't know to many of the unrestricted free agents yet, but I do remember hearing that those two are FAs. Also, not sure if he is, but if Darcy Tucker is a UFA, I don't care if I hate him, I wouln't mind seeing him in a Sabre uniform.

Dozerdog
05-20-2007, 09:54 PM
I am not very optimistic that either player will be back now. Of course, with Drury, who the hell knows what he is thinking. I won't be suprised if Zubrus, Drury, and Briere are not on the roster next year. I was never a big fan of Briere and I don't think he had a very good playoff, or at least he didn't earn his money in the playoffs. I won't be upset if he is gone. I love Chris Drury, and I know it is all rumors, but if his price tag goes into the $7 million per, I think the Sabres could be forced to pass on him. Then again, if what they say is true, they want him as the face of the franchise. Also, nobody knows if Drury will be blown away by another team, kind of the way McKee was. Zubrus will command at least $3-4 per so I can also see them letting him walk.

I also wouldn't be suprised if the team replaced them with players like Jason Blake, but I can see his salary being around $5 mil so who knows.

It is hard to tell what this team will do. It seemed like they were stretching themselves thing this year just to make the league cap. I don't think this team wants to do that. I cannot see them going to $50 million. I could be wrong, but I just can't see that figure here. Then again to Tom G, that might be nothing in the pocket book.

If they are going to let them walk, I hope they look to a little more of a rugged team. Players I would like them to look at are Darren McCarty and Scott Hartnell. I don't know to many of the unrestricted free agents yet, but I do remember hearing that those two are FAs. Also, not sure if he is, but if Darcy Tucker is a UFA, I don't care if I hate him, I wouln't mind seeing him in a Sabre uniform.9 home playoff games and wire-to wire sellouts- I think they have plenty of money to go to the cap

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-20-2007, 09:55 PM
9 home playoff games and wire-to wire sellouts- I think they have plenty of money to go to the cap

Like I said, I don't know where this team is money wise. I know it is easy for us to sit here and say they have the money, but we don't know how they want to go forward.

camelcowboy
05-20-2007, 09:58 PM
If they are going to let them walk, I hope they look to a little more of a rugged team. Players I would like them to look at are Darren McCarty and Scott Hartnell. I don't know to many of the unrestricted free agents yet, but I do remember hearing that those two are FAs. Also, not sure if he is, but if Darcy Tucker is a UFA, I don't care if I hate him, I wouln't mind seeing him in a Sabre uniform. Im a fan of Hartnell sort of a dirty player, but talented and gritty. Smyth would be a solid addition but would cost the farm. Aaron Miller is gritty, so is Hamerik, Souray would be a solid addition but pricey as well.

Dozerdog
05-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Also- Last offseason teams were flush with cap space. Most clubs went into the strike making sure many of their contracts would be up after the strike if they lost a season.

Many teams had less than 10 guys under contract going into the 2005-2006 season.

What was supposedly the "richest free agency market" in history quickly turned into another free for all. Most clubs went on a discount sales spree- and many are again immersed in some bad contracts.

There aren't a lot of teams out there with huge cap space like last offseason. The $4 million Mckee deals won't be as prevalent. A lot of compeditive clubs will need the added cap expantion as bad as the sabres do just to keep their clubs together

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-20-2007, 10:10 PM
Also- Last offseason teams were flush with cap space. Most clubs went into the strike making sure many of their contracts would be up after the strike if they lost a season.

Many teams had less than 10 guys under contract going into the 2005-2006 season.

What was supposedly the "richest free agency market" in history quickly turned into another free for all. Most clubs went on a discount sales spree- and many are again immersed in some bad contracts.

There aren't a lot of teams out there with huge cap space like last offseason. The $4 million Mckee deals won't be as prevalent. A lot of compeditive clubs will need the added cap expantion as bad as the sabres do just to keep their clubs together

You know that is true. Teams are up against the cap this year. There are only a handful of teams that are not within $4 million of the cap at the time of the trading deadline. If the cap rises to $48 million it will give teams a little room, but not much.

Here is the teams that have significant room under the cap as of the trade deadline:

Team Cap Left
New Jersey $50.1M $1.5M over
Boston $48.1M $670,000 over
Philadelphia $46.5M $237,000 over (they dumped Forsberg so this numer is off)
Buffalo $45.2M $777,000 over
San Jose $44.4M $674,000 left
Toronto $44.3M $3,500
Colorado $43.8M $398,000
Chicago $43.8M $2.15M
Montreal $43.7M $274,000
Detroit $43.6M $1.39M
Dallas $43.5M $1.51M
Tampa Bay $43.4M $558,000
Vancouver $43.4M $800,000
Ottawa $43.2M $750,000
Calgary $43.1M $878,000
Minnesota $42.8M $12.6M
Anaheim $42.4M $3.82M
N.Y. Rangers $42M $3.1M
Phoenix $42M $3.57M
Atlanta $41.7M $2.44M
Los Angeles $41.6M $2.53M
Florida $41.5M $3.99M
Edmonton $41.2M $3.03M
Columbus $40.4M $4.09M
Carolina $40.3M $4.58M
Nashville $39.8M $4.2M
N.Y. Islanders $39.4M $4.6M
St. Louis $38.6M $5.85M
Pittsburgh $35.8M $11.5M
Washington $31.1M $15.7M

Good call Doz.

Dozerdog
05-20-2007, 10:17 PM
If Pittsburgh was smart- instead of going after free agents- they would be wise to use their current cap space to tie up Crosby, Malkin, Stall, Fleury, and a few others really long term.

The way it works is that you average the contract over the length- so a player's salary might be smaller than his cap hit - or in some cases- larger than his cap hit.

If they gave their guys backloaded deals- it would push them up toward the cap limit now- but their actual cash payout would be small.

Down the road when they move into their new building and the cash flow is better-- their guys will be making much bigger salaries but they would count less toward the cap.

tampabay25690
05-21-2007, 06:20 PM
WOW get rid of Max and sign Briere and Drury....

From what I saw MAx showed up in the playoffs.....I think Dreury signs and Briere is gone he will get 6+ mill somewhere. I think we can sign Drury for 5 mill for 4 yr deal sign Vanek long now and get a forward that can hit..

We need some guys that want to hit when it comes playoff time bottom line...

tampabay25690
05-21-2007, 06:23 PM

If they are going to let them walk, I hope they look to a little more of a rugged team. Players I would like them to look at are Darren McCarty and Scott Hartnell. I don't know to many of the unrestricted free agents yet, but I do remember hearing that those two are FAs. Also, not sure if he is, but if Darcy Tucker is a UFA, I don't care if I hate him, I wouln't mind seeing him in a Sabre uniform.

Honestly I would take Jason BLAKE over Briere anyday and thats nothing to say bad about Briere. I just love the way Blake plays hockey he is a guy you have to plan around..

camelcowboy
05-21-2007, 06:48 PM
Honestly I would take Jason BLAKE over Briere anyday and thats nothing to say bad about Briere. I just love the way Blake plays hockey he is a guy you have to plan around.. Jason Blake looks like he hasn't slept for about 4 years. Didn't he go MIA during playoffs as well?

Ebenezer
05-21-2007, 07:50 PM
The cap will be raised to between $48 and $50 Million next season

Here's my roster & salaries- I want to keep Briere, Drury, and Zubris. It is quite an optimistic roster- I'm hoping the cap maxes out at $50 million. It leaves the Sabres ZERO flexibility at the trade deadline.

If the cap comes in at $48 million, I'm willing to depart with Max. If people want to keep Max- then lose Zubris. It will take 3-4 million to keep him.

I cut/did not re-sign/Traded Kotalik, Kalininn, and Hecht, Teppo, and Peters
If Zuburis stays, he replaces Hecht. If he goes elsewhere, Hecht stays.

No fan of Spacek- but the contract makes it tough to get rid of him- and we will also need his veteran leadership when Teppo goes. In return- the Sabres do get a cheaper defenseman in a trade or FAcy.

One saving grace is that if Timmy gets hurt again- it gives us some cap space

RFA's Vanek, Roy, Paesch, Paille, get what I think are market priced deals

PLAYER 2007-08 salary

Briere, Daniel C 6.000 Estimate
Connolly, Tim C 3.000
Gaustad, Paul C 0.750

Zubrus, Dainius R 3.000 Estimate
Stafford, Drew R 0.984

Spacek, Jaroslav D 3.475
Lydman, Toni D 2.900
Campbell, Brian D 1.750
Funk, Michael D 0.635
Free Agent /Trade Guy 1.500 Estimate

Miller, Ryan G 2.667

TOTAL 50.061

Gone-

Kotalik, Ales R 2.50 Trade
Kalinin, Dmitri D 2.25 Trade
Numminen, Teppo D Gone

Hecht, Jochen C 2.35 Trade
Peters, Andrew L 0.650 Gone
I can live with all of that except I'd let Briere walk, trade Max, keep Hecht and Kotalik; use all that freed up money and make a play for Souray...not sold on MacArthur yet though.

camelcowboy
05-21-2007, 07:51 PM
I'd let Briere walk, keep Hecht and make a play for Souray. i agree, a shot in the arm for the power play, defense, and overall team toughness in one shot.

YardRat
05-21-2007, 07:58 PM
I'd let Briere walk, give more money to Zubrus, keep Peters for the regular season, sign the best defensemen I could for 3 mil, and leave 2 mil for cap room through the season or at the trade deadline. Maybe replace MacArthur with Card or another FA defensmen.

Briere leaves, frees up 6.000
Connolly, Tim C 3.000
Gaustad, Paul C 0.750

Zubrus, Dainius R 4.000 Estimate (added 1mil per year)
Stafford, Drew R 0.984

Peters, Andrew L 0.500 Estimate

Spacek, Jaroslav D 3.475
Lydman, Toni D 2.900
Campbell, Brian D 1.750
Free Agent /Trade Guy 3.00 Estimate (added 2.5 mil)

Miller, Ryan G 2.667

Crisis
05-21-2007, 08:04 PM
I think it's pretty safe to say there's no way Briere, Drury, and Zubrus are all on the team next year.

And man...7 mill for Drury (a 2nd line center) is ridiculous.

camelcowboy
05-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Connolly, Tim C 3.000
Gaustad, Paul C 0.750

Zubrus, Dainius R 3.5 Estimate
Stafford, Drew R 0.984

Ryan Smyth 5.5 Estimate

Spacek, Jaroslav D 3.475
Lydman, Toni D 2.900
Campbell, Brian D 1.750
Funk, Michael D 0.635
Free Agent /Trade Guy 1.5 million Estimate

Miller, Ryan G 2.667

TOTAL 50.061

Smyth Drury Zubrus
Vanek Roy Max
Paille Connolly Pommer
Mair Goose Stafford

Hank Lydman
Campbell Spacek
Paetch/ Gritty dman

Dr. Lecter
05-21-2007, 08:36 PM
I think it's pretty safe to say there's no way Briere, Drury, and Zubrus are all on the team next year.

Drury is much more than a 2nd line center.

Michael82
05-21-2007, 08:37 PM

$7 million is definitely a little crazy!

Ebenezer
05-21-2007, 08:49 PM
$7 million is definitely a little crazy!
no it's not...within 24 hours of FA starting he will have a $7/year offer in front of him. Mckee got $4 mil per?? Now, take his toughness and add Drury's 37G and assists to the mix...yes different position but Drury is probably twice as important, no?

Lone Stranger
05-22-2007, 09:44 AM
I believe all these comments have a lot of merit. I believe Yard Rat is a bit closer to where the Sabres will be.

Crisis
05-22-2007, 05:49 PM
Someone posted this on HFBoards:

Selanne - 6.0
Kovalchuk - 6.389
Hossa - 6.0
Iginla - 7.0
Havlat - 6.0
Federov - 6.08
Datsyuk - 6.7
Gaborik - 6.333
Elias - 6.0
Yashin - 7.415
Thornton - 6.666
Lecavalier - 6.875
Richards - 7.8
Sundin - 6.333
Naslund - 6.0

players making 6 mill+

And you guys want to give Drury 7? Sure, some of those players are way overpaid on that list, but Drury is not a 7 mill player.

camelcowboy
05-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Someone posted this on HFBoards:

Selanne - 6.0
Kovalchuk - 6.389
Hossa - 6.0
Iginla - 7.0
Havlat - 6.0
Federov - 6.08
Datsyuk - 6.7
Gaborik - 6.333
Elias - 6.0
Yashin - 7.415
Thornton - 6.666
Lecavalier - 6.875
Richards - 7.8
Sundin - 6.333
Naslund - 6.0

players making 6 mill+

And you guys want to give Drury 7? Sure, some of those players are way overpaid on that list, but Drury is not a 7 mill player.

I bolded all the players i would take Drury over. Looking at that list he might be a 8 million dollar player.

YardRat
05-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Drury is the one player, under these circumstances and at this time, that I would consider breaking the bank for. Give him 7mil and finish building around him.

camelcowboy
05-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Drury is the one player, under these circumstances and at this time, that I would consider breaking the bank for. Give him 7mil and finish building around him. offense,defense, Penalty kill, power play, face offs, leadership/clutch. He is very good in almost every aspect of the game. this makes him more valuable then almost any player in the league.

Crisis
05-22-2007, 07:58 PM
I bolded all the players i would take Drury over. Looking at that list he might be a 8 million dollar player.
Drury is quicky becoming overrated here. He's a good 2-way player and a leader, but for someone who's never cracked 70 points in a season, 7 is too much imo.

"Intangibles" aren't worth 7 mil.

That being said, I'd love to have Drury back at even 6. His play doesn't warrant him to be one of the highest paid players in the league though.

camelcowboy
05-22-2007, 08:19 PM
Drury is quicky becoming overrated here. He's a good 2-way player and a leader, but for someone who's never cracked 70 points in a season, 7 is too much imo.

"Intangibles" aren't worth 7 mil.

That being said, I'd love to have Drury back at even 6. His play doesn't warrant him to be one of the highest paid players in the league though. if they keep drury for 7 then im fine with it. With a team full of scorers and youth, leadership and intangibles are worth 7 million. Numbers are not the complete story here. He's the face of the franchise imo.

bumping my previous post

offense,defense, Penalty kill, power play, face offs, leadership/clutch. He is very good in almost every aspect of the game. this makes him more valuable then almost any player in the league.