Souray
Shanahan
Kimo Timmonen- very good puck moving defensmen, great on powerplay
Sundin- If leafs turn down his option
Kariya
Selannie
Gomez
Jannie Niinimma- fits the sabres mold of defenseman
Aaron Miller- yeah he's from the area, but he'll actually check someone would add grit.
Michael Peca- still lives in the area, a homecomming?
Matheu Scheinder
Kirk Maltby
Robert Lang
Bertuzzi
Brad Stuart
Roman Hamerlik
Craig Rivet
scott hannan
Patrick Marleau

Just some of the names that stood out, What you guys think

Dozerdog
05-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Unless they sign cheap- we can't afford them

Dozerdog
05-20-2007, 10:24 PM
If we lost Briere, Shanahan would interest me if he took a 1 year deal

camelcowboy
05-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Unless they sign cheap- we can't afford them Well we have options if we can't sign Drury, Briere or both. Pretty decent market, actually might lower the cost of signing our boys with so many options.

Dozerdog
05-20-2007, 10:27 PM
none of those players interest me as alternatives to Drury or Briere. I'd rather spend it on them

Kimmo Timonnen is a great player- but again we can't afford him unless we cut the players he would be passing to

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-20-2007, 10:28 PM
That is an impressive list of centers available - Drury, Gomez, Marleau, Briere, Lang, and I will throw in Scott Hartnell.

camelcowboy
05-20-2007, 10:38 PM
none of those players interest me as alternatives to Drury or Briere. I'd rather spend it on them

Kimmo Timonnen is a great player- but again we can't afford him unless we cut the players he would be passing to

I know me too dozer, but if we can sign one or another we might explore different options.

Drury, Hartnell
Drury, Smyth
Drury, Souray
Briere, Peca
Briere/Drury, shanahan

Im having a easier time finding ideas to soften the blow of losing Briere, The more and more i look at it, Drury needs to be signed.

casdhf
05-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Peca is exactly what this team needs!

Ebenezer
05-21-2007, 02:23 PM
and he led his team where? over the hill.

casdhf
05-21-2007, 02:24 PM
He wouldnt have to do anything other than entice riots and play with a little passion.

Ebenezer
05-21-2007, 02:25 PM
riots would not have won against Ottawa...

camelcowboy
05-21-2007, 02:29 PM
riots would not have won against Ottawa... Him killing penalties with Drury would have been a factor. His desire to skate into people along the boards would have been very good as well.

casdhf
05-21-2007, 02:39 PM
riots would not have won against Ottawa... I disagree. We may not have won the series, but we would have played in the first three games the way we played in the last 2.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
05-21-2007, 06:22 PM
Smyth
Hartnell
Souray
Shanahan
Kariya
Selannie
Gomez
Aaron Miller- yeah he's from the area, but he'll actually check someone would add grit.
Matheu Scheinder
Kirk Maltby
Robert Lang
Bertuzzi
Brad Stuart
Roman Hamerlik
Craig Rivet
scott hannan
Patrick Marleau

Just some of the names that stood out, What you guys think

The names in blue I wouldn't mind here

Nighthawk
05-21-2007, 09:40 PM
I know me too dozer, but if we can sign one or another we might explore different options.

Drury, Hartnell
Drury, Smyth
Drury, Souray
Briere, Peca
Briere/Drury, shanahan

Im having a easier time finding ideas to soften the blow of losing Briere, The more and more i look at it, Drury needs to be signed.

Drury & Smyth should be the Sabres targets...if they want to win the Cup.

Nighthawk
05-21-2007, 09:41 PM
The names in blue I wouldn't mind here

Do you watch hockey at all?

camelcowboy
05-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Hartnell
Souray
Shanahan - hate to say it, but he could help
Kariya
Selannie
Gomez
Matheu Scheinder
Kirk Maltby
Robert Lang
Bertuzzi
Brad Stuart
Roman Hamerlik
Craig Rivet
scott hannan
Patrick Marleau

players that could help this team.

Ebenezer
05-21-2007, 10:51 PM
too old:
Shanahan - hate to say it, but he could help
Roman Hamerlik

could help this team:
Souray
scott hannan

clumping platelets
05-21-2007, 11:12 PM
I disagree with Dozer, the Sabres are constructed to make the playoffs not win them.....we need to toughen this team up and if we need to TRADE away some pieces in order to add toughness and grit, then so be it. Drury fits that mold, Briere doesn't.....

I would also include F Jason Blake (NYI) on that list

Ebenezer
05-21-2007, 11:15 PM
we need to toughen this team up and if we need to TRADE away some pieces in order to add toughness and grit, then so be it. Drury fits that mold, Briere doesn't.....

which goes back to my point about Max and Kotalik...neither fit the mold but Max will get this team more back in a trade.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
05-21-2007, 11:29 PM
Like I said before, your going to see this team sign Drury and Briere and some of the players that were down in Rochester this year will be on this team next year.

camelcowboy
05-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Like I said before, your going to see this team sign Drury and Briere and some of the players that were down in Rochester this year will be on the team next year. We all know how your story goes, Kaleta is jesus, the team signs nothing but WNY natives. We trade for Patrick kane and our roster with its little expirence now becomes alot younger, but its good because they are homegrown. Boston does it so it must be right even though they have sucked for the last decade. Good plan :rolleyes:

Michael82
05-22-2007, 12:30 AM
We all know how your story goes, Kaleta is jesus, the team signs nothing but WNY natives. We trade for Patrick kane and our roster with its little expirence now becomes alot younger, but its good because they are homegrown. Boston does it so it must be right even though they have sucked for the last decade. Good plan :rolleyes:
:rofl: good one!

YardRat
05-22-2007, 05:55 AM
Drury is a must-sign. Briere can go. With Danny's projected salary in hand, we should be able to pick one, maybe two FA's to get tougher.

SABURZFAN
05-22-2007, 06:15 AM

kotalik would be a great start if we can't trade him.

camelcowboy
05-22-2007, 10:39 AM
kotalik would be a great start if we can't trade him. If anyone wants spacek that would be a coup.

LABillsFan
05-22-2007, 10:26 PM
I think the toughness on D needs to be adressed. You can plug in a Stafford or Paille, or Kaleta in the line up but a rookie to a 3 yr. player on D? No thanks, get a vet with grit. Hamrlik may not be the answer, even though after 13 seasons he plays between 22 and 30 min a game. He still may have it. Salo may be an option, Bieksa really came on in Vancouver, so Salo may be able to be had. Had both on fantasy team, which means squat I know. But I have at least a basis for knowing them.

Souray, from reports that I've read out of Montreal is that he is a malcontent once again. Not good for this club.

SkateZilla
05-23-2007, 03:19 AM

for what? to bench himself for a year while he whines over contract terms?, oops, he did that already here...