PDA

View Full Version : Will this work to re-sign Drury?

Dr. Lecter
05-21-2007, 08:07 AM
If he and his agent are willing to listen, I would obviously try to get him signed before FA starts. Of course, they might say no and tell the Sabres to wait for the bidding to start.

But here is how I would start with him:

5 years, $30 million. There is his 6 million per. If that is rejected, try 6 years at 35 million. Nearly 6 million per, but the overall guarentee is more. I would think about maxing out at 5 years ~33-34 million or 6 years 39 million.

When Galisano bought the team, he wanted to make Drury the face of the franchise. Now is the time to do so.

Regardless, and most of us agree, he is priorities 1, 2,3, and 4 this offseason. Hopefully Ruff and Darcy are signed as well so those issues do not hinder player signings (actually Darcy is probably #1, so there is a GM in place)

SabreEleven
05-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Honestly, I bet Drury can be signed for less than $6 Mil.

1. He doesn't have an ego.
2. He is a team player
3. He wants to win.

He knows that if he signs a huge salary it will take money away from other needs. I bet he'll sign for less than 5.

capitolneal
05-21-2007, 09:02 AM
Honestly, I bet Drury can be signed for less than $6 Mil.

1. He doesn't have an ego.
2. He is a team player
3. He wants to win.

He knows that if he signs a huge salary it will take money away from other needs. I bet he'll sign for less than 5.

God I hope you are right..... I know that Philly will be out for both our capts. But he is the epitomy of Team first and our team will be younger next yr, We need to sign him FIRST AND FOREMOST

Ebenezer
05-21-2007, 10:36 AM
why sign for less when somebody is going to offer you the maximum?

camelcowboy
05-21-2007, 10:42 AM

Guy wants to win is the only answer i could possible give to that. He has alot invested in this area, a house, if he has children which im not sure of. Really in the end the balls in his court because i think the sabres will pay him if wants to play here.

chernobylwraiths
05-21-2007, 11:44 AM

He would get a big offer, but I doubt any team would offer the maximum, or even close.

LABillsFan
05-23-2007, 12:27 AM
Lets consider Joe Thornton making just over 6mil with 114 pts this year.

Carlton Bailey
05-23-2007, 12:29 AM
Drury's pretty much God, and if you neglect to pay God, he's going to get pissed. Thus, Drury can have a stake in ownership for all I care. Just keep 23. He's a legend.

SkateZilla
05-23-2007, 12:37 AM
6 Years, 25 Million for both, which is around 4.16 Cap Hit, and they can change the priority of the yearly wages

Dr. Lecter
05-23-2007, 07:17 AM
Dude, that ain't happening.

Briere will not take a paycut.

SkateZilla
05-23-2007, 11:31 PM
Dude, that ain't happening.

Briere will not take a paycut.

He's Said before he's willing to..

He never wanted $5 Mill, he wanted 5+ Years...

YardRat
05-24-2007, 05:58 AM
Two things I've heard/read regarding Drury since the season ended...

1) He doesn't agree with the FO policy of not negotiating during the season.

2) He's expressed concern over not having consistent linemates.

I don't think there's any way, regardless of whether they stay or get lured to another team, that either Drury or Briere are making less than 6mil per year with their next contracts.

As I've said before, Drury is the one player I would consider breaking the bank for...Briere can go elsewhere and I'm OK with that, as long as part of his expected salary goes to tie up Zubrus and the other part goes to a top defensemen.