• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

There's always next year... or the year after... or the year after

To give credit where credit is due, this thought occurred to me after reading Thurm's thread in the Sabres zone.

The Bills' FO has done a great job of being able to tout mediocrity as success. They keep expectations low, so if we're not eliminated from playoff contention by Halloween, most people consider it a good season.

Last year it was because of a new coaching staff and GM. This year it's because of all the youth on the team. And of course there is always the "rebuilding" excuse.

Bills fans have come to accept mediocrity because of the FO's promise that it's building towards greatness. but the greatness never comes.

Well, at what point do we start judging this team based on real criteria like wins, playoff appearances and Super Bowls instead of just accepting a moderate amount of improvement? We need to stop drinking the kool-aid from One Bills Drive, get our pride back, and start holding this team to a higher standard.

I know a lot of you are going to write this off as "Op's just whining again" but seriously- what is a realistic time frame for "rebuilding"? How long does it take to make a franchise competitive again?
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • gr8slayer
    • Feb 2005

Re: There's always next year... or the year after... or the year after

Not this year but the next we will be in the hunt.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
      I know a lot of you are going to write this off as "Op's just whining again" but seriously-
      you mean we wouldn't be serious if we said so?
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan
        you mean we wouldn't be serious if we said so?
        whether you and Tatonka like it or not- I have a point here. We were 7-9 last year and a lot of us- myself included- thought we exceeded expectations. But it's still not good enough, regardless of how we let the FO set our expectations. Back in the early or mid 90's, 7-9 would have been a disaster. When do we get back to that point?

I'm sick of defining seasons based on improvement. I want to define seasons based on wins and playoff appearances.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

whether you and Tatonka like it or not- I have a point here. We were 7-9 last year and a lot of us- myself included- thought we exceeded expectations. But it's still not good enough, regardless of how we let the FO set our expectations. Back in the early or mid 90's, 7-9 would have been a disaster. When do we get back to that point?

I'm sick of defining seasons based on improvement. I want to define seasons based on wins and playoff appearances.

we didn't say you didn't have a point but tell us somethig you haven't already said a million times.

Go ahead though, it's a mb board. Vent all you want.....again. Get it off your chest.....again
          sacrifice1

Comment

Of course you're right Op. In fact, you've more or less replaced me here on the site since I left a few seasons ago. I couldn't help but notice.

But let's be fair to Tatonka here, he's got some great points:

Tampons
            Tissues

It's very difficult to argue with those things. Especially on message boards. A little more serious issue and a few hundred more people out on the street and you'd probably be hanging from a light pole.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
              Pinkerton's son
              • Feb 2006

I really truly believe that our team is headed in the right direction right now. I honestly can say that next year, if we keep our core intact and add a couple more peices (CB, WR, maybe TE), we will be a playoff team, no doubt about it. Its hard to say that marv hasnt altered the path of this franchise. He is infusing out talent pool with players that they think will work in our systems, and, god willing, it is going to work out. I dont expect great things this year, but next year, if we add some peices, i definitely expect the playoffs.

Comment

we didn't say you didn't have a point but tell us somethig you haven't already said a million times.

Go ahead though, it a mb board. Vent all you want. Get it off your chest.
                And then there's posts like this one;

Of course you (and others) have said it a "million times."

Of course what they've said is only said once or twice you must understand.

I mean there's hardly ever any talk of players, coaching, or management actually doing a good job before the wheels routinely come off the cart in ceremonius fashion as all of those raved about try to figure out how they got size 14EEE Vibram prints on the seats of their pants.

LOL

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Wys Guy
                  Of course you're right Op. In fact, you've more or less replaced me here on the site since I left a few seasons ago. I couldn't help but notice.

But let's be fair to Tatonka here, he's got some great points:

Tampons
                  Tissues

It's very difficult to argue with those things. Especially on message boards. A little more serious issue and a few hundred more people out on the street and you'd probably be hanging from a light pole.

Not really. Op's always been OP. Moran on the other hand replaced you but you're back? So how's that? Who's gonna be numero uno Jr. Journalist?
                  sacrifice1

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
                    I really truly believe that our team is headed in the right direction right now. I honestly can say that next year, if we keep our core intact and add a couple more peices (CB, WR, maybe TE), we will be a playoff team, no doubt about it. Its hard to say that marv hasnt altered the path of this franchise. He is infusing out talent pool with players that they think will work in our systems, and, god willing, it is going to work out. I dont expect great things this year, but next year, if we add some peices, i definitely expect the playoffs.
                    I think we could be on the right track, but I have two concerns- you alluded to one of them: keeping the team intact. Whether this team becomes a contender anytime soon depends on how well we do at keeping the team together. Marv may have the right idea with "cash to cap", but that strategy will eventually have to be abandoned if we're going to keep our guys

The other concern: We've got some young guys and it depends how many of them pan out. I'm sure some of them will be great, but some of them will also suck. So it just depends on how well the young guys do, and how decisively the poorer ones are replaced (I hope we don't get into the "THIS will be his breakout season" mentality for 5 years on some of these guys like we've done with Josh Reed).
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

And then there's posts like this one;

Of course you (and others) have said it a "million times."

Of course what they've said is only said once or twice you must understand.

I mean there's hardly ever any talk of players, coaching, or management actually doing a good job before the wheels routinely come off the cart in ceremonius fashion as all of those raved about try to figure out how they got size 14EEE Vibram prints on the seats of their pants.

LOL
                      It's kinda hard to argue with someone who wants to blame Marv for TD's mistakes , no? It's not like it's MArv's fault that we're rebuilding. Blame Ralphy but not Marv. That's just assanine.
                      sacrifice1

Comment

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
                        OK, so add one more then. The problem with this, and not to pick exclusively on you pinkdogg32, is that that and four-bucks will get you a fluffy coffee at Starbucks.

People said the same thing, with the same conviction, vehemence, confidence, assertiveness, etc., etc., etc., in '02, '03, '04, '05, '06.

Yet, here we are, riding a streak of what, 7 seasons no playoffs and 12 years no playoff wins.

In essence, the credibility here on this issues, pretty much lies with those that are fed up and can extrapolate a bunch of failures and people with no experience brought together with nothing but mere hopes as a foundation.

Also, a lot of talk recently about rebuilding and the ILDD having a plan. Well, what happened last year when they specifically stated that they were not rebuilding?

Did they lie to you? Were they playing the veteran players (Spikes, Fletcher, etc.) as fools? Just using them at the expense of another year of their careers?

They were either not honest or don't know what they're doing. Meanwhile, everyone supporting them has bought they're "we're rebuilding on youth" talk that just bought them another year while you support them.

I for one don't see much of a plan. It's deja vu with the team once again ignoring the trenches in whatever it is that they're doing.

Sounds as if they grossly misassessed the team that they had when they arrived here. That shouldn't inspire confidence in anyone.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                          Pinkerton's son
                          • Feb 2006

I think we could be on the right track, but I have two concerns- you alluded to one of them: keeping the team intact. Whether this team becomes a contender anytime soon depends on how well we do at keeping the team together. Marv may have the right idea with "cash to cap", but that strategy will eventually have to be abandoned if we're going to keep our guys

The other concern: We've got some young guys and it depends how many of them pan out. I'm sure some of them will be great, but some of them will also suck. So it just depends on how well the young guys do, and how decisively the poorer ones are replaced (I hope we don't get into the "THIS will be his breakout season" mentality for 5 years on some of these guys like we've done with Josh Reed).
                          Agreed. I am not a fan of the cash to cap simply because of the fact that it makes it seems to make it so difficult to sign big contracts like the kind Lee Evans may demand soon. I am no expert on this type of contract, but if we dont sign Lee its going to be tough. As far as the rookies, I expect them to be like any other rookies, some will boom and some will bust but they will obviously have a big role in how we pan out the next 2 years.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Also, a lot of talk recently about rebuilding and the ILDD having a plan. Well, what happened last year when they specifically stated that they were not rebuilding?
                            we didn't finish worse in franchise history

<-- wys
                            sacrifice1

Comment

It's kinda hard to argue with someone who wants to blame Marv for TD's mistakes , no? It's not like it's MArv's fault that we're rebuilding. Blame Ralphy but not Marv. That's just assanine.
                              Marv himself insisted that we were not rebuilding last year. The players reiterated that after expressing concerns in that way.

Man, the blind certainly enjoy staying that way.

Feel free to fully believe every word that exits Marv, Dick, or anyone else's lips at OBD. Your post just synopsized everything that my prior post stated as a perfect case in point.

Comment

Working...
                              X