PDA

View Full Version : Day One OTA Notes

The Spaz
05-21-2007, 12:41 PM
Day one of OTAs for the Bills began Monday as the players began working on their offensive, defensive and special teams schemes. It begins a three week stretch in which the players will be in for padless practices and weight room workouts.

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4795

justasportsfan
05-21-2007, 12:51 PM
http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

J.P. CHECKING WITH LINEMEN: After practice today Losman checked in with Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker to see how things went for them out on the field with the calls and his cadence. J.P.'s cadence is something the new linemen will have to get used to so he was checking in with them in the locker room after they came off the field. Walker and Dockery both felt they were getting a feel for it as the practice wore on.

WALKER AT MLB?: Don't mean to scare anyone, but it was certainly an interesting site today at the first day of OTAs for the Bills. Langston Walker standing all of 6'8" lined up at middle linebacker during a walk through drill by the offense. The defense was working on their own stuff at the other end of the field, so to give the second team offense a proper defensive look alignment-wise, Walker was a "middle linebacker."

I'll say one thing I wouldn't be throwing any passes over the middle with his height and wingspan. I don't care how he moves in space, that guy would bat just about anything out of the air sitting in there.

Romes
05-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Best thing in the notes is:

Ashton Youboty ran stride for stride with Lee Evanshttp://buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4795#) on a go route 40 yards downfield. There was some hand checking along the way.

if he can, continuously, run with lee you figure he'll be able to hold his own on sundays.

madness
05-21-2007, 01:01 PM

if he can, continuously, run with lee you figure he'll be able to hold his own on sundays.

I thought that too. Although little in contrast to where we need him to be, it was very refreshing to see that he can run with Evans.

Mr. Miyagi
05-21-2007, 01:02 PM

I like to hear that. :up:

OpIv37
05-21-2007, 01:06 PM
Losman got picked TWICE by John DiGiorgio? I don't know if this should make me feel better about the LB's or nervous about Losman. I'm leaning towards nervous....

Mr. Miyagi
05-21-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm leaning towards nervous....
Of course you are as always.

casdhf
05-21-2007, 01:11 PM
There's a suprise.

madness
05-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Losman got picked TWICE by John DiGiorgio? I don't know if this should make me feel better about the LB's or nervous about Losman. I'm leaning towards nervous....

On defense John DiGiorgio had a strong first day with a pair of interceptions off Losman in 7-on-7 work. The first pick came over the middle on a pass intended for Everett. DiGiorgio leaped and reached high over his head to snare the pass and take it the other way. His second INT came a couple of series later when Donte Whitner tipped a pass intended for Shaud Williamshttp://www.buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4795#) that DiGiorgio came down with and also tried to return.

One looked liked it was an excellent athletic move by DiGiorgio and the other was a tipped pass. Pop a Xanax and calm down... goosefraba!

The last buffalo fan
05-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Looks to me, that K. Everett is getting more involved on the O now.

Philagape
05-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Anyone who has any emotional reaction whatsoever to something that happens in May is a basket case.

cocamide
05-21-2007, 01:31 PM

If he threw 10 touchdown passes it wouldn't mean a thing because it's the first friggen day of OTAs! Likewise, if he throws 5 ints it doesn't mean a damn thing either. What if the receivers ran the wrong route? Based on your logic, DiGiorgio should now be our starting MLB because you must feel pretty confident about his abilities after that amazing performance.

cocamide
05-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Anyone know why Schobel isn't there?

TacklingDummy
05-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Losman got picked TWICE by John DiGiorgi

Doesn't surprise me.

Is Edwards at the OTA's?

OpIv37
05-21-2007, 01:55 PM
If he threw 10 touchdown passes it wouldn't mean a thing because it's the first friggen day of OTAs! Likewise, if he throws 5 ints it doesn't mean a damn thing either. What if the receivers ran the wrong route? Based on your logic, DiGiorgio should now be our starting MLB because you must feel pretty confident about his abilities after that amazing performance.

sorry, but I don't think it's too much to expect the QB not to get picked off by the 2nd year, 3rd string UDFA LB, even on the first day of OTA's.

Philagape
05-21-2007, 02:03 PM
I expect irrational reactions to preseason games in August, but to see it about 7-on-7 OTA drills in May is absolutely freaking unbelievable.

justasportsfan
05-21-2007, 02:04 PM
sorry, but I don't think it's too much to expect the QB not to get picked off by the 2nd year, 3rd string UDFA LB, even on the first day of OTA's.
even when he's rusty and trying to get a feel of the new players?

OpIv37
05-21-2007, 02:09 PM

but DiGiorgio's not rusty or trying to get a feel for the new LB arrangement? If it works one way, it has to work the other way as well.

TacklingDummy
05-21-2007, 02:09 PM

What new recievers is JP throwing to?

OpIv37
05-21-2007, 02:10 PM
I expect irrational reactions to preseason games in August, but to see it about 7-on-7 OTA drills in May is absolutely freaking unbelievable.

yet, if Losman threw three 80 yard bombs to Evans or Poz had three INT's, everyone would be drooling over their performance and no one would call it "ridiculous" to be excited.

Hmmm.....

justasportsfan
05-21-2007, 02:17 PM
but DiGiorgio's not rusty or trying to get a feel for the new LB arrangement? If it works one way, it has to work the other way as well.

Okay. The sky is falling in may . You win. Let's pack it up

:coocoo:

OpIv37
05-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Okay. The sky is falling. You win. :coocoo:

no one said the sky is falling. But it's not exactly a promising sign.

See, here's the problem. Every time someone mentions something bad about the team, people like you jump in with sarcastic "Oh No! The Sky is Falling" posts. And the sarcasm would be justified if it was one incident that occurred in a vaccuum.

However, it's not. It's a piece of a whole. And when all those things are taken as a whole, the outlook isn't very good.

Combine that with the fact that you never complain when people get overly excited about good things that are equally trivial....

TacklingDummy
05-21-2007, 02:21 PM
Okay. The sky is falling in may . You win. Let's pack it up

:coocoo:

The Sky has been falling since around 1999, where have you been? Im tired of the Bills sucking.

justasportsfan
05-21-2007, 02:22 PM

See, here's the problem. Every time someone mentions something bad about the team, people like you jump in with sarcastic "Oh No! The Sky is Falling" posts. And the sarcasm would be justified if it was one incident that occurred in a vaccuum.

However, it's not. It's a piece of a whole. And when all those things are taken as a whole, the outlook isn't very good.

Combine that with the fact that you never complain when people get overly excited about good things that are equally trivial....
Okay, my bad. I should've said, you can worry about it all you want. :up:

mysticsoto
05-21-2007, 02:40 PM

Op, I think this is more likely a good sign of DiGiorgio. I remember seeing him a couple of times do something last year and being surprised and having to look up his number and asking who is #52...sure enough, it was DiGiorgio. I think he's an excellent backup and good depth to have! There were times when he looked really good out there.

patmoran2006
05-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Schobel wasnt there?
how come?

alohabillsfan
05-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Let's keep everything that happens during the OTA's and training camp in perspective! OK Digorgio made a nice leaping catch, great! JP threaded the needle, OK Whoopie! They ain't even in pads yet! Lets pray for our team to remain healthy!

Yasgur's Farm
05-21-2007, 02:55 PM
I expect every report of every OTA, mini camp, training camp to be picked over for JP bashing news. It's just the way a few here operate.

billsburgh
05-21-2007, 03:15 PM
it's the first freaking practice Losman has had in 5 months. it's expected. he'll be fine in August.

John Doe
05-21-2007, 03:16 PM
On the defensive side of the ball the linebacking corps figured to see some changes with the departures of a couple of veterans. The top linebacking trio Monday featured Angelo Crowellhttp://buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4795#) on the strong side, second-year man John DiGiorgiohttp://buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4795#) in the middle and Keith Ellisonhttp://buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4795#) on the weak side.

On defense John DiGiorgio had a strong first day with a pair of interceptions off Losman in 7-on-7 work. The first pick came over the middle on a pass intended for Everett. DiGiorgio leaped and reached high over his head to snare the pass and take it the other way. His second INT came a couple of series later when Donte Whitner tipped a pass intended for Shaud Williamshttp://buffalobills.com/images/relatedicon.gif (http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4795#) that DiGiorgio came down with and also tried to return.

I Think that DiGiogio could be a solid #4 linebacker this season.

OpIv37
05-21-2007, 03:17 PM
I Think that DiGiogio could be a solid #4 linebacker this season.

don't get your hopes up- according to Justa, what happens on the first day of OTA's doesn't mean anything.

justasportsfan
05-21-2007, 03:19 PM
don't get your hopes up- according to Justa, what happens on the first day of OTA's doesn't mean anything.
haha!

EDS
05-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Schobel wasnt there?
how come?

Good question. I sure hope this is not a contract issue. Hopefully it was just a scheduling thing (even better if it was because he was at an all-you-can-eat buffet). Same with A-Train.

I guess we all know why Walker wasn't there.

SquishDaFish
05-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Op most of the time I love your posts bro. But your going a little overboard here bro. Calm down man its only begining of OTAs.

OpIv37
05-21-2007, 03:32 PM
Op most of the time I love your posts bro. But your going a little overboard here bro. Calm down man its only begining of OTAs.

hey I never said Losman was going to suck because of a few OTA miscues. All I'm saying is that it's not an encouraging sign.

billsburgh
05-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Schobel wasnt there?
how come?
sources tell me that he is upset with his contract compared to Kelsay's new deal.

:jk:

jmb1099
05-21-2007, 05:02 PM
Its may. No disrespect intended but its may and yes it applies to everyone concerned. If he tosses 3 or 4 ints in preseason than I'm nervous, not now, way too early.

ParanoidAndroid
05-21-2007, 05:08 PM
THIS is not a very encouraging sign:
http://mythicaldude.typepad.com/mythicaldude/images/danger_mines_2.jpg

Interceptions in OTA's aren't even signs.

patmoran2006
05-21-2007, 05:14 PM
I dont care if its Day one of OTA or the day before the regular season.

This team is NOT talented and tough enough; and based on this sorry defense I suspect we'll see this year. The Bills have a much better shot at competiting for a Top 6 draft pick next year then they do of competiting for a top 6 AFC playoff spot.

alohabillsfan
05-21-2007, 05:16 PM
I dont care if its Day one of OTA or the day before the regular season.

This team is NOT talented and tough enough; and based on this sorry defense I suspect we'll see this year. The Bills have a much better shot at competiting for a Top 6 draft pick next year then they do of competiting for a top 6 AFC playoff spot.

Oh the gloom and doom~ What is it like going through life miserable? 1 Freaking practice? Get a grip!

Dr. Lecter
05-21-2007, 05:50 PM

Dude, chill.

It is an OTA.

Anybody who thinks any of this stuff, whether it is TD being joyful at Losman throwing a pick, or somebody thinking Youboty covering Evans, means a damn thing is looking way too hard into this stuff.

OpIv37
05-21-2007, 06:01 PM
Dude, chill.

It is an OTA.

Anybody who thinks any of this stuff, whether it is TD being joyful at Losman throwing a pick, or somebody thinking Youboty covering Evans, means a damn thing is looking way too hard into this stuff.

if you're telling me to chill, you better go back and tell John Doe to chill for saying he thinks DiGiorgio is a formidable MLB based on the same exact scenario.

Again, I didn't say it meant Losman sucked- I just said it's a bad sign to add to the plethora of bad signs we already have for this team.

Goobylal
05-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Tom Brady and Peyton Manning NEVER throw INT's in OTA's, minicamps, or pre-season. :rolleyes:

patmoran2006
05-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Oh the gloom and doom~ What is it like going through life miserable? 1 Freaking practice? Get a grip!
LOL bro.. the fate of this team more than likely was sealed long before their first practice.

It's sad to me, because the offense CAN compete with teams in the AFC. The defense simply; will not.

X-Era
05-21-2007, 07:52 PM
Doesn't surprise me.

Is Edwards at the OTA's?

I dont think Marc Edwards is in the league anymore.

Dr. Lecter
05-21-2007, 08:12 PM
LOL bro.. the fate of this team more than likely was sealed long before their first practice.

It's sad to me, because the offense CAN compete with teams in the AFC. The defense simply; will not.

Of course not.

No sense in playing the games is there?

YardRat
05-21-2007, 08:14 PM
Where's HamSandwich Productions when you need them? We could use some kind of meter to give us an up-to-date guage on how the fans think the team is doing.

gil
05-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Of course not.

No sense in playing the games is there?

Yeah, my sources tell me Marv has given up completely and bought a timeshare at Del Boca Vista, however he's worried because PatMoran said his shuffelboard team will struggle with distance control all year long.

mayotm
05-21-2007, 08:22 PM

Combine that with the fact that you never complain when people get overly excited about good things that are equally trivial....No, the problem is that every time anybody mentions anything good about the Bills, you and a few others are there to rain on the parade. This is site for Bills fans. People want to be positive about the team they love. If I want to read a bunch of crap about the Bills every second, I'll visit a Dolphin, Jets or Pats message board. You are freaking out about Losman's performance in a May practice?? Get a life!!!! I'll save you the trouble of a response. Anybody getting excited about DiGorigo making plays in a May practice is equally insane!!!

alohabillsfan
05-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Lynch runs for 100 yards and 11 carries in first training camp practice and the optimist will say Lynch is the man!!
Pessimist will say yea, I could run for 100 yards against that defense!

alohabillsfan
05-21-2007, 08:35 PM

Why is that, factually speaking?

OpIv37
05-21-2007, 08:46 PM
No, the problem is that every time anybody mentions anything good about the Bills, you and a few others are there to rain on the parade. This is site for Bills fans. People want to be positive about the team they love. If I want to read a bunch of crap about the Bills every second, I'll visit a Dolphin, Jets or Pats message board. You are freaking out about Losman's performance in a May practice?? Get a life!!!! I'll save you the trouble of a response. Anybody getting excited about DiGorigo making plays in a May practice is equally insane!!!

I said that I was LEANING TOWARDS BEING NERVOUS. Does that now constitute freaking out? Almost being nervous?

You're the one that's freaking out because someone expressed the slightest hint of doubt about the team and you don't know how to deal with it.

John Doe
05-21-2007, 09:14 PM
I am glad the the Bills camp is off to a great start.

It looks like a good season coming up.

HHURRICANE
05-21-2007, 09:30 PM
I said that I was LEANING TOWARDS BEING NERVOUS. Does that now constitute freaking out? Almost being nervous?

You're the one that's freaking out because someone expressed the slightest hint of doubt about the team and you don't know how to deal with it.

DiGorgio is a monster!! I'm supised he didn't have 3 picks. Super Bowl baby!!!!!!!!!!!