PDA

View Full Version : Bills sign CB Jason Webster

Gunzlingr
05-21-2007, 03:30 PM
Per Vcoach.

Coach Sal
05-21-2007, 03:32 PM
8 year vet

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg1 align=middle><TD>Year</TD><TD>Team</TD><TD>G</TD><TD>Total</TD><TD>Tkl</TD><TD>Ast</TD><TD>Sacks</TD><TD>Int</TD><TD>Yds</TD><TD>Avg</TD><TD>Lg</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>Pass Def</TD></TR><TR class=bg3 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>2000</TD><TD align=left>San Francisco 49ers</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>59</TD><TD>44.0</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>78</TD><TD>39.0</TD><TD>70</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>9</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>2001</TD><TD align=left>San Francisco 49ers</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>75</TD><TD>67.0</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>0.5</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>61</TD><TD>20.3</TD><TD>31</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>7</TD></TR><TR class=bg3 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>2002</TD><TD align=left>San Francisco 49ers</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>85</TD><TD>71.0</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>37</TD><TD>37.0</TD><TD>37</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>9</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>2003</TD><TD align=left>San Francisco 49ers</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>7.0</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>17</TD><TD>17.0</TD><TD>17</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>2</TD></TR><TR class=bg3 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>2004</TD><TD align=left>Atlanta Falcons</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>40</TD><TD>38.0</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>18.0</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>9</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>2005</TD><TD align=left>Atlanta Falcons</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>79</TD><TD>73.0</TD><TD>6</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>19</TD><TD>19.0</TD><TD>19</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>4</TD></TR><TR class=bg3 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>2006</TD><TD align=left>Atlanta Falcons</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>49</TD><TD>39.0</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>-2</TD><TD>-1.0</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>3</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 id=total_CAREER_DEFENSIVEBACK vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD class=bg4 align=left>TOTAL</TD><TD class=bg4 align=left></TD><TD class=bg4>86</TD><TD class=bg4>397</TD><TD class=bg4>339.0</TD><TD class=bg4>58</TD><TD class=bg4>0.5</TD><TD class=bg4>11</TD><TD class=bg4>228</TD><TD class=bg4>20.7</TD><TD class=bg4>70</TD><TD class=bg4>2</TD><TD class=bg4>43</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

casdhf
05-21-2007, 03:32 PM
He was good ... a few years ago

The Spaz
05-21-2007, 03:34 PM
Stats say he can tackle.

casdhf
05-21-2007, 03:35 PM
I remember hearing alot about him when he was in SF ... but once he get to ATL, I didn't hear anything about him.

justasportsfan
05-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Sb here we come.

The justahomer

Ickybaluky
05-21-2007, 03:38 PM
From ESPN:

Webster has quick feet and a good feel for the position. He recognizes routes very quickly and has a good understanding of what opposing offenses are trying to accomplish. He plays with great effort and is dangerous with the ball in his hands. He breaks down very well and is a good tackler. He can return kicks in a pinch. But Webster is tiny, fragile and best suited to nickelback. He lacks ideal height, bulk and strength. He gets outmuscled by stronger wideouts and doesn't compete well for jump balls against taller receivers. He gets picked on in the red zone. He lacks ideal speed and is prone to giving up the deep ball. He isn't built for taking on bigger running backs or tight ends in space. He has fought numerous injuries in the past and comes with serious durability issues.

justasportsfan
05-21-2007, 03:39 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4796

Looking to add more of a veteran presence to their stable of cornerbacks, the Bills agreed to terms with eight-year veteran Jason Webster Monday.

Webster, who made a free agent visit to Buffalo last week, brings a welcome dose of experience to a Bills cornerback contingent that aside from Kiwaukee Thomas and Terrence McGee does not possess an inordinate amount of time on the field.

"He's a disciplined player with quick feet," said Bills director of pro personnel John Guy who scouted him in college. "He's small in stature, but for his size he's pretty physical and courageous in throwing his body around. He understands leverage. He's a solid player."

The Spaz
05-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Good for depth.

Mr. Pink
05-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Depth?

I'm willing to bet on opening day he's gonna be our nickle corner.

justasportsfan
05-21-2007, 03:42 PM
that kinda makes me feel better about the Edwards pick. Not saying he's our future but I think he'll contribute more than Hughes would for the meantime.

Mr. Miyagi
05-21-2007, 03:43 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4796

Looking to add more of a veteran presence to their stable of cornerbacks, the Bills agreed to terms with eight-year veteran Jason Webster Monday.

Webster, who made a free agent visit to Buffalo last week, brings a welcome dose of experience to a Bills cornerback contingent that aside from Kiwaukee Thomas and Terrence McGee does not possess an inordinate amount of time on the field.

"He's a disciplined player with quick feet," said Bills director of pro personnel John Guy who scouted him in college. "He's small in stature, but for his size he's pretty physical and courageous in throwing his body around. He understands leverage. He's a solid player."
Antwain Winfield

Coach Sal
05-21-2007, 03:43 PM
This is from the AP after his release:

ATLANTA -- The Atlanta Falcons released cornerback Jason Webster on Thursday, ridding themselves of another high-priced flop on defense.

Webster played only 33 games, including 29 starts, during a three-year tenure in Atlanta that was plagued by injuries.

His fate was sealed when the Falcons picked Arkansas cornerback Chris Houston in the second round of the NFL draft. They expect the rookie to compete for a starting job right away, with second-year player Jimmy Williams moving from cornerback to safety.

The 29-year-old Webster had four interceptions and 178 tackles during his time in Atlanta. He didn't come close to measuring up to expectations after the team gave him a six-year contract worth about $18 million, which included a $7 million signing bonus.

Ouch.

patmoran2006
05-21-2007, 03:45 PM
Wrote about him in another thread..

Guess its training camp competition for a backup spot.. He's certainly nothing to get excited about... I liked him college though.

justasportsfan
05-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Antwain Winfield
How I wish. Doubt he's as good.

Tatonka
05-21-2007, 03:51 PM
the thing is that some times teams just dont work out for players.. it looks like he was a good starter in san fran and then he got his big deal with atlanta and sucked... last time i checked, everyone but hall sucks in atlantas secondary and has for some time...

i am not saying he is the answer, but thomas played well for us last season.. but was just an average guy prior to that.. there is no telling what scheme will work out for what guy..

i was hoping for shawn springs when he gets cut, and maybe that will still happen, but this can do nothing but help the team. there is zero risk, and if we got ourselves a nickle back that can start if someone gets hurt, then its a good signing.

ParanoidAndroid
05-21-2007, 03:52 PM
Not even close.

raphael120
05-21-2007, 04:06 PM
He had 1 more INT last year in 8 games than McGee did in 16 games.

Night Train
05-21-2007, 04:10 PM
HE's a BACKUP with experience. I think many are reading too much into this. He might not even make the final roster. He's competing for CB postion #5 with a few UDFA's behind McGee, Thomas, Youboty and Greer.

TigerJ
05-21-2007, 04:20 PM
Antwain Winfield

Antoine Winfield has a solid record of durability in the league and has excellent speed. Not many WRs can outrun him.

Sounds to me like this guy will compete for a roster spot, but I don't know that he's a shoe-in to make the team. I think among the youngsters (Coleman, Lewis, Swanson, and Bassey) all are probably bigger and Bassey is a good bit faster. Thus, if any of the youngsters show they can play in preseason, I think one of them might beat out Webster.

gil
05-21-2007, 04:50 PM
At least they recognize that we need depth at CB - I anticipate we'll get other vets in here after the June 1 cuts as well.

YardRat
05-21-2007, 05:19 PM
Doesn't hurt to give the kid a look, especially if he came cheap.

eyedog
05-21-2007, 05:34 PM
It looks like a lot of small corners for the Bills against a lot of big receivers for the Pats. Not good.

ShadowHawk7
05-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Doesn't hurt to give the kid a look, especially if he came cheap.
Not exactly a kid anymore. He seems to be our Kiwaukee Thomas signing from last year. Very similar prior backgrounds and expectations for this year. I expect him to battle with KT and Greer for the 3 and 4 spots.

I like this signing. As Justa previously said, he'll be more of a contributor than any 3rd/4th pick would have been at least for the short term. And we already seem to have our long term answer in Youboty.

RedEyE
05-21-2007, 07:28 PM
If he can stay healthy he might be a suprise player this year. Otherwise he's strictly depth.

RedEyE
05-21-2007, 07:30 PM
Dumb move, we really should have signed Keyshawn or E. Moulds back before we signed this washed up dude.

We still have a lot of holes to fill and the FA market is sliiiiiiiiim pickens.

huh?

Scumbag College
05-21-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm not doing cartwheels in the street, nor am I vomiting in terror about the signing.

If he can recover from his injuries and his skills haven't deteriorated, he may be a nice contribution.

feldspar
05-21-2007, 08:01 PM
Antoine Winfield was a HUGE tackler. A hard hitter. He had no problem bringing guys down.

Michael82
05-21-2007, 08:41 PM
I like this signing. You don't need star CBs in the Cover 2 defense and he was pretty good in San Fran. :up:

mysticsoto
05-21-2007, 09:20 PM
It looks like a lot of small corners for the Bills against a lot of big receivers for the Pats. Not good.

True, but if the DL does their job, it may not matter. The cover 2 depends alot on that front 4 providing pressure to force QBs to rush and make mistakes. Yeah, Brady doesn't make many mistakes, but then again...if you look at the Colts game in the AFC Championship game last year, the Colts did a good job of harassing Brady just enough. Our DL needs to be able to do the same!

Ed
05-21-2007, 10:44 PM
11 Int's in 8 seasons doesn't look so bad to me when you consider Kiwauke has 0 Int's in 7 seasons and he's a potential starter for us. I'd rather have this guy competing at CB then another undrafted rookie FA.

Good signing. From what I understand it's a cheap one year deal. What's the risk and who could we bring in at this point that's better?

DraftBoy
05-21-2007, 11:54 PM
If he can recover to his 49er form it could be a decent signing, but god was he horrible in Atlanta. Just painful to watch at times.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-22-2007, 06:25 AM
He's a S.C.R.U.B.

Who cares what he cost us....dumb dumb move man.

Seriously, please explain why picking up a veteran corner for competition is dumb? I don't get some of you. How old are you? I swear if you guys haven't heard of a guy he is a terrible move. This isn't a dumb move, nobody is saying this kid becomes a starter, they sign a guy for competition and if he wins the job, great. If he doesn't, so what, they need depth.

njsue
05-22-2007, 06:28 AM
Too small.

Michael82
05-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Too small.
Tell that to to Antoine Winfield! :shakeno:

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Too small.

I think if you have remain in the NFL for seven years, you can pretty much take off the "he is to small" label.

DraftBoy
05-22-2007, 09:30 AM
Seriously, please explain why picking up a veteran corner for competition is dumb? I don't get some of you. How old are you? I swear if you guys haven't heard of a guy he is a terrible move. This isn't a dumb move, nobody is saying this kid becomes a starter, they sign a guy for competition and if he wins the job, great. If he doesn't, so what, they need depth.

Im not saying your wrong, but by using this logic, no matter who we sign , whether it be a TO or it be some PS fodder its a good signing solely because the Bills did it, and it may pan out. You leave no room for critcism in your logic which to me makes no sense. I agree this isnt a bad signing since at one time he proved he was a decent depth CB and we need the help bad. But without knowing the numbers, and knowing how bad he was in Atlanta, one cant help but be somewhat weary of this signing. I hope he reverts back to his old days and that he just couldnt get the Atlanta system, but truth be told they ran a similar Cover 2 system to us, and he never picked it up, now he had bad safeties in Atlanta so he'll have an improvement over that here. So hopefulyl a new DC can better explain the system and his responsibilities. However there is plenty to be skeptical about with this signing, and maybe more to be worried about when his numbers are released.

Generalissimus Gibby
05-22-2007, 09:39 AM
I like the pick up for a few reasons.

1) Experience, we don't have a whole lot of that, but he can teach youngsters how to play

2) Depth, he is experienced and might be similar to oh I don't know perhaps a Leonard Smith type guy. Someone who can start if needed but is there to mainly provide veteran leadership

3) Could step in and play, remember in the Buffalo 2 (Tampa 2) scheme CB isn't the most vital position and if with Youboty he provides a very nice rotation scheme

The glass is half full. That and there is a reason that the ATL situation did not work. The reason is mainly that their lockerroom was full of cancers.

DraftBoy
05-22-2007, 09:44 AM
The glass is half full. That and there is a reason that the ATL situation did not work. The reason is mainly that their lockerroom was full of cancers.

Thats a horrible mischaracterization of a team, based off of one player in Mike Vick. The only other guy you could potentially begin to promote as a cancer is DeAngelo Hall and all reports are that he is a great teammate.

mysticsoto
05-22-2007, 09:48 AM
Im not saying your wrong, but by using this logic, no matter who we sign , whether it be a TO or it be some PS fodder its a good signing solely because the Bills did it, and it may pan out. You leave no room for critcism in your logic which to me makes no sense. I agree this isnt a bad signing since at one time he proved he was a decent depth CB and we need the help bad. But without knowing the numbers, and knowing how bad he was in Atlanta, one cant help but be somewhat weary of this signing. I hope he reverts back to his old days and that he just couldnt get the Atlanta system, but truth be told they ran a similar Cover 2 system to us, and he never picked it up, now he had bad safeties in Atlanta so he'll have an improvement over that here. So hopefulyl a new DC can better explain the system and his responsibilities. However there is plenty to be skeptical about with this signing, and maybe more to be worried about when his numbers are released.

I don't think there is much to be too skeptical about. He is likely veteran depth and unlikely to see the field often unless he comes in here and wows people - which I doubt he will do. We need depth with experience and now we got it. Sounds like a win-win situation. I'm still hoping that Bassey will come off the PS and show understanding of this system enough to earn some playing time. He definitely has the physical attributes and just needs to learn. He's had exposure, now it's time for the test...

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-22-2007, 09:51 AM

No, if the team goes out and spends a lot of money on a guy you don't like, argue it. You sign a guy for what has to be the minimum or close to it, the signing is fine. The signing bonus cannot be much and won't hurt your cap next season. I guess I am assuming the guy signed for minimum because of the l length he has been on the market. If I am wrong in my assumption then I will be wrong, but, I don't think I am. If I am correct, this isn't a bad move because you get a veteran at a good cost to add to a questionable CB corps.

DraftBoy
05-22-2007, 09:51 AM
I don't think there is much to be too skeptical about. He is likely veteran depth and unlikely to see the field often unless he comes in here and wows people - which I doubt he will do. We need depth with experience and now we got it. Sounds like a win-win situation. I'm still hoping that Bassey will come off the PS and show understanding of this system enough to earn some playing time. He definitely has the physical attributes and just needs to learn. He's had exposure, now it's time for the test...

I agree about Bassey and hopeful about him, but I dont see the logic behind Webster signing him if he wasnt told he would have a shot to compete for the starting job. Why would he sign somewhere to purposely be a backup CB when he was just a starter in both SF and ATL? Doesnt make any sense. Either way his contract numbers will tell us alot.

djjimkelly
05-22-2007, 10:55 AM
webster = 4th or 5th cb on bills and thats a good thing considering we only had 4 cbs with nfl experience on the roster right now

djjimkelly
05-22-2007, 10:58 AM
and nothing wrong with having a guy with as much experience as him on team just in case someone gets hurt he may even be the nickel.