X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madness
    • Apr 2003

George Wilson Trying Hand at Safety

It's early May in the Bills locker room and a seated George Wilson stops Jim Leonhard on his way past Wilson's locker.
    "When we're in this call and they line up with two receivers to this side, what's my assignment become," Wilson asks Leonhard showing him his open playbook.
    Leonhard sits down on the stool next to Wilson and begins with a question.
    "What's your key?"
    Soon Leonhard has Wilson back to the basics of the play call and proper alignment before the snap.
    While other members of the team get showered up after their morning training workouts as part of the team's offseason conditioning program, Leonhard sits with Wilson for another 20 minutes.
    By the time Wilson feels comfortable with everything his notebook page has 15 lines of notes from his conversation with Leonhard.
    Is Wilson looking for different ways to defeat a defensive alignment?
    Quite the contrary.
    George Wilson is trying to see if strong safety is another position where he can offer the Buffalo Bills some added depth.
    "The coaches just wanted to try it out," said Wilson. "It's just a trial period just to see if I can do it. I'm trying to show that I'm not only a sound wide receiver, but that I can play special teams and perhaps help on the defensive side of the ball. It just makes me a better all-around football player."
    The safety experiment began in early May with a lot of work in the classroom, while walking through some defensive alignments based on offensive looks on the field. Wilson feels he's absorbed thing fairly well.
    "It's been going pretty good," Wilson said. "The first few days there were a lot of moving parts, but I've gotten some great help in the defensive backs room from Jim Leonhard and coach Catavolos. They're giving me pointers while watching film and answering all my questions, so they've tried to help make it a smooth transition." ...

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4797
    Last edited by madness; 05-22-2007, 08:15 AM.
  • madness
    • Apr 2003

Re: George Wilson Trying Hand at Safety

After spending two of the last three seasons on the Bills practice squad Wilson is willing to do anything to make a permanent leap to the active roster.
    "I haven't played a regular season game in a year and a half so I've got a lot built up in me and I feel it's time to be released," said Wilson. "And what better side of the ball to be on to release it than defense."
    I really like Wilson. I hope this increases his chances of making the active roster.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

Originally posted by madness
      I really like Wilson. I hope this increases his chances of making the active roster.
      It also says something really good about Leonhard. He's willingly helping a player who is basically competing for his job. I hope both guys make it.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• mysticsoto
        Too sober for this...
        • Apr 2004

Wow! I'm surprised at this. Wilson gets props if he can handle a tough hitting job like safeties need to be able to deliver. That being said, Leonard should also get props...he is likely out of a job if Wilson gets the Safety job. That's what I call putting the team first!!!

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
          Pinkerton's son
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by madness
          When I first read that quote from him, I thought that it meant he thought the Bills were going to RELEASE him haha, he does seem like a good hard working guy and i will def. root for him.

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

Leonard is one tough smart midget.I hope he makes the team. He was one of the reasons Wire got moved to LB. He's a better safety than Wire could ever be and also one hell of a ST player.

What I don't get is that Wilson has always been great at camp but never gets a chance to sniff the field on gameday especially when you think about how he would be the tallest amongst our wr.
            sacrifice1
            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• madness
              • Apr 2003

Leonard backs up both safety spots so I really don't see him going anywhere. Especially with the blurb about him knowing the defense as a whole better then anybody else on the roster. They already have Wilson on the depth chart at the 4th string FS spot on BB.com.

Comment

• The Spaz
                • Mar 2003

Sounds like Wilsons days are done. I really like the guy but being asked to swich positions and compete with people who already know how to play the position is near impossible.

Comment

• Pride
                  • Jul 2002

Something about this seems fishy. I don't think this is simply a guy trying to make the team any way he can. The coaches brought this to him for a reason, and I am thinking that reason is Randy Moss. How do you best cover randy moss? Perhaps the Bills coaching staff believe it is by putting a tall WR on him that takes away his speed and height as an advantage.

If Wilson can cover, this may just be the best way to neutralize, or at least contain the Moss factor.

Comment

• mysticsoto
                    Too sober for this...
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by The Spaz
                    Sounds like Wilsons days are done. I really like the guy but being asked to swich positions and compete with people who already know how to play the position is near impossible.
                    Interesting...I read that differently. Wilson appears to have been asked to try out the position - to me that means that they like him and really want to keep him. If he is tough enough to play safety - that increases his value in STs. Remember that we lost Andre Davis and it would be nice for a backup WR like him to be able to play STs and take up where Davis left off. As much as I respect Leonard for what he is doing, he may have the smarts, but his physical attributes make him a liability on the team. Perhaps he'll make a good safeties coach some day though!

Comment

• madness
                      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by The Spaz
                      Not at all. He's still playing WR and as of right now Davis' roster spot is still open. This staff loves players that have versatility and this would only help his chances.

Comment

• The Spaz
                        • Mar 2003

Lets see the safeties on our roster:

Whitner
                        Simpson
                        Leonard
                        Wire to some degree
                        Wendling
                        Thomas
                        Hooper
                        Corto

Throw Wilson into that with people have experince at that position. Don't look to good. Wilson seems like he has been on this team forever as a practice squad player.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

You'd expect to see Whitner, Simpson, Leonhard and Wendling on the active roster at safety, Wire at LB, and a Hooper, Corto or S. Thomas on the PS.

Wilson's ability to play safety in a pinch, plus special teams, will likely give him a little advantage in making the active roster as a backup WR.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• The Spaz
                            • Mar 2003

Wilson's ability to play safety in a pinch, plus special teams, will likely give him a little advantage in making the active roster as a backup WR.
                            If he can play safety.

Comment

• raphael120
                              Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                              • Oct 2005

Here we go again with the player of many positions but master of none...

It's bad enough he was on the practice squad, but it's just getting rediculous with how we're making whatever half assed dinner we can with scraps in the kitchen.

Comment

Working...
                              X