PDA

View Full Version : Briere leaves wiggle room

Philagape
05-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Briere leaves wiggle room
Sabres star hints he’d take discount
By John Vogl NEWS SPORTS REPORTER

Daniel Briere’s life is the exact opposite of those MasterCard commercials.

Playing in a city that embraces its hockey team with mind-blowing zeal: priceless. Being honored as a co-captain: priceless. Having a legitimate chance to win the Stanley Cup: priceless.

Re-signing with the team that offers all that: Insert exact figure here — soon.

Tallying intangibles would make the sharpest accountant crush his calculator. But that’s what Briere and his money men will be doing for the next few weeks. Briere reiterated Monday he wants to remain a Buffalo Sabre, and the free agent-to-be indicated he’d accept the famed hometown discount.

Now he has to determine the value of all his perks.

“It’s worth some money to stay here,” Briere said. “But what’s fair?”

That is the lingering question for the Sabres’ leading scorer, who joined his teammates in the annual locker cleanout day Monday in HSBC Arena. He knows what players of his status are worth on the open market. He just isn’t sure how far he and the Sabres will stray from that number in order to keep him in Buffalo for a fifth season and beyond.

“I don’t feel like I have to max out,” Briere said. “It’s not what I’m looking for. I’d like to stay here. This is a place that I’d like to play. It’s a place that I’d like to finish my career. There’s more important things than just money, but at the same time you want to be treated fairly.

“I’m open to whatever they’re willing to do and discuss. I think it can work for both sides.”

The Sabres have exclusive contract negotiation rights to Briere and his fellow unrestricted free agents until July 1. Then the market opens to the other 29 teams. Briere, who made $5 million this season and is likely in line for a raise, remains hopeful it won’t reach that point.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/81400.html

Bill Brasky
05-22-2007, 09:47 AM
i can't disagree with anything he said. i hope he stays, but i also hope he gets treated fairly... he did lead this team in points and won us a lot of games this season.

Michael82
05-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Something tells me he might be easier to re-sign than people think. I think that Drury is going to be the tough one, especially because he already won a championship before...so money probably takes priority over that right now. Briere hasn't and wants to stay here and help us win one.

SabreEleven
05-22-2007, 09:53 AM
$6 millions seems fair.

ct bills fan
05-22-2007, 10:41 AM
$6 for each, trade a couple (max, Kotalik, Kalinin, Spacek come to mind) and we're fine cap wise. 9 home playoff games this year give Buffalo about $9 million in additional revenues.

don137
05-22-2007, 02:05 PM
Hard to say what Drury is thinking.... IMO Drury is the most important player to this team other than Miller. I would love it if Drury took the same mentality that Briere did but who knows.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
05-22-2007, 03:34 PM
:please: see http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=127464 for video of what Briere and Drury said.

JD
05-22-2007, 04:11 PM
i love danny now :)

marry me 48!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bufftp
05-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Do not trade Max, that is just crazy talk.