PDA

View Full Version : Interesting draft tidbit.

The Spaz
05-22-2007, 09:55 AM
Saw this in my Bills Digest I got yesterday. Here is a little timeline leading up to the Bills drafting Lynch.

2:08 p.m.
Phone call comes in from San Francisco with a desire to flip spots. They think the Bills want Patrick Willis. The Bills say no thanks.

2:18 p.m.
San Francisco then takes Patrick Willis, which prompts a few chuckles among the Bills brass.

2:23
Buffalo's men at the head table are pretty decided on the direction they want to take, but discuss a few final options before sending the card up.

2:24
Bills GM Marv Levy makes the call to Marshawn Lynch.

2:28
Bills select Marshawn Lynch.

Wonder what that chuckle meant? Could it be they think he is a bust?

streetkings01
05-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Probably because they thought we wanted him bad and were going to sucker us out of 1 of out 3rds! But he wasn't even in our top 3 best players, but the 49ers ended up drafting him anyway!

Goobylal
05-22-2007, 10:02 AM
If that story is true, then it proves the Bills didn't think Willis was even as good as Poz, and it seems that the 49'ers weren't all that high on him either, if they were willing to let him go to another team.

justasportsfan
05-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Wow, that kinda shoots down those people who implied that MArv was lying when he said the top 3 guys we wanted was still there at 12. According to those who call MArv a liar ,Willis was really our guy . They probably have better sources that Bills digest :huh:

mysticsoto
05-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Wonder what that chuckle meant? Could it be they think he is a bust?

I think it was just toward the fact that the 49ers were trying to get something out of us (a 3rd might not even have been enough) and in the end, they took the player they were trying to sell to us.

Marv, having 3 players in mind, did not bite.

I wonder what other calls they got - for which they might have been able to drop down for. I know Cleveland says they called Buffalo...I actually think I would have made that trade with them (providing they compensated appropriately). Two 1sts next year would be awesome and might allow us to get Dorsey or some other high prospect...

raphael120
05-22-2007, 10:26 AM
I just hope the Bills played it right on that.

If Patrick Willis is the Def Rookie of the Year, and Poz gets injured and plays in only 5 games...you can see alot of OP threads. Haha.

Jan Reimers
05-22-2007, 10:45 AM

If Patrick Willis is the Def Rookie of the Year, and Poz gets injured and plays in only 5 games...you can see alot of OP threads. Haha.
If Lynch and Poz don't win O and D ROY, respectively, and go on to HOF careers, I expect a lot of Op, Pat and Wys threads.

camelcowboy
05-22-2007, 10:52 AM

If Patrick Willis is the Def Rookie of the Year, and Poz gets injured and plays in only 5 games...you can see alot of OP threads. Haha. I do like Willis, but Lynch and Poz is great value without losing much draft compensation. To get these two without give up any picks next year is awesome. If we drafted willis would could we have picked as a running back? Wright might be the starter, i like the draft alot.

madness
05-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Wow, that kinda shoots down those people who implied that MArv was lying when he said the top 3 guys we wanted was still there at 12. According to those who call MArv a liar ,Willis was really our guy . They probably have better sources that Bills digest :huh:

I know, I was just thinking about that when I read the first post! Should we start bumping threads now or should we give them a chance to eat crow?

Mr. Miyagi
05-22-2007, 11:46 AM

Well there's nothing you can do about injuries, unless it's a chronic issue, which isn't for Poz.

Romes
05-22-2007, 11:49 AM
I know, I was just thinking about that when I read the first post! Should we start bumping threads now or should we give them a chance to eat crow?

Also, goes to show that all the media saying that the Bills had Willis atop their draft board was just specualtion.

John Doe
05-22-2007, 04:15 PM

If they gave up anything substantial to move up one spot, then they would not have played it right.

patmoran2006
05-22-2007, 04:19 PM
We'll see how much they chuckle in January when it comes to Patrick Willis.

justasportsfan
05-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Also, goes to show that all the media saying that the Bills had Willis atop their draft board was just specualtion.

Makes you wonder Huff was really our guy if he fell to us or if Whitner was who we really wanted all along .

Gunzlingr
05-22-2007, 04:28 PM

When they are sitting at home watching the playoffs?

G. Host
05-22-2007, 04:30 PM
I doubt the Bills leak out who they are looking at; the most the media probably get are Bills telling players who tell their agents that they like certain players.

Goobylal
05-22-2007, 05:18 PM
When Poz is DROTY? Lots.

Goobylal
05-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Makes you wonder Huff was really our guy if he fell to us or if Whitner was who we really wanted all along .
The Bills wanted Whitner all along. Like in this case, the media speculated the Bills wanted the other guy.

Meathead
05-22-2007, 08:19 PM
most likely the reason there were http://www.sweetms.com/catalogs/RE_S_chuckles.jpg was just that everyone and their mother they rode in on was calling willis the bills preferred pick but even when sf tried to let them have it they declined

id chuckle

http://www.chuckles.net.au/GUI/chuckles.gif

Goobylal
05-22-2007, 08:25 PM
The chuckle was because everyone thought the Bills wanted Willis, but that the 49'ers were going to take him. Then when the 49'ers called and basically said they weren't that high on Willis, since they were willing to give the Bills the chance to take him, and then took him, the predictions came true partly.

HHURRICANE
05-22-2007, 08:47 PM
I think Patrick Willis is going to be great!!! Obviously the Bills had their own thoughts on the way they needed to go.

Or maybe they think he was another Fletcher.

henrybacker
05-23-2007, 08:01 AM
Wow, that kinda shoots down those people who implied that MArv was lying when he said the top 3 guys we wanted was still there at 12. According to those who call MArv a liar ,Willis was really our guy . They probably have better sources that Bills digest

-Marv also thought Leinart and Young were 2nd or 3rd round talents and he had Edwards graded higher than Brady Quinn. So maybe he wasn't lying, he is just clueless.