PDA

View Full Version : Question for Capologists???

BuffaloRanger
03-14-2003, 03:56 PM
I know I'm not the first to think of this so there must be a rule against it.

Remember in the Bills last game when Jon Kitna was chasing that elusive 80% of the teams offensive plays for a cool million bonus?

What if a team paid a star, for this example Eric Moulds, a base salary of say $700,000 but loaded the contract with easily reachable incentives?

20 catches = 500,000
30 catches = 1 mil
40 catches = 3mil

The player would still get his money, but what would the cap hit be? Is this where that "bonus money likely to receive" figure comes in? What if it was1,500 yds rec for another mil, would that be considered "likely"? And who makes the decision?

I know it can't be this easy. Anyone know?

Throne Logic
03-14-2003, 04:11 PM
I believe they were talking about this the other day. Incentives are part of the loop-hole that allows teams, like Philly, to have more cap space in years after ridiculous incentive clauses were not met. Kind of like carrying over vacation time to the next year.

Seems like it would be a great way for a team to setup an insurance policy. If the player gets hurt or doesn't perform, he gets his base salary and bonus, but not the large incentives. Plus, that team could apply that money to the next year's cap.

Hmmmm. Must be something I'm missing here, too.

CP or EB?

Dozerdog
03-14-2003, 07:16 PM
Play with the numbers all you want-

But it comes down to paying a guy now or paying him later. It saves on this year's cap but wrecks it next year.

Besides, if your Eric Moulds, there is no way you would sign a deal like that. What if you get hurt in the first game? You are out 3-4 Million. Kitna did because, well, he's John Kitna- 28th best QB in the league.

If you're Eric Moulds, you a re a top 5-10 and should get paid like one.

Kevikid
03-14-2003, 10:48 PM
Bump!

I think the incentives are considered "easily attainable" if the player has reached those levels (20 catches, probowl, whatever) during the last few years (or year, as you can tell, i have no clue what i'm talking about). Easily attainable stats give a cap charge for the current year, and if they are not met, additional cap space is granted for the next year. Stats that are not easily attainable, say probowl status for a rookie, will not be charged for the current year, but if they are met, the cap value will be charged to the next year.

-Kev

OpIv37
03-15-2003, 01:01 AM
It's all about agents and the player's union- I've always thought incentives were a great way to write a contract but if players refuse en masse (as they do now) it will never catch on...

The rest of us have to earn our money but pro athletes make it whether they perform or not- pure bull**** but as long as we're enjoying the sport there's nothing that can be done.

clumping platelets
03-15-2003, 07:07 AM
:couch:

Cap question? :huh:

I'll answer this soon ;)

Ebenezer
03-15-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
I know I'm not the first to think of this so there must be a rule against it.

Remember in the Bills last game when Jon Kitna was chasing that elusive 80% of the teams offensive plays for a cool million bonus?

What if a team paid a star, for this example Eric Moulds, a base salary of say $700,000 but loaded the contract with easily reachable incentives?

20 catches = 500,000
30 catches = 1 mil
40 catches = 3mil

The player would still get his money, but what would the cap hit be? Is this where that "bonus money likely to receive" figure comes in? What if it was1,500 yds rec for another mil, would that be considered "likely"? And who makes the decision?

I know it can't be this easy. Anyone know?

All incentives are judged by the NFL. They are broken down into Not likely to be earned (NLTBE) and Likely to be earn (LTBE). All LTBE count against the cap in that season. It's just like paying them base salary, the only protection the team gets is if the player doesn't reach the goal. If they do not the team gets a credit next year but are burdened with a cap debit in that season. All NLTBE bonuses that are hit count toward the following years cap.

For example. IF you say you are paying Moulds 3 mil for 40 catches the league is going to label that a LTBE and it goes against the cap. If he doesn't get it he doesn't get the money and it will result in a credit next year. But, if you give him 3 mil for 120 catches the leage will call that a NLTBE bonus and if he were to get it it would count next year. however, he isn't going to sign that deal unless he has a $3 mil base salary.