PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't sound good on the McCargo Front

Bulldog
05-23-2007, 08:15 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/82238.html

Sounds like he had another procedure done in February to clean up the foot after doctors determined it wasn't healing right. I wouldn't be as concerned if this wasn't the same foot that caused him to miss the final five games at N.C. State in 2005. I don't doubt the guys talent, but what good is it if he can't stay on the field for any length of time. It's not a good sign when Jauron is saying he's hopeful that McCargo will be ready by the start of training camp. I don't like the sounds of this at all.

THATHURMANATOR
05-23-2007, 08:18 AM
He will be fine.

Chris23
05-23-2007, 08:21 AM
He's practicing his balance etc. he'll be ready to go in a few weeks.

Romes
05-23-2007, 08:22 AM
Juaron said he is optmistic that he'll be back by TC.

Also McCargo said:
“I’ve been getting a lot stronger,” McCargo said. “All I’ve been doing is lifting weights and working out. It’s not just about trying to lift 225 pounds like after college last year. It’s about playing stronger. . . . We have machines here that isolate each arm. In college we didn’t have machines like that. We do a lot more to get your core [torso] stronger. We do a lot to improve flexibility. In college we didn’t do nearly as much of that.”

He is working out taking his time...like Thurm said, he'll be fine.

bigbub2352
05-23-2007, 08:24 AM
Let him heal up got 3 months till TC he will be OK i hope

THATHURMANATOR
05-23-2007, 08:26 AM
Exactly what is the rush to get him out there right now. It isn't like he needs to learn a new defense.

justasportsfan
05-23-2007, 08:29 AM
He wont be ready til' mid season.

THATHURMANATOR
05-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Why wouldn't he?

Bulldog
05-23-2007, 08:43 AM
Exactly what is the rush to get him out there right now. It isn't like he needs to learn a new defense.

I never said I needed to see him out there right now. But that fact that the doctors went back in and performed yet another procedure is a little worrisome. I can just see this developing into a chronic problem. I honestly don't think McCargo will be ready to go once the season rolls around. If I'm wrong, I'll be thrilled. But I'm not holding my breath.

Jan Reimers
05-23-2007, 08:56 AM
It's only May. I would like to see him 100% healthy, too, but I'm not going to get too concerned yet. I think a lot of this is precautionary, keeping him out of full out practices so the foot can heal completely.

justasportsfan
05-23-2007, 08:59 AM
Why wouldn't he?
I cannot disclose my SOURCES .

patmoran2006
05-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Well if this team has any chance of having an improved run defense, there is no doubt that he has to be on the field, healthy and show why we traded up for him last year. Kyle Williams, Tripplett, Anderson, Walker (if he even reports this year) are not good run stoppers; plain and simple.

I'd be very concerned as well about McCargo just like Bulldog said; because his foot is on the verge of becoming a chronic problem.

Couple of other little things I seen from the article.
* McCargo is up to 310 pounds. I like that weight. I hope its not just cause he's fatter from being unable to do much becuase of the surgeries.

* We're still $9 million UNDER the "cash to cap"- which a lot will be gone for signing rookies. Still, we havent even spent cash to cap yet- let alone even tinkered anywhere remotely close to the actual salary cap. Fine and Dandy, but you BETTER use some of that money to resign star players sometime between now and the end of the season.

Mr. Pink
05-23-2007, 09:02 AM
I will say that this does cause some merit for concern.

If it's something that's going to nag him through his career, which signs point to it, it might. We should definitely be worried about his long term viability here in Buffalo or the NFL for that matter.

Here's hoping that after the procedure in February that the problem has been fixed and he doesn't suffer lingering effects.

billsburgh
05-23-2007, 09:34 AM
He wont be ready til' mid season.
and when he is healthy enough to play, he's still going to suck.

Night Train
05-23-2007, 09:51 AM
and when he is healthy enough to play, he's still going to suck.

Wow

billsburgh
05-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Wow
oops, forgot the sarcasm tag

madness
05-23-2007, 09:55 AM

Also McCargo said:
“I’ve been getting a lot stronger,” McCargo said. “All I’ve been doing is lifting weights and working out. It’s not just about trying to lift 225 pounds like after college last year. It’s about playing stronger. . . . We have machines here that isolate each arm. In college we didn’t have machines like that. We do a lot more to get your core [torso] stronger. We do a lot to improve flexibility. In college we didn’t do nearly as much of that.”

You left out the best part!

McCargo has been able to work out his upper body all offseason. He’s noticeably thicker in the shoulders and chest than he was as a rookie.

I'm not too concerned yet due to the nature of both injuries. He broke the exact same bone that had the stress fracture when he was in college. Obviously the stress fracture didn't heal right, so a clean break might be the best thing for it.

Healing is expected to be longer and usually requires surgery when it's either the first(big toe) or fifth(pinky toe) metatarsal. McCargo broke the pinky which is a heck of a lot better then the big toe since it shoulders most of the load when pushing off your foot.

To summarize, I'm not going to label it as a recurring or chronic problem unless he has another injury to the same bone or injures another by compensating for this one. Hopefully family history doesn't play into this either.

Wys Guy
05-23-2007, 10:00 AM
Doesn't sound good on the McCargo Front
Great draft pick though. You can't blame Levy or Jauron for his foot issues. I mean who knew. He never had any foot problems in college or anything.

I'm sure he'll be around posting his first sack in like 20-some starts pretty soon. Heck, if he triples his sack production over his last two seasons of starting he'll have..., ... oh..., forget it.

Levy must be applauded however for his plan to bring players here. I hope we keep trading up with the personnel department we have in order to draft guys like Denney, Kelsay, and McCargo.

Ya have to just love it when a plan comes together. Let's just hope that Posluszny is as good as all of those guys.

THATHURMANATOR
05-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Great draft pick though. You can't blame Levy or Jauron for his foot issues. I mean who knew. He never had any foot problems in college or anything.

I'm sure he'll be around posting his first sack in like 20-some starts pretty soon. Heck, if he triples his sack production over his last two seasons of starting he'll have..., ... oh..., forget it.

Levy must be applauded however for his plan to bring players here. I hope we keep trading up with the personnel department we have in order to draft guys like Denney, Kelsay, and McCargo.

Ya have to just love it when a plan comes together. Let's just hope that Posluszny is as good as all of those guys.
Way to be positive for once WYS! :hi5:
You sure have turned over a new leaf!

Saratoga Slim
05-23-2007, 10:14 AM

Good theory. I fully agree that we should pass on any player who had an injury in college. Let idiot teams like San Francisco blow their draft picks on the Frank Gores of the world. /sarcasm

At this point who knows whether McCargo has the talent to merit the trade-up we pulled. But I'm not going to pin his injury struggles on the front office. And as to the talent, it's just plain dumb to say he doesn't have it now, when he hasn't been on the field long enough to prove it either way.

Saratoga Slim
05-23-2007, 10:18 AM

You mean his first sack in 5 starts, right? As in the first five starts of his rookie season?

Jan Reimers
05-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Way to be positive for once WYS! :hi5:
You sure have turned over a new leaf!
We just might have to give Wys a HOW - the Homer Of (the) Week award.

I love his new attitude.:dance:

raphael120
05-23-2007, 10:32 AM
You left out the best part!

I'm not too concerned yet due to the nature of both injuries. He broke the exact same bone that had the stress fracture when he was in college. Obviously the stress fracture didn't heal right, so a clean break might be the best thing for it.

Healing is expected to be longer and usually requires surgery when it's either the first(big toe) or fifth(pinky toe) metatarsal. McCargo broke the pinky which is a heck of a lot better then the big toe since it shoulders most of the load when pushing off your foot.

To summarize, I'm not going to label it as a recurring or chronic problem unless he has another injury to the same bone or injures another by compensating for this one. Hopefully family history doesn't play into this either.

Yeah he could be as strong as a lumberjack on his shoulders/pecs/arms, but it dont mean a lick if your weakness is your lower body and it has a nagging injury...

right when we drafted this kid i wondered why we took a chance on this guy, his major knock was exactly that...nagging foot injury. what bothers me is he is not going to have much conditioning time to strengthen his legs...unless they really did a good job with isolating it and he was still able to work out his quads, gluts, calves, etc...

THATHURMANATOR
05-23-2007, 10:35 AM
We just might have to give Wys a HOW - the Homer Of (the) Week award.

I love his new attitude.:dance:
It is a breath of fresh air really!

Tatonka
05-23-2007, 10:39 AM

i liked it better when you stuck to writing your awful articles.. that way, your annoying, negative, whiney ass posts could all just be summed up in one ridiuclously long article that repeated itself over and over.. but i guess after you realized that no one was reading them, you just had to come back.

:cheers:

The Answer
05-23-2007, 12:43 PM
We really need to get the Walker contract situation fixed now.

Also this doesn't look good for Marv - he reached and wasted a draft pick last year for McCargo, and this year he did the same for POZ.

And if POZ busts outright it will not be a good thing....

~The Answer

billsburgh
05-23-2007, 01:07 PM

Also this doesn't look good for Marv - he reached and wasted a draft pick last year for McCargo, and this year he did the same for POZ.

~The Answer
you are so full of **** it's not even funny.

Romes
05-23-2007, 01:08 PM

sshhhh... if you ignore it maybe it'll go away...:candle:

The Answer
05-23-2007, 01:10 PM

It's one thing to misfire on day one picks, but when you factor in additional draft picks that were used to select a bust player it doesn't reflect well on the trigger man - in this case Levy.

~The Answer

Tatonka
05-23-2007, 01:19 PM
wys = the answer = ice

patmoran2006
05-23-2007, 01:34 PM
I don't know how this turned into yet another POZ thread....

But I will say that if McCargo does nothing this year, either because of injury or just bad play.. The trade-up for McCargo and passing on Mangold in the process is going to start look really, really stupid for Levy and the FO two years later.

McCargo, In my personal opinion, is the second-most important player this year if the Bills are to be successful, behind only JP Losman.

Mr. Pink
05-23-2007, 01:46 PM
I don't know how this turned into yet another POZ thread....

But I will say that if McCargo does nothing this year, either because of injury or just bad play.. The trade-up for McCargo and passing on Mangold in the process is going to start look really, really stupid for Levy and the FO two years later.

McCargo, In my personal opinion, is the second-most important player this year if the Bills are to be successful, behind only JP Losman.

How did this get turned into a POZ thread? Easy. The Answ--errrrrrrr Dolt got involved in the thread. I really need to figure out how to ignore people before I take this any further and get a weeks' vacation.

Wys Guy
05-23-2007, 11:26 PM
You mean his first sack in 5 starts, right? As in the first five starts of his rookie season?
No, I meant like 20-some starts. I believe he had only one sack in his limited time with our team as well as in his last two seasons at NC State.

He had some, three I think, in his frosh season, but only one after that, on some QB named Baker at UNC that's now on the Cowboys' practice squad after not being drafted last year.

But oh, what a "disruptive force" he was.<!-- / message -->

Wys Guy
05-23-2007, 11:32 PM
i liked it better when you stuck to writing your awful articles.. that way, your annoying, negative, whiney ass posts could all just be summed up in one ridiuclously long article that repeated itself over and over.. but i guess after you realized that no one was reading them, you just had to come back.

:cheers:

What, did I marry you at some point?

:D

Back? No, not really. I just have far too much time on my hands at the moment. Obviously not nearly as much as some here have however. That will end in a few weeks.

I believe you meant whitey ass. ;)

Actually, I get quite a bit of support from people, even from some readers here.

When I do get "hate mail" it rarely has any substance in it, only opinions based on pretty much nothing, and when I ask people for specifics, they usually can't and therefore don't comply. I've made far more "converts to reason" via e-mail than you might think.

Either way, I've offered dozens of people to go toe-to-toe with me on season predictions on both players and have yet to have anyone ante-up. You guys are all welcome here too.

Wys Guy
05-23-2007, 11:35 PM
wys = the answer = ice

You wish. You're delerious. See, you and the others can't believe that most fans just don't think the way you do regarding our team.

We need a Buffalo Bills Fans Anonymous;

Hi, My name is Tatonka, and I'm a Bills fans with a false sense of reality.

You forgot Op and Moran. They're me too. I'm busy cloning others around the world, but it takes time.

OR, it could just be that they make sense too. (circuits blowing, sparks flying, smoke emanating from your ears, etc.)

:D

Wys Guy
05-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Good theory. I fully agree that we should pass on any player who had an injury in college. Let idiot teams like San Francisco blow their draft picks on the Frank Gores of the world. /sarcasm

At this point who knows whether McCargo has the talent to merit the trade-up we pulled. But I'm not going to pin his injury struggles on the front office. And as to the talent, it's just plain dumb to say he doesn't have it now, when he hasn't been on the field long enough to prove it either way.

Fully depends upon the injury ther Saratoga. But then, how about at least giving me credit for predicting exactly this prior to McCargo's ever even taking the field. Simply as someone that's been thru similar injuries and knows quite a bit about orthopaedics. Naturally you won't add that to the incredible stack of stuff that I take the time to predict, pre-dict, as in advance, quite accurately.

All I ask for is an admission of the truth(s), whatever that happens to be. I'm tellin' ya now, McCargo won't play 16 games this year or even 10. He won't log any significant sacks or make any kind of impact.

I'll state it confidently. Bank on it!

Why? B/c I do my due diligence. If I can do it, then the team should be able to. Yet, the don't seem to be able to.

Stress fractures in a foot are a cakewalk in terms of making a prediction. One must first understand what a stress fracture is however. If you understand that, then you'd have to really scratch your head as to why we spent two picks on a guy like that.

Forget the fact that Levy told us how "disruptive" he was at NC ST in spite of logging only one sack on a "nothing" QB in his last two seasons there.

At some point things either add up or don't. In this case, they don't.

Saratoga Slim
05-24-2007, 08:36 AM
Fully depends upon the injury ther Saratoga. But then, how about at least giving me credit for predicting exactly this prior to McCargo's ever even taking the field. Simply as someone that's been thru similar injuries and knows quite a bit about orthopaedics. Naturally you won't add that to the incredible stack of stuff that I take the time to predict, pre-dict, as in advance, quite accurately.

All I ask for is an admission of the truth(s), whatever that happens to be. I'm tellin' ya now, McCargo won't play 16 games this year or even 10. He won't log any significant sacks or make any kind of impact.

I'll state it confidently. Bank on it!

Why? B/c I do my due diligence. If I can do it, then the team should be able to. Yet, the don't seem to be able to.

Stress fractures in a foot are a cakewalk in terms of making a prediction. One must first understand what a stress fracture is however. If you understand that, then you'd have to really scratch your head as to why we spent two picks on a guy like that.

Forget the fact that Levy told us how "disruptive" he was at NC ST in spite of logging only one sack on a "nothing" QB in his last two seasons there.

At some point things either add up or don't. In this case, they don't.

I agree foot injuries can be tricky, but the bottom line is he WAS healthy all last training camp and through the first portion of the regular season. I could be wrong, but I don't remember any talk of the foot injury lingering during that period. thus I think the doctors and FO deserve some forgiveness for thinking the stress fracture was satisfactorily healed.

I'm not going to defend the trade up too strongly, in hindsight I wish we didn't do it. But in fairness, at the time we really really needed DTs, and there wasn't going to be much left on the board if we let someone else get McCargo. There were pretty strong indications that the Gints would take him in the late first. If he'd been healthy all last year, we might not even be talking about this. But then again, he might have had only a minor impact--like most all rookie DTs. What did Broderick Bunkley do last year???

And that's my point, unless you want to blame the doctors for being overconfident in McCargo's ability to move on from the stress fracture, it's hard to form a solid opinion on that pick because we simply haven't seen much of McCargo. Maybe he's the real deal. Maybe he's not. I'm just hoping the damn foot heals so we can hold more than an academic debate.

HHURRICANE
05-24-2007, 08:39 AM

Also McCargo said:

Yeah i wouldn't worry at all. Spikes played great last year.

Chris23
05-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Yeah i wouldn't worry at all. Spikes played great last year.Yeah cause thier injury was just alike!

ScottLawrence
05-24-2007, 12:26 PM

~The Answer
You are jumping to conclusions here.

Who says he wasted a draft pick last year for McCargo? I posted a thread on how much better the run defense was when McCargo was healthy and the game prior to his injury we had the best game of the season defensively.

It's may and he is sidelined with a foot injury, training camp is around 2 months away.

That's plenty of time.

If he is not participating at training camp then I think we should worry as of now i think everyones overreacting.

Romes
05-24-2007, 12:33 PM
Yeah i wouldn't worry at all. Spikes played great last year.

terrible comparison. like chris said it was a different injury and also Spikes missed TC and pre-season. If McCargo missed those then no I wouldn't expect him to do well during the year. But since, all he is missing is a few position drills and a few 7v7's in May. I'm not worried.

HHURRICANE
05-24-2007, 08:39 PM
terrible comparison. like chris said it was a different injury and also Spikes missed TC and pre-season. If McCargo missed those then no I wouldn't expect him to do well during the year. But since, all he is missing is a few position drills and a few 7v7's in May. I'm not worried.

How about that this is a setback wether you want to believe it or not.

My point was that Spikes kept telling everyone that he was going to be 100% and he wasn't.

McCargo, who is essentially still a rookie, still has some question marks surrounding him. The longer this goes the worse it is. DT was one of our biggest weaknesses last year.

Romes
05-24-2007, 09:38 PM
How about that this is a setback wether you want to believe it or not.

My point was that Spikes kept telling everyone that he was going to be 100% and he wasn't.

McCargo, who is essentially still a rookie, still has some question marks surrounding him. The longer this goes the worse it is. DT was one of our biggest weaknesses last year.

The setback is minor. If McCargo is the player the Bills need him to be he'll be able to make up for these 90 minute practices he missed in May. If he struggles this year it won't be because he missed some position drills and touch football 3 1/2 months before the season.