PDA

View Full Version : McCargo is the team's 2nd most important player

patmoran2006
05-23-2007, 01:56 PM
To me, other than JP Losman there is nobody on this football team that is more important to any success they have this year than John McCargo.

I have absolutely NO clue how injured he still is, when he'll be back and how effective he'll be. But I can with reasonable certainty he's the most important player on the defense when it comes to the unit being competitive.

If McCargo is healthy by camp, is in great shape and plays like a first round DT, then the front four will be much better against the run. In turn, that will make the rest of the defense better as well.

But if he's a no-go of ineffective again this year; then a DT rotation of Williams/Tripplett/Anderson and maybe Walker is going to be pushed around all over the field again, and running backs are going to have career days against us.

So although there are a ton of guys of great importance to this team, IMO other than Losman nobody is more so than McCargo. He's the one DT with the "ability" to change things on the front four from a year ago.

raphael120
05-23-2007, 02:00 PM
DT is the key to run D. Our DT in McCargo was a first round pick.

We expect both Lynch and Poz to start and contribute big time this season, why should we not expect McCargo, a second year player to not contribute huge too? If youre picked in the first round, you should be starting and making an impact.

gil
05-23-2007, 02:11 PM
So, Schobel is our best player on defense but McCargo is the most important?

TacklingDummy
05-23-2007, 02:13 PM

It's possible.

raphael120
05-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Schobel is important but he's proven and he's fine. He isn't a liability.

McCargo is important because he is a missing key that we need and we dont quite have yet. So yes, he is more important than Schobel in the fact that Schobel is good and proven, we know what we have in him and he does his part, what is more important is that he must not be THE only good player ont hat line.

patmoran2006
05-23-2007, 02:25 PM
Absolutely, yes.

feldspar
05-23-2007, 02:46 PM
If there is any justification at all for the Bills to trade up to get McCargo the way they did last year, I'll be psyched. If he plays like first round talent, we'll obviously be a lot better off. That would be great. I'm really hoping that happens.

How long does it take to recover from a broken foot, anyway? It's been around 7 months, hasn't it?

I don't know if I'd say if he'd be the 2nd most important player, though. Maybe. Youboty, McCargo, and Poz are all pretty green, and we are totally counting on all three of these guys. Ellison, too. McGee being the #1 corner worries me as well.

eyedog
05-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Most important ? Oh boy.
He must be Reggie White sitting out. He's played five games and even if healthy nobody knows if he will be any good.

patmoran2006
05-23-2007, 02:55 PM
Most important ? Oh boy.
He must be Reggie White sitting out. He's played five games and even if healthy nobody knows if he will be any good.
Stopping the run is our single-biggest weakness.

We have the same collection of defensive linemen as last year, who proved they couldn't stop the run.

With the exception of McCargo, who only played in 5 games before gettting injured.

If we cant stop the run, we can't win consistently. McCargo is the one and only DL who hasn't shown that he CANT stop the run.

Therefore, with the exception of QB, he's now the most important player on the team. I didn't say he was the second-best player on the team, I said he's the second most important player.

eyedog
05-23-2007, 03:00 PM
I know what you said.
I think Peters, Evans, Schobel,and even Lynch for starters come in before McCargo.

Mad Bomber
05-23-2007, 03:30 PM
So, Schobel is our best player on defense but McCargo is the most important? If I read Pat right, what he's saying is that McCargo is vitally important as a DIFFERENCE from last year, and that we need him to step up and merit his first round status. Schobel has proved himself as our best defensive lineman. We need him to keep playing at the same level of excellence, but it is vitally important that McCargo steps up.

Am I putting words in your mouth Pat, or is that what you were trying to say?:idunno:

In any case, that's how I feel...

patmoran2006
05-23-2007, 03:36 PM
If I read Pat right, what he's saying is that McCargo is vitally important as a DIFFERENCE from last year, and that we need him to step up and merit his first round status. Schobel has proved himself as our best defensive lineman. We need him to keep playing at the same level of excellence, but it is vitally important that McCargo steps up.

Am I putting words in your mouth Pat, or is that what you were trying to say?:idunno:

In any case, that's how I feel...
Nope, that's very well said.

Peters, Lynch, Whitner may be better players. But none of them are as important as McCargo, as his play will likely represent how the entire DL looks this year.

If he's healthy and he plays excellent this year; he can change the complextion of the entire front seven in a positive way. If he's not healthy and/or doesnt play up to expectations; then the defense as a whole is likely to be very, very bad.

I know it may be unfair to McCargo; but for this unit to good this year, he has to quickly become a Warren Sapp (old school) type of DT for this team.

Jan Reimers
05-23-2007, 05:34 PM
If Pat said that, I would actually have to agree.

Mad Bomber
05-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Nope, that's very well said.

Peters, Lynch, Whitner may be better players. But none of them are as important as McCargo, as his play will likely represent how the entire DL looks this year.

If he's healthy and he plays excellent this year; he can change the complextion of the entire front seven in a positive way. If he's not healthy and/or doesnt play up to expectations; then the defense as a whole is likely to be very, very bad.

I know it may be unfair to McCargo; but for this unit to good this year, he has to quickly become a Warren Sapp (old school) type of DT for this team.
:up:
Very well said.

I'm hoping his gimpy foot heals, because I too feel that he is a lynchpin for our D line this year.

Help me Obi-Wan McCargo...you're our only hope...:jk:

Mad Bomber
05-23-2007, 05:35 PM
If Pat said that, I would actually have to agree.
I agree TOTALLY with Pat on this one.

Jan Reimers
05-23-2007, 05:46 PM
I would say there are several keys to our D this year, with McCargo certainly being near the top. I also think it's important that Poz nails the MLB spot, that Youboty plays like a high pick, and that Whitner, Simpson, Ellison and Williams continue to improve.

It's a lot to hope for, but I'm an optimist, and really believe that good young players in good systems with good coaching improve rapidly.

G. Host
05-23-2007, 06:01 PM
To me, other than JP Losman there is nobody on this football team that is more important to any success they have this year than John McCargo.

Most important to the anti-fan, throw out Marv Levy, linch mob mentality I agree. If he is successful it pulls one more of the things they can spew vinegar about.

HHURRICANE
05-23-2007, 06:02 PM
The possibility that Wire and Anderson will be on the field at the beginning of the season makes me want to :puke:

gr8slayer
05-23-2007, 07:09 PM
I see where you are going with this but I think that Losman is number one and Lynch is number two. If Lynch happens to bust (very doubtful barring injury) Losman is done for.

The running game is the most important part of any game, run(1st) and stop the run(2nd).

gr8slayer
05-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Dude is a bust.

Let's just cut him now and move on, we should have just drafted Manny Lawson anyway.
You being born was a bust.

feelthepain
05-24-2007, 05:54 PM
Stopping the run is our single-biggest weakness.

We have the same collection of defensive linemen as last year, who proved they couldn't stop the run.

With the exception of McCargo, who only played in 5 games before gettting injured.

If we cant stop the run, we can't win consistently. McCargo is the one and only DL who hasn't shown that he CANT stop the run.

Therefore, with the exception of QB, he's now the most important player on the team. I didn't say he was the second-best player on the team, I said he's the second most important player.

And a three hundred pound DT is the answer to your run Defense? Seriously?? I could understand you thinking he's the second most important player on your team if he was a 5 time probowler and a beast, but McCargo is neither. He's to small to be a 2 gap DT and he's way to small to be a 2 gap NT. No team is going to use two blockers to stop him which means your LB's will be have to fight through an Olinmen most of the game. I think your Defense will be worse then last year, even if McCargo is a 100% healthy.

feelthepain
05-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Yo what is your beef homey?

You have been riding me like the rodeo dude....just admit McCargo sucks and we should have drafted a better player and not reached for him anyway.

Dude get use to it, reality isn't in his vocabulary. Unless you agree that everything the Bills do is great, he'll cry about it.

patmoran2006
05-24-2007, 07:09 PM
And a three hundred pound DT is the answer to your run Defense? Seriously?? I could understand you thinking he's the second most important player on your team if he was a 5 time probowler and a beast, but McCargo is neither. He's to small to be a 2 gap DT and he's way to small to be a 2 gap NT. No team is going to use two blockers to stop him which means your LB's will be have to fight through an Olinmen most of the game. I think your Defense will be worse then last year, even if McCargo is a 100% healthy.
1- If he was a 5-time Pro Bowler we wouldn't be having a discussion about our run defense.

2- Yes, a 300 (310 to be exact) DT is the answer to our run defense. Our front four was wack as hell last year, and they're all back with the exception of McCargo, who you can't really count from last year So his performance is the key to that unit getting better.. By the way, without attacking the poster.. what a stupid statement.. yes, ONE 300 DT can make all the difference in the world. Ask Chicago the difference on their front four with Tommie HArris and without him.. Ask TB in recent years the difference with or without Sapp.. Are you serious?

3- No, I dont agree our run defense will be worse than last year. I dont support our front four: I hate it.. Marv made a tarded move by bringing back Kelsay I dont care what anybody says.. But I only say that because it's almost impossible to be worse than it was last year.

feelthepain
05-24-2007, 09:05 PM
2- Yes, a 300 (310 to be exact) DT is the answer to our run defense. Our front four was wack as hell last year, and they're all back with the exception of McCargo, who you can't really count from last year So his performance is the key to that unit getting better.. By the way, without attacking the poster.. what a stupid statement.. yes, ONE 300 DT can make all the difference in the world. Ask Chicago the difference on their front four with Tommie HArris and without him.. Ask TB in recent years the difference with or without Sapp.. Are you serious?

Give me a break, the Bills are nowhere's near as good on D as the Bears and the Bucs just plain suck anymore. They were just one slot ahead of the Bills in overall defense last year. The Only reason the Bears and Colts have any success at all in the Tampa 2 is because their offense can score a lot of points, forcing teams to throw the ball more then they run the ball. You're dreaming if you think McCargo will make the smallest bit of difference in the Bills run defense. Your team won't put up enough points on offense to force teams to throw instead of run, it's that simple. Look at your schedule, hello McFly!!!!!

feelthepain
05-24-2007, 11:14 PM
I'm beginning to see that.

I just don't understand why some fans are delusional about all the problems with this football team, starting with the front office.

We are turning into the new arizona cardinals.

Don't get me wrong, the Bills have a lot of nice young talent, but some Bills fans think their team is always better then it is.

gr8slayer
05-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Don't get me wrong, the Bills have a lot of nice young talent, but some Bills fans think their team is always better then it is.
This coming from the moron that thinks Culpepper is a top tier QB?
This coming from the moron who thinks the Dolphins are some how better than the Bills even though we owned your ass twice in a row even with your "top rated Defense." You are a joke, go back to mommies basement and bust out the KY, it's the closest you'll ever get to a real woman.

John Doe
05-25-2007, 05:46 AM
I think that the play of Pos is just as important as McCargo.

He has to assume a leadership role and will probably call the signals for the defense.

alohabillsfan
05-25-2007, 05:47 AM
I would say that our second most important player is whoever is playing RT (Walker). If he is successful that helps the running game (remember last year when everyone knew we would run left)! Plus if the TE's and RB's do not have to help with pass protection that will give JP a couple more options! offesive production is the key to winning with the tampa 2 defense!

Pinkerton Security
05-25-2007, 06:30 AM
I'm beginning to see that.

I just don't understand why some fans are delusional about all the problems with this football team, starting with the front office.

We are turning into the new arizona cardinals.

You know its sad when concreteboy and ftp are commiserating, having nice chats together about how much more they know about the bills.

AND, idk how this is EVEN POSSIBLE!!! but concreteboy somehow thanked.....AND groaned!!!....the same exact post.

stunning

patmoran2006
05-25-2007, 08:41 AM
This coming from the moron that thinks Culpepper is a top tier QB?
This coming from the moron who thinks the Dolphins are some how better than the Bills even though we owned your ass twice in a row even with your "top rated Defense." You are a joke, go back to mommies basement and bust out the KY, it's the closest you'll ever get to a real woman.
Dude, I"ve lost count on how many threads you have turned threads into personal attacks.

Whether you like the poster or not, or agree with his logic or not, it's discraceful to be able to post garbage like that and get away with it.

patmoran2006
05-25-2007, 08:48 AM
Give me a break, the Bills are nowhere's near as good on D as the Bears and the Bucs just plain suck anymore. They were just one slot ahead of the Bills in overall defense last year. The Only reason the Bears and Colts have any success at all in the Tampa 2 is because their offense can score a lot of points, forcing teams to throw the ball more then they run the ball. You're dreaming if you think McCargo will make the smallest bit of difference in the Bills run defense. Your team won't put up enough points on offense to force teams to throw instead of run, it's that simple. Look at your schedule, hello McFly!!!!!
First of all, dont ever group me with a homer fan. I never said our front four didnt suck, or wouldn't suck.

I said McCargo is the MOST IMPORTANT Player, in that the front four is weak against the run; and he's like a new addition in that he only played five games, giving the unit the BEST chance to improve on that.

feelthepain
05-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Dude, I"ve lost count on how many threads you have turned threads into personal attacks.

Whether you like the poster or not, or agree with his logic or not, it's discraceful to be able to post garbage like that and get away with it.

I've come to expect nothing less from that Bill fan. A real tough guy behind a keyboard and monitor.

feelthepain
05-25-2007, 03:12 PM
First of all, dont ever group me with a homer fan. I never said our front four didnt suck, or wouldn't suck.

I said McCargo is the MOST IMPORTANT Player, in that the front four is weak against the run; and he's like a new addition in that he only played five games, giving the unit the BEST chance to improve on that.

I didn't call you a homer, I just disagree with your opinion of McCargo and his value at this time. You can think whatever you like and you can place value on any player you like, but I think Pos is more important then McCargo at this point. The MLB is the QB of the defense he needs to play strong. I also think whomever your #2 WR is this year needs to step up and help Evans out or JP could have a long year. Heck Marshawn is more important then McCargo IMO. In the Tampa 2 it's about how good the offense is, cause the Defense is gonna give up yards and points.

patmoran2006
05-25-2007, 07:21 PM
I didn't call you a homer, I just disagree with your opinion of McCargo and his value at this time. You can think whatever you like and you can place value on any player you like, but I think Pos is more important then McCargo at this point. The MLB is the QB of the defense he needs to play strong. I also think whomever your #2 WR is this year needs to step up and help Evans out or JP could have a long year. Heck Marshawn is more important then McCargo IMO. In the Tampa 2 it's about how good the offense is, cause the Defense is gonna give up yards and points.
My opinion of John McCargo is not very high.. I thought and especially think now he was overated in college, and got the benefit of playing next to Mario Williams and Manny Lawson (and Tank Tyler).. I think he has a ton to prove and from day one I thought the decision to select McCargo over Nick Mangold was an AWFUL one by Levy. In fact, to this day I'm still in shock that once we made the trade-up we didnt take Mangold.. I was about to get pumped as hell in anticipation of his name and was disgusted when they said McCargo.

However, I still have to put his value to this team REALLY HIGH because he is the ONLY DL we have that hasn't proved he's incapable of being good against the run.

feelthepain
05-25-2007, 07:39 PM
My opinion of John McCargo is not very high.. I thought and especially think now he was overated in college, and got the benefit of playing next to Mario Williams and Manny Lawson (and Tank Tyler).. I think he has a ton to prove and from day one I thought the decision to select McCargo over Nick Mangold was an AWFUL one by Levy. In fact, to this day I'm still in shock that once we made the trade-up we didnt take Mangold.. I was about to get pumped as hell in anticipation of his name and was disgusted when they said McCargo.

However, I still have to put his value to this team REALLY HIGH because he is the ONLY DL we have that hasn't proved he's incapable of being good against the run.

Can't say I disagree with that at all. However if McCargo does live up the importance you think he means to the Bills, it would be a wash IMO.

patmoran2006
05-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Can't say I disagree with that at all. However if McCargo does live up the importance you think he means to the Bills, it would be a wash IMO.
Exactly