PDA

View Full Version : Quote from Bill Simmons

patmoran2006
05-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Last night when the Boston Celtics kinda got screwed out of a Top 2 pick in the NBA draft lottery, the first thing I thought of was Bill Simmons. A Celtics die hard and smart-ass legend, I couldn't wait to read his column today on ESPN.com to see his reaction.

I took the liberty of pullling this quote from his column, because right now it reminds me of Bills fans, homers specifically and the Buffalo Bills in general. So feel free to substitute "Celtics" for "Bills" and "garden" for the "the ralph" and whether you like it or not, this is pretty much the way it is.

The quote from Simmons
Long-suffering fans of perennial losers don't know what they're missing. After all, how would they know? You can't miss steak if you've never eaten steak, right? But if you're fortunate enough to follow a perennially successful franchise, then that same franchise starts decomposing right in front of you ... what then? The Celtics used to mean something; now they don't. Anyone who remembers the good old days -- when the Garden was rocking, when we were always in the hunt, when you honestly believed that we'd win every close game because someone was looking out for us, when everyone else feared us -- can't come to grips with what's happened. We're like one of those child actors who peaked at 15, made a ton of money, had everyone kissing their ass for a few years and then everything went to crap.

This quote 100% reminds me of the Bills of the early 1990's vs the Bills of this decade. Happy Negs and Groanings! The Jim Kelly-led Bills is that child actor who peaked at 15.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-23-2007, 04:31 PM
People in Boston sure are greedy. It isn't like their city hasn't enjoyed successful teams that last few years. Waaaah, the Celtics aren't winning.

Jan Reimers
05-23-2007, 04:35 PM
People in Boston sure are greedy. It isn't like their city hasn't enjoyed successful teams that last few years. Waaaah, the Celtics aren't winning.
The Bruins suck, too.

raphael120
05-23-2007, 04:37 PM
In all seriousness though, the Celtics have had pretty crap choices for first round draft picks. Their FO is to blame for horrible decisions.

patmoran2006
05-23-2007, 05:07 PM
Celtics have won 16 world championships.
I think the point he was attempting to make (over the entire article) is that it's worse when your USED to winning and then suddenly you go through an era of complete suckticity (my new word)

Us Bills fans who are in their 30's and older were used to that era when we were consistently great over a 7 or so year span from 1988-mid 90's... The Younger Bills fans here have never "had steak" so they don't know what it tastes like.

Ickybaluky
05-24-2007, 05:21 AM
I don't get how people can say the Celtics got screwed.

It was a draft lottery. Do people understand what a lottery is? They had a 1-in-5 chance at the top pick. They had a 2-in-5 chance at one of the top 2 picks. That means it was more likely they were going to be outside of the top-2 picks than get one of them. Yet, when it happens everyone is shocked.

Hey, it sucks for the C's, but that is the luck of the draw.

Simmons quote is stupid and arrogant. He sounds like a whiner who can't understand why everyone doesn't feel sorry for him.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-24-2007, 05:27 AM
Simmons quote is stupid and arrogant. He sounds like a whiner who can't understand why everyone doesn't feel sorry for him.

I have respect for this quote.

YardRat
05-24-2007, 05:32 AM
Celtics have won 16 world championships.
I think the point he was attempting to make (over the entire article) is that it's worse when your USED to winning and then suddenly you go through an era of complete suckticity (my new word)

Us Bills fans who are in their 30's and older were used to that era when we were consistently great over a 7 or so year span from 1988-mid 90's... The Younger Bills fans here have never "had steak" so they don't know what it tastes like.

Us fans who are 'older' also remember the late 60's, all of the 70's, and most of the 80's when it seemed like we would never even get close to the 'steak'. The same with the Sabres.

We know what it's like to perservere through the down times and realize that better has the possibility of becoming a reality as opposed to a fantasy.

eyedog
05-24-2007, 08:09 AM
Believe it or not the Bills didn't start playing in the late 1980's. Some of us remember the 70's through mid 80's. We deserved those ten years of good teams.

Buckets
05-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Us fans who are 'older' also remember the late 60's, all of the 70's, and most of the 80's when it seemed like we would never even get close to the 'steak'. The same with the Sabres.

We know what it's like to perservere through the down times and realize that better has the possibility of becoming a reality as opposed to a fantasy.

Right on brother!

patmoran2006
05-24-2007, 07:20 PM
Believe it or not the Bills didn't start playing in the late 1980's. Some of us remember the 70's through mid 80's. We deserved those ten years of good teams.
I remember the mid-80's vividly.

Im in my mid 30's, so around 1984-85 I was around 13-14 years old when the Bills went 2-14 back to back seasons. The funny thing, I dont remember which year, but one of them we beat a strong Dallas team.

I remember too well the Kay Stephenson, Hank Bullough, Matt Kofler, Joe Durek era...

I remember Jim Kelly getting off that plane after signing too and throw a pass, I think to Bob K(something polish, former channel 7/empire sports guy).. You just knew then that things would soon change.

For the younger Bills fans today, like the 15-22 year olds; that Simmons statement is true.. You cant miss Steak if you've never had it. I got a 13-year old son and as long as he can remember watching football (actually watching it) the Bills have always been losers with a whining owner, bumbling front offices and mediocre talent.