Could Briere and Drury BOTH be Back? Yep!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Jan 2004

Could Briere and Drury BOTH be Back? Yep!

Ed Kilgore

Upon further review, as the dust settles on the Sabres season and the focus on what's ahead becomes more clear, we may need to change one misperception.

For several reasons, I am convinced there is the very real possibility the Sabres might actually be able to re-sign BOTH Daniel Briere and Chris Drury, without disrupting their salary cap.

No, I'm not smoking anything funny, and I know I've been among the vast majority assuming Briere would be gone and possibly Drury as well.

The reality, I'm happy to say for Sabres fans, is different, and one big reason for that is that both Briere and Drury are sincere in their public statements about wanting to stay in Buffalo, believing this group, with a tweak or two, can still win the Stanley Cup.

While coach Lindy Ruff and gm Darcy Regier, who will be officially signing new contracts in the near future, assess the Sabres' season and personnel, owner Tom Golisano and the top brass are looking at ways to retain Briere and Drury without having to part with any of their talented younger players.

I believe there is a way to do it, and I also believe they plan to make very serious runs at both Briere and Drury in the near future.

Does this mean they'll be successful? Not at all.

Briere and Drury will both command new deals in the neighborhood of $6 million per season, and that is something I believe the Sabres think they can live with.

Could one or both make even more by leaving? Without question.

My gut feeling, again based on several factors, is that the Sabres still have more than a fighting chance to keep them despite that probability.

Will the ENTIRE team be back? In a word, no.
    It's quite likely two or more big contracts will be moved in one way or another, with Ales Kotalik still marketable elsewhere, and replaceable here, as one example.
    Last edited by BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan; 05-24-2007, 12:16 AM.
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Re: Could Briere and Drury BOTH be Back? Yep!

great opinion...until the Sabres actually sign them all bets are off.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• clumping platelets

I say let Briere walk and get some heart and grit on the blueline with that money

Comment

• don137
        • Jul 2002

I agree about needing some grit on defense. Spacek is not cutting it...Grit on defense is contagious. I truly believe the McKee with his shot blocking mentality was missed in the playoffs and that too many shots made it through from the point and too many goals were scored as a result. I feel if other players went down to block shots more would of followed.

As much as I love Connolly I think he is expendable. Throw in Kotalik that frees up about 6MM to be used as they please. Spacek is 3.5MM

We need Drury and feel he is a must sign. I love Briere but we have a lot of offensive weapons and I think a veteran on offense with grit like Gary Roberts and a tough defenseman is what this team needs more.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
          Roways rooking ahread!
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by clumping platelets
          I say let Briere walk and get some heart and grit on the blueline with that money
          Briere played hard during the reg. season & had more than his share of clutch goals, I'd like him back.

Comment

• mchurchfie
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Skooby
            Briere played hard during the reg. season & had more than his share of clutch goals, I'd like him back.
            My, how they forget, eh Skooby?
            My Band
            daveviterna.com

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Skooby
              good point. People forget that Briere had 6 game winning goals and 3 OT goals in the regular season. Plus one game winning goal in the postseason this year.

Comment

Working...
              X