PDA

View Full Version : Bucky Gleason's article on Max

Dr. Lecter
05-24-2007, 07:26 AM
I hate when reporters use half truths and tell half of the story. Gleason should work for Fox or CNN.

For anyone who can still hear James Patrick’s rocket ringing off the crossbar before Brett Hull scored with his foot in the crease. . . .
• The only thing less impressive than Maxim Afinogenov’s postseason was his nonchalance about getting knocked out in the conference finals. The Sabres winger basically brushed off losing to Ottawa in five games and suggested he was satisfied with the Presidents’ Trophy.

“I think we had a good run,” Afinogenov said. “Yeah, we lost, but I think we fight until the end. The whole team was exciting. It was a good season anyway.”

Yawn. Is this a guy the Sabres want on their team while they’re trying to keep co-captains Chris Drury and Daniel Briere? Afinogenov is a seductive talent, an electrifying player who puts people in the seats. He also gets them out of their seats when he’s not drawing teammates offside and giving away the puck. And while his 134 points in 133 games in two regular seasons are impressive, his eight goals and 17 points in 33 postseason games over the same span are not. He has 10 goals and 23 points in
49 career playoff games. Remember, his overtime winner against the Rangers came after he was a healthy scratch.
The Sabres, 15-7-3 without Max this season, don’t need him to sell tickets. He’s scheduled to pocket $3.5 million in each of the next two seasons. Sens fans thought the worst when they traded Martin Havlat and watched Zdeno Chara split for free agency. Ottawa kept the core intact and, obviously, grew stronger without them.

Just wondering if St. Louis would be interested in a swap for Lee Stempniak, straight up. Stempniak made $450,000 last season and had 27 goals, surpassing Afinogenov’s career high. The West Seneca native led Team USA in scoring during the world championships with six goals and 10 points in seven games while battling food poisoning.

Who knows what sent Afinogenov into a funk against the Rangers? Let’s just hope Max wasn’t suffering from something sophomoric, such as problems with his girlfriend.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/83000.html

1. Once he came back, Max was the leading scorer (at least in the Ottawa series. So he actually played very well. He alos did some hitting at that time
2.Max actually had tears in his eyes when discussing how he might not be back.
3. The local guy angle once again.

There is more in this article about the Sabres too. Some is a good read, but this first part is utter BS.

mchurchfie
05-24-2007, 07:38 AM
That article was bull**** about Max, I thought Sullivan wrote it at first. The only valid point in it was about how the Sabres underachieved.

THATHURMANATOR
05-24-2007, 07:42 AM
**** Max honestly. I could care less if we keep him or not.

mchurchfie
05-24-2007, 07:45 AM
No matter how you want to cut it Max is still a premier talent in the NHL, just ask any defensiveman that has to go against him.

BlackMetalNinja
05-24-2007, 07:46 AM
What is with the massive obsession with homegrown talent in WNY??? Sure it's a feel good story and all, but honestly, who wouldn't rather have the best talent rather than just the local talent?

Ebenezer
05-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Actually, I thought Bucky hit it right on the head.

Dozerdog
05-24-2007, 08:04 AM
All writers are ass hats

Dozerdog
05-24-2007, 08:08 AM
Max's potential of leaving has nothing to do with his "attitude"

He's an awesome offensive talent that I would love to keep. However- I will sacrefice him in order to keep Briere.

He's a free agent after next season- I'd rather sign Briere Long term rather than lose Briere now, and then have to lose Max after next year too.

Ebenezer
05-24-2007, 08:13 AM

He's an awesome offensive talent that I would love to keep. However- I will sacrefice him in order to keep Briere.

He's a free agent after next season- I'd rather sign Briere Long term rather than lose Briere now, and then have to lose Max after next year too.
...and Max will bring more on the open market than other players on this team.

Bufftp
05-24-2007, 08:16 AM
Actually, I thought Bucky hit it right on the head.Not surprised. But I completely disagree.

Dr. Lecter
05-24-2007, 08:23 AM

Max has two years left on his deal, not one.

Give me Max at 3.5 over Briere at 6.5 any day.

Dr. Lecter
05-24-2007, 08:23 AM
Actually, I thought Bucky hit it right on the head.

And the fact that Max led the Sabres in scoring after his benching is irrelevant or telling the complete truth? Or leaving our his anquish at possibly being traded is telling the full story?

Ebenezer
05-24-2007, 08:45 AM
And the fact that Max led the Sabres in scoring after his benching is irrelevant or telling the complete truth? Or leaving our his anquish at possibly being traded is telling the full story?
he performed well after the benching...other than that for 2 playoffs he disappeared. this team needs to improve and he can fetch more than other players on this team. i don't know what more you want from me. :::

Dr. Lecter
05-24-2007, 09:28 AM
he performed well after the benching...other than that for 2 playoffs he disappeared. this team needs to improve and he can fetch more than other players on this team. i don't know what more you want from me. :::

I agree he can fetch more, but if he is only going to obtain picks I would rather trade Kotalik for a 7th round pick than Max for a first since right now Max produces more.

I thought I saw a different and more mature player after his benching, the type that can make a difference in the playoffs.

THATHURMANATOR
05-24-2007, 09:40 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself. I am indifferent to Max honestly. Sure he has premier talent but he doesn't put up premier stats. He is a very good player but expendable IMO. Depends on what direction they want to go in obviously.

clumping platelets
05-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Max is trade bait

THATHURMANATOR
05-24-2007, 09:52 AM
I agree he can fetch more, but if he is only going to obtain picks I would rather trade Kotalik for a 7th round pick than Max for a first since right now Max produces more.

I thought I saw a different and more mature player after his benching, the type that can make a difference in the playoffs.
Wouldn't you rather have Briere than Max? I sure would. Max makes more than Kotalik, would clear more cap space and get more value in a trade. Honestly I say ship out Max and Kotalik both to keep Briere. We have a whole stable of forwards that can easily step in(Stafford, Paille, Kaleta, Ryan, Mcarthur, Zagapran) IMO the Roy Vanek line worked better with Stafford on it anyways as Stafford was more of a playmaker while it seemed that Vanek and Max would fight over the puck.

Dr. Lecter
05-24-2007, 10:56 AM
Iw ould rather have Briere than Max. That is a no brainer. But not at 3 million + difference in salary.

Kaleta, Ryan, Zagrapan and McArthur (maybe) are not adequate replacements, imo.

THATHURMANATOR
05-24-2007, 11:19 AM
Iw ould rather have Briere than Max. That is a no brainer. But not at 3 million + difference in salary.

Kaleta, Ryan, Zagrapan and McArthur (maybe) are not adequate replacements, imo.
Well Briere is heads and shoulders better IMO.

Right which is why Max would be replaced with Stafford who I think could be just as good next season. I think he is ready.

Say we get rid of Max and Kotalik here and somehow keep Drury and Briere here are our lines:

Hecht Briere Pommer
Stafford Roy Vanek
Gausted Druy Paille
Kaleta Mair Ryan/Mcarthur/zagapran

I am fine with this.

BlackMetalNinja
05-24-2007, 11:27 AM
Well Briere is heads and shoulders better IMO.

Right which is why Max would be replaced with Stafford who I think could be just as good next season. I think he is ready.

Say we get rid of Max and Kotalik here and somehow keep Drury and Briere here are our lines:

Hecht Briere Pommer
Stafford Roy Vanek
Gausted Druy Paille
Kaleta Mair Ryan/Mcarthur/zagapran

I am fine with this.

The "constant rolling of 4 lines" talk would come to an end... that 4th line is not very impressive. I think I'd personally rather get rid of Hecht then either Max or Kotalik, but one of those two along with Hecht would be dealable.

casdhf
05-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Where's Timmy, Thurm?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
05-24-2007, 10:12 PM
The whole Buffalo News or should I say The Buffalo :z: everyone at the paper should be fired heck there shouldn't even be a Buffalo News they're reporters are like high school kids reporting for the schools paper. The red fox jumped over the white fence that's what they're reporting is like. The sports page is only 2 or 3 pages except Sun. 1/2 the newspaper has ads instead of news. It's pathetic. I don't see why people bother even reading the garbage that they print. I buy a real paper the USA Today so what if it isn't local at least they give you front to back news.

YardRat
05-24-2007, 10:21 PM
I think Max made some strides this year in a positive direction, and am not against seeing him back for next year. The savings from Briere alone should be enough to upgrade this team, and if Max hasn't continued to improve then we can always dump him at the trade deadline. I don't really want to lose both before the season starts.

There's plenty of criticism to go around, and Max is less deserving of it than others such as Roy and Vanek, IMO.