PDA

View Full Version : DT Kris Jenkins - Interesting

Night Train
05-24-2007, 11:25 AM
From Chris Brown

DT JENKINS TRADE?: Carolina Panthers DT Kris Jenkins' agent is still pushing to get his client traded. (http://www.charlotte.com/panthers/story/133274.html) The Panthers were trying to move him before the draft, but wanted a first round pick for the former Pro Bowl DT. You won't be shocked to know his agent is Drew Rosenhaus. The Bills certainly have a need at the nose tackle spot, and Jenkins is the best available option out there right now.
You've got to imagine that the Panthers asking price would come down, especially for a DT that only played in five games in 2004 and 2005 after two consecutive knee injuries. He did play in all 16 games last season. The Panthers have a log jam at DT so Jenkins is expendable.
The injury history is a concern no question as are the reports that he's overweight. He has three years left on his contract and is making good money. He's set to earn $3.2M in base salary this year.
It would be a big investment and a team would have to likely give up something substantial to get him. But he doesn't turn 28 until August. I think it's worth investigating further.

Just speculation but I don't know if we could fit him under our self imposed cash to cap limit. The need is obvious and we do have that extra 3rd rounder next year. Hmmm..

Salary dumps would be needed. Anderson and Peerless would be a good start.

Why not try ?

casdhf
05-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Only if they'll take Tim Anderson for him.

THATHURMANATOR
05-24-2007, 11:28 AM
From Chris Brown

DT JENKINS TRADE?: Carolina Panthers DT Kris Jenkins' agent is still pushing to get his client traded. (http://www.charlotte.com/panthers/story/133274.html) The Panthers were trying to move him before the draft, but wanted a first round pick for the former Pro Bowl DT. You won't be shocked to know his agent is Drew Rosenhaus. The Bills certainly have a need at the nose tackle spot, and Jenkins is the best available option out there right now.
You've got to imagine that the Panthers asking price would come down, especially for a DT that only played in five games in 2004 and 2005 after two consecutive knee injuries. He did play in all 16 games last season. The Panthers have a log jam at DT so Jenkins is expendable.
The injury history is a concern no question as are the reports that he's overweight. He has three years left on his contract and is making good money. He's set to earn $3.2M in base salary this year.
It would be a big investment and a team would have to likely give up something substantial to get him. But he doesn't turn 28 until August. I think it's worth investigating further.

Just speculation but I don't know if we could fit him under our self imposed cash to cap limit. The need is obvious and we do have that extra 3rd rounder next year. Hmmm..

Salary dumps would be needed. Anderson and Peerless would be a good start.

Why not try ?

Why salary dumps? We have the cap room. Get rid of Anderson anyways.

bigbub2352
05-24-2007, 11:40 AM
Trade them Tim Anderson and our extra 3rd for him, when healthy the guy is top 5 DT in the league, he is only gonna be 28 and it would shore up the middle against the run

DraftBoy
05-24-2007, 11:48 AM
I would be interested to know the cost, but I cant see them taking less than a 2nd

Chris23
05-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Won't Happen

dannyek71
05-24-2007, 11:53 AM
We need our draft picks. And the guy is often injured.

DraftBoy
05-24-2007, 11:57 AM

He played all 16 games last year and never really got nicked up, his injuries dont appear to be cronic. And if we draft like we did this past season, Id rather move the picks. Not saying they are busts, just saying I dont like what I saw from them in college.

HAMMER
05-24-2007, 12:43 PM
He played all 16 games last year and never really got nicked up, his injuries dont appear to be cronic. And if we draft like we did this past season, Id rather move the picks. Not saying they are busts, just saying I dont like what I saw from them in college.

Riiiiight, and you wanted Brandon Siler.

eyedog
05-24-2007, 12:44 PM

Well we just drafted a d-tackle last year who is often injured.

BidsJr
05-24-2007, 12:50 PM

LOL

bernielivsey_1
05-24-2007, 12:54 PM
:air: As long as we do something to improve on the DT's we already have. I want a star not a hard worker. :dance:

eyedog
05-24-2007, 12:57 PM
I would trade the extra 3rd next year as long as Jenkins doesn't want more money and/or a contract extension.

mysticsoto
05-24-2007, 01:01 PM

Not that DB needs defending, but perhaps we should wait a bit before seeing if this is justified or not. A few years ago, I was adamant about drafting Jason Peters in the 3rd. He went undrafted much to my dismay and shock...but look at what he's become since.

Elminster
05-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Meh. Giving up a draft pick for some one who "can" play like a Pro-Bowler? I'm sorry, if he "can" play like a Pro Bowler and doesn't, that tells me that he is one of the following:
1)Out of shape
2)Injury-prone
3)Lazy
4)Not actually pro-bowl calibre (anymore)
Sorry, doesn't excite me...

Ickybaluky
05-24-2007, 01:08 PM
He reportedly showed up at minicamp weighing 384 lbs., and that was after losing some weight attending a clinic. His weight has been as high as 400+ in the past. He reportedly is trying to get his weight down prior to camp, but that is alarmingly heavy.

I like Jenkins, but he has had weight issues going back to college. If he is in shape he is a dominant inside player, but any team taking him on should have some protection in case he eats himself out of the league. He is the new Gilbert Brown.

eyedog
05-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Well we have the protection against the eating problem. Currently we have about 7-8 d-tackles but none of them are very good.
I would take the chance on him for the extra 3rd.

DraftBoy
05-24-2007, 01:19 PM

My record on players speaks for itself. Ill put it up against your own anyday. I think Siler will be a starter in this league, and I honestly believe that.

DraftBoy
05-24-2007, 01:20 PM
LOL

I dont even want to begin to hear from you about your idol Drew Tate. I can bring back the thread if youd like.

ShadowHawk7
05-24-2007, 01:22 PM
How does a 3rd round pick sound?

Oh wait, if you take Tim Anderson, we'll send you guys a 2nd rounder instead. Great, I'll fax it to the league offices tomorrow morning.

ShadowHawk7
05-24-2007, 01:25 PM
My record on players speaks for itself. Ill put it up against your own anyday. I think Siler will be a starter in this league, and I honestly believe that.
Surely Brandon Siler was better than CJ AcHoo. Anyone that contests that is being simply absurd. Siler's position also just happened to be one of our weakest. Achoo's position just happened to be one position we actually look solid at.

So basically, we didn't go for value OR need with our pick. Usually one would pick either BPA or a need position, but we decided to ignore both of them.

7th round pick or not, probably one of the WORST selections I've witnessed the Bills make.

Mudflap1
05-24-2007, 01:32 PM

What is your record on players? You seem to be convinced it's impressive. Is there actual documentation on this? And if so, has anyone recognized this other than yourself?

Not criticizing, I'm really curious.

Jon

DraftBoy
05-24-2007, 01:38 PM
What is your record on players? You seem to be convinced it's impressive. Is there actual documentation on this? And if so, has anyone recognized this other than yourself?

Not criticizing, I'm really curious.

Jon

No criticism taken, however I was awarded BZ Draft Expert in the last set of awards, and I did nail a sleeper at each of the big three posistions QB, RB, and WR, including the biggest sleeper of all in WR Marques Colston. Im not expert but my record is good on players and I like to know my information. Im up to any challenge of my record however. Ive definetly missed on a few in my time though too.

NOTE: Some of these players did not enter the draft last year (RB Slevin Young, WR Dallas Baker)

Read Last Years Draft Guide about the sleepers:

Everybody knows the big names in the draft. The Vince Young’s, the Reggie Bush’s, the Matt Leinart’s. Raise your hand though if you know who Paul McQuistan, Brett Elliott, Delaine Walker, and Drouzon Quillen are. Well I am here to tell you who they are and why they would be good picks for the Buffalo Bills. The draft doesn’t really even begin till day 2 kicks off and I am going to show you who you should look for come April 30th. A position by position breakdown and the top 5 sleepers at each position with other to look for. I hope you enjoy it.

Running Backs
Leon Washington 5’7 210lbs 40yd dash-4.5 FSU Projection-5th Rd
Positive;
Washington is one of the hardest runners you will ever see play the game of football. He anticipates where the holes are going to be uses his amazing burst to get through them. He has soft hands out of the backfield and is a smart player. You will never see him take a big hit. He is very versatile and can return both punts and kicks for special teams.

Negative;
With anybody of his size he is going to have some durability concerns. He has never carried a full load and there are questions about how much he can handle. He lacks ideal height and size for the position, and because of that he is not a very good blocker. Also he lacks the top gear that the elite backs have.

Gerald Riggs Jr. 6’0 215lbs 40yd dash-4.55 Tennessee Projection-5th Rd
Positive;
Is a very powerful back who will run over players. He has explosive cuts and his cutback ability is hard to rival in this class. When he gets going he is like a 18-wheeler headed down a hill. He has great vision to see the field and know when and where to try and cut back. With his size he is a good blocker. He is very hard to bring down with just arm tackles once he gets going down hill.

Negative;
He is not a very good outside runner, he does not turn the corner well and he is not an east west type of guy. His receiving skills leave a lot to be desired. He is not a good route runner and will struggle with catching ball out of the backfield. While Riggs has the size to be a good blocker what he lacks is the ability to both recognize and pickup the blitz.

Selvin Young 6’0 210lbs 40yd dash-4.52 Texas Projection-7th Rd
Positive;
Young has good size at 6’0 and has the frame to bulk up a little bit more. He is a slashing type runner who uses his good vision to his advantage. Makes great cuts to find the holes and get through them. Has the frame to develop into a good blocker.

Negative;
Has very limited experience as a starting back. He is also a very impatient runner who will need to learn to wait and let his blocks develop in front of him to make the big gains. He has had two major injuries, and that obviously raises some durability concerns. As of right now he is not a good blocker because of his poor technique

Lonta Hobbs 5’10 220lbs 40yd dash-4.51 TCU Projection-7th Rd
Positive;
Hobbs is a big power back who runs like a freight train. A lot of upside here who performs best when he gets running downhill. He has good speed for his size and great vision and patience to allow blocks to develop and find the holes. He has a low pad level when he runs and really lays a lick on would be tacklers. A real goal line back.

Negative;
He has some durability issues with injuries in both 2004 and 2005. He doesn’t have a lot of elusiveness in the open field. His receiving skills on not on par with those in the upper part of the class. He has to improve his awareness especially when it comes to recognition of blitzes and protection packages.

Mike Imoh 5’6 195lbs 40yd dash-4.5 Virginia Tech Projection; FA
Positive;
Imoh is a very shifty back, he has great agility and fit’s the mold of a change of pace back. He shows quickness and burst through the hole. He runs with good leverage and balance. He will drag tacklers along for extra yards and never stop his legs from moving.

Negative;
He is small, only 5’6 and many wonder if he’ll even make it as a change of pace back at that size. He has huge character issues and was suspended for three games in 2004 because of it. He has durability issues and most of all consistency issues. Seems lazy at time and will take plays off.

Others to watch;
RB Kejuan Jones-5’8, 189lbs, 40-4.5, Oklahoma-FA
RD Antoine Bagwell-5’10, 180lbs, 40-4.55, California-Pa. (DIII)-FA

Wide Receivers
1. Todd Watkins 6’2 185lbs. 40yd dash-4.4 BYU Projection: 5th Rd
Positive;
Watkins has incredible speed and can beat any team deep or over the middle picking up the YAC yards. He uses his speed well to gain separation from defenders down the field. Watkins has good size for his position and has springs for legs. A QB could easily just throw up a jump ball in the red zone and expect Watkins to come down with it. He has excellent awareness of where the holes are in zone coverage and can cut off a route to sit down in one them.

Negative;
Watkins is as thin as a toothpick and needs to bulk up before competing against the more physical bump and run corners in the league. He is still raw and played in a pass happy spread system at BYU. He’s not very familiar or good at down the field run blocking. He also prefers to stay to the outside and avoid the big hitting safeties over the middle. He still lacks the consistency in his hands and will drop the easy catches that drive fans nuts.

2. Delaine Walker 6’1 218lbs. 40yd dash-4.5 Central Missouri St Projection: 6th Rd
Positive;
Walker is a tough, physical receiver for his size, and he will rarely be jammed at the line by any CB. When Walker goes up in the air for a pass he has amazing control and allows for him to come down with the ball and remain upright to try and gain more yards. Walker is a fearless WR, he will go over the middle every play if you ask and lay a shoulder into anybody trying to lay a lick or tackle him. He is a good downfield blocker and finished his blocks as well as anybody. He has a great attitude. If he misses a ball he thinks he should of caught he will work 2x as hard the next down to make the next catch. He is a poor man’s Hines Ward.

Negative;
He will lose focus over the course of the game if not kept in the play and it needs to be corrected. He also will drop balls after his focus starts to wander. He has played against inferior competition his entire career and will need time to adjust to the speed of the game. The last concern of his game is that he lacks some explosiveness in and out of his cuts.

3. Marques Colston 6’4 222lbs. 40yd dash-4.53 Hofstra Projection: 6th Rd
Positive;
Colston has good size at 6’4 and that comes with long legs which allow for him to reach top speed quickly. Colston has solid and steady hands that will quickly become any QB’s best friends. He adjusts real well to a poorly thrown ball and is a true leaper which at his size is a huge advantage in the red zone.

Negative;
Colston lacks top end elite speed to blow by defenses. He also lacks quickness in and out of breaks which would make any CB bite on a quick move. He struggles to gain any separation down the field and will probably never be a home run threat. Lastly he is a poor blocker who must improve his technique. With his size he could become a dominant run blocker against any nickel back.

4. Jeff Webb 6’1 200lbs. 40yd dash-4.58 San Diego State Projection: 7th Rd
Positive;
Webb is another one of those receivers who you wont see getting jammed at the line of scrimmage. He has good body control when he goes up for a pass. Webb runs hard in his routes and is tough to take down one he gets a head of steam going. He has long arms which allow him to make plays away from his body or make adjustments for throws that are off, in which he displays his great concentration.

Negative;
Webb does not display good speed and is not a homerun threat. He cannot beat defenders down the field and displays poor footwork which even further hinders his speed. He has to take more steps to reach top speed than most WR’s in this class do. Lastly he lacks consistency with his route running and his catching skills.

5. Drouzon Quillen 6’6 218lbs. 40yd dash-4.52 Louisana-Monroe Projection: 7th Rd
Positive;
Quillen has one of the few things you cant teach in sports. That is size, you cannot teach a kid at a young age how to be taller. He’s also an athlete who uses his size well to shield defenders away from the ball. He can make tough catches look real easy as he rises up from a higher starting point to snatch the ball at its highest point. Quillen also has a long stride which allows him to reach top speed quickly.

Negative;
He has a checkered past with injuries, which leads to some durability concerns. He is also raw who lacks a lot of technique on the proper way to run routes, block, and escape the jam at the line. There are some worries about the level of competition he faced coming from such a small school conference. Lastly he needs to add some bulk to his huge frame in order to take the beating he will take in the NFL.

Others;
Bradon Marshall-6’4, 222lbs, UCF, 7th
Anthony Mix-6’4, 242lbs, 40-4.51, Auburn, 7th
Dallas Baker-6’3, 205lbs, 40-4.51, Florida, FA
Chris Hannon-6’3, 193lbs, 40-4.5, Tennessee, FA

Quarterbacks
1. Charlie Whitehurst 6’4 216lbs 40yd dash-4.7 Clemson Projection: 4th Rd
Positive;
Charlie posses a real NFL arm. He can make all the throws and better yet he can make them all accurately. He has great size at 6’4 and is a tough athlete. He can run if need be but he is a pocket passer. He posses great vision and the ability to see the receivers throughout the field and not just lock on to primary targets. One of Whitehurst’s greatest strengths however may be the ability for him to roll out of the pocket and accurately hit his targets both in the intermediate plane and the distant one.

Negative;
The biggest knock on Whitehurst has always been his consistency. He will look like a top 5 QB one drive and the next look like he shouldn’t be drafted. Its very tough to get a good read on Charlie Whitehurst because of this. He ran a very simple offense at Clemson so there is some concern about his learning curve once he reaches the NFL. Whitehurst worked mostly out of a shotgun set and will need work on his under center play. He also needs to work on reading defenses and how it affects his decision making. He tends too often to try and rely too heavily on his arm to fit the ball in tight spots.

2. Darrel Hackney 5’11 240lbs 40yd dash-4.9 UAB Projection: 4th Rd
Positive;
Hackney possesses one of the strongest arms in the draft. He regularly showed that off in the 2004 season hooking up with former first round pick WR Roddy White (Falcons). Hackney while not overly fast has a lot of quickness and he is able to read blitzes well to know when he should be ready to move out of the pocket and when he shouldn’t. Hackney is a true leader and extremely competitive. He gets very fired up on game days. Lastly Hackney makes his progressions very smoothly as he transfers from primary receivers to secondary and dump off receivers.

Negative;
Its no big secret that Hackney lacks ideal size. At only 5’11 it will be somewhat of a struggle for him to see over his tall lineman and offenses will have to be curtailed so they open up the proper lanes of vision. He has also had some issues with his weight and its been known to fluctuate in the off-season if he’s not monitored. Hackney played in a spread offense at UAB and will need to learn a pro system and there also some flaws in his technique that need ironing out. Lastly with his size there are always durability concerns.

3. Bruce Gradkoswki 6’1 220lbs 40yd dash-4.8 Toledo Projection: 5th Rd
Positive;
Gradkowski is your prototypical NFL QB. He has the right size and the right mechanics. He is deadly accurate and when he gets into his rhythm watch out. Gradkowski is a proven leader with Toledo and took a lot of punishment there that he played through. He has NFL QB smarts and excels throwing the underneath routes. Was the guy at a very successful Toledo program in the underrated MAC conference which has a history of good QB prospects.

Negative;
Has an issue with a hand and shoulder injury that never fully healed and has been looked into prior to the draft. He is still a little shorter than one might want at QB. Gradkowski played in a spread offense with mostly shotgun formations, He also has had a history of passes being batted down at the line. His arm strength leaves something to be desired still.

5. Tavaris Jackson 6’1 221lbs 40yd dash-4.75 Alabama St. Projection-6th Rd
Positive;
Jackson originally played for DI Arkansas before being buried on the depth chart and transferring to ASU. Jackson is an athlete he runs well and he throws well. He also throws well on the run. He is very accurate and has the arm strength to hit the deep out routes. Jackson is incredibly competitive and will work on anything he can to try and improve his game. He has huge upside and untapped potential.

Negative;
Jackson’s mechanics could use some serious work. He comes from a small school in DII and he never really needed to learn how to use proper footwork there. He tends to lock onto WR’s who are his primary targets and has shown inconsistency from drive to drive. He as of right now gets happy feet and wants to run when he has time to look for another target.

5. Erik Meyer 6’1 215lbs 40yd dash-5.02 Eastern Washington Projection-7th Rd
Positive;
Meyer has a great arm and on top of that has displayed incredible touch on his throws. He is very accurate hitting the underneath routes and can lead his receivers properly on the route for yards after the catch. He is a good leader and was a true field general at Eastern Washington.

Negative;
Coming from a small school with inferior talent Meyer will struggle reading the complex coverage schemes of the NFL. He also has a lack of patience to let things develop. He is only a one year starter and lacks experience starting at the position.

Others to watch;
QB Bruce Eugene-6’0,220lbs,40-5.18, Grambling-7th/FA
QB Brett Elliott-6’2, 203lbs, 40-5.26, Linfield (DIII)-FA

clumping platelets
05-24-2007, 10:17 PM
DT Walker and cond 08

DraftBoy
05-24-2007, 11:43 PM
DT Walker and cond 08

Not a bad idea Clump

Slim
05-25-2007, 12:24 AM
DT Walker and cond 08

amazing idea.

Night Train
05-25-2007, 02:22 AM
Could be very overweight. That could kill interest. Then again, these Ted Washington types can lose, gain 40 lbs. in a month.

Jenkins appeared happy, optimistic and overweight when he participated in the Panthers' post-draft minicamp this month. Some media reports have suggested that he weighed more than 380 pounds, at least 40 more than the Panthers prefer.

http://www.charlotte.com/panthers/story/133274.html

dolphan117
05-25-2007, 10:26 AM
Hold on a second, since when do the Bills "have a need at the NT spot"!?!? Hello, tampa 2, undersized penatrating DTs? If you guys were a 3-4 team than maybe this would make sense, but in a Tampa 2?

justasportsfan
05-25-2007, 10:35 AM
Hold on a second, since when do the Bills "have a need at the NT spot"!?!? Hello, tampa 2, undersized penatrating DTs? If you guys were a 3-4 team than maybe this would make sense, but in a Tampa 2?

Allaire will have him weighing 245 lbs. just like Schobel before the season starts. :tongue:

venis2k1
05-25-2007, 11:06 AM
A few years ago, I was adamant about drafting Jason Peters in the 3rd. He went undrafted much to my dismay and shock...but look at what he's become since.

as a TE?

cause if you "predicted" that a guy who has never played tackle before would be playing on almost a probowl caliber within 2 years of picking up the position, than you are crazy.

mysticsoto
05-25-2007, 12:12 PM
as a TE?

cause if you "predicted" that a guy who has never played tackle before would be playing on almost a probowl caliber within 2 years of picking up the position, than you are crazy.

He was a good TE the few times he was used. I mean, he is fast (for his size) and has VERY soft hands...do you remember who JP's 1st touchdown was to?

Earthquake Enyart
05-25-2007, 12:32 PM
You guys just don't get it. There is no room for a 350+ NT in the system that we play.