PDA

View Full Version : Day Four OTA Notes

justasportsfan
05-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Bills quarterback J.P. Losman had his best day of the week Thursday as his accuracy and touch were sharp throughout the practice. Losman had good touch passes on a pair of out patterns to Lee Evans and Josh Reed in which he dropped the ball over or in between defenders.

"We're light years ahead of where were last year at this point in time," said Losman of the offense as a whole. "That's probably the big thing. The confidence is there and everyone is just getting comfortable, critiquing and perfecting all that we worked on last year."

He and Evans hooked up five times during the practice session. They would have also combined for a touchdown had the ball not come out of Losman's hands a bit wobbly on his deep shot attempt to Evans down the left sideline. Evans had beaten Kiwaukee Thomas, but the ball had too much air under it and was intercepted by Ko Simpson. It was Losman's only blemish on the day.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4816

justasportsfan
05-24-2007, 01:50 PM
Schobel not there. Reed drops a pass. JP is intercepted. The Sky is falling!!!!

TacklingDummy
05-24-2007, 01:52 PM
JP being able to torch the Bills defense is just another sign of how horrible the Bills will be on D this year. :snicker:

Beating up what could be the worst defense in the league doesn't impress me. :snicker:

OpIv37
05-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Sounds like Nall is shaky- maybe Edwards should get reps with the second team, especially considering what we passed on to get him.

justasportsfan
05-24-2007, 01:56 PM
JP being able to torch the Bills defense is just another sign of how horrible the Bills will be on D this year. :snicker:

Beating up what could be the worst defense in the league doesn't impress me. :snicker:
Anyone knows that the O will beat up on the D until the pads come on but you're not anyone. Dummy is special.

TacklingDummy
05-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Sounds like Nall is shaky- maybe Edwards should get reps with the second team, especially considering what we passed on to get him.

:huh:

11-on-11
Craig Nall and the second unit offense went against the second unit defense to begin team work Thursday. Nall completed his first three passes including a deep touchdown pass to Sam Aiken, who has had a strong week.

7-on-7
Again the spread formations and nickel package sets were a focus. The offense was particularly sharp during this session. Losman was 8-for-9, Nall was 4-4 and Trent Edwards was 3-3 passing during the first series of 7-on-7.

justasportsfan
05-24-2007, 01:57 PM
http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

SAFETY CANDIDATES: Among the safety group the two rookie safeties that I think effectively cover the most ground are rookie free agents Trevor Hooper (Stanford) and Jon Corto (Sacred Heart). Both of them transition well when flipping their hips and they are both strong in the lateral movement category. That's important for a free safety in this system as they are called upon to cover half the field at times. ---

WIRE IS QUICKEST OF LBS: Just watching individual drills closely the past couple of days, it's apparent to me that Coy Wire is the quickest in the linebacking corps. His lateral movement is superior to everyone else's. Granted he's probably the lightest of the bunch which no doubt helps, but you can see it when they're all taking turns doing the same drills.

Wire has been playing mainly strong side LB this first OTA week, but that won't necessarily be his primary position. Wire is playing there because the staff wants him to learn all three LB positions in this system. Every LB on the roster must learn at least 2, but the staff feels Wire has the mental makeup to handle 3. Ideally I'd expect him to be a weak side LB.

The next quickest LBs in this defense after Wire in my opinion are John DiGiorgio and Keith Ellison. Again two of the lighter guys in the group, but don't discount their athleticism. They are quick.

justasportsfan
05-24-2007, 01:59 PM

Meathead
05-24-2007, 02:04 PM
:huh::huh:

OpIv37
05-24-2007, 02:05 PM

11-on-11
Craig Nall and the second unit offense went against the second unit defense to begin team work Thursday. Nall completed his first three passes including a deep touchdown pass to Sam Aiken, who has had a strong week.

7-on-7
Again the spread formations and nickel package sets were a focus. The offense was particularly sharp during this session. Losman was 8-for-9, Nall was 4-4 and Trent Edwards was 3-3 passing during the first series of 7-on-7.

I just re-read the article and I have no idea what I was talking about. Other than one INT to Webster, you're right, Nall was good.

I'm trying to figure out what I read that made me think Nall was struggling but I can't find anything, so I retract my statement.

Although, it would be nice if Edwards could leapfrog Nall on the depth chart.

mysticsoto
05-24-2007, 02:09 PM
I just re-read the article and I have no idea what I was talking about. Other than one INT to Webster, you're right, Nall was good.

I'm trying to figure out what I read that made me think Nall was struggling but I can't find anything, so I retract my statement.

Although, it would be nice if Edwards could leapfrog Nall on the depth chart.

It's part of your gloomy-slanted mind. If you don't see bad news...you make it up internally.

Besides, why would you promote Edwards leapfrogging over Nall...according to you, backup QB isn't even important and you could care less about our depth there...

OpIv37
05-24-2007, 02:12 PM
It's part of your gloomy-slanted mind. If you don't see bad news...you make it up internally.

Besides, why would you promote Edwards leapfrogging over Nall...according to you, backup QB isn't even important and you could care less about our depth there...

wow, this post is ignorant. I'm at work and I'm trying to do about 10 things at once, so I read it too quickly- so what?

Considering we gave up the opportunity to get CB or LB depth for Edwards, it would be nice if he could at least be #2 on the depth chart. And I never said I could care less about depth there- I said CB and LB depth are far more important.

mysticsoto
05-24-2007, 02:21 PM
wow, this post is ignorant. I'm at work and I'm trying to do about 10 things at once, so I read it too quickly- so what?

It's not a "so what"...it goes right to the point of who and how you are...without reading in depth, you automatically assumed something negative about Nall without any justification. Care to tell me how that happens out of the blue??? It's b'cse you're entire mindset starts out with negative thoughts!

Considering we gave up the opportunity to get CB or LB depth for Edwards, it would be nice if he could at least be #2 on the depth chart. And I never said I could care less about depth there- I said CB and LB depth are far more important.

QUIT ****ING SAYING THAT ****.

I already told you that I could care less about backup QB and my previous posts support my assertation.

You guys think I'm just *****ing to ***** because you can't see how dire the situation is through your red and blue colored glasses.

:idunno:

OpIv37
05-24-2007, 02:31 PM
It's not a "so what"...it goes right to the point of who and how you are...without reading in depth, you automatically assumed something negative about Nall without any justification. Care to tell me how that happens out of the blue??? It's b'cse you're entire mindset starts out with negative thoughts!

There was a passage about Nall throwing an interception- I probably saw that and didn't see the other stats. And if I do have negative thoughts about this team, can you really blame me at this point? We've been losing for a better part of a decade and in the past 5 years there have been two failed attempts at rebuilding. Seems to me that any logical person would be at least a little skeptical at this point.

Let me clarify on the QB thing. Few teams have a backup QB that can step in and win- the ones that do are usually teams with good D's and good running games that can compensate. Nall sucks, Edwards has no experience- the point is this team isn't good enough to sustain an injury to our starting QB, so at this point it's somewhat irrelevant who our backup QB is.

Meanwhile, we have no depth at CB or LB and the starters are unproven, meaning there is a better chance for a 3rd round pick to step in and contribute. And even if they're not good enough to start, backup CB or LB is much more likely to see the field because more of them play at a time (2-3 CB's and 2-3 LB's depending on the defensive set). And, it takes longer for QB's to learn the game than for any other position on the field. So, given all of that, it would be much wiser to take care of backup CB or LB BEFORE taking care of backup Qb.

I also made that comment about the backup QB AFTER you claimed I would have been *****ing about not having a back up QB despite no evidence to suggest that. Backup QB is NOT a priority IMO, but since we gave up so much to get one in terms of opportunity cost, he damn well better be up to to the job.

You know, you previously argued that no team has depth all over the field. Well, you seem pretty adament about having a back up QB for someone who's willing to accept a lack of depth.

justasportsfan
05-24-2007, 02:36 PM
I just re-read the article and I have no idea what I was talking about. .

No problem, we're used to it by now.

:jk:

RedEyE
05-24-2007, 02:37 PM
That's abot the 4th time in 4 days that I've read about K. Thomas getting beat long. Hopefully the DB coach is looking into this.

OpIv37
05-24-2007, 02:41 PM
No problem, we're used to it by now.

:jk:

Now that I look at it again, I think this is what I saw:

Aiken had Youboty beat on a deep sideline route, but had to wait for the ball allowing Youboty to get back in the play. Aiken however, outleaped Youboty for the ball to pull in the touchdown.

The defense again made some plays. Kiwaukee Thomas had a good pass breakup when covering Evans. Larry Tripplett batted down a pass headed for the flat. Jason Webster got his first interception in practice when he jumped in front of a Craig Nall pass that was intended for Aiken along the sideline.

It doesn't say if Tripplett's tipped pass was against Nall or not, but if it was, that's an INT, an underthrown ball and a tipped pass.

Considering the underthrown ball was still caught, I was probably still a little too harsh.

RedEyE
05-24-2007, 02:48 PM
Justa, any particular reason you groaned me, or do you groan everyone that makes an observation?

justasportsfan
05-24-2007, 02:50 PM
Now that I look at it again, I think this is what I saw:

It doesn't say if Tripplett's tipped pass was against Nall or not, but if it was, that's an INT, an underthrown ball and a tipped pass.

Considering the underthrown ball was still caught, I was probably still a little too harsh.

Zoning in on a negative as usual and your knee jerk reaction was a negative about Nall. It's okay. I've learned to accept who you are :up:

justasportsfan
05-24-2007, 02:53 PM
Justa, any particular reason you groaned me, or do you groan everyone that makes an observation?
haha! Twas an accident clickinh on another window. Didn't even know I did it till you told me . I hardly even groan OP . I only groan morons. Groan removed.

mysticsoto
05-24-2007, 02:59 PM
There was a passage about Nall throwing an interception- I probably saw that and didn't see the other stats. And if I do have negative thoughts about this team, can you really blame me at this point? We've been losing for a better part of a decade and in the past 5 years there have been two failed attempts at rebuilding. Seems to me that any logical person would be at least a little skeptical at this point.

Let me clarify on the QB thing. Few teams have a backup QB that can step in and win- the ones that do are usually teams with good D's and good running games that can compensate. Nall sucks, Edwards has no experience- the point is this team isn't good enough to sustain an injury to our starting QB, so at this point it's somewhat irrelevant who our backup QB is.

Meanwhile, we have no depth at CB or LB and the starters are unproven, meaning there is a better chance for a 3rd round pick to step in and contribute. And even if they're not good enough to start, backup CB or LB is much more likely to see the field because more of them play at a time (2-3 CB's and 2-3 LB's depending on the defensive set). And, it takes longer for QB's to learn the game than for any other position on the field. So, given all of that, it would be much wiser to take care of backup CB or LB BEFORE taking care of backup Qb.

I also made that comment about the backup QB AFTER you claimed I would have been *****ing about not having a back up QB despite no evidence to suggest that. Backup QB is NOT a priority IMO, but since we gave up so much to get one in terms of opportunity cost, he damn well better be up to to the job.

You know, you previously argued that no team has depth all over the field. Well, you seem pretty adament about having a back up QB for someone who's willing to accept a lack of depth.

Nice backpedalling...

On your last sentence...I am not adamant about backup QBs...I am adamant about seeing how people play before I judge them rather than pre-judging what the team and players are going to be like this year without having seen them perform as you already have prejudged the team...one would think no player could ever improve from one year to the next.

OpIv37
05-24-2007, 03:03 PM
Nice backpedalling...

On your last sentence...I am not adamant about backup QBs...I am adamant about seeing how people play before I judge them rather than pre-judging what the team and players are going to be like this year without having seen them perform as you already have prejudged the team...one would think no player could ever improve from one year to the next.

I never said they couldn't improve- I said it's highly unlikely for them to improve enough to compensate for their own shortcomings, improve the 28th ranked run D and compensate for the loss of 3 starters in just one off-season.

As far as Edwards goes- from what I've seen he wasn't all that great at Stanford, but it's not him personally that bothers me as much as the fact that the FO chose to address backup QB before CB and LB depth, and I think it's going to cost us on the field.

acehole
05-24-2007, 03:13 PM

Is it? Or is it a sign of JP improving?

Vin

OpIv37
05-24-2007, 03:18 PM
Is it? Or is it a sign of JP improving?

Vin

some from column A, some from Column B...

To be fair, the D is always going to get torched in non-contact drills.

THATHURMANATOR
05-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Schobel not there. Reed drops a pass. JP is intercepted. The Sky is falling!!!!
Reed didn't drop the pass, the pass itself was dropped in between defenders. Reed caught the ball.

Jan Reimers
05-24-2007, 03:34 PM
On a positive note, it's a great day to be alive. The birds are singing, the Bills are still in Buffalo, ticket sales are brisk, OTAs have started, and we have a promising young team that should be fun to watch grow and develop.

A pox on you negmeisters.

justasportsfan
05-24-2007, 05:02 PM
Reed didn't drop the pass, the pass itself was dropped in between defenders. Reed caught the ball.
OMG.!!!!

Night Train
05-24-2007, 05:53 PM
A pox on you negmeisters.

BOOOO Mothers Day ! BOOOOOOO !

They have no influence on my outlook. Work needs to be done but we're moving in the right direction.

I enjoy Chris Browns blogs and watching the highlights on the local news. Lynch sure looks fast and catches the ball with ease. Right now, it's about getting the playbook down, more than execution.

Sure liked drafting Lynch, Poz and Wright. They could help immediately. Edwards is a fine insurance policy. Time for others to step up.

I'll enjoy the summer but looking forward to visiting camp in August and getting a better idea of what we have. Until then, it's all a guess but I'll take the positive approach.

Go Bills !

ShadowHawk7
05-24-2007, 06:21 PM
One thing I wasn't happy to read was how Aiken worked Youboty on that one deep play. We're all hoping Youboty can start for us, but if he's getting consistently beat by WRs like Aiken, that is not good news.

That being said, I am not passing judgment on him or anything, just saying he has a lot of work to do to earn that spot.

Chris23
05-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Sounds like Nall is shaky- maybe Edwards should get reps with the second team, especially considering what we passed on to get him.We didn't pass on anything STFU!

Tatonka
05-24-2007, 07:55 PM

well damn.. you got served OP.

Tatonka
05-24-2007, 08:00 PM
I never said they couldn't improve- I said it's highly unlikely for them to improve enough to compensate for their own shortcomings, improve the 28th ranked run D and compensate for the loss of 3 starters in just one off-season.

As far as Edwards goes- from what I've seen he wasn't all that great at Stanford, but it's not him personally that bothers me as much as the fact that the FO chose to address backup QB before CB and LB depth, and I think it's going to cost us on the field.
did it ever remotely dawn on you that maybe they really like the linebackers they have? na.. of course not.. there is no way that any of them could be worth a ****.. just like crowell wasnt worth a **** before spikes got hurt and he turned into a started and did really well.. just like ellison was a garbage 6th round pick before having to start.

and maybe.. just maybe.. they thought the options at cb sucked.. but hey.. what do they know.. you saw a cornerbacks name that you recongnized on the board and assumed that it must have ment that the bills screwed the pooch on the pick.

HHURRICANE
05-24-2007, 08:19 PM
That's abot the 4th time in 4 days that I've read about K. Thomas getting beat long. Hopefully the DB coach is looking into this.

No negativity allowed, ever.

HHURRICANE
05-24-2007, 08:21 PM
"We're light years ahead of where were last year at this point in time," said Losman of the offense as a whole. "That's probably the big thing. The confidence is there and everyone is just getting comfortable, critiquing and perfecting all that we worked on last year."

This obviously is some good news.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
05-24-2007, 08:38 PM

You eat Poop

G. Host
05-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Nice backpedalling...

Too bad all of our DBs can backpedal so well....

ShadowHawk7
05-24-2007, 09:15 PM
and we have a promising young team that should be fun to watch grow and develop.

That is one thing I am happy about. After previous years when we made huge FA and draft splashes, were committed to the WIN NOW philosophy and fell flat on our faces (02, 03, 04, 05), it is nice to have some legitimate hope about the rise of the youth on our team.

This is a year where we should be genuinely happy to see a 8-8 or 9-7 club.

OpIv37
05-24-2007, 09:31 PM
We didn't pass on anything STFU!

nah.... just a guy that Bill Polian thought was a good fit for a very similar defensive scheme to ours, but what does he know?

And if you disagree with me, that's fine, but come up with something a little more constructive than "STFU".

OpIv37
05-24-2007, 09:34 PM
did it ever remotely dawn on you that maybe they really like the linebackers they have? na.. of course not.. there is no way that any of them could be worth a ****.. just like crowell wasnt worth a **** before spikes got hurt and he turned into a started and did really well.. just like ellison was a garbage 6th round pick before having to start.

and maybe.. just maybe.. they thought the options at cb sucked.. but hey.. what do they know.. you saw a cornerbacks name that you recongnized on the board and assumed that it must have ment that the bills screwed the pooch on the pick.

If ALL these LB's are so good and Spikes and Fletcher were SO bad last year, why were they still on the bench? And I don't know why so many people are in love with Ellison- he started cuz we had no one else. He wasn't bad, but he wasn't great either. People say "hey! a rookie starting!" but they forget we had 3 injuries at LB (Spikes, Crowell, Stamer) and Haggan, Wire and DiGiorgio were the other LB's on the roster. Sorry but I'm less than impressed.

And Polian didn't seem to think the CB options sucked, but hey, what does he know?

Yeah, yeah, I know... they haven't played the games yet and no one knows what will happen. But on paper, this D sucks. You can come up with whatever BS you have to in order to avoid dealing with it. I'd rather be realistic.

justasportsfan
05-25-2007, 08:40 AM
fact that the FO chose to address backup QB before CB and LB depth, and I think it's going to cost us on the field.

He's right mystic. The FO should've grabbed a back up cb first.

OpIv37
05-25-2007, 08:52 AM
He's right mystic. The FO should've grabbed a back up cb first.

What makes you so sure the CB would be a back up. Youboty's a 3rd rounder with almost no experience and he may end up starting. Picking Hughes or someone would have given us another option in case Youboty sucks. Instead, to use an outdated cliche, all the eggs are in one basket.

No matter how good Edwards does in camp, he's still going to be holding a clipboard on Sunday afternoons. The same isn't necessarily true of a CB or LB pick.

But that's ok- we need guys to hold clipboards more than we need guys who could potentially contribute on the field. I don't know why I'm whining again :rolleyes:

justasportsfan
05-25-2007, 08:56 AM
What makes you so sure the CB would be a back up. Our coaches drafting a qb instead? I don't know about you but that's usually a sign.

OpIv37
05-25-2007, 08:58 AM
Our coaches drafting a qb instead? I don't know about you but that's usually a sign.

Yeah, the coaches are ALWAYS right just because they're the coaches. If that's the case, how do you explain Mike Mularkey and Gregg Williams?

And if you want to go to the current coaching staff, Tutan Reyes was signed last year, got benched and isn't on the team anymore. I could go on with other examples from last year's FA classes, but that proves right there that simply being a coach doesn't make anyone 100% on personnel decisions.

justasportsfan
05-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Yeah, the coaches are ALWAYS right just because they're the coaches. If that's the case, how do you explain Mike Mularkey and Gregg Williams?

WHere did I say they are always right? You asked me how I knew he would be a back up and all I did was point out what the coaches might be thinking by going with a qb instead. :rolleyes:

Besides, I've already pointed it out that even BB didn't get it right all the time neither did Polian so you're preaching to the choir.

OpIv37
05-25-2007, 09:02 AM
WHere did I say they are always right? You asked me how I knew he would be a back up and all I did was point out what the coaches might be thinking by going with a qb instead. :rolleyes:

and I'm saying that just because it's what the coaches were thinking doesn't automatically make a good decision.

justasportsfan
05-25-2007, 09:03 AM
and I'm saying that just because it's what the coaches were thinking doesn't automatically make a good decision.

I edited my prior post.

My point is , if they think they had more value taking a qb then I don't have a problem. So far they haven't screwed up the draft yet which is why I give them the benefit of a doubt. You in the meantime already know for sure that they screwed it up by going with a back up qb instead of a back up cb.

mysticsoto
05-25-2007, 09:06 AM

And if you want to go to the current coaching staff, Tutan Reyes was signed last year, got benched and isn't on the team anymore. I could go on with other examples from last year's FA classes, but that proves right there that simply being a coach doesn't make anyone 100% on personnel decisions.

So if the coaches who are there watching all the players all the time and have seen what they can do...if they can sometimes be wrong...where does that leave you???

justasportsfan
05-25-2007, 09:07 AM
So if the coaches who are there watching all the players all the time and have seen what they can do...if they can sometimes be wrong...where does that leave you???

that reminds me, i need to check my Lotto ticket.

OpIv37
05-25-2007, 09:25 AM
I edited my prior post.

My point is , if they think they had more value taking a qb then I don't have a problem. So far they haven't screwed up the draft yet which is why I give them the benefit of a doubt. You in the meantime already know for sure that they screwed it up by going with a back up qb instead of a back up cb.

I know we have holes at CB and LB that weren't addressed.

OpIv37
05-25-2007, 09:26 AM

I've consistently maintained that what I've been saying is my opinion based on the information available to me at this time.

mysticsoto
05-25-2007, 09:39 AM

I know you are not going to listen, but I thought this was interesting from Chris Brown's blog:

WIRE IS QUICKEST OF LBS: Just watching individual drills closely the past couple of days, it's apparent to me that Coy Wire is the quickest in the linebacking corps. His lateral movement is superior to everyone else's. Granted he's probably the lightest of the bunch which no doubt helps, but you can see it when they're all taking turns doing the same drills.
Wire has been playing mainly strong side LB this first OTA week, but that won't necessarily be his primary position. Wire is playing there because the staff wants him to learn all three LB positions in this system. Every LB on the roster must learn at least 2, but the staff feels Wire has the mental makeup to handle 3. Ideally I'd expect him to be a weak side LB.
The next quickest LBs in this defense after Wire in my opinion are John DiGiorgio and Keith Ellison. Again two of the lighter guys in the group, but don't discount their athleticism. They are quick.

Wire was clearly not very well suited for the safety position. But as a LB, he seems to be exceling...I look forward to seeing him more at the position.

OpIv37
05-25-2007, 09:42 AM
I know you are not going to listen, but I thought this was interesting from Chris Brown's blog:

Wire was clearly not very well suited for the safety position. But as a LB, he seems to be exceling...I look forward to seeing him more at the position.

So what? Quickness doesn't always translate into good football skills. I still don't see Wire being able to do anything against the run, and until he does his skills against the pass are irrelevant.

Why is it that when I say Losman's performance in an OTA "almost made me nervous" I got trashed because OTA's are meaningless, but the same standard doesn't apply when Wire does something good?

justasportsfan
05-25-2007, 09:45 AM
I've consistently maintained that what I've been saying is my opinion based on the information available to me at this time.

I get it. You trust your own opinion more to the point that you know for sure that they were wrong and you are right over an FO that has yet to prove they are clueless in drafting. :up:
My wait and see approach sucks.

mysticsoto
05-25-2007, 09:45 AM
So what? Quickness doesn't always translate into good football skills. I still don't see Wire being able to do anything against the run, and until he does his skills against the pass are irrelevant.

Why is it that when I say Losman's performance in an OTA "almost made me nervous" I got trashed because OTA's are meaningless, but the same standard doesn't apply when Wire does something good?

http://www.hellblazer.com/media/i-cant-hear-you.jpg

:funny:

OpIv37
05-25-2007, 09:49 AM
I get it. You trust your own opinion more to the point that you know for sure that they were wrong and you are right over an FO that has yet to prove they are clueless in drafting. :up:
My wait and see approach sucks.

your non committal approach sucks. I don't know why you're giving me such a hard time for expressing my opinion rather than "wait and see". If everyone had that mentality, what the hell would we talk about this time of year.

OpIv37
05-25-2007, 09:50 AM
http://www.hellblazer.com/media/i-cant-hear-you.jpg

:funny:

Nice- post insults instead of addressing my valid points or the double standard on OTA information.

justasportsfan
05-25-2007, 09:51 AM
your non committal approach sucks.

I agree. Your," I know better than the FO and will whine about their every move after 1 year" is a better approach . :up:

Not everyone can predict a record based on the personel as well as you OP just like last year when they surpassed YOUR expectations. You know better than the FO that you once admitted to have the team headed the right direction.

mysticsoto
05-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Nice- post insults instead of addressing my valid points or the double standard on OTA information.

B'cse you did exactly what I said you would do. You take positive news and ignore it. You don't have valid points...b'cse you don't know how these players are going to fare come game time - it isn't even TC yet...they have plenty of time to improve...and for some...recover from injuries. At best, you have valid concerns...not points!

OpIv37
05-25-2007, 09:59 AM
B'cse you did exactly what I said you would do. You take positive news and ignore it. You don't have valid points...b'cse you don't know how these players are going to fare come game time - it isn't even TC yet...they have plenty of time to improve...and for some...recover from injuries. At best, you have valid concerns...not points!

If I don't have "points", then the info about Wire being fast and doing good in OTA's doesn't constitute "points" either. Since we haven't played any games yet, I don't know why you think that the info about Wire you posted is somehow more valid than my "concerns".

Damn, you're going out on a limb defending COY WIRE- If Wire was on the Fins and FTP came here with the same information, everyone would laugh and call him a Fins homer.

casdhf
05-25-2007, 10:02 AM
I thought Wire's thing was always being good against the run and blowing in pass coverage.

OpIv37
05-25-2007, 10:03 AM
I thought Wire's thing was always being good against the run and blowing in pass coverage.

from the S spot.

At LB, it's reversed- he's a little faster than most LB's and has concentrated more on pass coverage, so he's more than good enough for pass coverage as an LB (which is required in the Cover 2).

However, he's undersized as an LB so when it comes to shedding blockers his size becomes a liability against the run.

justasportsfan
05-25-2007, 10:13 AM
It's snowing in hell. Role reversal.

so he's more than good enough for pass coverage as an LB (which is required in the Cover 2).

Would you mind if I actually see proof of this on game day?

BTW, I'm not saying he sucks , just would rather have facts.

Hey, at least I'm consistent in the wait and see approach :D.

OpIv37
05-25-2007, 10:15 AM
It's snowing in hell. Role reversal.

Would you mind if I actually see proof of this on game day?

BTW, I'm not saying he sucks , just would rather have facts.

Hey, at least I'm consistent in the wait and see approach :D.

I should have said "he should be good enough in pass coverage from the LB spot".

His pass coverage was a little shaky from the S spot so there is reason for concern, but LB's don't have to run down the field with a WR for long distances so pass coverage isn't as hard. Is Wire up to it?

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I still don't like him at LB cuz I think his size will be a liability against the run.

justasportsfan
05-25-2007, 10:17 AM
Guess we'll have to wait and see.

:shocked: