PDA

View Full Version : Canadian billionaire buying Predators; Nashville future in doubt

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
05-24-2007, 04:48 PM
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -Nashville Predators owner Craig Leipold confirmed Thursday he has signed a letter of intent to sell the franchise to Canadian billionaire Jim Balsillie for $220 million.

"I'm tired of losing money," Leipold said. "I found someone willing to step up and invest in this team and make it happen."

The terms of the sale, which must be approved by the NHL's Board of Governors, call for the deal to be completed by June 30.

Leipold has owned the team since the NHL awarded the franchise in June 1997. But he had been talking to Balsillie about buying the team since January and decided to sell after losing $15 million this past season and approximately $70 million since landing the franchise in 1997.

"I have come to the conclusion that I cannot make it work here," said Leipold, who became emotional and had to pause at one point. "We are one of the elite teams in this league, and we are by far the lowest revenue team in the league."

Leipold said he hopes Balsillie's business skill can tap into the corporate support he never found to help him make a profit. He said he made money one year, and that was $640,000.

The Predators averaged 13,815 in paid attendance this season despite finishing with 110 points and third in the NHL.

Whether the Predators remain in Nashville past the 2007-08 season remains to be seen. Leipold has until June 19 to exercise a "cure" clause in the team's arena lease that would force the city to buy tickets and ensure attendance averages 14,000 next season.

Leipold said he has not yet discussed with Balsillie whether to exercise that clause.

But the consent agreement with the NHL that must be signed includes a clause that prevents a new owner from relocating the team for seven years. An arena lease would have to be in effect to force the new owner to follow that league requirement.

Asked if Balsillie intends to keep the team in Nashville, Leipold said he did not know.

"You'll have to ask Mr. Balsillie that question," Leipold said.

Basillie, who withdrew a $175 million offer to buy the Pittsburgh Penguins in December because of a similar non-relocation clause, said in a statement he is thrilled to have a chance to buy the Predators. He is the co-CEO of Blackberry makers Research in Motion Ltd.
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=310846&page=NewsPage&service=page

Here we go again! this is the same guy that was going to buy the Penguins and the deal fell through and the rumors were that he was going to move them to Winnipeg. Now he will own the Nashville Predators will he try to move them to Winnipeg? hmmm I think so also I heard that some guy in Winnipeg who is running for mayor and if he's elected he would bring back the Winnipeg Jets. Also there's KC The Sprint Center is almost complete and they want hockey.

RockStar36
05-24-2007, 04:51 PM
Not that I support moving teams but if the Predators do move I really hope they move to Canada. Moving to KC would be the same thing as keeping them in Nashville. They need to go to a more lively hockey market.

GThirst
05-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Nashville should be moved. Stupid red necks.

Ebenezer
05-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Winnipeg Predators....that would look real good with a rivalry against the Minnesota Wild.

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-24-2007, 06:15 PM
Isn't that the same guy that wanted to move a team to Kitchner or Hamilton a few years ago?

OpIv37
05-24-2007, 06:22 PM
This is where I would usually make a joke about a Canadian billionaire having about $300 American dollars, but unfortunately that is no longer the case.

G. Host
05-24-2007, 06:37 PM
Rename them the Nashville Racecars and it will sell out.
Really wrong market for hockey.

Ebenezer
05-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Rename them the Nashville Racecars and it will sell out.
Really wrong market for hockey.
let's be honest...the could move Nash, Atl, Flor, one of the LA teams and Phoenix and nobody would care...same would have been said if Car or Dallas had not won the cup or Anaheim be this close.

JD
05-25-2007, 08:05 AM
Kansas City is a huge sports market believe it or not.. and the Sprint Center is an american landmark as far as I'm concernced, nothing short of spectacular.

User Manuel
05-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Isn't that the same guy that wanted to move a team to Kitchner or Hamilton a few years ago?

He has been quoted as saying he was intersted in putting a team in either the Hamilton or Kitchener/Waterloo/London area.

The Kitchner/Waterloo/London Area is huge, has a lot of money and would be a great spot for another team. A shame for Nashville though.

I have heard they would build an Arena in the Cambridge area.

JD
05-25-2007, 09:07 AM
man, i remember when we were down this road.. now i dont think it will ever be possible for us to fall to those lows again.

*knocking on wood* of course

Michael82
05-25-2007, 11:01 AM
He has been quoted as saying he was intersted in putting a team in either the Hamilton or Kitchener/Waterloo/London area.

The Kitchner/Waterloo/London Area is huge, has a lot of money and would be a great spot for another team. A shame for Nashville though.

I have heard they would build an Arena in the Cambridge area.
I wonder what hammerbillsfan would do if they moved the Predators to his home town of Hamilton....maybe he would jump on the bandwagon and finally realize that the Maple Leafs suck and won't win anything, anytime soon. :snicker:

hammerbillsfan
05-25-2007, 11:48 AM
They are never coming to Hamilton, plain and simple.

Michael82
05-25-2007, 11:50 AM
They are never coming to Hamilton, plain and simple.
Speaking of which....how are the Bulldogs doing? :scratch:

hammerbillsfan
05-25-2007, 11:53 AM
Speaking of which....how are the Bulldogs doing? :scratch:

1 win away from the final!!! :bravo: :up: :jig: :beers:

CuseJetsFan83
05-25-2007, 12:11 PM

figures good luck on the calder!

Michael82
05-25-2007, 12:14 PM
:shocked: Very impressive!

SABURZFAN
05-25-2007, 06:58 PM
i would like to see them move to Quebec.

CuseJetsFan83
05-26-2007, 01:40 AM
IMO either winnipeg should deserve it..... plus the only negative is that could cause them to lose the moose.... and they have a nice rivalry with the amerks, crunch and bulldogs.......

but i wouldnt mind another reincarnation of the nordiques......... just give us some more hatred :-)....

only problem with that is the obvious reallignment that would be needed....

LABillsFan
05-26-2007, 03:02 PM
let's be honest...the could move Nash, Atl, Flor, one of the LA teams and Phoenix and nobody would care...same would have been said if Car or Dallas had not won the cup or Anaheim be this close.

Phoenix yes, don't know about Alt or Fla. The Kings and Ducks, they are pretty safe here in LA and Orange. However, you know you're in trouble when the ratings in Buffalo were higher for the SJ/Det series than they were in SJ. Figure that one out. The Shark tank is usually filled, but viewership is horrendous.

KC wouldn't be a bad place, they would hav a KC/St. Louis rivalry hopefully, and Dallas is close by as well. I never understood why Portland or Seattle couldn't get a team. I guess it comes down to a choice of Hockey or Methe.

Mr. Pink
05-27-2007, 03:11 PM
His only chance for moving the team comes if attendance falls under 14K on average for the year. I've heard that fans of the Predators are well aware of this, and some of them, shockingly, do care. I'd be surprised if their attendance dips below 14K on average for the season this year. Especially from what I read, they weren't too much under that this past season.

The only plausible reason he has to move the team is based on the attendance...if the Predator fans get it over 14K on average, he has no basis to move the franchise. I don't expect them to move.

Winning Franchise + New Building + Fan base that knows the reality of the situation = Franchise staying in Nashville.