• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Pink
    Peterman Sucks!
    • Mar 2006

Cause for concern on Darwin Walker?

Adam Schefter is reporting that if the Bills do not sign Darwin Walker to a contract extension ie. he reports, by August 5th...that Walker will be returned to the Eagles and all we'll receive is a 6th round draft pick out of the deal.

"While formulating the trade, the Bills and Eagles agreed that if Walker did not report to Buffalo for training camp by Aug. 5, then he would revert to Eagles property and the Bills would get the Eagles sixth-round pick in 2008."

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Thoughts?
  • bflojohn
    • Aug 2005

According to Adam Schefter

The article states that the Bills are protected by having a 6th rounder to fall back on if Darwin Walker doesn't report by August 5th. Therefore, the Bills will recieve a 6th and 7th from the Eagles for Spikes and Holcomb, if Walker doesn't get his contract issues settled. Interesting?!?!

Comment

• RedEyE
      • Jul 2002

Re: Cause for concern on Darwin Walker?

So let me get this straight, if Walker fails to report to Buffalo by Aug 5th, then the Eagles get him back, keep Spikes and Holcomb, and all we get is a lousey 6th and 7th round pick out of the deal?

I mean I guess it's better then nothing, but who agreed to that hook?

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by RedEyE
        So let me get this straight, if Walker fails to report to Buffalo by Aug 5th, then the Eagles get him back, keep Spikes and Holcomb, and all we get is a lousey 6th and 7th round pick out of the deal?

Going by the report, marv levy.

Trading Takeo Spikes in essence for a 6th round pick is discraceful- they better work out something.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• bflojohn
          • Aug 2005

My post was a "new thread" effort, however, my view is that I believe that the Bills will be better off with Darwin Walker than without him. I'm interested in the Bills being as good as they can possibly be, and Walker would help their DT situation. I guess we will see if he really wants to be here though! A 2008 6th rounder obviously doesn't make tackles for the 2007 season in a Bills uniform. I want him in camp personally!! Go Bills!!!

Comment

• RedEyE
            • Jul 2002

If I'm Walker, I have no intention of showing up in Buffalo. Work a deal under the table with the Eagles and let Buffalo choke down a 6th rounder. Philly signs Walker a little closer to his prefered numbers as a favor for doing them a favor, and then drop Holcomb off the roster to make room for Walker.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
              Peterman Sucks!
              • Mar 2006

If I'm Walker, I have no intention of showing up in Buffalo. Work a deal under the table with the Eagles and let Buffalo choke down a 6th rounder. Philly signs Walker a little closer to his prefered numbers as a favor for doing them a favor, and then drop Holcomb off the roster to make room for Walker.

Who knows if this was the plan all along?

Other possibiliity includes the Bills knew all along that he'd never sign here, wanted to dump Spikes salary, knowing/thinking in their minds that he was done. And without any other way to get rid of his salary, they made this maneuver. Then, when Walker doesn't sign here, the front office can spin it into, well we tried to get an impact player but he just had no desire to sign here. Which lessens public outcry on just dumping Spikes for a 6th round pick, or outright releasing him.

Just two conspiracy based theories on the situation. For all we know, they could be working on a contract right now. But to me at least, this causes a lot of concern to see that we made a move for a guy who now, may never suit up as a Buffalo Bill.

Comment

• RedEyE
                • Jul 2002

Well we know for sure that Buffalo has already made preparations to move ahead without him.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!

Other possibiliity includes the Bills knew all along that he'd never sign here, wanted to dump Spikes salary, knowing/thinking in their minds that he was done. And without any other way to get rid of his salary, they made this maneuver. Then, when Walker doesn't sign here, the front office can spin it into, well we tried to get an impact player but he just had no desire to sign here. Which lessens public outcry on just dumping Spikes for a 6th round pick, or outright releasing him.
                  That is the very FIRST THING I thought of the second I started hearing about Walker's contract bull****.. Marv isn't stupid enough to trade for someone who doesnt want to be here under his contract-- so obviously this was the "contigent" plan-- which in all reality was a TKO salary dump without necessarily making the Bills look cheap..

Comment

• RedEyE
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                    That is the very FIRST THING I thought of the second I started hearing about Walker's contract bull****.. Marv isn't stupid enough to trade for someone who doesnt want to be here under his contract-- so obviously this was the "contigent" plan-- which in all reality was a TKO salary dump without necessarily making the Bills look cheap..
                    I actually can't disagree with this. It was totally a cap clearing move. You also have to think if Buffalo held onto Spikes just a little longer, a team like Washington might have broke the bank to sign him.

Comment

• RedEyE
                      • Jul 2002

I hope we don't find out next that if McGahee fails to break 1400 yards the Bills will have to cough up JP Losman.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                        • Dec 2005

I actually can't disagree with this. It was totally a cap clearing move. You also have to think if Buffalo held onto Spikes just a little longer, a team like Washington might have broke the bank to sign him.
                        Absolutely no doubt your right. It was a cost-cutting trade. When a player is as talented as TKO AND your depth consists of guys like Wire, DiGorgio and Haggans- dumping off Spikes was 100% to save money.

But at least I thought (at the time) we were getting respectable value for him in Walker...

We'll have to wait and see how it unfolds.. but by ALL MEANS, we have the cap room to sign him, Marv HAD to know the situation going in (any competent GM would)-- so if they dont sign him and we end up only with a 6th rounder-- then it was the Bills "masked' way of just dumping off Spikes

Comment

• Night Train
                          Retired - On Several Levels
                          • Jul 2005

Adam Schefter is reporting that if the Bills do not sign Darwin Walker to a contract extension ie. he reports, by August 5th...that Walker will be returned to the Eagles and all we'll receive is a 6th round draft pick out of the deal.

"While formulating the trade, the Bills and Eagles agreed that if Walker did not report to Buffalo for training camp by Aug. 5, then he would revert to Eagles property and the Bills would get the Eagles sixth-round pick in 2008."

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

Thoughts?
                          So be it.

He's got 2 freakin' years left on his deal and shouldn't be holding out. We all know Spikes and Holcomb was a salary dump of players that either didn't want to be here ( Spikes ) or fit anymore ( Holcomb ).

Offer him a slight bump. If his agent says no, then never call him again and let the Eagles have him back. Screw him.

Then sign Sam Rayburn to the vet minimum and look around for more help, once camp begins.
                          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• feelthepain
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Mar 2005

Just two conspiracy based theories on the situation. For all we know, they could be working on a contract right now. But to me at least, this causes a lot of concern to see that we made a move for a guy who now, may never suit up as a Buffalo Bill.
                            Exactly the first thing that came to my mind when I heard the report. The Bills could not possibly be ok with this if it turns out that way?!

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

yeah.. i was just thinking the same thing.. a 6th in 2008, which is the same as a 7th in 2007.. and the 7th we got.. wow.. that is a pile of **** for TKO.. i dont really care about holcombe.. and neither do the eagles, as they will probably cut him after camp.

the front office really screwed the pooch on this one if they dont keep walker.
                              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
                              X