• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

VERY early analysis and predictions- and I'm done arguing

I've been wasting too much time arguing on this site, so I'm going to make a few comments, break the team down by position, predict our W/L record and then I'm done. I'll probably be posting in the other forums, but in here I'll mainly be lurking to keep up with Bills news and maybe making a non-controversial comment or two. But I'm done arguing threads out for 12 pages- it never resolves anything.

Some of you will dismiss my comments as pessimism because my conclusions will not be what you want to hear about our team. Believe me, I wish I could conclude differently, but given the information available at this time, these are the most accurate predictions in my opinion. Contrary to popular belief on here, I'm NOT negative just to be negative- I'm negative right now because I'm trying to be as accurate as possible with my predictions and expectations, and unfortunately things are not where most of us want them to be.

Frankly, I'm surprised at the reactions I get on here sometimes because I don't claim to have any superior football knowledge or inside information- most of what I say seems pretty obvious and I don't understand why so many people get upset about it.

And as Wys pointed out earlier, if the concerns of the so-called "pessimist" manifest themselves on the field, that person is actually a realist.

So, here goes:
    Offense:
    QB: Last year, Losman had high points and low points. The good news is that most of the low points were early in the season and most of the high points were later in the season (Baltimore being the notable exception), which shows improvement. If Losman can continue to protect the ball well, use his speed more, and improve on the short pass, he'll be fine. I'm really not too concerned about this position.

RB: Last year, Thomas and McGahee combined for 1378 yards. There is little reason to believe that Thomas and Lynch won't be able to combine for a hell of a lot more than that, especially with the improvements to the OL. I don't know what to think of Wright, but having him won't hurt. Barring injury, I think there is a really good chance we improved this position.

WR: Lee Evans is establishing himself as an elite WR. Beyond him, we have a bunch of #3's pretending to be #2's. The good news here is that we won't be WORSE than last year because it's the same guys, but if the OL gives JP time hopefully someone like Price or Reed will FINALLY step up.

TE: I'm not satisfied with this position at all, but the TE hasn't been used effectively in Buffalo for years so maybe we can get around it. And again, if the OL steps up, maybe someone can improve.

OL: Dockery alone makes this unit better. The right side is a little shaky with Preston, but there are a lot of young guys on this team (Merz, Butler, Pennington) who could step up if he or Walker falter. There is actually decent (albeit young) depth here. While this unit isn't perfect, it's improved and should allow us to make better use of our skill guys on O.

Overall, the OL should allow us to make better use of our offensive weapons and the offense, while it won't rival the Colts or the Pats, should be a lot more effective this year.

Defense:
    DL: Wow, what a cluster****. If Walker signs he'll make the rotation better and help in the pass rush, but won't really help the run. If Walker doesn't sign, then the only difference between last year's crap-tacular OL and this year's is McCargo. And he's coming off an injury and might not be ready to go. If there is one thing Bills fans agree on, it's that Tim Anderson blows and if he's still in the rotation, it's a REALLY bad sign. With Walker and McCargo, this unit is mildly improved- without one or both, it's virtually the same as last year: not good enough.

LB: We lost two starters. I like Poz but I have a feeling it will take him some time to adjust to the NFL and Fletcher's experience will be missed. We lost Spikes and the argument here is that he wasn't good enough last year. Well, what reason is there to believe his replacement is any better? Crowell is decent but not spectacular. I don't know why everyone here has a hard-on for Ellison, he wasn't bad, but he was on the field more because we had no one else then because he was so great. And we have no depth at all- if Haggan and Wire are so great, how come they couldn't even beat out Ellison or the supposedly bad Spikes to get on the field? If there is a good thing, it's that this unit is younger and faster. But the lack of experience and lack of depth make this unit very questionable.

CB: McGee has played one good year at CB out of 3. K Thomas is a 7 year vet with 0 career INT's. Youboty played 1 game at nickel. Now, Clements was overrated but he was still good. Youboty might end up being great, but it's COMPLETELY unrealistic to expect Youboty and/or K Thomas to step in for Clements with no noticable drop off in play, at least initially. Youboty might be better than Clements eventually, but he won't be on Week 1 of 2007.

S: Simpson and Whitner are fine, although Simpson was out of position a lot last year and needs to correct that. Wendling is a freakish athlete. The depth here is a little weak, but at least the starters are solid.

Some people are counting on a lot of improvement from the 2nd year guys. While chances are some will improve, it is unrealistic to think 1 year of experience amongst 5 guys is enough to compensate for the loss of 3 vet starters and turn the 28th ranked run D into a formidable unit.

ST: Roscoe Parrish needs to be smarter on punt returns. This unit should be solid and possibly dominant.

Coaching: Jauron had the team well prepared for games last year, but his in-game decision making needs to get better. He still has a lot to prove.

Sun. 9/9 DENVER BRONCOS L
    Sun. 9/16 @ Pittsburgh Steelers W
    Sun. 9/23 @ New England Patriots L
    Sun. 9/30 NEW YORK JETS CBS W
    Mon. 10/8 DALLAS COWBOYS ESPN L
    BYE 10/14 BYE BYE L (j/k)
    Sun. 10/21 BALTIMORE RAVENS L
    Sun. 10/28 @ New York Jets L
    Sun. 11/4 CINCINNATI BENGALS W
    Sun. 11/11 @ Miami Dolphins W
    Sun. 11/18 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS L
    Sun. 11/25 @ Jacksonville Jaguars L
    Sun. 12/2 @ Washington Redskins L
    Sun. 12/9 MIAMI DOLPHINS CBS W
    Sun. 12/16 @ Cleveland Browns W
    Sun. 12/23 NEW YORK GIANTS W
    Sun. 12/30 @ Philadelphia Eagles L

Best Bets: We beat the Dolphins in December, we drop 2 to the Patriots

So, I think it looks like another 7-9 year. There is some room for fluctuation in there- I could see us losing to the Steelers and/or Bengals, but I could also see us getting to play Philly's scrubs and winning in the last week of the season.

SUMMARY:

If JP can be consistent and the OL is improved, the offense will make better use of their weapons and be a better unit. When compared to last year, the OL got better and we didn't lose anyone of note, so no position is clearly worse.

On D, the youth and inexperience will show and this unit will struggle. Depending on what happens with McCargo and Walker and at the CB position, this unit could be downright awful again. CB and LB are worse, the DL (which was horrid) is unchanged from last year, and the Safeties are unchanged (which is fine- they weren't the problem).

ST should be fine.

Jauron still has a lot to prove.

7-9 record.

I'm not saying this is the only possible outcome. I'm saying that given the information we have at this time, I feel this is the most likely outcome for this season.

Feel free to tear this apart, but I won't be responding- I've said my piece and I've given the reasons for my opinions. I'm done getting in pointless, endless arguments on this board.

Did anyone actually read all that?
    Last edited by OpIv37; 05-26-2007, 09:25 PM.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Re: VERY early analysis and predictions- and I'm done arguing

11-5.

Home Wild Card.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

I read it all.

Nice post.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• raphael120
        Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37

Dude, I hope you're right about the Steelers game because I'm going to that game and I need payback from back in '05 where I brought all my Steeler fan friends up to Buffalo for the game where we lost to the Steelers scrubs and Willie Parker.

BTW, I always tell my Steelers fan friends that they're welcome for the Bills discovering Willie's talents. Haha.

But it will be friggin sweet if we win. Knock them off at their first home game. I'm gonna get my ass kicked! Hahaha.

GO BILLS!

BTW, Op...I know youre from DC too...but the Redskins are going to win that game? Are you kiddin me??? Their draft sucked! And I'm not convinced Jason Cambell is going to be that much better this season...maybe good enough to take advantage of our weak defense, maybe. Who knows...my uncles getting me tickets to this game too so i hope we win that one, because you and I both know how ignorant and obnoxious Redskins fans are....well..people from DC in general. Haha.

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

I've been wasting too much time arguing on this site, so I'm going to make a few comments, break the team down by position, predict our W/L record and then I'm done. I'll probably be posting in the other forums, but in here I'll mainly be lurking to keep up with Bills news and maybe making a non-controversial comment or two. But I'm done arguing threads out for 12 pages- it never resolves anything.

Some of you will dismiss my comments as pessimism because my conclusions will not be what you want to hear about our team. Believe me, I wish I could conclude differently, but given the information available at this time, these are the most accurate predictions in my opinion. Contrary to popular belief on here, I'm NOT negative just to be negative- I'm negative right now because I'm trying to be as accurate as possible with my predictions and expectations, and unfortunately things are not where most of us want them to be.

Frankly, I'm surprised at the reactions I get on here sometimes because I don't claim to have any superior football knowledge or inside information- most of what I say seems pretty obvious and I don't understand why so many people get upset about it.

And as Wys pointed out earlier, if the concerns of the so-called "pessimist" manifest themselves on the field manifest themselves on the field, that person is actually a realist.

So, here goes:
          Offense:
          QB: Last year, Losman had high points and low points. The good news is that most of the low points were early in the season and most of the high points were later in the season (Baltimore being the notable exception), which shows improvement. If Losman can continue to protect the ball well, use his speed more, and improve on the short pass, he'll be fine. I'm really not too concerned about this position.
          Agreed.. Even though Losman played like **** vs Baltimore, I was more impressed with him as a leader that game than any other. I think he grew up that game, and you can do that when you're playing badly.

RB: Last year, Thomas and McGahee combined for 1378 yards. There is little reason to believe that Thomas and Lynch won't be able to combine for a hell of a lot more than that, especially with the improvements to the OL. I don't know what to think of Wright, but having him won't hurt. Barring injury, I think there is a really good chance we improved this position.
          We will be improved here. I think Lynch is the real. He's great out of the backfield, Willis was not. Wright will be great in short-yard situations, Willis was not. Definite improvement here.

WR: Lee Evans is establishing himself as an elite WR. Beyond him, we have a bunch of #3's pretending to be #2's. The good news here is that we won't be WORSE than last year because it's the same guys, but if the OL gives JP time hopefully someone like Price or Reed will FINALLY step up.
          As a unit this is total junk. Evans is a Top 7 Wr. The rest would be lucky to have jobs on most decent teams in the NFL. Price makes two great plays all year and takes the other 14 games off. Reed is what he's been for 5 years. Parrish is too small and weak to play consistently.

TE: I'm not satisfied with this position at all, but the TE hasn't been used effectively in Buffalo for years so maybe we can get around it. And again, if the OL steps up, maybe someone can improve.
          Garbage; though used to it. Royal is horrible and he was VERY overated as a blocker last year.

OL: Dockery alone makes this unit better. The right side is a little shaky with Preston, but there are a lot of young guys on this team (Merz, Butler, Pennington) who could step up if he or Walker falter. There is actually decent (albeit young) depth here. While this unit isn't perfect, it's improved and should allow us to make better use of our skill guys on O.
          Dockery makes 60% of the OL very legit. I hate our RG situation, and Im not sold on Walker, I think he's going to be a bust. I wont call RT a bust though, because Pennington is going to get better.. I have a prediction, Pennington is starting again at RT by the bye week.

Overall, the OL should allow us to make better use of our offensive weapons and the offense, while it won't rival the Colts or the Pats, should be a lot more effective this year.
          Very valid comparision. I agree

Defense:
          DL: Wow, what a cluster****. If Walker signs he'll make the rotation better and help in the pass rush, but won't really help the run. If Walker doesn't sign, then the only difference between last year's crap-tacular OL and this year's is McCargo. And he's coming off an injury and might not be ready to go. If there is one thing Bills fans agree on, it's that Tim Anderson blows and if he's still in the rotation, it's a REALLY bad sign. With Walker and McCargo, this unit is mildly improved- without one or both, it's virtually the same as last year: not good enough.
          As a unit, one of the 5 worst in the NFL. Only Schobel saves them from being the very worst. EVERYONE on this unit is one-dimensional. They ALL can rush the passer, and not ONE of them is strong against the run.

LB: We lost two starters. I like Poz but I have a feeling it will take him some time to adjust to the NFL and Fletcher's experience will be missed. We lost Spikes and the argument here is that he wasn't good enough last year. Well, what reason is there to believe his replacement is any better? Crowell is decent but not spectacular. I don't know why everyone here has a hard-on for Ellison, he wasn't bad, but he was on the field more because we had no one else then because he was so great. And we have no depth at all- if Haggan and Wire are so great, how come they couldn't even beat out Ellison or the supposedly bad Spikes to get on the field? If there is a good thing, it's that this unit is younger and faster. But the lack of experience and lack of depth make this unit very questionable.
          I like this unit a lot, but NOT in 2007. POZ should become a legit good player. Crowell already is good.. Ellison is growing. By 2008 this should be a very good trio, and that is fine. They NEED to get real depth next year though. This spot will EVENTUALLY become a strength.

CB: McGee has played one good year at CB out of 3. K Thomas is a 7 year vet with 0 career INT's. Youboty played 1 game at nickel. Now, Clements was overrated but he was still good. Youboty might end up being great, but it's COMPLETELY unrealistic to expect Youboty and/or K Thomas to step in for Clements with no noticable drop off in play, at least initially. Youboty might be better than Clements eventually, but he won't be on Week 1 of 2007.
          Worst in the National Football League.. Period. McGee is "toast". Youboty has a TON to learn and is going to get schooled. THere is a reason why Kiwi has NEVER had an INT in the NFL. Jason Webster has been a bust for 4 years, dont see anything that will change that now. Total, absolute garbage and they'll get played like Nintendo all year long. Should've signed one of the Indy guys; Harper or David.

S: Simpson and Whitner are fine, although Simpson was out of position a lot last year and needs to correct that. Wendling is a freakish athlete. The depth here is a little weak, but at least the starters are solid.
          I like this unit. SImpson and Whitner will continue to grow, and Wendling is going to be a real good backup. SImpson has a lot to learn about pass zone coverage, but I expect him to improve. One of the few spots I dont think we worry about for the next few years.

Some people are counting on a lot of improvement from the 2nd year guys. While chances are some will improve, it is unrealistic to think 1 year of experience amongst 5 guys is enough to compensate for the loss of 3 vet starters and turn the 28th ranked run D into a formidable unit.

ST: Roscoe Parrish needs to be smarter on punt returns. This unit should be solid and possibly dominant.
          AGreed.. Losing Davis hurts, but Scobey is a good addition. I hope McGee still returns kicks.

Coaching: Jauron had the team well prepared for games last year, but his in-game decision making needs to get better. He still has a lot to prove.
          I don't like Jauron. I dont care if its year two or 22- he's a coach who will get a team to a certain level and hit a ceiling- ala Martyball. I look forward to his ouster, I dont care how unpopular that is. We got scared to hire a young, innovative coach because of the Williams, Mularkey failures. Can you imagine this offense with Sean Peyton or defense with Mangini? WE picked the wrong guy, period and I think this will be rectified in 1-2 years, watch.

Best Bets: We beat the Dolphins in December, we drop 2 to the Patriots

So, I think it looks like another 7-9 year. There is some room for fluctuation in there- I could see us losing to the Steelers and/or Bengals, but I could also see us getting to play Philly's scrubs and winning in the last week of the season.
          I think we go 5-11. The defense is too weak, I think and the offense still has enough questions.

SUMMARY:

If JP can be consistent and the OL is improved, the offense will make better use of their weapons and be a better unit. When compared to last year, the OL got better and we didn't lose anyone of note, so no position is clearly worse.

On D, the youth and inexperience will show and this unit will struggle. Depending on what happens with McCargo and Walker and at the CB position, this unit could be downright awful again. CB and LB are worse, the DL (which was horrid) is unchanged from last year, and the Safeties are unchanged (which is fine- they weren't the problem).

ST should be fine.

Jauron still has a lot to prove.

7-9 record.

I'm not saying this is the only possible outcome. I'm saying that given the information we have at this time, I feel this is the most likely outcome for this season.

Feel free to tear this apart, but I won't be responding- I've said my piece and I've given the reasons for my opinions. I'm done getting in pointless, endless arguments on this board.

I did read all that, responded to each of your topics (bold print inside your original); and here' my best peice of advice.

Stop communicating on the board with Justa.. He seems like a nice guy in "real life" but he's an instigator on here.

Every thread I see that has 3 pages or more on here, its because you and Justa go back and forth 40 times.

You'll NEVER get your point across to him, because he will ALWAYS make it into your a "whiner" thread; just like I cant keep my opinion and I change my mind everyday.

ALthough Homers as a whole generally annoy me at least the vast majority of them will argue the POINT with you to eternity. A VERY select few in here turn it into something personal EVERYTIME.. that you whine, you change your mind, blahblahblah... If you dont believe me, go back to any 20 threads you want that are more than 3 pages long, and see what Im talking about.. back and forth..You make your football point, he makes the whiner point.

SO my best advice for your own sanity is to use the ignore button.

Good post, btw.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by raphael120
            Dude, I hope you're right about the Steelers game because I'm going to that game and I need payback from back in '05 where I brought all my Steeler fan friends up to Buffalo for the game where we lost to the Steelers scrubs and Willie Parker.

BTW, I always tell my Steelers fan friends that they're welcome for the Bills discovering Willie's talents. Haha.

But it will be friggin sweet if we win. Knock them off at their first home game. I'm gonna get my ass kicked! Hahaha.

GO BILLS!

BTW, Op...I know youre from DC too...but the Redskins are going to win that game? Are you kiddin me??? Their draft sucked! And I'm not convinced Jason Cambell is going to be that much better this season...maybe good enough to take advantage of our weak defense, maybe. Who knows...my uncles getting me tickets to this game too so i hope we win that one, because you and I both know how ignorant and obnoxious Redskins fans are....well..people from DC in general. Haha.
            looking back, I probably should have switched the Steelers or the Bengals and the Skins.

I'm gonna try to get tix as well.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• BidsJr
              • Sep 2002

The post was mostly logical and I feel you will not see many disagree. Where most have issues is the tone of posting. I think even the most positive of posters will admit that a 7-9 record is possible, and would not be a huge disappointment. The post was well though out and well written.

Now from my perspective, I think the young guys will do a little better than you think they will. The veteren losses will affect the team a little less than you.

All in all you are closer to the homers, and the homers are closer to you than anyone wold like to admit.

Bottom line is that we ALL have a young team with good talent, and a lil bit of future. Some think we'll taste it this year, some think it will take a few.

P.S. Not sure what I am smoking, but this is the most liberal post I have ever typed in my life.
              "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• jmb1099
                • Sep 2004

well thought out post. Personally I'm excited about what should materialize on Offense and Special Teams. Our defense is very suspect looking at the moment.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                  Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                  • Jun 2005

Good posting OP. I agree with the TEs and CBs. I think the DL will be better. Starting LBs i feel fine with its the depth im worried about. 7-9 is realistic but I think we steal the PAts game at home and poss finish 8-8 maybe better depending on what happens. Fletcher I dont think will be a huge loss Spikes on the other hand I agree with you. Now with the additions to the O I think it will be a 100% better and exlosive.

Now Pat I see you picked 5 wins again and once again Ill tell you that bet is still open if you want to take it.

Comment

• Generalissimus Gibby
                    • Jun 2006

Sun. 9/9 DENVER BRONCOS (Cutler is vastly overrated and we will handle them) W
                    Sun. 9/16 @ Pittsburgh Steelers (they are going to be **** this year) W
                    Sun. 9/23 @ New England Patriots (we play close, and if we beat them it will be a major confidence booster but **** always happens to us in NE, why should this year be any different) L
                    Sun. 9/30 NEW YORK JETS CBS (we win big) W
                    Mon. 10/8 DALLAS COWBOYS ESPN (I think we win here) W
                    BYE 10/14
                    Sun. 10/21 BALTIMORE RAVENS (too much to prove and Willis ain't that good) W
                    Sun. 10/28 @ New York Jets (we haven't swept them in many years and it don't change this year) L
                    Sun. 11/4 CINCINNATI BENGALS (could be a shootout, we win) W
                    Sun. 11/11 @ Miami Dolphins (sweep) W
                    Sun. 11/18 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (we always get blown out by them at home) L
                    Sun. 12/2 @ Washington Redskins (money don't buy titles) W
                    Sun. 12/9 MIAMI DOLPHINS CBS (fish freeze) W
                    Sun. 12/16 @ Cleveland Browns (we are better than the dog pound) W
                    Sun. 12/23 NEW YORK GIANTS (Gints suck) W

11-5 playoff bound.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

Nope.

Betting on 5 wins constitutes I will only be rooting for the Bills to win 5 games.. I"d rather gamble at Hold em

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                        Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                        • Jun 2005

You dont have to root its just betting on what you say you think is going to happen.

Comment

• BidsJr
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                          Nope.

Betting on 5 wins constitutes I will only be rooting for the Bills to win 5 games.. I"d rather gamble at Hold em

I truely hope that yuo are not serious with this post.
                          "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                            Peterman Sucks!
                            • Mar 2006

So, here goes:
                            Offense:

QB- Agreed. After a year of development and showing improvement to close the season, minus the Baltimore game, which is a TOP defensive unit in the NFL, JP should continue to improve. Of course, he'll have a couple of bad days, he hasn't fully matured yet. Why we wasted a third rounder on a backup for this position still baffles me.

Agreed here too. McGahee was a one dimensional ballerina in the backfield. I think anyone on this board could have run for 990 yards over the course of the season. Improving on a guy who couldn't block and couldn't catch isn't too hard to conceive. My hopes/expectations on Lynch aren't as high as it seems some are on here, but him combined with the A-Train should combine for at least 1600 yards. And then Lynch will provide about 350-400 yards in the passing game.

Time for me to upset some people. I think our WR corps are a joke. Evans is a good player, yes, but look at his supporting cast. He has big numbers because he's the only talented WR among the group. Hell Kevin Johnson in Cleveland put up similiar numbers with just as vanilla of a supporting cast, and if he's still in the league I'd be shocked. No one takes into account that Evans has the numbers he has, because everyone else is just that bad. I'm sure this part will get me negged, but whatever.

To fully illustrate my point here...I'll compare both players 3rd season...
                            KJ - 84 catches 1097 yards 9 tds
                            Evans - 82 catches 1292 yards 8 tds

Second leading receiving on both teams 44 catches and 49...400 yards a piece.

I'm not sure why we bother even having a TE. Just line up an extra O-lineman. We barely use one in the receiving department, our TEs are terrible anyways, just give Pennington number 88 and have a 6 man OL.

Here is the second biggest improved unit on our team. Dockery is a solid addition. Peters will continue to grow and mature. Fowler played better than I anticipated, but outside of Langston Walker is the weakest link. Speaking of Langston, the Stadium already has turnstiles, they didn't cost 5 million dollars a year either. It wouldn't surprise me if Pennington beats him out in camp/preseason.

Agreed.

Defense:

If McCargo can stay healthy is the key phrase to our D-line. We can get after the passer, which is a plus, but for whatever reason these guys just aren't good against the run. If McCargo can be a force, we'll be somewhat improved here, especially in short yardage situations. The off tackle plays will still be there for offenses against us though. I'm too infuriated to comment on the Walker situation at the present time.

I agree and disagree at the same time on this one. Production wise, I don't think we're gonna see any regression. London made tackles 5-7 yards upfield, well without a stout front 4 against the run, Poz will make tackles 5-7 yards upfield. Now, the question is if Poz has 140 tackles, but most are 5-7 yards upfield, will people call him overrated or say he had a hell of a season? Trading Spikes away was a wise choice, as I've said before, I woulda straight out cut him last offseason if he didn't agree to a paycut. Crowell is a steady LB on the outside. And Ellison if he can perform at the same level as last year is serviceable.

McGee isn't suited to be a number 1 corner in this league, but he's thrust into the role because we have no alternatives. Some people harp on Youboty being a "first round" talent, so he was an excellent pick. He wasn't a first round pick, so he wasn't a first round talent, period. He was passed on by each team, including ours, at least twice, for a reason. We're now thrusting him into the number 2 role with literally NO experience. Kiwi Thomas is lucky this unit is so weak, because it's probably the only way he still has a job in this league. 0 INTs in 7 years? You can't get lucky once in 7 years? There's even DTs with INTs for christs sake. Greer is another guy lucky to be employeed. Jason Webster is the wild card here...if he plays like he did in SF he is good enough to be our 1...if he plays as poorly as he did in hotlanta, he's still good enough to be our 3. On the whole this unit is very weak on paper.

Whitner had a nice year, barring a sophmore slump, he should continue to progress into the leader of this defense. Bold statement there, huh? Simpson is a guy who could use some improvement, as OP pointed out, he was consistently out of position and missed some tackles.

Agreed. And no one takes into account the fact that some players do have sophmore slumps.

Special Teams are the strong point of this team, again.

Agree. And at times he didn't seem to make the proper half-time adjustments.

Apparently I did!

I commented in bold on most of the points.

Flame away.

Comment

I've been wasting too much time ...

Yeah, I did, and it's good to simply discuss football. I didn't know that actually happened here.

I'll comment on a few of your points. The ones I leave alone I likely agree with largely.

RB:

I'm not so sure about a "hell of a lot more yards" than the 1,368 that McG/AT got. Last year the median yards were just over 1,800 for teams, not players or combos of players. We had 1,552. I'll add in a couple hundred more, but not much more. That may even be optimistic. Thomas isn't anything special and Lynch will take his lumps. I have a lot more faith in Poz than I do in Lynch. Lynch's numbers vs. top-30 collegiate run Ds were not good. Wright never played any decent run Ds.

Let's face it, we open vs. a slate of teams better than we are. We will likely often be playing from behind limiting out options in that way. We also won't be able to stop the run, worse than last year, and our ToP will likely slip and allow opponents to run all game limiting the number of drives to the low end, thereby reducing opportunities for plays. As it stands, last season we already ran fewer plays than any other team. I just don't see that improving this year. Our ToP was third worst and I don't see that improving either due to our D which won't be able to get the oppponents' Os off the field.

Also, half of our games are against teams among the top-10 last season in run D.

WR:

This is at least somewhat of a catch-22. We really don't have great secondary receivers as everyone knows. But blocking also isn't great although likely at least somewhat improved this year, and Losman just doesn't have a great touch on the short balls. So it all feeds into the problem of a poor short-medium game, which is the vast majority of passes in any given game.

OL:

Langston Walker's the same kind of bust that Gandy, Smith, Anderson, and a host of others were except that he's bent the organization over a table first. He has been unable to impress anyone in five seasons and last year was a disaster for him. Just like Tripplett, what, sixth time's a charm? I don't think so.

Dockery is good, but he's absolutely nothing special in pass blocking. Not bad, but not superlative though. He's a move-the-pile blocker through and through. So any improvements may be marginal.

DL:

I disagree that with McCargo and Walker the DL is improved. Walker is merely more of the same as what we've had, crap. So what, he had six sacks last year. 3 were against Bledsoe in a sackfest. 1 on Romo, 1 on Eli Manning, and 1 on Gradkowski. So what. He's a poor man's Tripplett and Tripplett in five season, actually four or fewer, has only proven that he's more backup than starter.

McCargo only showed that he was a waste of two draft picks in trade up in the limited time he was on the field. He showed less than most day-two picks do. Besides, his collegiate "accolades" do not match the talk on him. Since his freshman season at NC St. he's posted one sack on UNC's QB Jeff Baker I think his name is. He went undrafted.

CB:

Thomas may be better than you think although I wouldn't lay a lot of scratch on it. He's played very well and posted decent numbers although he's never started. Therein lies the rub. How will he perform when he starts? He's also not good vs. the run, well below average there.

S:

I actually think that Whitner was out of position at least as often as Simpson.

ST:

Our STs have not at all been a problem in recent years. We could have not addressed that at all this offseason and it still would have been way above average there. It has carried this sorry team for several seasons now.

Coaching:

We were either dead last or so close to last in so many statistical categories last year that IMO this should be a do-or-die year for Jauron. If he can't move this team ahead by at least an average of 5 points across the board in all the stat cats that I evaluated before and after the season, then we simply need a new coach. The guy's posted six losing seasons in seven. One more would make seven in eight. Only Levy would have made that hire.

Of our first 11 games, 10 are against teams better than we are. Wins will be few and far between. I can easily see us starting 1-7 or 0-8. Our most winable games are the Jets at home and maybe Dallas on MNF. Both were playoff teams last season.

Summary:

Should be a very interesting season on many counts.

Comment

Working...
                              X