PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Year = Most Improvement

patmoran2006
05-28-2007, 12:30 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/614/story/119986.html

Article is about Miami LB Zack Thomas, talking about how in a player's third season is when you usually see the most improvement.

Piss on Miami and what he thinks.

However, he's also right. It's very common around the league that the third year is usually when you see the best of a player's talents. If the player doesnt get it by year three, odds say strongly that he's hit his ceiling and what you see is what you get (Reed, Kelsay, Denney, Wire)

Anyway, going by this long-proven theory. There are a lot of Bills starting right now in year two, and next year (2008) is when we will HOPEFULLY see them really start to sign.

Defensively: You're looking at Donte WHitner, Ko Simpson, Ashton Youboty, Keith Ellison, John McCargo and Kyle Williams. That's more than half the starting defense that will be in season three in 2008. Offensively you got guys like Merz and Butler.

As you can see; this is CLEARLY a 2008-built football team. So please get the playoffs thoughts out of your head.

This team will struggle again in 2007. And that's fine; as long as these year two guys grow more AND Wilson makes a couple of impact moves next offseason.

HHURRICANE
05-28-2007, 12:36 PM
I always heard it was the second year actually. Matter-of-fact I've watched enough ball games over the years that it's kind of drilled in my head.

YardRat
05-28-2007, 01:09 PM
The most improvement may be between years one and two (of course I've heard that ad nauseum also) but I think the writer is correct in that whether or not they continue to improve (though not as much) between two and three is the confirmation whether or not they're going to be 'players'.

venis2k1
05-28-2007, 01:13 PM
the point is right, levy is setting us up for a big year in 08. add a FA LB, and CB. maybe a threat at #2 wr, and if all goes well, our young core will be coming together and ready for a good playoff run in 08. the only thing that worries me is our dline. im not sold on our DTs.

ZacGriffi~82
05-28-2007, 01:14 PM
That doesn't sound like much fun.

jmb1099
05-28-2007, 03:46 PM
While I appreciate the insigts regarding player development, I will keep the playoff hope alive until we are eliminated. Thanks for telling me how to think though.

http://www.miamiherald.com/614/story/119986.html

Article is about Miami LB Zack Thomas, talking about how in a player's third season is when you usually see the most improvement.

Piss on Miami and what he thinks.

However, he's also right. It's very common around the league that the third year is usually when you see the best of a player's talents. If the player doesnt get it by year three, odds say strongly that he's hit his ceiling and what you see is what you get (Reed, Kelsay, Denney, Wire)

Anyway, going by this long-proven theory. There are a lot of Bills starting right now in year two, and next year (2008) is when we will HOPEFULLY see them really start to sign.

Defensively: You're looking at Donte WHitner, Ko Simpson, Ashton Youboty, Keith Ellison, John McCargo and Kyle Williams. That's more than half the starting defense that will be in season three in 2008. Offensively you got guys like Merz and Butler.

As you can see; this is CLEARLY a 2008-built football team. So please get the playoffs thoughts out of your head.

This team will struggle again in 2007. And that's fine; as long as these year two guys grow more AND Wilson makes a couple of impact moves next offseason.

patmoran2006
05-28-2007, 07:22 PM
While I appreciate the insigts regarding player development, I will keep the playoff hope alive until we are eliminated. Thanks for telling me how to think though.
Not a problem, pal.

Goobylal
05-28-2007, 11:03 PM
I'd say it depends. If a player can stay in the same system for his 1st 2 years, I think you see more improvement between year 1 and 2. But since that's not always the case, seeing improvement between years 2 and 3 happens more often than you'd like, and shows a player can play in ANY system.

BillsOwnAll
05-29-2007, 12:29 AM
But also...most players dont Start there rookie season...whinter and spimpson did...so i mean they have one more year of PLAYING expeicrnce then most guys entering there third year

Tinboy
05-29-2007, 02:28 AM
2005 1st round draft:

Sel# Team Player Pos. School
1 San Francisco Alex Smith QB Utah
2 Miami Ronnie Brown RB Auburn
3 Cleveland Braylon Edwards WR Michigan
4 Chicago Cedric Benson RB Texas
5 Tampa Bay Carnell Williams RB Auburn
6 Tennessee Adam Jones CB West Virginia
7 Minnesota Troy Williamson WR South Carolina
8 Arizona Antrel Rolle CB Miami
9 Washington Carlos Rogers CB Auburn
10 Detroit Mike Williams WR Southern California
11 Dallas DeMarcus Ware OLB Troy
12 San Diego Shawne Merriman OLB Maryland
13 New Orleans Jammal Brown T Oklahoma
14 Carolina Thomas Davis OLB Georgia
15 Kansas City Derrick Johnson OLB Texas
16 Houston Travis Johnson DT Florida State
17 Cincinnati David Pollack OLB Georgia
18 Minnesota Erasmus James DE Wisconsin
19 St. Louis Alex Barron T Florida State
20 Dallas Marcus Spears DE Louisiana State
21 Jacksonville Matt Jones WR Arkansas
22 Baltimore Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma
23 Oakland Fabian Washington CB Nebraska
24 Green Bay Aaron Rodgers QB California
25 Washington Jason Campbell QB Auburn
26 Seattle Chris Spencer C Mississippi
27 Atlanta Roddy White WR Ala.-Birmingham
28 San Diego Luis Castillo DE Northwestern
29 Indianapolis Marlin Jackson CB Michigan
30 Pittsburgh Heath Miller TE Virginia
31 Philadelphia Mike Patterson DT Southern California
32 New England Logan Mankins G Fresno State

The first four players have been dazling us so far, perhaps this is the year?

Pinkerton Security
05-29-2007, 06:34 AM
2005 1st round draft:

Did you really mean HAVE been? bc i would say have NOT been. i think they are all solid players.

Tinboy
05-29-2007, 06:47 AM
I was sarcastic sorry if that did come across :)

patmoran2006
05-29-2007, 06:49 AM
I was sarcastic sorry if that did come across :)
Just hope our first round pick in 2 years becomes as effective as the draft class you mentioned.

patmoran2006
05-29-2007, 06:55 AM
2005 1st round draft:

That list hammers home the point even more.

Of that first round list, going into year three only Jammal Brown and Merriman are already proven Pro Bowl performers.

But there are a ton of good players that coming into year three could take that leap and by year's end should have a good idea of what kind of career they'll have. Guys like Alex Smth, ROnnie Brown, Cadillac Wiliams, and Antrell Roelle.

Even outside the "Blue Chip" Top 10-- there are players that have been decent/good and this should be a telling year if they'll become Pro Bowl calibre: guys like Ware and Spears (Dallas), and Derrick Johnson.

Some guys take three years and then "bust" out- Cedric Benson, Troy Williamson, MIke Williams.

The Bills dont really have many key "third year players'.

Next year is the most important year.

ublinkwescore
05-29-2007, 07:16 AM
I always heard it was the second year actually. Matter-of-fact I've watched enough ball games over the years that it's kind of drilled in my head.

Last year was Lee Evans' third year, but I expect him - no, make that know he's gonna have an even better season because they're gonna throw the whole playbook out there for JP. Last season was just the beginning - notice the second half of last season that Lee was good for a TD against no matter who we played?

See Baltimore - I think he scored against Tenn. and he gave us our only points against the bears as well.

You can't stop him and JP only hope to contain them.

I can't wait to see Lynch in action with these guys too.

TacklingDummy
05-29-2007, 07:30 AM
See Baltimore

Can we count of defensive backs falling down every game?

Chris23
05-29-2007, 08:09 AM
It will be thier 2nd ******!

Chris23
05-29-2007, 08:13 AM
Maybe next time you make a thread you will do your research, Parrish, Everett, Preston will be in thier 3rd year.

patmoran2006
05-29-2007, 08:15 AM
It will be thier 2nd ******!
Before you call someone a ******.. Why don't you grab a reading comprehension class at ECC or something.

Do you want to go back and re-read my statement. It won't "thier" 2nd year. 2008 will be "thier" 3rd year.
========================================================

Originally Posted by patmoran2006

patmoran2006
05-29-2007, 08:17 AM
Maybe next time you make a thread you will do your research, Parrish, Everett, Preston will be in thier 3rd year.
Dude.. are you serious? DO you even know what year it is? This is 2007.

I said in 2008 , its pretty EASY to see

Pinkerton Security
05-29-2007, 08:22 AM
Before you call someone a ******.. Why don't you grab a reading comprehension class at ECC or something.

Do you want to go back and re-read my statement. It won't "thier" 2nd year. 2008 will be "thier" 3rd year.
========================================================

Originally Posted by patmoran2006

:lmao:

Bling
05-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Good post, pat. I'm thinking the same way.