PDA

View Full Version : "DT situation still a mess in Buffalo"

Mad Bomber
05-29-2007, 06:35 AM
According to Connor Byrne at Realfootball365.com:

As of now, things aren't looking up for the Bills when it comes to stopping the run. That was the defense's downfall last year, and it could be yet again in 2007. Although it's early, Buffalo's fans have to be concerned about McCargo's constant foot problems and Walker's lack of desire to report to the team.
If things don't work out with Walker and McCargo, the Bills would be forced to utilize a four-man tackle rotation that includes Tripplett, Williams, Jason Jefferson (10 career games) and Tim Anderson (widely considered a liability). That quartet won't strike fear into any opposing offense.
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/05/dt_situation_still_a_mess_in_b.html

patmoran2006
05-29-2007, 06:40 AM
That's totally obvious.

we may very well have the worst DT rotation in the entire NFL if McCargo doesnt make a positive impact.

Hence why I said last week that he's the second most important player on the team this year, behind only Losman.

OpIv37
05-29-2007, 08:08 AM
you know, recently I've complained a lot about people defending some of the mediocre guys on this team- the one exception seems to be Tim Anderson. If there is anything that's pretty much universal on this board, it's that Tim Anderson blows

Bash Coy Wire or Josh Reed, and you'll get a two page thread of people defending them.

Bash Tim Anderson, and you get three pages of positive reputation.

I can't wait until we unload him because he's definitely one of those "addition by subtraction" guys.

HHURRICANE
05-29-2007, 08:27 AM
Jason Jefferson and Tim Anderson on the field. Yep, sounds really good to me.

The Bills D is like a house of cards. If the DL suck our secondary is either going to get lit up or we'll have a rookie and a second year player trying to play stop gap an entire game.

Mad Bomber
05-29-2007, 09:08 AM
you know, recently I've complained a lot about people defending some of the mediocre guys on this team- the one exception seems to be Tim Anderson. If there is anything that's pretty much universal on this board, it's that Tim Anderson blows

Bash Coy Wire or Josh Reed, and you'll get a two page thread of people defending them.

Bash Tim Anderson, and you get three pages of positive reputation.

I can't wait until we unload him because he's definitely one of those "addition by subtraction" guys.
:posrep:

patmoran2006
05-29-2007, 09:28 AM
Considering how often Marv talked, especially his first year about the importance of the lines.

I am absolutely SHOCKED we did nothing to address DT this offseason. It doesnt take a mastermind to figure out we're simply not good enough on the DL, yet we dont sign a FA or draft a single linemen? All we do in the Levy era is bring back the same people (Kelsay, Hargrove, Anderson, Denney) that are the epitomy of the weakness of this defense.

Unless you want to count a botched trade for a backup DT that Philly didn't want (Walker) as making a "move" this offseason.

alohabillsfan
05-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Considering how often Marv talked, especially his first year about the importance of the lines.

I am absolutely SHOCKED we did nothing to address DT this offseason. It doesnt take a mastermind to figure out we're simply not good enough on the DL, yet we dont sign a FA or draft a single linemen? All we do in the Levy era is bring back the same people (Kelsay, Hargrove, Anderson, Denney) that are the epitomy of the weakness of this defense.

Unless you want to count a botched trade for a backup DT that Philly didn't want (Walker) as making a "move" this offseason.

Uh, Pat (1) we drafted a DE, (2) We drafted 2 ( McCargo/Williams) DT's last year and Marv also signed a DT (Triplett) in FA last off season! (3) We traded for Hardgrove. (4) We signed 3 O-Linemen (Dockery, Walker, Whittle) in FA this season and drafted 3 (Pennington, Butler, Merz) last year. So, what do you want Marv to do? If he drafts a DT round 1 are you screaming, WTF? Remember, someone once started a thread that the big jump is at year 3 so we are only 1 more year away! research, research, research!

HHURRICANE
05-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Uh, Pat (1) we drafted a DE, (2) We drafted 2 ( McCargo/Williams) DT's last year and Marv also signed a DT (Triplett) in FA last off season! (3) We traded for Hardgrove. (4) We signed 3 O-Linemen (Dockery, Walker, Whittle) in FA this season and drafted 3 (Pennington, Butler, Merz) last year. So, what do you want Marv to do? If he drafts a DT round 1 are you screaming, WTF? Remember, someone once started a thread that the big jump is at year 3 so we are only 1 more year away! research, research, research!

I have to say that I agree with most of this. You can only fill so many holes. If we want to ***** it should be the fact that TD wasted a 3rd rounder on Anderson.

We are paying for ****ty drafts and bad decisions from the TD regime. To say that we have a crappy DL when this is what we inherited is kind of unfair to the current administartion.

However, it doesn't mean I like it either.

mysticsoto
05-29-2007, 11:19 AM
I have to say that I agree with most of this. You can only fill so many holes. If we want to ***** it should be the fact that TD wasted a 3rd rounder on Anderson.

We are paying for ****ty drafts and bad decisions from the TD regime. To say that we have a crappy DL when this is what we inherited is kind of unfair to the current administartion.

However, it doesn't mean I like it either.

TD would not be the only one to blame. Krumrie liked Tim Anderson alot - for some reason. Of course, now the style of defense that we are using is not conducive to Tim Anderson's talents at all. Anderson has no speed and is not good for chasing. They say he's strong, but I've never seen him shed tackles - atleast not on a consistent basis. So the fact that he's a good wrestler (for which Krumrie like him for) was a personal choice and bias on behalf of Krumrie and not indicative of his ability to grow in a good DT at all. Definitely a bad choice by TD, but I ultimately blame Krumrie, since it was likely his input that led TD to draft him!

DraftBoy
05-29-2007, 12:07 PM
TD would not be the only one to blame. Krumrie liked Tim Anderson alot - for some reason. Of course, now the style of defense that we are using is not conducive to Tim Anderson's talents at all. Anderson has no speed and is not good for chasing. They say he's strong, but I've never seen him shed tackles - atleast not on a consistent basis. So the fact that he's a good wrestler (for which Krumrie like him for) was a personal choice and bias on behalf of Krumrie and not indicative of his ability to grow in a good DT at all. Definitely a bad choice by TD, but I ultimately blame Krumrie, since it was likely his input that led TD to draft him!

Tim Anderson has talent? Coulda fooled me

Earthquake Enyart
05-29-2007, 12:16 PM
Think where we'd be if we didn't stumble onto Kyle Williams.

raphael120
05-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Well the homers's favorite demi-god, Marv, is responsible for our STARTING DT's right now...so if this experiment leads to further demise this season, I think it's time to say, thanks for the good ol' times Marv...but you just aint cuttin it as a GM.

FlyingDutchman
05-29-2007, 01:15 PM
Would everyone rather we have injury proned Ron Edwards who had like 2 good games in his career here. Sam Adams was a hell of a player for us at times, but his attitude wasnt ideal, and niether is his age. If Mccargo hadnt gotten injured and continued to improve, we probably wouldnt be having this convo. Especailly with Williams coming on, we'd be excited about a young nasty DT core. Marv was supposedly trying to deal Clements for Mcfarland from Tampa, and so far got Darwin Walker. I think hes putting in the effort, just things arent exactly coming out as planned.

feelthepain
05-29-2007, 01:19 PM

Yeah, but you drafted a QB on the first day to sit behind JP Losman all year, that should help...right??

FlyingDutchman
05-29-2007, 01:25 PM
We also cant forget that this will practically be Mccargos rookie year

mysticsoto
05-29-2007, 01:49 PM
Tim Anderson has talent? Coulda fooled me

Perhaps "style" would have been a better word - "...not conducive to Tim Anderson's style..."

OpIv37
05-29-2007, 01:51 PM
I think hes putting in the effort, just things arent exactly coming out as planned.

effort is nice. Results would be better.

DraftBoy
05-29-2007, 02:06 PM
Perhaps "style" would have been a better word - "...not conducive to Tim Anderson's style..."

much better then again, the only system that is conductive to Timmy style would be one that has his ass with a bus ticket back to Ohio.

PECKERWOOD
05-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Hopefully we work something out with Walker soon. If Walker does show up at 1 Bills Drive this year, I feel like we are pretty set at DT. McCargo backed up by Kyle Williams and Darwin Walker backed up by Larry Tripplett would be a pretty nasty tandem.

patmoran2006
05-29-2007, 02:32 PM
Hopefully we work something out with Walker soon. If Walker does show up at 1 Bills Drive this year, I feel like we are pretty set at DT. McCargo backed up by Kyle Williams and Darwin Walker backed up by Larry Tripplett would be a pretty nasty tandem.
Nasty like a Mike Tyson knockout punch (in his prime)??

Or Nasty as in you finally make your score with the chick you been waiting to get with, and as her draws come down you start to notice a foul odor, nasty?

Jan Reimers
05-29-2007, 02:55 PM
And they would all be guys Marv brought in in the last 2 years, so it's ridiculous for some to blame him for not addressing the DT position.

Earthquake Enyart
05-29-2007, 03:17 PM
There are a few other places than DT to be worried about.

Kyle Williams is a player, Tripplet is serviceable, and if McCargo can play we'll be ok.

THATHURMANATOR
05-29-2007, 03:40 PM
There are a few other places than DT to be worried about.

Kyle Williams is a player, Tripplet is serviceable, and if McCargo can play we'll be ok.
CB for one.

FlyingDutchman
05-29-2007, 03:42 PM
effort is nice. Results would be better.

agreed. not to make excuses but he cant forsee McCargo a 1st rounder getting hurt so early. He drafted a good DT in williams, signed Tripplett and tried with Darwin Walker. Thats 4 DTs in 1 1/2 years of being GM and at least he brought in that cry baby Wright for at least a look. My point being its not like hes ignoring the situation, hes making an effort, just not every move he makes is gonna be a home run, we gotta deal with it sometimes.

Earthquake Enyart
05-29-2007, 03:49 PM
CB for one.
LB, 2nd WR, TE

:::

DraftBoy
05-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Nasty like a Mike Tyson knockout punch (in his prime)??

Or Nasty as in you finally make your score with the chick you been waiting to get with, and as her draws come down you start to notice a foul odor, nasty?

ewww......:candle:

B-DON
05-29-2007, 06:27 PM
Does real365 just read our boards and then make up some article. It seems like every article they write, 90% of us bills fans agree with it. Seems fishy to me.

Carlton Bailey
05-29-2007, 07:06 PM
Does real365 just read our boards and then make up some article. It seems like every article they write, 90% of us bills fans agree with it. Seems fishy to me.

Um, how is it fishy to say the DTs suck? They do suck.

Carlton Bailey
05-29-2007, 07:22 PM
"Anderson is serviceable, but will probably only ever be a probowler at best...not a superstar."

LOL

Bill Brasky
05-29-2007, 07:26 PM
The Bills should put The_Answer and ICE740892309483 on the DL. That would solve a lot of life's problems. They would annoy the other team's OL so bad they'd quit and move to Tulsa.

Philagape
05-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Anderson is serviceable, but will probably only ever be a probowler at best...not a superstar.

http://captain.custard.org/league/graphics/characters/bizarro.jpg

B-DON
05-29-2007, 10:01 PM
Um, how is it fishy to say the DTs suck? They do suck.

It's not just this article genius

Mad Bomber
05-30-2007, 06:34 AM
Anderson is serviceable, but will probably only ever be a probowler at best...not a superstar.
:rofl:
Thank you. That's your best one yet. I needed some humor to start my day.:up:

Earthquake Enyart
05-30-2007, 08:52 AM
I find it somewhat humorous that people are so quick to dismiss McCargo's first round grade, yet blindly give third rounder Youboty a pass with his first round grade.