X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

JP or Eli in 2007?

This was written for a fantasy site. But the only part really dealing with fantasy football is at the end. The rest is comparing the two QBs since they entered the league and where they stand now in their progression:

Schauf: Manning or Losman in 2007?
    By Matt Schauf
    PFS Football

Back in 2004, plenty of people probably looked at the first quarterback taken and figured Eli Manning would be a stud -- or at least a very good player -- sooner than later. He had the pedigree, the talent, the same college coach his brother had learned under at Tennessee. On the flipside, the fourth and final quarterback taken in that first round must have elicited a collective "Who?" when he went to Buffalo. Supporters of J.P. Losman compared his style to that of Brett Favre, while detractors and neutral viewers could merely chuckle at the comparison. After three seasons, though, I think it's at least arguable which young passer will be the better fantasy (and real) quarterback in 2007.

Manning was the golden boy right from the start. He went to Archie's alma mater. He garnered Peyton's draft slot. He finagled his way from San Diego to the Big Apple with a John Elway-like "I don't wanna play there" decree. He stepped into a seemingly favorable situation with recent league MVP Kurt Warner to serve as starter and teacher until Manning was ready. That point came in the middle of his rookie year, when Manning took over a 5-4 team after consecutive losses and went 1-6 in seven starts the rest of the way.

You can't really blame Manning, though, for the team's rocky finish or his lackluster numbers that year: 48.2 completion percentage, six touchdowns, nine interceptions. A rookie quarterback is bound to struggle at least a little bit, and he gave particular reason for hope among Giants fans by posting QB ratings of more than 100 in two of the final three games.

The next year he started the whole way and looked like a solid young pro quarterback. He had some very productive outings, some other solid ones and a few terrible ones, finishing with a solid 24-17 TD-INT ratio but an unimpressive 52.8 completion percentage. Still, his continued development and the Giants' division title (despite a total team meltdown against Carolina in the playoffs, including three picks for Manning) gave more reason for hope.

Then came 2006 and a stall in Manning's progression. He upped his QB rating by just 1.1 points to 77.0 (19th among guys with at least eight starts) and he threw one more interception than the previous season in 35 fewer pass attempts. He did toss 24 touchdown passes again, which tied him for fourth in the league, but he had just four games with a QB rating of more than 90.0 compared with nine games at less than 80.0. He nearly balanced out his seven multi-TD games—just two of which came in the final 10 with six multi-INT games. He reached 300 yards passing just once (in the second game) while failing to reach 200 yards nine times.

At the same time, and about a seven-hour drive away, Losman joined the Bills behind Drew Bledsoe and promptly lost nearly his entire rookie season to a broken leg in training camp. Whatever he showed in late-season practices and his five in-game pass attempts, however, were enough for the Bills to release Bledsoe and go into 2005 with Losman under center and Kelly Holcomb as his backup.

Even though he had officially been in the league for a year already, Losman was essentially a rookie in 2005 and played like it. His 49.6 completion percentage was quite similar to that from Manning's rookie year, and he rode some streaky play (good and bad) to an 8-8 TD-INT ratio in eight starts and nine games total. Any natural new-guy shakiness that Losman might have produced that year anyway was only heightened by being jerked in and out of the lineup by the coaching staff, which also helped create a locker-room rift over who should be starting.

A year later, Losman had new coaches, a full-time gig and a QB rating (84.9) almost eight points ahead of Manning's. Losman certainly wouldn't have been mistaken for excellent, but he did produce two more games with a 90-plus rating than Manning, two fewer multi-INT games, one more 300-yard game and just 193 fewer passing yards for the season in nearly 100 fewer attempts. On top of that disparity, compare the supporting casts: Losman was sacked more often than all but two quarterbacks in 2006 (Jon Kitna and Marc Bulger) and had few receiving options beyond Lee Evans. Buffalo's second-leading receiver was Peerless Price with 49 catches (behind Evans' 82), followed by Josh "Hands of Stone" Reed (34), injury-marred rookie Roscoe Parrish (23) and new tight end Robert Royal (23). Manning, by comparison, was the 17th most-sacked quarterback and had the pleasure of throwing balls to Plaxico Burress (63 receptions), Jeremy Shockey (66), Tiki Barber (58) and Amani Toomer (32 in eight games).

Given all that, at this point I'd have to say that Losman appears to be playing better, maybe significantly so. Unfortunately, although the Bills brought in two big-money free agents on the offensive line, his fantasy value could still be mitigated by an unimpressive group of receivers. Rookie running back Marshawn Lynch should offer more in the passing game than Willis McGahee, but unless a young wideout or two surprises, it looks like pretty much the same cast of pass catchers (and droppers).

Manning might still have slightly more fantasy scoring potential because of his teammates, but he'll have to show me quite a bit before I'd feel good about drafting him as my starter. Both look like later-round backups to me, but Manning will probably still get overdrafted, making Losman a better value at his level.
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: JP or Eli in 2007?

I have a feeling that when their careers are all said and done, Losman will be a better QB than Manning (Eli, not Peyton).
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

Dont know who I"d take right now.

But its certainly a cross-roads year for both guys

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
        Legendary Zoner
        • Jul 2002

If either of these guys is starting in your fantasy league, I want in.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
          Pinkerton's son
          • Feb 2006

YA! I love it. Manning is overrated, Losman is better than eli, all the things we all know. Those numbers they gave are very telling IMO. Eli is OK, but (WATCH OUT, homer point coming through) I'd rather have JP than most QB's in the league at this point, NOT including Brady, Peyton, Brees, and Palmer.

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Coach Sal
            his fantasy value could still be mitigated by an unimpressive group of receivers. Rookie running back Marshawn Lynch should offer more in the passing game than Willis McGahee, but unless a young wideout or two surprises, it looks like pretty much the same cast of pass catchers (and droppers).
            I hope a replacement for Gutless can be identified at the #2 WR position.

The above comment cannot be applied to Evans, who might be the best player on the Bills and is a legit star. I have no problem with Josh Reed in the #3 slot position. The RB's,H-Backs/TE's should have more catches as Fairchild gains more confidence in calling plays, which comes with adding better talent. I still say the weak link is Price and little else at WR.

It's up to Losman to improve on his reads of Safties/LB's over the middle and of CB's on the out patterns. He has all the natural ability in the world but needs to continue to advance between the earholes. If not, we just drafted his replacement.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• HHURRICANE
              • Mar 2005

I said last year that Losman was better than Eli. I think he is, but that might not be saying much.

I believe that Eli played behind a much better line and a had little better quality at the RB position.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
                • May 2005

I've always believed that Eli was mostly hype based on his last name... Certainly he can be a pretty good QB in this league, but I think he has a much more limited potential then J.P. does. You put both these guys on the same team with the same situations around them hypothetically of course, and I would be willing to bet J.P. would have more success.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Jul 2002

As far as fantasy goes, keep an eye on how well the Giants run the ball without Tiki in the preseason. Eli may have to throw more if they can't run the ball and he may get better fantasy numbers.

But even in a 12 team league, both these guys are backups.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
                    I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
                    As far as fantasy goes, keep an eye on how well the Giants run the ball without Tiki in the preseason. Eli may have to throw more if they can't run the ball and he may get better fantasy numbers.

But even in a 12 team league, both these guys are backups.
                    Out of curiousity, who do you put in front of them??? Obviously I can name a few... Peyton, Palmer, McNabb, Favre, Brees, Brady... but guys like Roethlesberger and Delhomme had shaky years at best last year. So give me the top 12 you're talking about.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by BlackMetalNinja
                      Out of curiousity, who do you put in front of them??? Obviously I can name a few... Peyton, Palmer, McNabb, Favre, Brees, Brady... but guys like Roethlesberger and Delhomme had shaky years at best last year. So give me the top 12 you're talking about.
                      Peyton
                      Palmer
                      McNab
                      Farve
                      Brees
                      Brady

Also:
                      Leinart (for fantasy football yes)
                      Cutler
                      Romo
                      Rivers
                      Bulger
                      Vince Young (will score with his feet)

Right there with them:
                      Pennington
                      ALex Smith
                      Hasselbeck

For Fantasy Football, anyway

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                        Pinkerton's son
                        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                        Peyton
                        Palmer
                        McNab
                        Farve
                        Brees
                        Brady

Also:
                        Cutler
                        Romo
                        Rivers
                        Bulger

Right there with them:
                        Pennington
                        ALex Smith
                        Hasselbeck

I agree with most of those, except for Cutler. I really dont know about him, i think he is about level with JP Fantasy wise as of right now. I'd replace Cutler in your list with JP.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Jul 2002

I would throw in Kitna, McNair, and the dog killer too.

Comment

• Devin
                            The Octagon
                            • Apr 2003

Cutler may end up being the best QB out of that draft in the long term.
                            http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Talk0fNewYork
                              ~ I Can't Feel My Face ~
                              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                              Peyton
                              Palmer
                              McNab
                              Farve
                              Brees
                              Brady

Also:
                              Cutler
                              Romo
                              Rivers
                              Bulger

Right there with them:
                              Pennington
                              ALex Smith
                              Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck is a top 7 qb in this league! Hands Down!

Comment

Working...
                              X