PDA

View Full Version : Name Your Sleeper for 2007

patmoran2006
05-29-2007, 09:22 AM
Since every homer on this board will say the Buffalo Bills, they're not allowed to be discussed.

So outside of Buffalo, what team do you look at that's going to surprise a lot of teams in 2007 and become a good team? Or I should say, at least have a good record.

Im not going to say SF because that's the obvious choice.

Im going to go with a team that everyone figures will blow.

Minnesota

I think Adrian Peterson is going to have a monster season as a rookie. Sidney Rice and Aundrae Allison make the WR unit much better. And Minnesota still has a formidable defense, especially up the middle with Pat and Kevin Williams. If they get ANYTHING from the QB position, they can be good. The NFC North as a whole is weak too.

alohabillsfan
05-29-2007, 09:29 AM
Define sleeper team? A team that was not in the playoffs last year?

Jersey1031
05-29-2007, 09:29 AM
Arizona

Romes
05-29-2007, 09:31 AM
not sure if it counts as a sleeper, but I bet the steelers bounce back from an average year last year.

alohabillsfan
05-29-2007, 09:32 AM
Since every homer on this board will say the Buffalo Bills, they're not allowed to be discussed.

So outside of Buffalo, what team do you look at that's going to surprise a lot of teams in 2007 and become a good team? Or I should say, at least have a good record.

Minnesota

I think Adrian Peterson is going to have a monster season as a rookie. Sidney Rice and Aundrae Allison make the WR unit much better. And Minnesota still has a formidable defense, especially up the middle with Pat and Kevin Williams. If they get ANYTHING from the QB position, they can be good. The NFC North as a whole is weak too.

The trouble will be getting production from a QB with 4 games experiance and 3 rookies? Come on Pat, your smarter than that!

alohabillsfan
05-29-2007, 09:34 AM
I will go with Denver, not much of a sleeper at 9-7 last season but they were not in the playoffs!

Romes
05-29-2007, 09:35 AM
btw, before I read the thread I was gonna say Bills :homer:

:D

Michael82
05-29-2007, 09:37 AM

Minnesota

:rofl: Did you see who they got starting at QB in Minnesota? Tavaris Jackson!

It's going to be a long season for the Vikings, IMO.

gr8slayer
05-29-2007, 09:39 AM
Adrian Peterson will be looking for work in three years when they realize they should have drafted Lynch.

Devin
05-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Dont hate on Jackson, kid has a lot of potential. They also drafted a top tier RB and what some people are saying is the best WR in the draft not named Calvin Johnson.

Id go with either Minny or 'Zona as well.

Pinkerton Security
05-29-2007, 10:19 AM
How about this real reach: the Raiders. Maybe Russell can pull a VY and rally his offense???? I know its out there, but their D is real solid for having been put under so much pressure last year, and who knows??? Also, Mike Williams is still a talented guy that they picked up, maybe he can turn it around, plus they got Johnny Lee Higgins and Michael Bush, as well as Zach Miller in the draft. Kiffin has to put a lot together to get a successful season, but they are on the rise (they couldnt get much lower after last year)

Pinkerton Security
05-29-2007, 10:20 AM
btw im not predicting them as a sleeper for the super bowl, but they may make some waves.

ublinkwescore
05-29-2007, 10:32 AM
Carolina will bounce back.

dannyek71
05-29-2007, 10:38 AM
browns

madness
05-29-2007, 10:43 AM
SF is no longer considered a sleeper. I agree with pinkdogg32, Raiders will surprise a lot of people this year as they pound the ball towards an 8-8 (+/- 1) record.

Jeff1220
05-29-2007, 10:44 AM
I like 49ers and Zona too, but to add something to this conversation, let's say:
The Jets
I know they made the playoffs last year, but I don't think they were as strong as their record indicated, and they haven't been a media darling. They made some very good moves this offseason to add to an already slightly above average team.

Pinkerton Security
05-29-2007, 10:49 AM
I like 49ers and Zona too, but to add something to this conversation, let's say:
The Jets
I know they made the playoffs last year, but I don't think they were as strong as their record indicated, and they haven't been a media darling. They made some very good moves this offseason to add to an already slightly above average team.

I do agree about the jets, but if they are already a media dalring, they're not much of a "sleeper", are they?

Talk0fNewYork
05-29-2007, 10:54 AM
Detroit

Earthquake Enyart
05-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Green Bay because they play the Lions and Vikings twice.

FlyingDutchman
05-29-2007, 10:57 AM
Arizona

same here

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-29-2007, 11:06 AM
I agree with the Carolina bouncing back.

venis2k1
05-29-2007, 11:12 AM
i know im gonna get alot of groans for this but...miami.

mikemac2001
05-29-2007, 11:14 AM
green bay

Tatonka
05-29-2007, 11:17 AM
i think carolina will be much much better than last year.. i think that deangelo williams will be strong as a starter at rb.. and delhomme cant play worse.. i think it was just a bad year for them.. they will be back.

Jeff1220
05-29-2007, 11:31 AM
I do agree about the jets, but if they are already a media dalring, they're not much of a "sleeper", are they?

I said "haven't"

Pinkerton Security
05-29-2007, 11:37 AM
:oops:
I said "haven't"

OTher than the fact that they got quite a bit of press for the stupid Mangini - Belicock feud, they didnt get much attention i guess.

Jeff1220
05-29-2007, 11:45 AM
:oops:

OTher than the fact that they got quite a bit of press for the stupid Mangini - Belicock feud, they didnt get much attention i guess.

Right. Obviously, they are a NYC team, so any chance they get, the media will be all over them, but they really don't have very many "name" players. We know them well because they're in the AFCE, but I'd bet the average NFL fan (of a team outside the AFCE) couldn't name anyone on the Jets outside of Pennington and maybe Vilma and Coles.

DraftBoy
05-29-2007, 11:50 AM
Jets, Browns, Phins, Raiders, Lions, 49ers, Vikes should all be improved.

I think the Browns are the surprise team though.

Also all you haters of Tavarous Jackson are going to be wishing we took him in a couple of years. Kid has all world talent and he's going to put on a show starting this year. Devin is completely on the money.

jdbillsfan
05-29-2007, 12:24 PM
I will say the Rams. They picked up Drew Bennett and Randy McMichael to an already strong offense.

Bulger, Jackson, Holt, Bruce, Bennett and McMichael. If they can get some production out of their D, I think they can win their division.

eyedog
05-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Detroit. They will score alot of points this year. Over 6 wins in vegas is $$$$.

Michael82
05-29-2007, 01:06 PM
I will say the Rams. They picked up Drew Bennett and Randy McMichael to an already strong offense.

Bulger, Jackson, Holt, Bruce, Bennett and McMichael. If they can get some production out of their D, I think they can win their division.
Good one! I could definitely see them lighting it up this year. :up:

The Spaz
05-29-2007, 01:22 PM
Buffalo Bills.:up:

Mr. Miyagi
05-29-2007, 01:27 PM

I'm with you. I'll go with St. Louis.

Night Train
05-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Hamilton Ti-Cats

Go Tim Chang !

mysticsoto
05-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Jets, Browns, Phins, Raiders, Lions, 49ers, Vikes should all be improved.

I think the Browns are the surprise team though.

Also all you haters of Tavarous Jackson are going to be wishing we took him in a couple of years. Kid has all world talent and he's going to put on a show starting this year. Devin is completely on the money.

I think the Browns, Arizona and 49ers will be the most improved...though the Raiders will look much better (it's hard to look worse).

MikeInRoch
05-29-2007, 01:51 PM
i know im gonna get alot of groans for this but...miami.

The certainly played like they were asleep last season...

User Manuel
05-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Oakland Raiders

patmoran2006
05-29-2007, 02:23 PM
I agree Carolina should be really good this year.

But I wouldnt call them a sleeper team.. I think they're expected to contend this year. I think the same goes SF this year as well.

Im talking like a team that comes out of nowhere unexpected; like say the Jets or Saints did last year.

I think Minnesota can be that team this year in the NFC.

In the AFC, Im going with Houston as a possible sleeper.

THey SHOULD be improved with Schaub at Qb. They finally got a decent RB in Ahman Green. Johnson is one of the better WR in football.

Defensively, they got Okoye now upfront with Mario Williams, and DeMarco Ryans was great last year. I also like Kubiak a lot as coach.

They got still got a lot of holes; but maybe they are the sleeper this year.

Michael82
05-29-2007, 02:30 PM
I agree Carolina should be really good this year.

But I wouldnt call them a sleeper team.. I think they're expected to contend this year. I think the same goes SF this year as well.

Im talking like a team that comes out of nowhere unexpected; like say the Jets or Saints did last year.

I think Minnesota can be that team this year in the NFC.

In the AFC, Im going with Houston as a possible sleeper.

THey SHOULD be improved with Schaub at Qb. They finally got a decent RB in Ahman Green. Johnson is one of the better WR in football.

Defensively, they got Okoye now upfront with Mario Williams, and DeMarco Ryans was great last year. I also like Kubiak a lot as coach.

They got still got a lot of holes; but maybe they are the sleeper this year.
it's killing you, isn't it? After looking at all the teams that can be the Jets or Saints of this year....the Bills are one of the biggest sleepers in the league! :D

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-29-2007, 02:33 PM

I don't know about that one, they could have the worst defense in the league.

patmoran2006
05-29-2007, 02:36 PM
it's killing you, isn't it? After looking at all the teams that can be the Jets or Saints of this year....the Bills are one of the biggest sleepers in the league! :D
If you want to count 5-6 wins as being a sleeper, then be my guest.

This team is TOO YOUNG and NOT TALENTED enough in a couple of key spots to sleep on anyone.

They won 7 games last year, its not like we were 3-13... If they make the playoffs this year, then ya they are the sleeper. But I dont see that happening.

Progression of Losman, our young defenders and a SOLID offseason next year by Levy could put Buffalo in that role for 2008; but it ain't happening this year.

Michael82
05-29-2007, 02:41 PM

This team is TOO YOUNG and NOT TALENTED enough in a couple of key spots to sleep on anyone.

They won 7 games last year, its not like we were 3-13... If they make the playoffs this year, then ya they are the sleeper. But I dont see that happening.

Progression of Losman, our young defenders and a SOLID offseason next year by Levy could put Buffalo in that role for 2008; but it ain't happening this year.
I guess we'll see. When you think of the definition of a sleeper team, most of them were ones that weren't expected to be in the playoffs and weren't even expected to have a good season. Hell, some of them were looking like they were going to get a top 10 draft pick. And a sleeper team is someone who is usually young and has a lot of potential. That's the Bills IMO! I know it sounds like a homer thing to say, but I could definitely see the team surprising everyone. It all depends on what happens with JP Losman and our offense, and if he can do what we all think he's close to doing...then watch out! Our offense might be scary. As for our defense, with how young and inexperienced it is, it is definitely a sleeper.

Michael82
05-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Okay, now my sleeper team that isn't the Bills would be the Detroit Lions. I don't know why....but I think that Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams is going to be the best WR combo in the league and he will help them win a couple extra games himself. I also like some of their defensive guys and they have a very good KR/PR in Drummond.

madness
05-29-2007, 02:59 PM
I know it sounds like a homer thing to say, but I could definitely see the team surprising everyone.

Homer82 added to sig.

Earthquake Enyart
05-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Okay, now my sleeper team that isn't the Bills would be the Detroit Lions. I don't know why....but I think that Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams is going to be the best WR combo in the league and he will help them win a couple extra games himself. I also like some of their defensive guys and they have a very good KR/PR in Drummond.
People said that when they drafted Rogers and Mike Williams too.

jdbillsfan
05-29-2007, 03:06 PM
I don't know about that one, they could have the worst defense in the league.

Guess we will see. I think they have a decent d-line with Little, Glover, J. Hall, Carriker, Wroten, Kennedy, so who knows.

They will be in the same system for two years. Their offense should make the D look better.

I don't think the Colts have a great D and look what they did.

seanbillsfan
05-29-2007, 08:11 PM
If Oakland can tweak their o-line they will have a great team. Mike Williams should improve in that offense. Their d was amazing last year, they beat pitt with absolutly no help from the offense.

HHURRICANE
05-29-2007, 08:17 PM
SAN FRANSISCO. I'LL BET MONEY ON IT!!!

Mr. Cynical
05-30-2007, 01:45 AM
Trent Edwards. Probably start from game 9 on.

:;

evol4276
05-30-2007, 01:49 AM
i dunno if sf wuld actually be the typical choice. id say from the draft maybe the browns wuld have more leaning towards them than sf. however, i still feel sf is looked down upon when they shouldn't be. gore is the man. smith has looked a lot better from his previous 1 td 11 int season a year before. Plus with davis, plus some key fa aquisitions, i believe they can become the sleeper. sry to go with the others patty

evol4276
05-30-2007, 01:55 AM

lets see.. coming into the season last year.. the Saints had a great rookie rb for the slot wr/special rb role. they had a good qb (which turned out great eventually by years end.) they had a one KNOWN great wr. They had a great DE. Their CBs kinda sucked if i remember correctly. So, who does this sound like coming into this year? While im not saying Lynch compares to Bush and Losman compares to Brees, there seems to be an equal chance for us to suceed this year like the Saints did. We may even have a few rookie breakouts like them this year too. If we're lucky of course. So no, I do not count us out of the sleeper role, cuz I feel we're stronger this year than last. And this is coming from a major pessimist.

Michael82
05-30-2007, 08:01 AM
lets see.. coming into the season last year.. the Saints had a great rookie rb for the slot wr/special rb role. they had a good qb (which turned out great eventually by years end.) they had a one KNOWN great wr. They had a great DE. Their CBs kinda sucked if i remember correctly. So, who does this sound like coming into this year? While im not saying Lynch compares to Bush and Losman compares to Brees, there seems to be an equal chance for us to suceed this year like the Saints did. We may even have a few rookie breakouts like them this year too. If we're lucky of course. So no, I do not count us out of the sleeper role, cuz I feel we're stronger this year than last. And this is coming from a major pessimist.
:bf1:

gr8slayer
05-30-2007, 08:16 AM
Good posting but also consider the Conference the Saints are in.

madness
05-30-2007, 08:24 AM
The Jets are my dark horse pick to go to the superbowl in the AFC since they are my favorite team.

I also think that Green Bay and Tennesee are threats to make deep playoff runs...man I wish we had Vince Young instead of Chad Pennington! Could you picture him throwing the ball to L. Coles?!!

*Edited to make more sense.

feelthepain
05-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Miami.

alohabillsfan
05-30-2007, 11:26 AM

If it does will you go back to your day job!

alohabillsfan
05-30-2007, 11:32 AM

And you were so close last year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

08-30-2006, 08:18 AM Fork Reply (w/Quote)
patmoran2006
Junior Journalist

Re: Your prediction for the Bills 2006 Season - What will the record be?

4-12

Pinkerton Security
05-30-2007, 12:16 PM
The Jets are my dark horse pick to go to the superbowl in the AFC.

I also think that Green Bay and Tennesee are threats to make deep playoff runs...man I wish we had Vince Young! Could you picture him throwing the ball to Lee Evans?!!

No, i cant imagine VY throwing to lee evans, i CAN see him running a lot though! And i know it "works", and he "wins games with his feet", but i'd still rather have JP bc i believe he will be able to beat teams with his arm and Lynch will kill them with his feet.