PDA

View Full Version : Andrei Markov gets 4 year contract at $6 mil per yer...

Ebenezer
05-29-2007, 11:02 PM
I think the price for Souray, Drury and Briere just went up...

LABillsFan
05-29-2007, 11:26 PM
I thought I heard Souray was a pain in the butt

Michael82
05-30-2007, 12:42 AM
Oh God...we might be looking at $8 million a piece for both Drury and Briere.... :ill:

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-30-2007, 07:05 AM
:nervous:

tampabay25690
05-30-2007, 07:37 AM
Oh God...we might be looking at $8 million a piece for both Drury and Briere.... :ill:

Well thats the Sabres front office for you. LAst year they should have locked both guys up for long term contracts. NOW look what will happen....

Michael82
05-30-2007, 07:59 AM
Well thats the Sabres front office for you. LAst year they should have locked both guys up for long term contracts. NOW look what will happen....
EXACTLY! I hate their free agent rule! I have no clue why they don't like to work on contracts early. Maybe it makes too much sense for Darcy. :ill:

Dr. Lecter
05-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Time to panic and over-react!

I doubt Drury would have extended his deal last year.

Philagape
05-30-2007, 08:29 AM
Sullivan's column suggests the reason the Sabres didn't negotiate during the season is "Maybe it was because they had no intention of keeping both." It would be unwise to favor one over the other during the season.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/87206.html

Michael82
05-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Sullivan's column suggests the reason the Sabres didn't negotiate during the season is "Maybe it was because they had no intention of keeping both." It would be unwise to favor one over the other during the season.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/87206.html
I could see that as the truth.

SabreEleven
05-30-2007, 09:12 AM
We are going back the the prestrike era already. Teams won't even be able afford to go to the salary cap any more and the cap is justing going to keep going up every year. Losing that whole year was a big waste of time. The refereeing is already pre-strike standard.

Michael82
05-30-2007, 10:20 AM
We are going back the the prestrike era already. Teams won't even be able afford to go to the salary cap any more and the cap is justing going to keep going up every year. Losing that whole year was a big waste of time. The refereeing is already pre-strike standard.
good point. But tell me the truth...did you really expect anything different? :ill: The NHL will never learn.

ddaryl
05-30-2007, 11:32 AM
at least all teams are bound by the same salary cap.

If a 1/3 of the league can't afford to pay players up to the cap limit then the league has a problem. But as long as all teams are on equal footing all teams will have to release over paid vets which then will make them available to the the rest of the league at a fraction simply do to the amount of money left in team cap budgets.

I guess the million dollar question is ... How many teams cannot afford the salary cap ?

Ebenezer
05-30-2007, 12:03 PM
at least all teams are bound by the same salary cap.

If a 1/3 of the league can't afford to pay players up to the cap limit then the league has a problem. But as long as all teams are on equal footing all teams will have to release over paid vets which then will make them available to the the rest of the league at a fraction simply do to the amount of money left in team cap budgets.

I guess the million dollar question is ... How many teams cannot afford the salary cap ?
according to Galisano (radio interview, no link) 11 teams lost money last season and more will lose money this year.

Michael82
05-30-2007, 12:29 PM
according to Galisano (radio interview, no link) 11 teams lost money last season and more will lose money this year.
:rofl: Wow! They definitely didn't learn.

ddaryl
05-30-2007, 12:31 PM

unbelievable....

the league is heading right back to wear it was then.

Michael82
05-30-2007, 01:48 PM
unbelievable....

by 2010 or so, they will probably go bankrupt again..... :ill:

Ebenezer
05-30-2007, 02:07 PM
unbelievable....

he didn't site any reasons but I would bet the lack of a TV contract and the arbitrators awards had something to do with it...once they saw how much the awards were for the offense all of a sudden started disappearing.

JD
05-30-2007, 07:39 PM
I pray to god someone in the NFL sees a possibility in the NHL and buy them. Imagine how easy it would be for the NHL to gain popularity. The NFL could have partial deals for the NFL and NHL with all of their sponsors. Bottom line is Bettman has to go.

Ebenezer
05-30-2007, 08:34 PM
I pray to god someone in the NFL sees a possibility in the NHL and buy them. Imagine how easy it would be for the NHL to gain popularity. The NFL could have partial deals for the NFL and NHL with all of their sponsors. Bottom line is Bettman has to go.
it has nothing to do with Bettman. Before Bettman hockey was basically unknown south of the Mason-Dixon...it still is for the most part. It is a hard game to watch on TV and unless you grow up watching/playing it you never get the feel for the game - same problem as soccer. The NHL also doesn't even know its own image. Why leave fighting in the game? Why leave head shots in the game? But they want more scoring..but they don't want more scoring...until the league finds out what it wants nobody else will...the big key?? there are too many teams..