• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mad Bomber
    • Jul 2002

"Bills pass on height"

From Mark Gaughan in the Buffalo News:

“I’ve never been a guy who cares that much about the size,” Bills offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild said. “I’d rather have a guy who can separate — and those guys come in all shapes and sizes. If a guy can separate and run, he’ll find a way to get open.”
    The Bills have the smallest receiving corps in the NFL. Each of their top four receivers is under 6 feet tall. Lee Evans is 5-foot-10. Peerless Price is 5-11. Josh Reed is 5-10. Roscoe Parrish is 5-9.
    No other team in the league listed each of its top four wideouts as under 6 feet last year. Only one other team — Pittsburgh — had its top three receivers under 6 feet. There were only eight other teams besides Buffalo that had at least two of their top three wideouts under 6 feet.

The whole story:
  • Mad Bomber
    • Jul 2002

Re: "Bills pass on height"

Fairchild came to Buffalo from a system — in St. Louis — that did not put a big priority on tall receivers. The Rams won a Super Bowl in the ’99 season with three smaller receivers. Torry Holt is 6-0. Isaac Bruce was measured at 5-11z before the draft but the Rams’ roster lists him at 6-0. And the third wideout that year, Az- Zahir Hakim, is 5-10.
    Pittsburgh won the Super Bowl two years ago with three smaller wideouts — Hines Ward (5-11z), Antwan Randle El (5-10) and Cedric Wilson (5-10). (Ward is listed at 6-0 despite his shorter measurement at the combine workouts before the ’98 draft.)

Comment

• alohabillsfan
      • Sep 2003

Could not agree more....

Jacksonville has one of the tallest receiving corps in the league and they get bashed for not getting open...

Reggie Williams 6"4" (picked before Evans, #9 overall) 2006 52 rec 616 yds 4 tds
      Matt Jones 6'6" (picked in the first round) 2006 41 rec 643 yds 4 tds
      Ernest Wilford 6'4" (4th rounder) 36 rec 524 yds 2 tds

Lee Evans 5' 10" 1st rd 2006 82 rec 1292 yds 8 tds
      Peerless Price 5' 11' 49 rec 402 yds 3 tds
      Josh Reed 5' 10" 34 rec 410 yds 2 tds

Comment

• jamze132
        Don’t hate…
        • Jun 2003

I don't want to say size is overrated, but it isn't really necessary if you have reveivers that can get seperation and get open, just like Fairchild said. It makes sense to me.

But on the otherhand, it is nice to have someone like 6'4 that can jump in the corner of the endzone on a fade.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
          • Mar 2005

Read the article. It's a total ball of contradictions:

1)"Andre Reed and Eric Moulds, the Bills’ two best receivers ever, both were 6-2."

2) “Obviously when you get in the red zone area, maybe having a bigger guy can help you then if you want to throw fade routes,”

3) Fairchild came to Buffalo from a system — in St. Louis — that did not put a big priority on tall receivers. The Rams won a Super Bowl in the ’99 season with three smaller receivers. Torry Holt is 6-0. Isaac Bruce was measured at 5-11z before the draft but the Rams’ roster lists him at 6-0. And the third wideout that year, Az- Zahir Hakim, is 5-10.

Sorry, but I'm not buying the crap they are slinging. Put Roscoe into the mix and it's even worse. The Rams "3 small receivers" were all bigger than ours.

I like feel good stories but don't think for a momnet that a good 6' 3", #2 receiver, doesn't help this team. To act like we are so lucky not have one is ridiculous.

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

Here is this years Martin Nance type WR, competing for a roster spot. 6-3 210.

Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• madness
              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
              Read the article. It's a total ball of contradictions:
              The Bills’ coaches and scouts have nothing against big receivers.
              1)"Andre Reed and Eric Moulds, the Bills’ two best receivers ever, both were 6-2."

Tolbert acknowledges that height can be a plus for receivers inside the 20-yard line.
              2) “Obviously when you get in the red zone area, maybe having a bigger guy can help you then if you want to throw fade routes,”

3) Fairchild came to Buffalo from a system — in St. Louis — that did not put a big priority on tall receivers. The Rams won a Super Bowl in the ’99 season with three smaller receivers. Torry Holt is 6-0. Isaac Bruce was measured at 5-11z before the draft but the Rams’ roster lists him at 6-0. And the third wideout that year, Az- Zahir Hakim, is 5-10.
              Pittsburgh won the Super Bowl two years ago with three smaller wideouts — Hines Ward (5-11z), Antwan Randle El (5-10) and Cedric Wilson (5-10). (Ward is listed at 6-0 despite his shorter measurement at the combine workouts before the ’98 draft.)

Sorry, but I'm not buying the crap they are slinging. Put Roscoe into the mix and it's even worse. The Rams "3 small receivers" were all bigger than ours.

I like feel good stories but don't think for a momnet that a good 6' 3", #2 receiver, doesn't help this team. To act like we are so lucky not have one is ridiculous.
              I'm not buying the crap you're slinging. Of course it's contradictory when you edit out the points you want just to prove 'your' point. I never read anywhere in the article that the Bills feel they are lucky to have small receivers. All they said was that it wasn't a necessity. Don't trash an article because it doesn't satisfy your want for a big receiver on this roster. I'm pretty sure all of us including the staff would love to have a big receive with talent enough to be a #2.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                Legendary Zoner
                • Jul 2002

Holy Grail.

Height is more important for a CB than a WR.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by madness
                  I'm not buying the crap you're slinging. Of course it's contradictory when you edit out the points you want just to prove 'your' point. I never read anywhere in the article that the Bills feel they are lucky to have small receivers. All they said was that it wasn't a necessity. Don't trash an article because it doesn't satisfy your want for a big receiver on this roster. I'm pretty sure all of us including the staff would love to have a big receive with talent enough to be a #2.
                  The quotes are exact. I didn't edit them.

As far as I'm concerned the article didn't need to be written because what's the point? Can you answer that?

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by madness
                    i was just going to post the same thing.. good job madness.
                    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

As far as I'm concerned the article didn't need to be written because what's the point? Can you answer that?
                      you used the quotes out of context to make them look like they didnt make sense.. when you add back the surrounding context like madness did, it shows clearly how different the statement reads when you dont edit the **** out of it.
                      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
                        • Jul 2002

you tell me if using the exact same quote without the context around it makes any difference.

1. "the little boy said to the bully, "go **** yourself"."

2. "go **** yourself"

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                          • Jul 2003

I think the most important factor for a WR is ability to separate and catch the ball. Plenty of the successful receivers in the NFL are smaller (Steve Smith and Santana Moss come to mind).

That said, if there was a receiver like Larry Fitzgerald or Roy Williams was available a team wouldn't pass on them because they are too tall.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Tatonka
                            you used the quotes out of context to make them look like they didnt make sense.. when you add back the surrounding context like madness did, it shows clearly how different the statement reads when you dont edit the **** out of it.
                            I did it for brevity. However I have no problem with you using the quotes that Madness used in their enitirity.

So, again, what was the point of the article?

Comment

• madness
                              • Apr 2003

Yes I can. The same reason why any article needs to be written. A person wanted to transpose his thoughts to "paper".

As for the point of the article...

Size doesn't matter unless it's in the bedroom.

Comment

Working...
                              X