PDA

View Full Version : Walker's Rights Can Go Back to the Eagles

gil
05-30-2007, 02:18 PM
I had no idea that this could happen - it would seem to me that he would do this if he truly has this option available to him:

WALKER CHOICE I HADN'T THOUGHT OF: In going over the possible options that Darwin Walker has in his contract squabble, I admit I never thought about him waiting for his rights to revert back to the Eagles in the hopes that they cut him. If he's as resolute as some fear he is about getting paid more money then he'll likely hold out past the Aug. 5 deadline so his rights revert back to the Eagles and hope they just release him. That would make him a free agent and he could negotiate a new contract with whatever team might be interested. There's always a market for quality defensive tackles. The Bills are protected as I mentioned in the form of a 6th round pick.
Worst case at least we still get a pick, but what a turn of events that would be.

http://www.buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

madness
05-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Anybody know what the cap hit(if any) was if we released Spikes and Holcomb outright?

Mr. Miyagi
05-30-2007, 02:25 PM
The deal was Spikes and Holcomb for Walker and a 6th. How exactly are we protected if the rights to Walker just reverted back to the Eagles and we're left with nothing but a 6th?

If it boils down to Takeo for a 6th, we got ripped off. :mad:

Michael82
05-30-2007, 02:27 PM
The deal was Spikes and Holcomb for Walker and a 6th. How exactly are we protected if the rights to Walker just reverted back to the Eagles and we're left with nothing but a 6th?

If it boils down to Takeo for a 6th, we got ripped off. :mad:
6th and 7th. :::

Mr. Miyagi
05-30-2007, 02:30 PM
6th and 7th. :::
Nothing conditional at all?

Michael82
05-30-2007, 02:33 PM
Nothing conditional at all?
the 6th is conditional. If Walker doesn't sign with the Bills...we get that pick and the 7th. If he does...we get Walker and a 7th.

Ickybaluky
05-30-2007, 02:48 PM
Anybody know what the cap hit(if any) was if we released Spikes and Holcomb outright?

The same as trading them. The only difference is if the Bills decided to designate them as post-June 1 cuts (which they can do and still release them right away), in which case they can spread the cap hit over 2 seasons.

raphael120
05-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Don't forget, Holcomb actually brought down the value of the trade, so thats why we only got the 6th and 7th. If it was just for Spikes, we couldve got at least a fourth! :laugh:

Mr. Miyagi
05-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Don't forget, Holcomb actually brought down the value of the trade, so thats why we only got the 6th and 7th. If it was just for Spikes, we couldve got at least a fourth! :laugh:
Holcomb was a throw-in, from the Eagles. :ill:

justasportsfan
05-30-2007, 03:09 PM
He goes back to the eagles and we'll use that 6th + Tim Anderson and cap space to grab Jenkins. Problem solved.

OpIv37
05-30-2007, 03:15 PM
The same as trading them. The only difference is if the Bills decided to designate them as post-June 1 cuts (which they can do and still release them right away), in which case they can spread the cap hit over 2 seasons.

how do you figure? If you trade someone, don't you also trade their contracts to the new team? If the Bills cut them outright, I believe they would only be responsible for any amortized signing bonuses.

kybillsfan
05-30-2007, 04:05 PM
We need Walker. Make him happy as long as its reasonable and get him in here. Surely Marv and company knew he wanted a bigger contract so take care of it, unless like I said its unreasonable.

casdhf
05-30-2007, 05:24 PM
how do you figure? If you trade someone, don't you also trade their contracts to the new team? If the Bills cut them outright, I believe they would only be responsible for any amortized signing bonuses. You trade their salary, you still eat the signing bonus.

HHURRICANE
05-30-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm so prepared for this guy not becoming a Bill which will totally suck.

Maybe we can draft another Iya-got-deja-vu in the 6th round of the 2008 draft.

gr8slayer
05-30-2007, 08:37 PM
Honestly if he wants to be a **** then I say let his fat ass go. The last thing we need with a team this young is to have a ***** for a veteran setting a bad example for the youth. One person doesn't make a team, we will still go on without him.

Ickybaluky
05-31-2007, 07:58 AM
You trade their salary, you still eat the signing bonus.

What he said.

Teams are responsible for monies already paid, so any signing bonus amortized into the future accelerates and hits the cap right away if the player is traded. The team that trades for the player only assumes what the player is to be paid from the date of the trade going forward.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
05-31-2007, 10:41 AM
Honestly if he wants to be a **** then I say let his fat ass go. The last thing we need with a team this young is to have a ***** for a veteran setting a bad example for the youth. One person doesn't make a team, we will still go on without him.

ABSOLUTELY!

madness
05-31-2007, 12:37 PM

I think he shows up for mandatory camp. Once he gets there and sees the atmosphere Marv and Dick has instilled, I'm sure his attitude will change for the better. If he was already in contract negotiations with the Eagles as they say, then the Bills definitely knew what they were getting into.

It seriously aggravates me that this is happening to the point I want to say screw him but we are so much better with him on this roster. I really hope everything works out for both sides.