• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madness
    • Apr 2003

Day Six OTA Notes

Leonhard steps in
    With Whitner sidelined by a tight hamstring Jim Leonhard stepped in at the starting strong safety position. Leonhard is regarded as one of the more mentally astute players on the roster and knows the responsibilities of both safety positions equally well.

Leonhard has also been part of the team's first nickel defense as he slides in at a safety position while Whitner mans the slot.

The Wisconsin product benefited from the extra reps Wednesday as he wrestled an interception away from Peerless Price in the end zone in 7-on-7 red zone work.

Webster moved up
    As the vacant right cornerback job waits for a player to effectively stake a claim to it in training camp, the defensive staff continues to rotate players in at the position with the first unit. Veteran Jason Webster was plugged in at the starting right cornerback spot Wednesday, initially in the nickel package with Ashton Youboty being worked in the slot.

Webster wasn't tested much however, which to an extent was an indication of his coverage ability.

Lynch has burst
    In addition to solid hands Marshawn Lynch continues to show a good burst coming out of the backfield and when making cuts. Lynch, who has split out wide a lot during the OTA sessions realizes there's a bit more on his plate than the average rookie in terms of assignments.

"The knowledge I have to gather as far as being back there in the backfield and then splitting out at receiver is more than I've had in the past," said Lynch. "I just have to take a greater focus with it."

• madness
    • Apr 2003

Re: Day Six OTA Notes

7-on-7
    Most of the 7-on-7 play took place in the red zone and again the defense really had some good coverage plays. In fact on the first play of 7-on-7 Terrence McGee looked to be playing trail technique and slid inside of Peerless Price to come away with an interception inside the five-yard line. Losman put a bit too much air under the ball and it gave time for McGee to react.
    It was an up and down series for Losman. He threw a pass low and incomplete to Lee Evans and then wisely threw a ball away when there was solid coverage. On the next play the Bills quarterback hit Morgan over the middle for a touchdown, but then he was intercepted by Leonhard.
    Craig Nall rotated in and completed his first three passes. Losman, however, came back in and was sharper hitting six straight passes including touchdowns on his last two throws to Jemalle Cornelius and Price.
    Trent Edwards finished up the drill and performed well completing all three passes including two for touchdowns both to Robert Royal.
    Walker still absent
    Defensive tackle Darwin Walker has not been in for any of the voluntary workouts. He has until Aug. 5 to report to the team otherwise his rights revert back to the Philadelphia Eagles and the Bills would receive a 2008 sixth-round pick.

Comment

• casdhf
      • Jul 2002

I appreciate the update, Maddness
      Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
      cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Nice.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...