PDA

View Full Version : A Question for NE39

patmoran2006
05-30-2007, 05:55 PM
I have a serious question- this is not a dig or a sarcastic thread.

I want to know they answer because I'm absolutely fascincated how New England was able to pull this off.

My question is..
How did the Patriots manage to sign/trade ALL of these guys:
Randy Moss
Donte Stallworth
Wes Welker
Kelly Washington
Adalius Thomas
Sammy Morris

When they entered FA with significantly LESS cap room than BUffalo? How were they able to do these contracts, because it seems to this is one of the best offseasons I've ever seen a team have in my life.

On top of that, they franchised and still hold the rights to Assante Samuel, a top 5 corner in this league.

Have they totally MORTGAGED the future by getting all these guys now? I ask because I have only followed the signings but not the financial ramifications of it. HOw are these deals going to break down? Is it going to put NE in salary cap jail for years to come?

On top of that.. They draft a guy in Meriweather who will help immediately, and end up with two F'n first rounds picks in next year's draft as well?

Seriously, this is the most productive offseason I've ever seen. This seems on the outside like a TOTAL COMMITTMENT to winning a championship from Robert Craft. But has he thrown in the towel for future years by making these signings now?

Again.. Buffalo had more cap room than NE did. NE gets all these guys and our "cash to cap" would prevent us from trading for Briggs even if Chicago wanted a water bottle in return.

Does Cash to Cap mean THAT much of a difference. You're the Pats guy, you'd know.

Dr. Lecter
05-30-2007, 06:11 PM
I know some of the deals are really one year deals (i.e. Stallworth) and have huge bonus payments due next year.

I also know that Moss came to them relatively cheap.

It is much easier for the Pats to sign guys, since they want to go there more than any other team.

LtFinFan66
05-30-2007, 06:13 PM
they cheated

patmoran2006
05-30-2007, 06:15 PM
I know some of the deals are really one year deals (i.e. Stallworth) and have huge bonus payments due next year.

It is much easier for the Pats to sign guys, since they want to go there more than any other team. So basically its "this year and cut them, or we're f'd for the future kind of team"?

LIke I said.. I've only followed signings, I havent followed much of the contracts except for guys that I wanted Buffalo to target (June, Harper, Rod Hood, DeWayne White)

Dr. Lecter
05-30-2007, 06:19 PM
I am not sure about all of the deals, but know Stallworth and I think Washington are in that boat. Brady also renegotiated his deal, which is never good for the future.

alohabillsfan
05-30-2007, 09:55 PM
See Washingtons offseasons since the arrival of Snyedr!

!Papacrunk!
05-30-2007, 10:10 PM
winning Super Bowls makes people come in droves to play for your team and take less pay to do so.

ParanoidAndroid
05-30-2007, 11:08 PM
New England is like an older woman fighting the signs of ageing. They have money to spend on cosmetic surgery. I guarantee that they will not be as good as they look on paper. Moss' carreer is waning...he'll be better this year but why? Two words: Andrew Walter.
How many receivers can you actually use?
Caldwell
Gaffney
Stallworth
Moss
Welker
Jackson
Washington

Chad Jackson still has the potential to be a solid #2 or even better. Stallworth is their best receiver, but he has been injury prone and a head case; he's very inconsistent but also very talented. Their leading receiver last year was Caldwell and Gaffney came on strong at the end of the season, especially the playoffs (21 catches, 244 yds, 2 TD's in 3 games).

Coach Sal
05-31-2007, 12:04 AM
So basically its "this year and cut them, or we're f'd for the future kind of team"?

Yes.

Belichick's contract is up at the end of the year. He's basically asked the organization to get him one more SB no matter what it takes. And for all he's done for them, they'd have a hard time saying "no" to that request....especially if they have any intention of trying to retain him.

But I believe BB is gone no matter what at the end of the year, the Pats FO knows this, and they are trying to send him off into the sunset with the Lombardi Trophy in his hands.

Carlton Bailey
05-31-2007, 12:42 AM
Bingo, Coach. I think Belichick will be coaching the Giants in 2008.

Night Train
05-31-2007, 06:15 AM
Yes.

Belichick's contract is up at the end of the year. He's basically asked the organization to get him one more SB no matter what it takes. And for all he's done for them, they'd have a hard time saying "no" to that request....especially if they have any intention of trying to retain him.

But I believe BB is gone no matter what at the end of the year, the Pats FO knows this, and they are trying to send him off into the sunset with the Lombardi Trophy in his hands.

I think Coach Sal is spot on.

Night Train
05-31-2007, 06:23 AM

It is much easier for the Pats to sign guys, since they want to go there more than any other team.

You are correct, Dr. Most all,if not all of those contracts are set up to be terminated after 1 season. One and done.

Stewie
05-31-2007, 06:42 AM
nobody ever learns.

this is NOT the way NE became a dominant team.

It IS the sign of an aging team getting desperate.

In conclusion, the washington redskins.

Ickybaluky
05-31-2007, 08:44 AM
The only guy they really paid big money to this offseason is Adalius Thomas. He received $24M in guaranteed money on a 5 Yr/$35M contract. That is the same guaranteed money the Bills paid to Derrick Dockery.

As others have said, Moss took a big paycut and reduced his deal to 1 Yr. He is in a contract year and can be an UFA after this season, with no future cap hit incurred by NE.

Stallworth came cheap ($1M SB), but has a big option next season. If he plays well and the Pats want to elect the option they basically are picking up a 5 Yr/$29.5M deal with an $8M SB. That is less than the Deion Branch deal (6 Yrs/$39M, $13M SB), and he has to play this year to prove he is worth it. If the Pats decline the option, they only incur a $833K cap charge in 2008.

Welker received a 5 Yr/$18M deal with $9M in signing and option bonuses. That isn't a big deal in this market, especially considering he will be filling multiple roles.

Kelly Washington received a $300K SB. He may not even make the team.

Sammy Morris ($1.5M SB on 4 Yr/$7M deal) and Kyle Brady ($2M SB on 2 Yr/$5.3M deal) were paid as role players.

In short, the Pats had some cap room this year and saw some value in FA. They spent some money on players they saw as fits. They didn't see as much value high in the draft, so they traded out into next year's draft (extra 1st and 3rd).

As for age, the Pats aren't as old as people think. They love to sign veteran role players, so that adds age to their overall roster. Their LB corps is undoubtedly aging, and that will have to be addressed in the future (which is a good reason to have those extra picks).

The Pats do an excellent job managing the cap because the players they have paid a lot of money to are worth the value. The big money players they have (like Brady and Seymour) are worth it.

I've said it a ton of times, but you don't get in cap trouble by paying big money to good players, you get in cap trouble by overpaying. If your top-paid guys perform, you are in good cap shape, generally.

The strength of the Pats team (Brady, OL, DL) are all in their prime and are not going anywhere in the next few years. They have added other young players on offense (like Maroney, Watson) and defense (like Samuel, Hobbs, Wilson, Meriweather) via the draft during their run. They filled in some holes with FA and trades. Their strategy has been fairly consistent throughout, and it is based on value.

Their cap management continues to be good, and they have stockpiled draft picks to keep adding young players along the way. They are built to last a while, or at least the next few years in NFL terms.

For those of you predicting their demise, it amounts to the same wishful thinking you have been doing the last few years. There is no doubt that the Pats run will come to an end at some point in the future, but looking at how the team is built right now that doesn't appear to be anytime soon. The current team looks to be their best yet.

patmoran2006
05-31-2007, 08:50 AM
Like them or not..

YOu must take off your cap to the Patriots.

Between the draft and FA, they have built in amazing football team.

jpdex12
05-31-2007, 09:17 AM
It's the NFL and with each new year...ANYTHING can happen! There are no guarentees from one year to the next.

patmoran2006
05-31-2007, 09:22 AM
It's the NFL and with each new year...ANYTHING can happen! There are no guarentees from one year to the next.
True but being a fan of a team that has a legit chance to win the Super Bowl every year is a lot more fun.

Just like the Bills during their run.

cocamide
05-31-2007, 09:57 AM
With all these signings and the fact that last year's AFC championship meltdown was pretty improbable, there's no way the Patsies don't make it to the SB this year. I really hate to say that, but there's no way in hell the Colts beat them again.

As for all the player signings, you can look at it from their standpoint and see why they'd rather play cheap for the Pats than sign a slightly above average contract with a mediocre team. If they do win the SB this year, the value of all those players that signed for one year will go way up and they'll be able to sign long term deals for much more money. So, they play for less this year to make it up in future years.

Now, hopefully the Patsies suck this year and it turns out miserable for every one in their organization, especially BB.

Mr. Miyagi
05-31-2007, 10:24 AM
Again, the Pats are one Tom Brady ACL away from being 4-12.

Tatonka
05-31-2007, 10:41 AM
yup

Tatonka
05-31-2007, 10:42 AM
almost every team in the NFL is one injury away from 4-12

Ickybaluky
05-31-2007, 11:17 AM

I don't know about 4-12, but they likely aren't a playoff contender. I like Matt Cassell, but it is asking a lot to think he can step in and come close to replacing Brady.

Michael82
05-31-2007, 11:58 AM
nobody ever learns.

this is NOT the way NE became a dominant team.

It IS the sign of an aging team getting desperate.

In conclusion, the washington redskins.
That's exactly what i have been thinking! Good post! :bf1:

jdbillsfan
05-31-2007, 03:46 PM
I have a serious question- this is not a dig or a sarcastic thread.

I want to know they answer because I'm absolutely fascincated how New England was able to pull this off.

My question is..
How did the Patriots manage to sign/trade ALL of these guys:
Randy Moss
Donte Stallworth
Wes Welker
Kelly Washington
Adalius Thomas
Sammy Morris

When they entered FA with significantly LESS cap room than BUffalo? How were they able to do these contracts, because it seems to this is one of the best offseasons I've ever seen a team have in my life.

On top of that, they franchised and still hold the rights to Assante Samuel, a top 5 corner in this league.

Have they totally MORTGAGED the future by getting all these guys now? I ask because I have only followed the signings but not the financial ramifications of it. HOw are these deals going to break down? Is it going to put NE in salary cap jail for years to come?

On top of that.. They draft a guy in Meriweather who will help immediately, and end up with two F'n first rounds picks in next year's draft as well?

Seriously, this is the most productive offseason I've ever seen. This seems on the outside like a TOTAL COMMITTMENT to winning a championship from Robert Craft. But has he thrown in the towel for future years by making these signings now?

Again.. Buffalo had more cap room than NE did. NE gets all these guys and our "cash to cap" would prevent us from trading for Briggs even if Chicago wanted a water bottle in return.

Does Cash to Cap mean THAT much of a difference. You're the Pats guy, you'd know.

I think you are getting a tad carried away with these moves. Moss and Stallworth both have question marks. This is their third team each. Usually players don't get moved around that much, unless there are issues with them. Moss has been available since the end of the season and their were only two teams to bite. Green Bay didn't even want to give a 4th for him, so its not like he is definitely the answer at WR.

They did seem to address their hole at WR with throwing 4 or 5 free agents at the hole, but they did draft one WR in the 2nd last year and gave up a 2nd this year for another one, so its not like they are getting them for free.

I still think they are a team with holes though. Maroney kind of fell off a little last year and wasn't quite the RB that Buffalo made him seem to be. Their secondary is in a little flux with Samuel. Harrison is getting older and injured more often, their LB's are aging.

I think their weak drafts are going to catch up to them a little bit. Didn't they draft like 5 TE's last year? Merriweather seems decent, but they didn't really get much else this year.

With the draft, I think a Jacoby Jones, Jason Hill or Paul Williams might have been a better option than Welker.