• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheGhostofJimKelly
    • May 2003

Five biggest trends that have emerged in recent years

I am assuming that is the same Bucky Brooks:
    Pretty solid article with some of the points are some of the things the Bills are dealing with:

Tampa Two On the Decline
    3-4 Growing In Popularity
    Rookie Pass Rushers Thriving
    Safeties More Important
    Teams continue to make due without shutdown CBs
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Five biggest trends that have emerged in recent years

2 out of five isn't too bad.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Aaaarrrghh! After the season ended I said that the Tampa Two was outdated and offenses were catching up to it, but I got torn to shreds on this board for even suggesting it. Now, a professional NFL analyst has the same assessment, with statistics to back it up.

I don't usually say "I told you so" on this board, because when I'm right it usually means the Bills are losing and I can't take any glory in losing- I'd rather win than be right. So, I'm going to take full advantage of this opportunity:

I TOLD YOU SO
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

Look back a couple of years, and the same thing could be said for the three-four.

These things run in cycles. A defense is created, offenses compensate, defenses get tweaked, offenses then get tweaked etc, etc.

The Tampa2 isn't going anywhere, as Brooks stated.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
          Look back a couple of years, and the same thing could be said for the three-four.

These things run in cycles. A defense is created, offenses compensate, defenses get tweaked, offenses then get tweaked etc, etc.

The Tampa2 isn't going anywhere, as Brooks stated.
          no D that isn't predicated on stopping the run will ever be successful in this league. When Tampa was running it, even they had Sapp at his prime to clog up the middle. Chicago has the PERFECT personnel and Indy has an offense that's good enough to make the opposing offense pass and play into the strength of the D.

The Bills (and the other Tampa 2 teams for that matter) have NONE of those things. That's why it doesn't work.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• G. Host
            Banned
            • Jul 2002

Not all analysts agree. Data can be massaged to fit opinion. Ask Stat Man for details on he does it.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
              no D that isn't predicated on stopping the run will ever be successful in this league. When Tampa was running it, even they had Sapp at his prime to clog up the middle. Chicago has the PERFECT personnel and Indy has an offense that's good enough to make the opposing offense pass and play into the strength of the D.

The Bills (and the other Tampa 2 teams for that matter) have NONE of those things. That's why it doesn't work.
              Two Super Bowl teams out of two.

Scoreboard.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Two Super Bowl teams out of two.

Scoreboard.
                once again, show me another team that has the athletes on D that Chicago has. Show me another team with an O as powerful as Indy's. You can't because they don't exist.

And the trend of using the exception to prove the rule continues around here.....
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

once again, show me another team that has the athletes on D that Chicago has. Show me another team with an O as powerful as Indy's. You can't because they don't exist.

And the trend of using the exception to prove the rule continues around here.....
                  Two teams.

One has a great offense, statistically, and the defense supposedly 'sucked'.

One has a great defense, and the offense supposedly 'sucked'.

Both ran the Tampa2.

You can win with the T2 regardless of what your offense is like, and this past year's Super Bowl match-up is the perfect example.

I wouldn't consider that an 'exception'.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Two teams.

One has a great offense, statistically, and the defense supposedly 'sucked'.

One has a great defense, and the offense supposedly 'sucked'.

Both ran the Tampa2.

You can win with the T2 regardless of what your offense is like, and this past year's Super Bowl match-up is the perfect example.

I wouldn't consider that an 'exception'.
                    One had a great offense, one had a great defense- Buffalo has... neither.

Look, I'm really trying not to get into any more endless arguments on this board. It's as simple as this: the Tampa 2 is a situational D that works under the right circumstances. If you can't see the drastic difference between Indy or Chicago and Buffalo, there is no helping you. You're just wrong.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                      My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                      • Apr 2004

Tampa-2 is a basic defense just like the 3-4 and other versions of a 4-3 formation. They are so in name only because every team has different players and different ways of running their base defense. No matter what scheme you are running, if you do it well, you will be successful. Simply because we are running a Tampa-2 does not make us any worse off than if we were running a 3-4 or a 46, or whatever.
                      Buffalo may not be as good as Chicago and Indy were last year, but neither were the 29 other teams not in the Superbowl.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by andyxc71
                        Tampa-2 is a basic defense just like the 3-4 and other versions of a 4-3 formation. They are so in name only because every team has different players and different ways of running their base defense. No matter what scheme you are running, if you do it well, you will be successful. Simply because we are running a Tampa-2 does not make us any worse off than if we were running a 3-4 or a 46, or whatever.
                        Buffalo may not be as good as Chicago and Indy were last year, but neither were the 29 other teams not in the Superbowl.

Actually, the undersized DT's make us worse off than in those other D's. It basically cedes short yardage situations, and it puts too much pressure on the O because the D can't stop the run and get off the field.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• more cowbell
                          • Apr 2006

teams that played the "tampa 2" in 2006

Colts - Superbowl
                          Bears - Superbowl
                          Chiefs - Playoffs
                          Vikings - 8th Ranked defense in 2006
                          Lions - 28th Ranked defense in 2006
                          Bills - 18th Ranked defense in 2006
                          Buccaneers - 17th Ranked defense in 2006

soure http://http://www.nfl.com/stats/team...r?sort_col_1=4

just proof that the TAMPA 2 isn't a complete failure...teams are both good and bad that play it. It's not about the system it's about the players who run it...and the coaches who coach it.
                          The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                            My battery is low and it's getting dark.
                            • Apr 2004

Actually, the undersized DT's make us worse off than in those other D's. It basically cedes short yardage situations, and it puts too much pressure on the O because the D can't stop the run and get off the field.
                            I agree with you to some degree, but I wonder if it's more their ability than their size. Tommie Harris is 300lbs even. Williams and McCargo are both bigger than that right now and Walker and Tripplett are 295. The former two have not realized their full potential. Our DT's just weren't very good against the run. Could McCargo be as good as Harris? Maybe, but it won't be right away. Williams was a good looking rookie and could end up being one of the steals of his draft class. It takes a few years to acquire and develop the right players in each position for your system, no matter what system it is.

Comment

• feelthepain
                              All-Pro Zoner
                              • Mar 2005

Anything and everything to keep from falling off the homer wagon.

Comment

Working...
                              X