Reed deserves a 2nd chance at starting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • more cowbell
    • Apr 2006

Reed deserves a 2nd chance at starting...

If you think about it here is the deal.

Reed is a very strong WR who can go over the middle. He also is extremely good at run blocking (much like Heins Ward is for the Steelers). Sure, we all know he has had his share of drops, but when this guy gets the ball he is very hard to bring down and is always getting yards after contact. Like his touchdown against Miami at home this year. And in 2005 against the Patriots at home where he broke about 8 tackles and scored.

When reed was inserted into the starting lineup in 2003...the Bills ran a completely different and TERRIBLE offense. They had an atrocious offensive line a statue of a Quarterback, and a similar possession reciever on the other side in Moulds. Not to mencion the entire offense was the same in 2003 as it was in 2002 where the game plan was to get the ball down the field and stretch the field with moulds and price...or dump it off to Larry Centers. Except in 2003 the line was WORSE than it was in 2002, we didn't have a safety blanket in Larry Centers...instead we had Sam Gash running routes...and we had two possession recievers in Reed and Moulds running downfield routes.

I'm not saying that Josh Reed is an all-star. But he has played pretty steadily over the past couple seasons and has gotten rid of some of his tendencys of dropping the ball. With the offense the Bills run which is mostly intermediate passing routes followed by long bombs to Evans...they need a strong 2nd reciever who can go over the middle and compliment Evans and Parrish/Price in the slot.

You never know...and considering the current WR's on the roster it wouldn't hurt to try it.

Thoughts?
    The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.
  • jamesiscool
    suck it fool.
    • Feb 2007

Re: Reed deserves a 2nd chance at starting...

josh reed doesnt show up in gameday and thats why he hasn't been a legitimate 2nd wr.

he's had every chance to step it up and every year he hasn't lived up to his offseason/ training camp hype.

i dont know if its in his head or if he just cant put all the pieces of the ouzzle together but josh reed doesnt seem like much of a gamer.
    Sec 241 row 12 seat 23

Comment

• camelcowboy
      • Mar 2005

Reed has been dead to me the day he droped that wide open flee flicker from bledsoe against washington. His hands are inconsistent and he can hardly make any seperation. He's had plenty of time to show some flashes and he'll have at least another year. Guy has more lives then a cat and he's had plenty of chances, time for some production.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by camelcowboy
        Reed has been dead to me the day he droped that wide open flee flicker from bledsoe against washington.
        Lol! wow!

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

I wasn't too pleased when he was given one of the carbon copy 4 year 10 Mil contracts (Royal, Gutless, Reed) last year .

Yet I do like him as a #3 slot WR. Last year, the characteristic drops vanished and solid production was evident in his limited opportunities. A former RB, he is very strong and breaks tackles easily. Losman seemed to look for him, when sensing a blitz or when scrambling. He's willing to go over the middle,come back for the ball and take a hit, unlike #81.

I still hope we ID another #2 WR but leave Reed in the slot, where he does well.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• BuffaloBillsStampede
            • Aug 2005

I agree with more cowbell. At least let him try it out at the beginning of the season. If it doesn't work then move him back to the slot. I think he showed pretty good gameday improvement last season, and with JP getting more comfortable with the offense now it can only help Josh Reed.
            SUPER MARIO PLEASE COME TO BUFFALO!!!!

Comment

• mackey789
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by camelcowboy
              Reed has been dead to me the day he droped that wide open flee flicker from bledsoe against washington. His hands are inconsistent and he can hardly make any seperation. He's had plenty of time to show some flashes and he'll have at least another year. Guy has more lives then a cat and he's had plenty of chances, time for some production.
              That was against New England in the opener when we won 31-0

Comment

• seanbillsfan
                • May 2007

I think he should be #2 simply because of his contract. If he cant live up to it then he is gone next off season and we will draft a wr in the 1 or 2 rd in next years draft. I dont think Price will make the team this year.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Nobody deserves anything other than a few like Evans , Peters ,Morman and Schobel. Let them fight it out at camp.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• patmoran2006
                    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                    • Dec 2005

I think Josh Reed is a career backup and deservedly so. When he has a small role he looks great.. When has a bigger role he flops.

Having said that though, I wouldnt be surprised if he ends up #2 (sadly) and Price is cut this summer.

We need a legit #2 WR.. It aint coming this year. I hope its a high priority next year

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• bigbub2352
                      • Feb 2005

Josh reed either makes a phenominal play, or he drops the ball, he is too inconsistent in getting open, he is too slow, and he doesnt break any tackles, with the exception of the Miami game last year, i am hard pressed to think of a time were he actually caught the ball and ran with it, he is like a 5'10 TE he catches the ball and falls down

He is a real good Blocker, I guess that is why we signed him to a 4 year deal, he has had his chance in the slot and as a number 2 and blew both chances, he is also awful in the redzone, but he does look real good in Training Camp every year,
                      Money should have been spent last year on someone else, i still pull my hair out that this guys is on the team, Sorry i usually try and be positive but this is one guy that just doesnt have it to be a number 2, and is too inconsistent to be a 3, i would take him for a league minimum 4th receiver, someone u can put in in obviously run sitautions, then u can utlize his only WR skill that he excells in
                      XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• Elminster
                        #1 Kelsay Fan
                        • Oct 2006

Josh played very well last year...and consistently. I hope he keeps it up...
                        Good riddance Fairchild. Of course, the knowledge of your departure will only make TE more hateable than the typical Bills QB. Good luck, hope we don't mess you up like JP.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                          Zero for Zero!
                          • Mar 2003

This issue of him having the dropsies is old.

He had one bad (very bad) year of dropping the ball. It reminds of Travis Henry being a fumbler. He too had one bad year and the reputation stuck even though it should not have.
                          Originally posted by mysticsoto
                          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            This issue of him having the dropsies is old.

He had one bad (very bad) year of dropping the ball. It reminds of Travis Henry being a fumbler. He too had one bad year and the reputation stuck even though it should not have.

Let's see what he can do now that JP is settled and Reed is finally in a better situation than he's ever been since he joined the league. After this year there should be no excuses. I still don't see his nos. going way up now that JP has other options like the TE (if he doesn't need to help the OL ) and the rb
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ddaryl
                              Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Elminster
                              Josh played very well last year...and consistently. I hope he keeps it up...
                              I agree. Reed had a decent season last year even when our O was consistently inconsistent for more then half the season.

He is a real good blocker for a WR too which we will miss if he isn't playing..

I'm not sure if he is a #2 wr but he definitely is going to be on the roster and deservingly so. That is until we can find 2 WR's that are better (not including our #1 guy) to replace him, and right now there aren't 2 WR's on the team who are better then him outside of Evans

Comment

Working...
                              X