• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Bills Should Pass The Cap For Walker

Darwin Walker is no savior. He’s probably not worth the money he’s seeking from the Bills. But General Manager Marv Levy needs to find a way to get Walker’s name on a contract extension, even if it means deviating from the team’s new “cash to the cap” policy.

The Bills need Walker to fortify the middle of their young, suspect defense. He’s a veteran defensive tackle, and they have a serious need at the position. Walker, a quick, attacking lineman, had 26z sacks in his last five seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles and seems ideally suited for Dick Jauron’s scheme.

Walker has two years left on his existing deal. The Bills knew he wanted an extension when they acquired him (plus a seventh-round pick) for Takeo Spikes and Kelly Holcomb. A player of Walker’s stature would command a signing bonus in the $5 million range, so it might be difficult for the Bills to fit him under their self-imposed cap. They have to find a way. They can defer part of Walker’s bonus to next year. If they can’t agree on a long-term extension, they can do a one-year deal. Or they can spend cash over the cap. If nothing is done by Aug. 5, Walker goes back to Philly and the Bills get a sixthround draft choice instead.

The Bills are talking about selling out all their home games. Signing Walker would show the fans they’re serious about competing. If they lose Walker, it’ll mean they traded Spikes and Holcomb for sixth- and seventh-round picks. That would be an utter embarrassment to Levy and the franchise

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • alohabillsfan
    • Sep 2003

Re: Bills Should Pass The Cap For Walker

Because cutting them and getting nothing is better?
    Where do we currently stand in regards to cash to the cap?

Comment

• The King
      Without me it's just Awe so
      • Jun 2004

If we are going to pass... we need to make damn sure we have agreed to terms with Carolina for an injury prone Kris Jenkins. We can't let August hit and have no answer, both guys come with a risk but not having a DT to anchor this line is a huge mistake. If Jenkins can be had for a 3rd I'd make that move regardless.
      I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
      "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
      You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
      It was all
      true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
      He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
      mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

I think Sullivan's biggest point is this.

The fans are showing loyalty by hopefully selling out all the games. They're definitely on the right track anyway.

In return, the organization needs to show some loyalty to the fans, go over "cash to cap" if need be, and sign a player at a position the team obviously desperately needs to improve on. Show a little committment to winning.

It's give and take.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
          I think Sullivan's biggest point is this.

The fans are showing loyalty by hopefully selling out all the games. They're definitely on the right track anyway.

In return, the organization needs to show some loyalty to the fans, go over "cash to cap" if need be, and sign a player at a position the team obviously desperately needs to improve on. Show a little committment to winning.

It's give and take.
          I agree 100%, Pat. I hope there are serious negotiations going on within the Bills' FO concerning the cap, the impact of Walker on the team, and the commitment to the fans, as well as with Walker's agent.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

like Sullivan said.

Walker's no savior, far from it. But he's a good DT who at WORST would be solid in the rotation and at best could be the best DT on the team.

With Anderson sucking and McCargo still being a question mark, AND the fact you gave up Spikes for him, signing him is a total no brainer.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
              Zero for Zero!
              • Mar 2003

I agree as well. As long as Walker is reasonable, (i.e. no 8 million $$ bonus), get it done.
              Originally posted by mysticsoto
              Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

Walker is a penetrating 3 gap DT, playing on the outside shoulder of the Guard.

Kris Jenkins would be playing over the C as a NG/2 Gap type, replacing the 1 Gap DT, ( McCargo,Kyle Williams ). He has nothing to do with the Tripplett, Walker rotation at the 3 gap. Totally different animal.
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

Walker is important he would rotate usually with Tripplett.

and on passing downs he'd often be lined up with Tripplett, giving us our two best pass rushing DT's on the field at the same time.

Combine that with SChobel and Kelsay (who the one thing he CAN do is rush the passer) and our front four with Walker would be good vs the pass.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                    • Jul 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                    and on passing downs he'd often be lined up with Tripplett, giving us our two best pass rushing DT's on the field at the same time.
                    I doubt Tripplett, with his 7.5 career sacks, is one of the best pass-rushing DT on the team.

Comment

• don137
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MBBedard
                      If we are going to pass... we need to make damn sure we have agreed to terms with Carolina for an injury prone Kris Jenkins. We can't let August hit and have no answer, both guys come with a risk but not having a DT to anchor this line is a huge mistake. If Jenkins can be had for a 3rd I'd make that move regardless.
                      No chance of Jenkins for a third. The Panthers turned down a second and another pick for him from St Louis on draft day. They want a first. Not going to happen.

Comment

• Mad Bomber
                        • Jul 2002

They should get this deal done. A 6th and 7th for Spikes and Holcomb would piss me off.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by NE39
                          I doubt Tripplett, with his 7.5 career sacks, is one of the best pass-rushing DT on the team.
                          His 2.5 sacks last year led the team among DT's
                          In fact, no other DT even had a sack.

That makes him the best pash rushing DT on the team.

Comment

• The King
                            Without me it's just Awe so
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by don137
                            No chance of Jenkins for a third. The Panthers turned down a second and another pick for him from St Louis on draft day. They want a first. Not going to happen.
                            Ahhh I didnt know that... thats insane considering he has spent 3 years on IR
                            I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                            "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                            You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                            It was all
                            true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                            He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                            mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• raphael120
                              Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                              • Oct 2005

The whole reason for dumping Spikes was the cap hit. I think the Bills might go the cheap route and just let Walker walk. Money saved and they gained a worthless 6th rounder for next year.

The only reason I would let that slide and not be totally pissed is if we use that money saved by NOT signing Walker and resign Evans, JP (if he continues to improve), and be able to bring in a big signing next years FA.

Otherwise, we should bring in Walker.

Comment

Working...
                              X