PDA

View Full Version : Day Seven OTA Notes

madness
05-31-2007, 01:07 PM
Day Seven OTA Notes

Things were changed up a bit Thursday in practice as there was a lengthy walk-through session and an extended special teams period. Players worked on kickoff coverage alignments, wedge formations and punt protections.
An interesting note was Marshawn Lynch was one of the featured kick returners during that segment of practice. Shaud Williams was also in the kick return group.

Webster gets more reps
Buffalo's newest cornerback Jason Webster got almost all the first team reps at the right cornerback spot. Part of it was due to a reduced workload for Kiwaukee Thomas Thursday, but he performed well for the most part. ...

11-on-11
Early in the team portion of practice Robert Royal caught a nicely thrown ball from J.P. Losman deep down the seam. Unfortunately there was some accidental contact near the end of the play as two defenders came at Royal from different angles to 'tag up tackle' the tight end. Royal was shaken up on the play and was forced to leave practice. He left the stadium under his own power holding his left shoulder. We anticipate more word on Royal's condition Friday. ...

Lynch and Wright flash
Marshawn Lynch and Dwayne Wright haven't been getting a ton of reps, but they have made their presence felt.
Lynch on the very last play of 11-on-11 took a hand off at the five-yard line on an outside running play. It was a race to the pylon from the middle of the field and no defender was able to lay a hand on him as he scampered into the end zone.
Wright meanwhile seems to have a knack for instinctively knowing where the cutback lane is going to be. He's almost running through it before it's completely there. His anticipation is impressive to watch. Wright has earned praise from running backs coach Eric Studesville for seeing those lanes which can often translate into big gainers. ...

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4824

madness
05-31-2007, 01:08 PM
Also from Chris Brown's Blog...

Player reps limited

<TABLE borderColor=#09347b cellPadding=10 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=mediumrow style="BORDER-RIGHT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #548bb5 1px solid" colSpan=2><TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #002d78 1px solid" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Today

</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 1:44 PM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=1487)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>PLAYER REPS LIMITED: Again some players took limited reps Thursday. Roscoe Parrish did not participate at all (quad), but Kiwaukee Thomas and Donte Whitner had reduced workloads as well as some of the other vets like Aaron Schobel and Chris Kelsay. On offense Lee Evans and Josh Reed appeared to get fewer reps than they had received the previous week and a half as the staff likely wants to get more of a look at some of the other players further down on the depth chart. --- </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

SquishDaFish
05-31-2007, 01:21 PM
madness I was accused of being a homer lol

justasportsfan
05-31-2007, 01:22 PM
Reed and Evans had fewer reps?

Let the controversy begin.

ParanoidAndroid
05-31-2007, 01:35 PM
Wright meanwhile seems to have a knack for instinctively knowing where the cutback lane is going to be. He's almost running through it before it's completely there. His anticipation is impressive to watch. Wright has earned praise from running backs coach Eric Studesville for seeing those lanes which can often translate into big gainers.

Cutback lanes? Maybe I've been watching McGahee for too long, but I forgot what it looks like when a RB hits a cutback lane.

raphael120
05-31-2007, 01:49 PM
Reed and Evans had fewer reps?

Let the controversy begin.

Where does it say that, boy who cries wolf?

justasportsfan
05-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Where does it say that, boy who cries wolf?
secret.

HAMMER
05-31-2007, 02:08 PM
I am really excited to see what our running game looks like, I expect big things from both Wright and Lynch. I think Wright may go down as a BIG BARGAIN in this draft. Just a hunch but I've watched him play enough to see he is a natural runner.

Pinkerton Security
05-31-2007, 02:15 PM
Did anyone else read that thing about their pepper game at the very bottom? I thought it was funny, it would have been fun to be there and watch it, I'm sure the players were having fun with it, and it was good to see Wilson win. hes a good guy

Romes
05-31-2007, 02:22 PM
Did anyone else read that thing about their pepper game at the very bottom? I thought it was funny, it would have been fun to be there and watch it, I'm sure the players were having fun with it, and it was good to see Wilson win. hes a good guy

Schobel was cheating because he is unhappy with his contract...

ddaryl
05-31-2007, 02:37 PM
Cutback lanes? Maybe I've been watching McGahee for too long, but I forgot what it looks like when a RB hits a cutback lane.

Travis was never a cut back lane runner either. So yeah it's been a while since we've seen it done with any consistency.

OpIv37
05-31-2007, 03:28 PM
Lynch returning kicks?

Well I suppose it worked for Bush last year, but I hope that he's relieved of that duty if he develops into our "feature back" this season.

madness
05-31-2007, 03:35 PM
Madness I was accused of being a homer lol

HomerIN05 added to sig and it's a lower case 'm', you homer. As one of the biggest homers, I don't deserve the significance of a capital letter. :up:

ublinkwescore
05-31-2007, 03:36 PM

Isn't that kinda like what the broncos did that made Terell Davis a household name - get the offensive line pushing to one side - left or right - and then the running back starts out that same direction, and then right before he gets to the LOS, he cuts back in the other direction where there should be a larger hole due to the D overpursuing in one direction?

I never really noticed us doing that last season, but it's not something that would necessarily stand out all that well from the angle that games are televised.

Maybe the coaching staff feels that we've got an Oline athletic enough to do that with now.

John Doe
05-31-2007, 03:39 PM
Day Seven OTA Notes
Wright meanwhile seems to have a knack for instinctively knowing where the cutback lane is going to be. He's almost running through it before it's completely there. His anticipation is impressive to watch. Wright has earned praise from running backs coach Eric Studesville for seeing those lanes which can often translate into big gainers. ...

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=4824

When I first read the article I lost track and thought that they were talking about Lynch's abiltiy to anticipate where the opening was going to be, because a number of his highlights showed him doing just that. It's good to read the same things about Wright.

I liked McGahee, but he did not display that kind of knack. It seemed that he waited for the opening to be there and then made his move. By that time the gap was closed again.

HHURRICANE
05-31-2007, 03:55 PM
Is it me or does Edwards out shine Nall everytime so far?

Wright looks like he became our 3rd back today.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-31-2007, 05:17 PM
If Wright can do this in real games, we might have a Terrell Davis in hand

gil
05-31-2007, 05:51 PM

I hope so, I think Shaud's days are limited, but at the same time, I'm not sure the depth chart changes dramatically until training camp when it goes full speed with pads and real hitting practices.

patmoran2006
05-31-2007, 06:07 PM
If there is ONE thing I hope comes from the OTA"s..

Is I hope WEbster is stepping up and showing potential as a starter.

patmoran2006
05-31-2007, 06:08 PM

Nall and his 1.73 million third string salary will be holding a clipboard this year; no doubt about that.

Michael82
05-31-2007, 06:30 PM
Good news about Webster. Something tells me that he is going to go back to the way he was as a 49er. He was in the Cover 2 then and did a good job and was a player I was interested back then.
Maybe he just struggled in Atlanta's D. :pray: