PDA

View Full Version : Kick-Off Returner

Romes
05-31-2007, 01:16 PM
The OTA notes from today got me thinking...

Should McGee still return kick-offs? If not him, then who? Lynch?

McGee is one of the best in the league but since he is now the #1 CB and the Bills are thin at that position it would really hurt the team if he got injured. I am usually of the philisophy that a team should always put their best on the field, but with the Bills situation...I'm not sure.

BidsJr
05-31-2007, 01:19 PM

McGee is one of the best in the league but since he is now the #1 CB and the Bills are thin at that position it would really hurt the team if he got injured. I am usually of the philisophy that a team should always put their best on the field, but with the Bills situation...I'm not sure.

Much rather have McGee than Lynch.

No Way do I want the horse at RB open to getting mauled from someone that's had a bullseye on him for 60 yards.

He better only be back there because...........

Nope NM no way should he be back there even in practice.

deathadder
05-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Mcgee nor Lynch will be featured as kick returners. They are just getting practice because you need more than 1 in case of an emergency. Thats what we signed Josh Scobey for. He is a career special teamer and he will be returning kickoffs for us during the season.

OpIv37
05-31-2007, 01:26 PM
I still think this team needs a good punt-catcher to be successful.

Patrick76777
05-31-2007, 01:27 PM
Mcgee nor Lynch will be featured as kick returners. They are just getting practice because you need more than 1 in case of an emergency. Thats what we signed Josh Scobey for. He is a career special teamer and he will be returning kickoffs for us during the season.

I was thinking about this recently. They I checked the play by play for the Tennessee game last year and T-Mac brought 2 or 3 back to about mid-field and 2 other times, they kicked out of bounds trying to keep it away from him. He had us in great field position all day. That's one heck of a weapon to bail on.

jamze132
05-31-2007, 01:31 PM
Unless someone can beat out McGee in camp, the Bills will just assume risk and let him return kickoffs. He can give the offense some really good field position.

Mr. Miyagi
05-31-2007, 01:37 PM
Parrish is the returner. He did some last season.

No way I'm letting my first round pick do kick returns. We're not dumb like the Dolphins.

Romes
05-31-2007, 01:41 PM
I still think this team needs a good punt-catcher to be successful.

chris watson available?

:ontome:

patmoran2006
05-31-2007, 01:44 PM
Im thinking it will be Scobey.

WIth McGee every now and then if they need a "home run"

bigbub2352
05-31-2007, 01:45 PM
i think it will be Josh Scobee or Parrish

Romes
05-31-2007, 01:46 PM
I was thinking about this recently. They I checked the play by play for the Tennessee game last year and T-Mac brought 2 or 3 back to about mid-field and 2 other times, they kicked out of bounds trying to keep it away from him. He had us in great field position all day. That's one heck of a weapon to bail on.

Exactly what I was thinking. Scobey is average as a kick returner. Are the Bills really willing to downgrade at this spot? McGee has been huge for us there in recent years.

Dr. Lecter
05-31-2007, 01:46 PM
Im thinking it will be Scobey.

WIth McGee every now and then if they need a "home run"

I agree.

Maybe even both of them back there occassionally to screw up the opposition.

Philagape
05-31-2007, 01:58 PM
OR

What if our starting corners are Webster and Youboty? Then McGee can do it full time.

Romes
05-31-2007, 02:02 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0 align=left><TD class=bg0 colSpan=13>Scobey is no comparison to McGee...if Scobey returns kicks we are seriously downgrading.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Scobey

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0 align=left><TD class=bg0 colSpan=13>Kick Returns</TD></TR><TR class=bg1 align=middle><TD>Year</TD><TD>Team</TD><TD>G</TD><TD>No</TD><TD>Yds</TD><TD>Avg</TD><TD>Lg</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>40+</TD></TR><TR class=bg3 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>2002</TD><TD align=left>Arizona Cardinals</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>---</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>2003</TD><TD align=left>Arizona Cardinals</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>73</TD><TD>1684</TD><TD>23.1</TD><TD>100</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>4</TD></TR><TR class=bg3 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>2004</TD><TD align=left>Arizona Cardinals</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>32</TD><TD>723</TD><TD>22.6</TD><TD>71</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>2005</TD><TD align=left>Seattle Seahawks</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>59</TD><TD>1326</TD><TD>22.5</TD><TD>53</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>2</TD></TR><TR class=bg3 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>2006</TD><TD align=left>Seattle Seahawks</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>17</TD><TD>315</TD><TD>18.5</TD><TD>33</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 id=total_CAREER_k_ko_returns vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD class=bg4 align=left>TOTAL</TD><TD class=bg4 align=left> </TD><TD class=bg4>55</TD><TD class=bg4>181</TD><TD class=bg4>4048</TD><TD class=bg4>22.4</TD><TD class=bg4>100</TD><TD class=bg4>1</TD><TD class=bg4>7</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

McGee:

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0 align=left><TD class=bg0 colSpan=13>Kick Returns</TD></TR><TR class=bg1 align=middle><TD>Year</TD><TD>Team</TD><TD>G</TD><TD>No</TD><TD>Yds</TD><TD>Avg</TD><TD>Lg</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>40+</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>2003</TD><TD align=left>Buffalo Bills</TD><TD>14</TD><TD>8</TD><TD>160</TD><TD>20.0</TD><TD>26</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=bg3 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>2004</TD><TD align=left>Buffalo Bills</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>52</TD><TD>1370</TD><TD>26.3</TD><TD>104</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>5</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>2005</TD><TD align=left>Buffalo Bills</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>46</TD><TD>1391</TD><TD>30.2</TD><TD>99</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>8</TD></TR><TR class=bg3 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>2006</TD><TD align=left>Buffalo Bills</TD><TD>15</TD><TD>52</TD><TD>1355</TD><TD>26.1</TD><TD>88</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>6</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 id=total_CAREER_k_ko_returns vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD class=bg4 align=left>TOTAL</TD><TD class=bg4 align=left> </TD><TD class=bg4>60</TD><TD class=bg4>158</TD><TD class=bg4>4276</TD><TD class=bg4>27.1</TD><TD class=bg4>104</TD><TD class=bg4>4</TD><TD class=bg4>19</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

AL PACINO
05-31-2007, 02:02 PM
OR

What if our starting corners are Webster and Youboty? Then McGee can do it full time.
Mcgee is a great CB he will never be a dime back.

feldspar
05-31-2007, 02:04 PM
McGee should be the kick returner. He's the best guy by far. If he got hurt returning a kick, I'd be more concerned about his not being around to return kicks while he healed...not that he wouldn't be around to play corner.

He might have to run the length of the field twice in a matter of minutes. Once while giving up a long TD at corner, and once to return the kick-off for a touchdown to make up for it.

Philagape
05-31-2007, 02:10 PM
Mcgee is a great CB he will never be a dime back.

"Great"? You're the first person I've ever heard say that. He struggled mightily last year. He's not an ideal Cover 2 CB.

Romes
05-31-2007, 02:13 PM

No way I'm letting my first round pick do kick returns. We're not dumb like the Dolphins.

Thats probably the best option.

He didn't return any last year but he did alright in 2005. In limited reps.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0 align=left><TD class=bg0 colSpan=16>Kick Returns</TD></TR><TR class=bg1 align=middle><TD>Year</TD><TD>Team</TD><TD>G</TD><TD>No</TD><TD>Yds</TD><TD>Avg</TD><TD>Lg</TD><TD>TD</TD><TD>40+</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>2005</TD><TD align=left>Buffalo Bills</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>10</TD><TD>261</TD><TD>26.1</TD><TD>45</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>2</TD></TR><TR class=bg3 vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD align=left>2006</TD><TD align=left>Buffalo Bills</TD><TD>16</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>---</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 id=total_CAREER_k_ko_returns vAlign=center align=right height=15><TD class=bg4 align=left>TOTAL</TD><TD class=bg4 align=left> </TD><TD class=bg4>26</TD><TD class=bg4>10</TD><TD class=bg4>261</TD><TD class=bg4>26.1</TD><TD class=bg4>45</TD><TD class=bg4>0</TD><TD class=bg4>2</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

patmoran2006
05-31-2007, 02:47 PM
I never said Scobey was the BEST option.

I said he's likely to be our KR.

I hope its still McGee.. I think thats LARGELY up to how Youboty and Webster play and if Jauron thinks he can take a chance at seeing McGee get hurt.

Outside of the JP to Evans bomb.. McGee being back that for kicks is about the only thing to ever get excited about the past few years. I'll never forget that return he had just before halftime, even though he didnt end up scoring..

John Doe
05-31-2007, 03:15 PM

The Patriots had Moroney returning kickoffs all last year, and he was effective.

Just how dangerous is it to return kickoffs? I have no idea. Does anyone else?

Romes
05-31-2007, 03:46 PM
I never said Scobey was the BEST option.

I said he's likely to be our KR.

I hope its still McGee.. I think thats LARGELY up to how Youboty and Webster play and if Jauron thinks he can take a chance at seeing McGee get hurt.

Outside of the JP to Evans bomb.. McGee being back that for kicks is about the only thing to ever get excited about the past few years. I'll never forget that return he had just before halftime, even though he didnt end up scoring..

Fair enough, I was just showing that Scobey shouldn't be an option.

patmoran2006
05-31-2007, 06:06 PM
Fair enough, I was just showing that Scobey shouldn't be an option.
I hope your right.. I have no interest in seeing him return kicks either.. I hope its McGee.

Crisis
05-31-2007, 06:28 PM
How long did we have Clements returning punts for?

I hope McGee is still returning kicks, he's one of the best in the league. Only other person I wouldn't mind back there is Roscoe, Scobey? Meh.

kybillsfan
05-31-2007, 07:28 PM
I will believe Jauron is incompetent if he uses anyone other than McGee. You dont get rid of one of the best in the league just because he went from #2 CB to #1. He is a homerun threat everytime and I for one love it when I get to see him return because you never know what will happen.

YardRat
05-31-2007, 08:40 PM
I hope McGee is still back there, but like others have mentioned I believe one of the reasons Scobey was brought in was to return kicks.

I'd give Parrish a shot at returning both.

User Manuel
06-01-2007, 10:32 AM

I think that was part of the attraction in bringing in Josh Scobey. I think they are hoping he'll return kicks as part of his ST duty.

venis2k1
06-01-2007, 11:32 AM
mcgee cant play corner in the cover 2, if they take him off KR duties, he is a waste of a roster space.

HHURRICANE
06-01-2007, 11:38 AM
Unless someone can beat out McGee in camp, the Bills will just assume risk and let him return kickoffs. He can give the offense some really good field position.

He wasn't doing returns last year!!

Romes
06-01-2007, 11:43 AM
He wasn't doing returns last year!!

What team were you watching?

<TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: #255691 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #255691 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #255691 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #255691 1px solid" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=nflsortcolumn id=kickoff style="FONT: bold 11px verdana" colSpan=6>Kickoff Returning</TD></TR><TR><TD class=darkrow4 style="FONT: bold 11px verdana" colSpan=2> </TD><TD class=darkrow4 style="FONT: bold 11px verdana" align=middle colSpan=4>KICKOFF RETURNS</TD></TR><TR><TD class=darkrow1 style="FONT: bold 11px verdana" align=left>Player</TD><TD class=darkrow1 style="FONT: bold 11px verdana" align=right>G</TD><TD class=darkrow1 style="FONT: bold 11px verdana" align=right>No</TD><TD class=darkrow1 style="FONT: bold 11px verdana" align=right>Yds</TD><TD class=darkrow1 style="FONT: bold 11px verdana" align=right>Avg</TD><TD class=darkrow1 style="FONT: bold 11px verdana" align=right>TD</TD></TR><TR><TD class=altRow1 align=left><NOBR>Terrence McGee</NOBR></TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right>15</TD><TD class=darkrow1 align=right>52</TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right>1355</TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right>26.1</TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right>0</TD></TR><TR><TD class=altRow2 align=left><NOBR>Andre Davis</NOBR></TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right>15</TD><TD class=darkrow1 align=right>6</TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right>99</TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right>16.5</TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right>0</TD></TR><TR><TD class=altRow1 align=left><NOBR>Duke Preston</NOBR></TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right>15</TD><TD class=darkrow1 align=right>2</TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right>10</TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right>5.0</TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right>0</TD></TR><TR><TD class=altRow2 align=left><NOBR>Mario Haggan</NOBR></TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right>15</TD><TD class=darkrow1 align=right>2</TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right>5</TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right>2.5</TD><TD class=altRow2 align=right>0</TD></TR><TR><TD class=altRow1 align=left><NOBR>Shaud Williams</NOBR></TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right>5</TD><TD class=darkrow1 align=right>1</TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right>17</TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right>17.0</TD><TD class=altRow1 align=right>0</TD></TR><TR><TD class=darkrow1 style="FONT: bold 11px verdana" align=left colSpan=2>Totals</TD><TD class=darkrow1 style="FONT: bold 11px verdana" align=right>63</TD><TD class=darkrow1 style="FONT: bold 11px verdana" align=right>1486</TD><TD class=darkrow1 style="FONT: bold 11px verdana" align=right>23.6</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://www.buffalobills.com/games/statscenter.html

jamze132
06-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Sometimes, people forget to actually watch the games.

ShadowHawk7
06-03-2007, 10:26 PM
McGee has been a stud on ST more than he has on defense for us the last few years, making the PB once, and being the runner up another year. He can really be the difference for a still young offense. He can change your avg. drive start from the 20 to the 40.

The argument could be made, "Lets sit McGee on defense. He could get injured and then where would we be on ST??"
Obviously, that's not a realistic idea but he makes just as much of an impact, if not more on special teams, and bottom line, we need to keep him there.

Another thing is that he will be returning kicks only AFTER playing defense, so it shouldn't decrease his performance on D. Placing an offensive starter is dangerous because he'll stay on the field after his long sprint and hit. This is why putting Lynch back there would be absurd.

Backups to McGee should be Shaud Williams, Parrish, Leonard, and Scobey in no particular order. Anyone remember London Fletcher fielding kicks? That was awesome.

dannyek71
06-04-2007, 10:04 AM
Lets sign back antonio brown