PDA

View Full Version : Club Jauron?

Pride
05-31-2007, 03:19 PM
After reading some of the info about the OTA's and the Vets being treated the way they are (less reps, not necessarily showing up for a few of the days etc). I wonder if Club Marv is making a comeback. Do I feel that vets (tried and true) need to be running 40 plays a day? No. As far as I am concerned... get them out there, get them loose, run a few plays with them, then let them mentor the young guys trying to make th team. The best way to evaluate talent is to put 2nd/3rd string guys on the first team and allow them to make plays.

I think that might be why Marv used to always have a ton of depth on his teams.. Kelly, Reed, and Thomas didnt play much in practice, so the younger unproven guys had more reps with the first team O line and the like.

Just a thought.

FlyingDutchman
05-31-2007, 03:23 PM
Marv is starting to rub off on Dick

ublinkwescore
05-31-2007, 03:25 PM
that doesn't sound right.

Earthquake Enyart
05-31-2007, 03:27 PM
Geez, it's still May.

ublinkwescore
05-31-2007, 03:30 PM
After reading some of the info about the OTA's and the Vets being treated the way they are (less reps, not necessarily showing up for a few of the days etc). I wonder if Club Marv is making a comeback. Do I feel that vets (tried and true) need to be running 40 plays a day? No. As far as I am concerned... get them out there, get them loose, run a few plays with them, then let them mentor the young guys trying to make th team. The best way to evaluate talent is to put 2nd/3rd string guys on the first team and allow them to make plays.

I think that might be why Marv used to always have a ton of depth on his teams.. Kelly, Reed, and Thomas didnt play much in practice, so the younger unproven guys had more reps with the first team O line and the like.

Just a thought.

I was just wondering something the other day similar to one of the thoughts in your post - why don't teams start trying to mix in a lot of rooks and 2nd and 3rd stringers in during the preseason games to go up against other teams' first stringers - you'll get a better idea of what you've got where.

Instead, it seems that teams will put their starters in, pull them, put in their 2nd stringers, pull them, and then if there's enough time left on the clock, 3rd stringers/camp fodder get to see the field and they all seem to do this at the same time for the most part.

John Doe
05-31-2007, 03:32 PM

Just a thought.

Troy Vincent made some comments along those same lines last year regarding the relatively light preseason practice schedule that Jauron ran last year. Jauron believed in crisp practices that accomplished a lot in a short period of time.

A little like Levy and a little like Bud Grant.

justasportsfan
05-31-2007, 03:45 PM
the young ones might get injured before their contracts are signed. Training hard doesn't automatically mean training right. They have to be smart about it.

SquishDaFish
05-31-2007, 03:57 PM
I always loved that about Marv

HHURRICANE
05-31-2007, 05:13 PM
I always loved that about Marv

Espeacially when he had his teams out til 2AM the night before the Superbowl. Legendary.

HHURRICANE
05-31-2007, 05:15 PM
Espeacially when he had his teams out til 2AM the night before the Superbowl. Legendary.

Do you think I'll ever get over Super Bowl 25?????????

The Spaz
05-31-2007, 07:18 PM
It's an OTA not training camp.

ublinkwescore
06-01-2007, 08:40 AM
Do you think I'll ever get over Super Bowl 25?????????

well, if they're out til 2 AM, they still have plenty of time to get sleep since that superbowl was played in Tampa, Fla., that would put the superbowl at approximately 12:30 the next day - 10 hours to get rested up - they'll be fine as long as they didn't get their selves nasty hangovers - if they did, there are some effective hangover remedies (as long as the hangover isn't too severe).

That being said, yeah, that was probably our best shot at a Lombardy trophy, and it should have been taken more seriously.

Michael82
06-01-2007, 09:01 AM
There are rules for the OTAs. Jauron is just one of the coaches that actually follows it.