PDA

View Full Version : 3 Players Away

patmoran2006
06-01-2007, 12:19 PM
That's all I think the Bills are from being a legitimate playoff contender.

1- A REAL Defensive Tackle.
2- A cornerback that ISN'T a HUGE question mark.
3- A #2 WR who doesnt average 8.2 yards per catch (and Josh Reed isn't the answer either)

These are the only three things in my mind that keeps us from being a playoff team.

I'm no fan of Kelsay or Langston Walker; but admittedly we could do worse and they're not going to lose us games. I can't stand Robert Royal either, but his role nor any TE on this team isn't make-or-break.

The rest of the team is playoff-worth now.
* Losman to Evans is nearly as good as it gets.
* Lynch and Wright are going to be a sick "thunder and lightning" combo.
* I like our safeties.. alot
* Our DE's get after the quarterback.
* A lot of young talent, especially on the defensive side.
* A solid left side of the OL to build a ground game around.
* After talking to people who've been watching him closely, Poz is winning me over as a Middle linebacker.

Don't know if I should be excited that for 2008 we're only these three players away; or pissed at Ralph Wilson for not spending the money at these three spots to solidify the team NOW.

Mr. Miyagi
06-01-2007, 12:34 PM
3- A #2 WR who doesnt average 8.2 yards per catch (and Josh Reed isn't the answer either)
1 - What's a REAL DT? A big ass Pat Williams run clogger? Remember we're running Tampa 2, DTs need to be quick and shoot gaps, and their effectiveness is driven by a consistent pass rush. Hopefully with McCargo coming back, Schobel and Kelsay holding court, and our DBs maturing and covering better, our DTs can stop the run better.

2 - With another season under their belts I think this problem will solve itself.

3 - Legitimate concern. Hopefully Aaron Brown will step up to the plate.

Carlton Bailey
06-01-2007, 12:37 PM
1 - Agreed.

2 - Not worried. Great corners aren't a need in the T2. I think Youboty will be fine; he'd better be, at least.

3 - Again, not all that worried. How many teams have two great WRs? Find Evans most of the time -- he's your home-run threat -- and spread it around to the others for short yardage, and get Royal more involved. Having a dual threat like Lynch will help in the passing game too.

mikemac2001
06-01-2007, 01:00 PM
# 2 WR
Upgrade TE
Runstopping but also explosvie Gap hitting DT
Upgrade CB depth

Dont think were to far if JP shows progress

posted this 28th http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=1985226#post1985226

FlyingDutchman
06-01-2007, 01:00 PM
I hope McCargo and Youboty can fix two of those holes. I cant wait to see how they play. Its almost like we have 3 first round picks with McCargo not getting much time last year. I agree with needing a legit threat at #2.

mayotm
06-01-2007, 01:47 PM
OK. Who is using patmoran2006 user ID? This can't possibly be the person that normal posts under that name. I think I like this patmoran2006 much better. This one is almost a "homer".

feelthepain
06-01-2007, 02:01 PM

These are the only three things in my mind that keeps us from being a playoff team.

I'm no fan of Kelsay or Langston Walker; but admittedly we could do worse and they're not going to lose us games. I can't stand Robert Royal either, but his role nor any TE on this team isn't make-or-break.

The rest of the team is playoff-worth now.
* Losman to Evans is nearly as good as it gets.
* Lynch and Wright are going to be a sick "thunder and lightning" combo.
* I like our safeties.. alot
* Our DE's get after the quarterback.
* A lot of young talent, especially on the defensive side.
* A solid left side of the OL to build a ground game around.
* After talking to people who've been watching him closely, Poz is winning me over as a Middle linebacker.

Don't know if I should be excited that for 2008 we're only these three players away; or pissed at Ralph Wilson for not spending the money at these three spots to solidify the team NOW.

Wow.....

PECKERWOOD
06-01-2007, 03:12 PM
I don't think were as far away as some people believe. Alot is riding on the QB position this year, if Losman is to break out this season we could be a playoff calibre team. I don't think we have a shot at the Super Bowl but I still think we can catch the Wild Card spot.

camelcowboy
06-01-2007, 03:20 PM
A good number 2 reciever or a stud tightend
Webster and Mcgee will be the starters opening day. Webster is good he just needs to stay healthy. Webster i think will be a steal for the bills. I like Youboty much better at a nickel gives him more time to develop.
I think in the end they will need a upgrade at center, Fowler is average imo.

alohabillsfan
06-02-2007, 06:57 AM
Been there done that!

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=127891

henrybacker
06-02-2007, 06:57 AM
3 - Again, not all that worried. How many teams have two great WRs?

-wow

Don't Panic
06-02-2007, 07:15 AM
CB had it right... the DT positiuon is the one that needs to be cleared up, whether through a player already on the roster or someone coming from the next wave of cuts or a trade. I really feel comfortable with every other area on this team, whether it be where they already are or where they project to be in the next year. The #2 receiver thing should take care of itself with more development from Losman and an improved line, and I am a believer in Youboty from day one, especially in this system. I'd say the other area I worry about is LB, but I think its pretty safe to assume Ellison can play at or above the level he did last year, and that should suffice for now. Ideally, though, I would have liked to see that position upgraded. There's a lot of pressure on Lynch and Pos, but I think they'll handle it relatively well. No one's talking SB this year, but we're setting ourselves up for a run in the near future.

patmoran2006
06-02-2007, 08:04 AM
Good point about LB.

Depth is a big concern.. That's probably our thinnest spot on the team.

Id safety safety depth is real thin too, but I think Wendling is going to be good.

HHURRICANE
06-02-2007, 08:23 AM

I think you are wrong and here's why:

1) If McCargo and Walker show up we're fine. Remember that Hargrove is a hybrid and will help out as well.

2) I think our secondary, in general, will be strong after a few games this year. If we get pressure on the QB than will be fine. If we don't it doesn't matter who's sitting back there.

3) Although a #2 WR would be a huge addition for us I don't see it stopping us from getting to the playoffs.

Here's my three:

1) LB. I don't care how well Poz plays as a rookie I don't see Ellison-Crowell-Poz as being better than Fletcher-Crowell-Spikes. We could have used another key vet back there.

2) DE. Sorry but I've watched the Kelsay/Denney experiment long enough to know that this isn't the answer. We needed a dominant pass rusher that might actually get a double team once in a while. Take Miami out of our division and see how many sacks these two get.

3) LB (again). Yep, because if Poz, Crowell or Ellison get's hurt we are screwed for the entire rest of the season. That doesn't scare anybody?

Tatonka
06-03-2007, 06:16 PM
dt - mccargo and walker will be great.

cb - youboty and webster will be excellent cbs 2 and 3.

wr - reed.. breakout season.

add TE - Everett 40 catches for 500 yards and 6 tds.

We will be this years Saints. mark it down.

you guys should have some of this koolaid.

:couch:

SquishDaFish
06-03-2007, 09:48 PM
Ill drink that koolaid Tatonka