• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WG
    Drew and Sam stole all my hair
    • Jul 2002

Seau here in Buffalo?

Think about it!

He'll likely not get a ton of bucks. I'm sure he could make the adjustment to SLB in a second. LOL

He's gotta be better than Posey no matter how good either are at this point. I can't imagine that he'd cost much more given his age, lack of speed relatively speaking, and injury risk.

Such a signing would allow him to play for a team that actually has a shot at winning the big one this year which is what he wants. He's got experience, lockerroom presence, hits hard regardless of how fast he still is, and he wouldn't be counted on to "be the man" here which would be perfect for his career at this point.

PLUS, we play S.D. in Buffalo this season!

I'm not saying we should try to get him via trade. Just wait the Chargers out. No one is gonna trade anything significant for him. If they want a 5th rounder or up, fine. But other than that, they won't get much. Plus, since they've essentially burned the bridge there, they'll be forced to cut him once June 1st rolls around.

Seau may very well take less money to play for what is shaping up to be the AFC's leading contender this year!

I say sign him for $2-2.5 M in a S/T, 3-4 yr. deal, and start him making Posey a backup. That'll give us depth, an outstanding starting LB corps, and some injury protection. I'm just not sold on Posey, "Mr. 1 good year in 6".

Thoughts?
    Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

• clumping platelets

You wanna give Seau $10 million over 4yrs?????? He's 34 y/o

Congrats to wys, the latest graduate of the John Butler "School of Capology"

1 yr vets minimum

Comment

• JefftheBillsfan
      • Jul 2002

whats his cap hit if we do trade him for say a #3?
      Its all about the quest.

Comment

• Ebenezer
        Give me a minute...
        • Jul 2002

TD will never trade for him...force SD's hand and make them release Seau...I could go for a 2 year deal...$2 mil.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Wys Guy
          • Jul 2002

#3 is too high.

CP, He may get a 4 yr., $10M contract, but I'm sure it would be low bonus and backloaded. No one except for the team that just cut him is gonna give him Peterson type money or close to it.

While your point is valid, we just signed a guy who did NOTHING for 5 full seasons before posting a so-so season in a situation where the sun was shining righ up his butt to near a $7M contract over 4 years!

So given that, Yeah, I'd still take Seau for $2.5M this season. I would think that a contract where we actually pay him $2 - 2.5M/yr. for 2-3 years would be worth it.

All this hype over Posey, a player w/ barely any credentials at all and then talking about Seau, a what, 11, 12 time probowler w/ intangibles coming out the wazoo, as if he's washed up!

I think Posey's gonna be the weak link of our D quite frankly. I wasn't anywhere close to impressed w/ that signing and I wish we could take it back. Either way, we have some cap bucks, unless everything knows that Posey is the answer at SLB, then I would suggest that such a move would "cover our bases."

I think he would sign for less than $2M w/ the right team. But I don't see him getting less than a LB like Posey got. And if he does, then it simply shows that that Posey signing was even more ludicrous.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
            TD will never trade for him...force SD's hand and make them release Seau...I could go for a 2 year deal...$2 mil.
            Yeah, I agree Eb!

I might dish off a 6th or 7th to ensure getting him, but even that would be questionable. I also think he'll be cut outright and go for around $2M. Some team may try to overpay him however. I just think that Seau, from what I've heard about him, would rather play for a decent GM w/ a decent city and decent fans and I'm guessing that getting a SB ring is gonna be in the front of his mind now that he's realized he's not gonna be on the Chargers any longer.

If we could sign Adams and Seau, I'd be ecstatic!

We could try and grab a speed DE in the draft, sign another WR, and we'd be set.

I'm not as hard on Prioleau as many are. He's still young and has only started one season. I'd like to see him in his second as starter and with an actual defense in front of him instead of the secondary being the first, secondary, and third line of defense for us!

Wire, same thing. Lynch didn't step up until his 3rd or 4th season. I think Wire will be significantly improved w/ a D in front of him and in his second year.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Ebenezer
              Give me a minute...
              • Jul 2002

Wys, Seau is 34...he is not going to sign a back loaded deal...he will want the money up front. Also, SD is almost a playoff team. Why would they let Seau go so easily?? Simply caponomics?? I don't think so. They may know that he is done.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Doc
                • Dec 2002

Seau is in decline and wants to stay on the West Coast, presumably because of the weather. As for Posey, he had 9 sacks last year in 16 games and 9 starts. I like his upside a lot more than Seau's who is all downside at this point.

Comment

• Wys Guy
                  • Jul 2002

Well, I didn't watch him that closely this fall. But he can't be all that done. I'm sure for the money he was scheduled to make he may have been done. But I just refuse to believe that Posey would be better than Seau, even if Seau is only 75% of what he used to be. He used to be the best or among the few best LBs in the league. We're not talking a LB like Newman here.

We're also talking SLB, not MLB or WLB.

As to what Seau will want, who cares. Just like w/ Adams, it's not what they want that matters, it's what teams are willing to pay them. Seau missed the cap boat. Adams is a greedy fool.

Peterson got only $21M for 6 years and is likely to be there for all 6 and he plays WLB and is just entering his prime. There is no way on earth that Seau is gonna even approach that kind of money unless some team totally overpays him. So I'm thinkin' easily $1M less than that and possibly more, perhaps Posey like money.

I mean honestly, who would you rather see at the SLB spot, Posey or Seau, at least for a season or two?

There is absolutely no guarantee that Posey will even match Newman's performances in our D which the coaching staff deemed grossly inadequate.

Say what you will, sure Seau's lost some speed, but he still hits hard and has plenty of experience. I'm not saying sign him sight unseen, but I do think that we should consider bringing him if for a workout and physical. He'll have plenty of motivation, he's never been a head case, and if there's any way at all for him to return to some semblance of his former form, then you can be assured that he'll do it.

I just think that perhaps a switch to the SLB spot may be what ails him and what will help him extend his career. I'm sure he wouldn't mind not being the man now. He's had a fulfilling career.

You gotta remember that Posey, no matter what you thought of the deal, is a risk. There's absolutely no guarantee that he'll play as he did last year in a completely different scheme and there's an equal or greater risk that he'll play like he did in the 5 seasons prior when he did nothing worthy of note.

If that were to happen, then we'd have a huge hole to fill as the situation currently exists!

Bringing in Seau would be low risk given our cap situation and the upside is big. Big enough to take the chance IMO. Either way, we'd have an experienced vet, a hard hitter, at minimum some depth or "flexibility", a stand-up guy, a fan favorite, a former SB player and an all-around excellent LB.

Sure, it'd be a risk! But you tellin' me that signing Posey to start wasn't? I'd say the greater risk lies w/ Posey!

Assuming we could get Seau for Posey money, and assuming that he'd pass a physical, then I'd sign him in 2 seconds. If I had to guess, I'd say Seau will go for half to two-thirds of Peterson money. That's Posey money on the low end, and ~ $2.4M on the top end.

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Doc
                    Seau is in decline and wants to stay on the West Coast, presumably because of the weather. As for Posey, he had 9 sacks last year in 16 games and 9 starts. I like his upside a lot more than Seau's who is all downside at this point.
                    Sure, under ideal conditions:

A 3-4
                    on a team w/ very solid defensive talent
                    an O that had by far the worst time-of-possession in the league by a wide margin leaving the D on the field to accrue more stats

How 'bout posting what Posey did in the 5 seasons prior to last year?

What about those? I'm sure there's some reason to dismiss all those...

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Originally posted by clumping platelets
                      Congrats to wys, the latest graduate of the John Butler "School of Capology"

Comment

• Fat Tony
                        • Sep 2002

Posey would be worth the money as a special teams demon. He led the 49ers in ST tackles a few seasons

Comment

• Fairway To Green
                          • Jul 2002

No thanks on Seau. Unless he comes at vet min or slightly more.

Comment

• Tatonka
                            • Jul 2002

seau said he has no interest in playing for green bay.. he specifically said he wants to stay on the west coast. there is zero chance of him coming here.. so lets drop it.
                            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• SoCalBillsFan
                              Expert on Experts
                              • Jul 2002

Wys I think you make some excellent points, and I had been thinking the same thing. I know the chances of him coming here are very low, but it would do ton for our defense. Our depth would be increased tremendously, plus posey becomes less of a gamble. heck we could even platoon posey and seau. And one thing seau loves to do is get to the QB on third down. It would add another demension and increase our LB depth. Seau could step in at all three LB spots if someone got injured. I think it would be a great move if he came cheap enough

Comment

Working...
                              X