PDA

View Full Version : Seau here in Buffalo?

WG
03-15-2003, 09:55 AM
Think about it!

He'll likely not get a ton of bucks. I'm sure he could make the adjustment to SLB in a second. LOL

He's gotta be better than Posey no matter how good either are at this point. I can't imagine that he'd cost much more given his age, lack of speed relatively speaking, and injury risk.

Such a signing would allow him to play for a team that actually has a shot at winning the big one this year which is what he wants. He's got experience, lockerroom presence, hits hard regardless of how fast he still is, and he wouldn't be counted on to "be the man" here which would be perfect for his career at this point.

PLUS, we play S.D. in Buffalo this season! :D

I'm not saying we should try to get him via trade. Just wait the Chargers out. No one is gonna trade anything significant for him. If they want a 5th rounder or up, fine. But other than that, they won't get much. Plus, since they've essentially burned the bridge there, they'll be forced to cut him once June 1st rolls around.

Seau may very well take less money to play for what is shaping up to be the AFC's leading contender this year!

I say sign him for $2-2.5 M in a S/T, 3-4 yr. deal, and start him making Posey a backup. That'll give us depth, an outstanding starting LB corps, and some injury protection. I'm just not sold on Posey, "Mr. 1 good year in 6".

Thoughts?

clumping platelets
03-15-2003, 10:05 AM
You wanna give Seau $10 million over 4yrs?????? He's 34 y/o

Congrats to wys, the latest graduate of the John Butler "School of Capology"

:snicker:

1 yr vets minimum

JefftheBillsfan
03-15-2003, 10:06 AM
whats his cap hit if we do trade him for say a #3?

Ebenezer
03-15-2003, 10:09 AM
TD will never trade for him...force SD's hand and make them release Seau...I could go for a 2 year deal...$2 mil.

WG
03-15-2003, 10:13 AM
#3 is too high.

CP, He may get a 4 yr., $10M contract, but I'm sure it would be low bonus and backloaded. No one except for the team that just cut him is gonna give him Peterson type money or close to it.

While your point is valid, we just signed a guy who did NOTHING for 5 full seasons before posting a so-so season in a situation where the sun was shining righ up his butt to near a $7M contract over 4 years!

So given that, Yeah, I'd still take Seau for $2.5M this season. I would think that a contract where we actually pay him $2 - 2.5M/yr. for 2-3 years would be worth it.

All this hype over Posey, a player w/ barely any credentials at all and then talking about Seau, a what, 11, 12 time probowler w/ intangibles coming out the wazoo, as if he's washed up!

I think Posey's gonna be the weak link of our D quite frankly. I wasn't anywhere close to impressed w/ that signing and I wish we could take it back. Either way, we have some cap bucks, unless everything knows that Posey is the answer at SLB, then I would suggest that such a move would "cover our bases."

I think he would sign for less than $2M w/ the right team. But I don't see him getting less than a LB like Posey got. And if he does, then it simply shows that that Posey signing was even more ludicrous.

WG
03-15-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
TD will never trade for him...force SD's hand and make them release Seau...I could go for a 2 year deal...$2 mil.

Yeah, I agree Eb!

I might dish off a 6th or 7th to ensure getting him, but even that would be questionable. I also think he'll be cut outright and go for around $2M. Some team may try to overpay him however. I just think that Seau, from what I've heard about him, would rather play for a decent GM w/ a decent city and decent fans and I'm guessing that getting a SB ring is gonna be in the front of his mind now that he's realized he's not gonna be on the Chargers any longer.

If we could sign Adams and Seau, I'd be ecstatic!

We could try and grab a speed DE in the draft, sign another WR, and we'd be set.

I'm not as hard on Prioleau as many are. He's still young and has only started one season. I'd like to see him in his second as starter and with an actual defense in front of him instead of the secondary being the first, secondary, and third line of defense for us!

Wire, same thing. Lynch didn't step up until his 3rd or 4th season. I think Wire will be significantly improved w/ a D in front of him and in his second year.

Ebenezer
03-15-2003, 10:19 AM
Wys, Seau is 34...he is not going to sign a back loaded deal...he will want the money up front. Also, SD is almost a playoff team. Why would they let Seau go so easily?? Simply caponomics?? I don't think so. They may know that he is done.

Doc
03-15-2003, 10:33 AM
Seau is in decline and wants to stay on the West Coast, presumably because of the weather. As for Posey, he had 9 sacks last year in 16 games and 9 starts. I like his upside a lot more than Seau's who is all downside at this point.

WG
03-15-2003, 10:37 AM
Well, I didn't watch him that closely this fall. But he can't be all that done. I'm sure for the money he was scheduled to make he may have been done. But I just refuse to believe that Posey would be better than Seau, even if Seau is only 75% of what he used to be. He used to be the best or among the few best LBs in the league. We're not talking a LB like Newman here.

We're also talking SLB, not MLB or WLB.

As to what Seau will want, who cares. Just like w/ Adams, it's not what they want that matters, it's what teams are willing to pay them. Seau missed the cap boat. Adams is a greedy fool.

Peterson got only $21M for 6 years and is likely to be there for all 6 and he plays WLB and is just entering his prime. There is no way on earth that Seau is gonna even approach that kind of money unless some team totally overpays him. So I'm thinkin' easily $1M less than that and possibly more, perhaps Posey like money.

I mean honestly, who would you rather see at the SLB spot, Posey or Seau, at least for a season or two?

There is absolutely no guarantee that Posey will even match Newman's performances in our D which the coaching staff deemed grossly inadequate.

Say what you will, sure Seau's lost some speed, but he still hits hard and has plenty of experience. I'm not saying sign him sight unseen, but I do think that we should consider bringing him if for a workout and physical. He'll have plenty of motivation, he's never been a head case, and if there's any way at all for him to return to some semblance of his former form, then you can be assured that he'll do it.

I just think that perhaps a switch to the SLB spot may be what ails him and what will help him extend his career. I'm sure he wouldn't mind not being the man now. He's had a fulfilling career.

You gotta remember that Posey, no matter what you thought of the deal, is a risk. There's absolutely no guarantee that he'll play as he did last year in a completely different scheme and there's an equal or greater risk that he'll play like he did in the 5 seasons prior when he did nothing worthy of note.

If that were to happen, then we'd have a huge hole to fill as the situation currently exists!

Bringing in Seau would be low risk given our cap situation and the upside is big. Big enough to take the chance IMO. Either way, we'd have an experienced vet, a hard hitter, at minimum some depth or "flexibility", a stand-up guy, a fan favorite, a former SB player and an all-around excellent LB.

Sure, it'd be a risk! But you tellin' me that signing Posey to start wasn't? I'd say the greater risk lies w/ Posey!

Assuming we could get Seau for Posey money, and assuming that he'd pass a physical, then I'd sign him in 2 seconds. If I had to guess, I'd say Seau will go for half to two-thirds of Peterson money. That's Posey money on the low end, and ~ $2.4M on the top end.

WG
03-15-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Doc
Seau is in decline and wants to stay on the West Coast, presumably because of the weather. As for Posey, he had 9 sacks last year in 16 games and 9 starts. I like his upside a lot more than Seau's who is all downside at this point.

Sure, under ideal conditions:

A 3-4
on a team w/ very solid defensive talent
an O that had by far the worst time-of-possession in the league by a wide margin leaving the D on the field to accrue more stats

How 'bout posting what Posey did in the 5 seasons prior to last year?

What about those? I'm sure there's some reason to dismiss all those...

:D

ArcticWildMan
03-15-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by clumping platelets
Congrats to wys, the latest graduate of the John Butler "School of Capology"

:lol:

Fat Tony
03-15-2003, 11:18 AM
Posey would be worth the money as a special teams demon. He led the 49ers in ST tackles a few seasons

Novacane
03-15-2003, 11:21 AM
No thanks on Seau. Unless he comes at vet min or slightly more.

Tatonka
03-15-2003, 11:34 AM
seau said he has no interest in playing for green bay.. he specifically said he wants to stay on the west coast. there is zero chance of him coming here.. so lets drop it.

SoCalBillsFan
03-15-2003, 11:44 AM
Wys I think you make some excellent points, and I had been thinking the same thing. I know the chances of him coming here are very low, but it would do ton for our defense. Our depth would be increased tremendously, plus posey becomes less of a gamble. heck we could even platoon posey and seau. And one thing seau loves to do is get to the QB on third down. It would add another demension and increase our LB depth. Seau could step in at all three LB spots if someone got injured. I think it would be a great move if he came cheap enough

Billz_fan
03-15-2003, 12:47 PM
Unless he were dirt cheap, I don't think the Bills need him otherwise.

It's not in TD's MO to sign a player like this IMO.

ublinkwescore
03-15-2003, 01:52 PM
He's gonna end up a Raider, or a Cardinal.

That's my prediction.

Doc
03-15-2003, 02:58 PM
"How 'bout posting what Posey did in the 5 seasons prior to last year?"

What difference does that make? What did Price do in his first 3 seasons? What did Colvin do in his 1st 2 seasons? However HE had the benefit of a team that stuck with him through his transformation from college DE to NFL LB. Posey had no such chance until last year. I checked the stats and Posey had 9 sacks (they list him as having 8, but I checked NFL.com's gamebooks and they list him as having 8 full sacks and 2-0.5 sacks, which the play-by-plays confirm), 61 total tackles, 2 forced fumbles, 6 passes defensed, and an INT, in 9 starts and 16 games played. You don't just get 9 sacks by accident, especially when someone else is getting the start over you in almost half the games of the season.

RedEyE
03-15-2003, 02:58 PM
WE DON'T NEED HIM. We have London Fletcher, Takeo Spikes, and Posey as starters. Robinson (if not cut) and Spoon as depth. Why would you want to load up on LBs ? Spread money like that around to the more strained positions, such as the DL. Donahoe probably never even consider looking at Seau. If your willing to give a 34 Seau $10 mill over 4 years, just pay Adams the stinking $5 mill he is asking for. And while GW and Gray are still coaches in Buffalo you will never see the Bills D change to a 3-4. Not going to happen. I can appreciate the idea, but no.

Herdwatcher
03-15-2003, 03:50 PM
Seau is not what the team needs right now, the linebacker corps is a young group of starters on their way up! Not sitting on the bench waiting for Junior to get hurt or need a breather. Fletcher, Spikes, Posey and Spoon, not to mention the rest that are on the team as back-ups. We have starters, the team needs to find quality back-ups at this point. We still need a plug in the middle on the defensive line yet.

SABURZFAN
03-16-2003, 12:23 AM
we don't need him.

WG
03-16-2003, 12:56 AM
Maybe, but since I'm a bettin' man, I'd wager any of y'all that you're not gonna be satisfied w/ Posey's performance this fall. I'll wager you that he was more of a one-year wonder than this super WLB that most of you seem to think he is.

If he's really that great, then it wouldn't have taken 6 seasons to break out. So we'll see whether he's gonna be all that or not.

WG
03-16-2003, 12:56 AM
I'll even wager that wherever Seau lands, he'll post better numbers than Posey too.

Everyone said exactly the same thing about Robinson last year too and now you're all calling for him to be cut!

RedEyE
03-16-2003, 01:28 AM
Sure he will Wys. I wouldn't expect anything less of Seau. I just don't think we need him man. LB is no longer a priority. The money needs to go elsewhere.

mush69
03-16-2003, 06:05 AM
There is no way on earth that Seau is gonna even approach that kind of money unless some team totally overpays him.

Does D. Snyder stiil own the Redskins or did he give it away in one of his outrageous deals! He would spend that kind of money if he had to!

WG
03-16-2003, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by RedEyE
Sure he will Wys. I wouldn't expect anything less of Seau. I just don't think we need him man. LB is no longer a priority. The money needs to go elsewhere.

You're missing my point RE. Sure, right now it's no longer an issue/priority, LB that is, on paper, but if Posey turns out to not be as good as we thought he was, and all of a sudden Marcus Jones doesn't turn out, then we may have issues on one side and then we'd be hopin' that we had a solution.

All I'm sayin' is that for the same type of bucks I'd rather see Seau in there, even if only for a year or two. The only way Posey turns out better than Seau for only a year or two is if he plays well enough such that we don't have to replace him in a year or two. Otherwise it will have made more sense to sign Seau, even at a reduced performance level.

I realize he ain't comin' here. This was just a "ho-hum nothing to do" thread start. :D I would rather have Seau for a season or two however and worry about an SLB later, either next season or the draft.

WG
03-16-2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by mush69

Does D. Snyder stiil own the Redskins or did he give it away in one of his outrageous deals! He would spend that kind of money if he had to!

Oh yeah, sorry mush, but if I'm not mistaken, the Skins are already in trouble for not having the cap room to sign Coles whom the signed to an enormous offer sheet. No matter how foolish you are, you can only spend so much in one offseason and Snyder's been the leading spender by far to date. The Skins are done barring some June 1st stuff.

Doc
03-16-2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
I'll even wager that wherever Seau lands, he'll post better numbers than Posey too.

Everyone said exactly the same thing about Robinson last year too and now you're all calling for him to be cut!

First off, I'll take your bet(s). Call it a hunch, but I think Posey is ready to ascend while Seau is ready for retirement, with the Raiders most likely. Second of all, people thought Robinson would be an upgrade over Foreman (not saying much), but his skills declined so markedly between 2001 and last year that no one could have seen that coming. That's the risk you take with older players, and Posey isn't old.

WG
03-16-2003, 08:38 AM
I saw it coming Doc. I ranted about how Robinson was washed up. Am I special, or did I perhaps just pay attention as I watched a bunch of Titans games w/ my bud who is a huge Titans fan? I also had the foresight to ask him how good Robinson was and he said the same thing. The reason the Titans let him walk was for exactly that reason, his performance had tapered off dramatically. So to say that "no one could have seen that coming" is incorrect. In fact, I did see it coming.

As to Seau, I'm not saying the guy would post probowl numbers, but I am saying he still has quite a bit of worth. I assume he'll post average numbers. Where everyone is erring on Posey is by assuming as you are, that all of a sudden he's gonna easily match or outdo last season's numbers when a very similar LB, namely Newman, didn't do it on this team w/ this scheme last year. Houston also likes Newman better. What does that tell you? Is Capers an idiot?

I think we'll probably see 3-4 sacks out of Posey and he'll be mediocre overall. I just can't dismiss 5 prior seasons of essentially no contributions at all from a player who was never even drafted.

He certainly won't be on the field for nearly as long as he was last year b/c our offense is so diametrical to Houston's that the D won't have the league's worst ToP.

I'll take your wager. Let's see where Seau ends up and what position he plays. Then we'll come to a criteria. And if Posey doesn't play b/c he doesn't earn a position, then that's part of it too. How many ZBs would you care to wager?

WG
03-16-2003, 08:39 AM
BTW, even injured and playing in only 13 games last season, Seau still managed to post significantly better tackle numbers.

Doc
03-16-2003, 09:15 AM
I wasn't one of the people high on Robinson. I thought he'd be a good teacher but his age and the fact that the Titans let him go as you said, were major concerns. Still I thought he'd do better than he did, which was lousy.

As for Newman, who knows what his problems were? I read that the Bills put him in position to make plays like he used to and it didn't materialize. In any case, Capers wasn't too impressed with him because Atlanta got him. With the addition of LeBeau, a great defensive mind, and Blackmon, who is considered an excellent LB coach, I think they'll devise ways to use Posey effectively. If that means being used as a situational pass rusher, so be it.

Last of all, we'll make it a gentlemen's bet. ZB's are of no use to me.

kgun12
03-16-2003, 10:03 AM
I'm lazy today, so I'll make this short.

HELL NO!!!