PDA

View Full Version : I am starting to warm up to Webster

Tatonka
06-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Does anyone have any faith in him? or am I just being too optimistic?

After reading about him the past few days steadily moving up the depth chart, I started thinking about it.

If the kid was never in atlanta, and we signed him straight out of his time with san fran, we would all be pretty excited and expect him to be the starter. He was given a large contract because he was considered to be an up and coming player who had yet to reach his potential, but was on his way.

Is there any chance that atlanta just has awful secondary coaches or a bad defensive scheme? It seems like everyone in their secondary sucks every year, other than Hall, who was a first round pick..

I don't know. I have high hopes for him. I think we could have a strong nickle back at worst.

flame away.

BuffaloBillsStampede
06-01-2007, 06:56 PM
I think hes a solid player until we can upgrade next year.

Night Train
06-01-2007, 07:00 PM
He'll get beat for 1 in the opener and 70 posters will throw him under the bus.

Mitchy moo
06-01-2007, 07:11 PM

69, i'll way until game 2's mistake to bury him.

TigerJ
06-01-2007, 09:39 PM
I actually like the cornerback situation of the Bills. Webster is capable of starting. I think his presence will make Youboty work that much harder. Greer has allegedly put on enough extra muscle to address some of his past shortcomings, And Riley Swanson looks like he could be a depth player. All in all it looks pretty competitive. There's no Nate Clements in the group, but in theory Buffalo doesn't need a Nate Clements with the Tampa 2. All they really need are CBs who can play a zone with some discipline and not get suckered. The real question with this defense, that is not going to be answered for a while yet, is can they stop the run.

DraftBoy
06-01-2007, 09:46 PM
If the kid was never in atlanta, and we signed him straight out of his time with san fran, we would all be pretty excited and expect him to be the starter. He was given a large contract because he was considered to be an up and coming player who had yet to reach his potential, but was on his way.

Thats very Wysian logic there

take away part of his career and have a different outlook on him??

Trust me I saw Webster every Sunday here in Atlanta he was horrendous. He was hurt alot too. I pray he turns it around, he was worse than DeAngelo Falls.

Tatonka
06-01-2007, 10:45 PM
Thats very Wysian logic there

take away part of his career and have a different outlook on him??

Trust me I saw Webster every Sunday here in Atlanta he was horrendous. He was hurt alot too. I pray he turns it around, he was worse than DeAngelo Falls.

damn you, DB.. dont make that comparison please. :mad:

i wasnt trying to make it sound like that.. my point was simply that why is it that he looked better and better in san fran.. i mean clearly he looked to be worth a large deal that he got.. why is it that everyone sucks in atlantas secondary.. no matter what, they all just suck? i dont get it.. i mean hall is overrated, and has been since vtech.. but both safeties suck balls too.. i was simply stating.. could it possibly be that the defensive system sucks there or that the secondary coach is just not good?

clearly for the first 4 years of his career, he looked to be worth the 2nd round pick they spent on him.. why is it he went from good to suck overnight?

DraftBoy
06-01-2007, 10:46 PM
damn you, DB.. dont make that comparison please. :mad:

i wasnt trying to make it sound like that.. my point was simply that why is it that he looked better and better in san fran.. i mean clearly he looked to be worth a large deal that he got.. why is it that everyone sucks in atlantas secondary.. no matter what, they all just suck? i dont get it.. i mean hall is overrated, and has been since vtech.. but both safeties suck balls too.. i was simply stating.. could it possibly be that the defensive system sucks there or that the secondary coach is just not good?

clearly for the first 4 years of his career, he looked to be worth the 2nd round pick they spent on him.. why is it he went from good to suck overnight?

I got your point T, but you know I cant help but give you a good ribbing from time to time

Tatonka
06-01-2007, 10:56 PM
:chair:

Tatonka
06-01-2007, 10:57 PM
you should be an expert on atlanta though.. do you think there is any merit to ANY of what i said?

Michael82
06-02-2007, 02:04 AM
He did play in a cover 2 defense in San Fran. And IMO seemed to fit much better there. I don't believe that he can go from being a pretty good CB to a piece of ****, that fast. No way.

feldspar
06-02-2007, 06:08 AM

Is there any chance that atlanta just has awful secondary coaches or a bad defensive scheme?

Peeless Price was supposed to be a huge up-and-comer when he went to Atlanta, too. Atlanta seems to have a way of knocking players down. Maybe it has something to do with all the dog fighting going on there. That'll totally mess you up.

madness
06-02-2007, 08:05 AM
He did play in a cover 2 defense in San Fran. And IMO seemed to fit much better there. I don't believe that he can go from being a pretty good CB to a piece of ****, that fast. No way.
That's the key right there Mikey. As far as secondary responsibilities, Atlanta liked to bring their safeties up in the box forcing their corners to cover deep. SF played Cover 2 like you said, so the corners had more over the top help. I recall Milloy saying he loved ATL when he signed since he could play in the box more. It looks like even he knew his cover skills were suspect. in Buffalo.

Webster's durability should be our only concern, but if he can stay healthy... I see no reason why he wouldn't lock down the starting position if AY isn't ready.

Luisito23
06-02-2007, 08:23 AM
I have high hopes for him.

So do I....Good thread T...:drunks:....

GO BILLS!!!!!

patmoran2006
06-02-2007, 08:27 AM
Personally, I think he's a scrub.

When a team has a young starter under contract, and he's THAT bad that the team uses not one but two draft picks at corner (Chris Houston, David Irons) it shows what they think of his ability.

Having said that, I'm willing to give him a chance. It's not the other corners on this team have proven anything. Every now and then, a player goes to a new team, changes his game and becomes productive.

But sorry, he has last year's Tutan Reyes and/or Matt Bowens written all over him--- former starters that are just not good enough.

ParanoidAndroid
06-02-2007, 08:47 AM
He can't be as bad as Clifford Hicks was. :ill:

John Doe
06-02-2007, 10:04 AM
But sorry, he has last year's Tutan Reyes and/or Matt Bowens written all over him--- former starters that are just not good enough.

Maybe he has last year's Kiwaukee Thomas written all over him - a guy with plenty of experience who can be used effectively.

Earthquake Enyart
06-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Personally it scares me that they pick a guy up off the street and he's the starter.

DraftBoy
06-02-2007, 10:55 AM
you should be an expert on atlanta though.. do you think there is any merit to ANY of what i said?

Webster was the definition of disaster here. We run a similar Cover 2 version to SF but our safeties are putrid. Milloy cant cover the range he used to, and the Chris Crocker experiment blew up in our faces (thanks FunTimes, could of saved us a pick). So its hard to say if how bad Webster was is all on him, but there were many times that he was up in press coverage and got beat down by the opposing wideout. Also he was consistently ran past and bit many times on double fakes. He had poor recognition skills, and poor technique. He was the picked on corner, till everybody realized DeAngelo Hall isnt a good corner either, and his interceptions all come off tipped passes. Hence his new name DeAngelo Falls. Webster may have been trying to over compensate for poor safety play, but his play was some of the worst Ive ever seen out of a starting CB. Combine that with the fact that he never could get healthy and stay healthy and its a very risky signing imo.

G. Host
06-02-2007, 11:36 AM

Yeah but 10 of them will be same persion with different aliases.

streetkings01
06-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Webster was the definition of disaster here. We run a similar Cover 2 version to SF but our safeties are putrid. Milloy cant cover the range he used to, and the Chris Crocker experiment blew up in our faces (thanks FunTimes, could of saved us a pick). So its hard to say if how bad Webster was is all on him, but there were many times that he was up in press coverage and got beat down by the opposing wideout. Also he was consistently ran past and bit many times on double fakes. He had poor recognition skills, and poor technique. He was the picked on corner, till everybody realized DeAngelo Hall isnt a good corner either, and his interceptions all come off tipped passes. Hence his new name DeAngelo Falls. Webster may have been trying to over compensate for poor safety play, but his play was some of the worst Ive ever seen out of a starting CB. Combine that with the fact that he never could get healthy and stay healthy and its a very risky signing imo.A 1 year deal with no cap hit if he is cut, is a risky deal?

patmoran2006
06-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Maybe he has last year's Kiwaukee Thomas written all over him - a guy with plenty of experience who can be used effectively.
What is your definition of effective?

Is it a guy who's never had an interception in his NFL career? Is it a guy who couldn't even stick around a team with a much maligned and depleted secretary (Miami)? Is it a guy who had all of 5 passes defended last year?

Kiwi Thomas is a 4th or 5th corner on almost any team in the league. He's at worst a nickel and probably a starter here; not because he's a good corner, but because we have nobody else.

That being said, I dont have a problem with Webster being brought in, because it is a no'-risk contract.

John Doe
06-02-2007, 02:19 PM
What is your definition of effective?

Is it a guy who's never had an interception in his NFL career? Is it a guy who couldn't even stick around a team with a much maligned and depleted secretary (Miami)? Is it a guy who had all of 5 passes defended last year?

Kiwi Thomas is a 4th or 5th corner on almost any team in the league. He's at worst a nickel and probably a starter here; not because he's a good corner, but because we have nobody else.

That being said, I dont have a problem with Webster being brought in, because it is a no'-risk contract.

Thomas had 42 tackles and 6 pass breakups last year in limited duty at a low contract price. He was definately an assest to the team.

I think that he was a very effective use of the team's resources.

Tatonka
06-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Personally, I think he's a scrub.

wow.. huge surprise there.

raphael120
06-02-2007, 09:00 PM
I think Webster brings more to the table than Kiwi does...and if anything he's just a temp guy til he ends up getting injured (AGAIN) and gives Youboty enough time to prepare to start

SABURZFAN
06-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Does anyone have any faith in him? or am I just being too optimistic?

After reading about him the past few days steadily moving up the depth chart

what has he done to steadily move up the depth charts?

ShadowHawk7
06-03-2007, 10:31 PM
Thomas reminded me of a poor man's Winfield last year.

Usually solid in coverage
Very able in run support
Hands are inconsistent at best and doesn't have the instincts to intercept often

I saw him drop exactly 3 balls last year that hit him in both hands.
That being said, he was a decent nickel, but him starting would worry me and would say a lot about Webster, Youboty and Greer.

I am really hoping Greer or Webster or even Youboty can pull it together and start over KT.

DraftBoy
06-04-2007, 08:06 AM
A 1 year deal with no cap hit if he is cut, is a risky deal?

Im not worried about the cap implications as much as I am about the false assurances both the fans and coaches may have in Webster to come in and work here. I have 0 faith in his abilities anymore.

Earthquake Enyart
06-04-2007, 08:16 AM
what has he done to steadily move up the depth charts?
He can walk and chew gum at the same time.

EDS
06-04-2007, 08:44 AM

Happened to Peerless Price that fast.

Webster is a question mark until he proves otherwise on Sundays.

Romes
06-05-2007, 12:31 PM
looks like Webster is really trying to nail down that RCB spot...

WEBSTER WORK ETHIC: If anyone was wondering about the Jason Webster work ethic, this may shed a little more light on it. After practice today Webster had Trent Edwards throw passes in a general area of the field and Webster working as a cornerback tried to make plays on the ball to work on his ball skills. Edwards worked with Webster for about a half hour straight after practice and easily threw about 50-60 passes. It was encouraging to see knowing how important that right cornerback spot is in terms of filling it in training camp. ---

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=1493