Fletch to be missed more than you'll admit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Fletch to be missed more than you'll admit.

You know, I can certainly buy into fans being excited about some of the young talent on this team. As long as Wilson does the right thing over the next few off-seasons, this team could be solid for the forseeable future.
    But what really gets under my skin is the way Fletcher was dissed when he left, and how "overated" he suddenly became.

To say this team won't miss FLetcher over the next 1-2 years is absolutely idiotic. They'll miss Clements obviously, but paying that contract would be dumb. But they should've kept Fletcher, even if they drafted Poz as well.
    Look at these numbers.. Still don't think Fletcher will be missed?

* More than half of our total team interceptions last season (13) were made by Fletcher (4) and Clements (3)

* We ran back two interceptions for TD's last season. One was by Fletcher. The other one? By Clements

* People say FLetcher made all his tackles 7-yards down the field. Maybe so, but guess who led the team in tackles for losses last season? Nope, not a defensive linemen like it should be. It was London Fletcher (5).

* Fletcher had more passes defended in coverage last year than any Buffalo Bill on the team except for.. Nate Clements. Fletch (14) had more passes defended than starting cornerback Terrence McGee (11).

* Only one player scored multiple touchdowns defenisvely last season. It was Fletcher.

That's just stats. He's one of the few actual leaders on this team. This guy will be missed dearly, whether you want to admit it or not.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • shelby
    The Vanilla *****
    • Jul 2002

Re: Fletch to be missed more than you'll admit.

i am a huge fan of Fletcher's, and i was very sorry to see him go. If anything, i thought Fletch was underrated. However, it is what it is, and we will have to see how our D shapes up without him.

There are a corps of posters who considered him overrated. i named mchurchfie their president and CEO.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

I'll admit it when it's been proven. For all anybody knows at this point it could be an upgrade OR a downgrade, but nobody can say for certain until the end of the year.

POZ certainly can't replace both Fletcher AND Clements, but if he...

Picks off four passes (or more)...
      Runs one INT (or more) in for a TD...
      Makes five tackles (or more, which is almost a given IMO) for a loss...
      Defends 14 passes (or more)...
      Scores twice on turnovers ( or more)...

Then it's an upgrade. Even if he 'only' equals London's stats that you've pointed out, and doesn't surpass them, then it's an upgrade.

Nothing you've mentioned above appears to be out of reach for a rookie MLB, by any means, especially in the T2. As a matter of fact, I don't think it's unrealistic to expect the same or better out of Poz, especially the tackles for a loss.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• gil
        • Mar 2005

Well, Poz has his work cut out for him - I'm looking *forward* to see what he can do this season.

Comment

• SyraBillsLican
          • Jun 2005

those numbers are representative of being a middle linebacker. Poz will inherit many of those number solely by occupying the position on the field.

Its like saying this: a team loses a left cb. in 2006, that corner had all the interceptions on the left side of the field. DUH! hes the left corner. just like you expect your middle linebacker to get most of your tackles. just because he led the team in tackles doesnt mean hes irreplaceable or that another cant come in and do the same
          Lets exorcise the Music City Curse! No playoffs since so-called "miracle." LETS GO BUFFALO!!!!!!

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
            I'll admit it when it's been proven. For all anybody knows at this point it could be an upgrade OR a downgrade, but nobody can say for certain until the end of the year.

POZ certainly can't replace both Fletcher AND Clements, but if he...

Picks off four passes (or more)...
            Runs one INT (or more) in for a TD...
            Makes five tackles (or more, which is almost a given IMO) for a loss...
            Defends 14 passes (or more)...
            Scores twice on turnovers ( or more)...

Then it's an upgrade. Even if he 'only' equals London's stats that you've pointed out, and doesn't surpass them, then it's an upgrade.

Nothing you've mentioned above appears to be out of reach for a rookie MLB, by any means, especially in the T2. As a matter of fact, I don't think it's unrealistic to expect the same or better out of Poz, especially the tackles for a loss.
            146 tackles, 4 intereceptions, 2 TD's, 14 passes defended.

as a ROOKIE?

****.. there were PRO BOWL ILB's who didnt have those numbers. Fletch got shunned from the Pro Bowl.. again

Comment

• Goobylal
              • Jan 2004

Poz will take a little time to get comfortable. But eventually he'll be an upgrade. I'd put money on it happening this year, verus next year.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                • May 2003

I can admit it, I loved Fletch and his attitude and fire.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                  • Mar 2005

Fletcher was a high motor guy that played above his ability. I'll give him that. But I watched him blow his shares of tackles, etc. He was mediocre in the real world but above average on this team.

The objective of this team is to replace every player we lose with something better. It may not go position by position but the overall product needs to improve.

1) You can make a strong argument for RB with getting both Lynch and Wright where rookies tend to do okay in year one. Bye-bye Willis.

2) You lose Nate but pick up a starting LG, RT, and RG with money you save and dramatically increase the depth at that position. Bye-bye Nate.

3) You lose Spkies (played better the last 2 games), Fletcher, and replace them with Polusczny and an average DT that may not sign with us. That looks like a step back no matter how you slice it.

Comment

• BuffaloBillsStampede
                    • Aug 2005

Fletch is the only one of the guys we lost that I really wanted to keep. That guy is a ball player either way you look at it. All he does is make plays. He was not the reason for our poor run defense, in fact without him I think we struggle even more in run D last year.
                    SUPER MARIO PLEASE COME TO BUFFALO!!!!

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

Im not knocking POZ>

GOod chance in time he can be a hell of a LB.

I'm just saying Fletch will be missed, especially in the short term.. Some People dont want to admit it though.

Comment

• X-Era
                        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                        You know, I can certainly buy into fans being excited about some of the young talent on this team. As long as Wilson does the right thing over the next few off-seasons, this team could be solid for the forseeable future.
                        But what really gets under my skin is the way Fletcher was dissed when he left, and how "overated" he suddenly became.

To say this team won't miss FLetcher over the next 1-2 years is absolutely idiotic. They'll miss Clements obviously, but paying that contract would be dumb. But they should've kept Fletcher, even if they drafted Poz as well.
                        Look at these numbers.. Still don't think Fletcher will be missed?

* More than half of our total team interceptions last season (13) were made by Fletcher (4) and Clements (3)

* We ran back two interceptions for TD's last season. One was by Fletcher. The other one? By Clements

* People say FLetcher made all his tackles 7-yards down the field. Maybe so, but guess who led the team in tackles for losses last season? Nope, not a defensive linemen like it should be. It was London Fletcher (5).

* Fletcher had more passes defended in coverage last year than any Buffalo Bill on the team except for.. Nate Clements. Fletch (14) had more passes defended than starting cornerback Terrence McGee (11).

* Only one player scored multiple touchdowns defenisvely last season. It was Fletcher.

That's just stats. He's one of the few actual leaders on this team. This guy will be missed dearly, whether you want to admit it or not.
                        The only people who will miss Fletch are those that used to cheer when he made a tackle without looking at how far past the line of scrimmage he made it. No, the other people that will miss him are the ones that dont watch games, just look at the leagues top tackling stats.

He was liability against the run with our smaller faster DT's. If he was behind mammoths like Ted Washington and Pat Williams, he would have been great, but hes not the right MLB in the cover 2 scheme. Its not a knock on him, I like how he played, its nothing more than the reality of him being a misfit in this system.

No disrespect to the Fletch fans BTW, but you had to look a bit deeper into his game and realize most of his tackles were too far past the line of scrimmage to force consistent 3 and outs.

Besides, were you one of the people saying run and stop the run after the end of the season? Well going to Puz and letting Fletch go is likely making us better vs. the run.

Remember tackling after 7 yards means he simply slows down scoring drives, thats not good enough. We want 3 and outs, not lots of tackles.

Comment

• gil
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                          I'm just saying Fletch will be missed, especially in the short term.. Some People dont want to admit it though.
                          There's nothing to admit until we see what we have on the field this year.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by jp-era
                            The only people who will miss Fletch are those that used to cheer when he made a tackle without looking at how far past the line of scrimmage he made it. No, the other people that will miss him are the ones that dont watch games, just look at the leagues top tackling stats.

He was liability against the run with our smaller faster DT's. If he was behind mammoths like Ted Washington and Pat Williams, he would have been great, but hes not the right MLB in the cover 2 scheme. Its not a knock on him, I like how he played, its nothing more than the reality of him being a misfit in this system.

No disrespect to the Fletch fans BTW, but you had to look a bit deeper into his game and realize most of his tackles were too far past the line of scrimmage to force consistent 3 and outs.

Besides, were you one of the people saying run and stop the run after the end of the season? Well going to Puz and letting Fletch go is likely making us better vs. the run.

Remember tackling after 7 yards means he simply slows down scoring drives, thats not good enough. We want 3 and outs, not lots of tackles.
                            What in the world is your DEFINITION of a good cover two MLB?

He lead the team in tackles.. MORE IMPORTANTLY, He led the team in INTERCEPTIONS, DEFENSIVE touchdowns and had more passes defended than ANYONE in the secondary other than Clements.. What the hell more do you want from your middle linebacker in a cover two?

As for tackles for losses.. A MLB cover two has more zone pass coverage responsibility, so he reacts more than attacks the line.. and by the way, he STILL had more tackles for losses than ANYONE on the team..

C'mon man. get real

Comment

• Philagape
                              WIN NOW
                              • Jul 2002

A cover 2 LB also has to be very smart and instinctive. Fletcher was that. Fortunately, that's also one of Poz's strengths, but a rookie is still a rookie.

When replacing a good veteran with a rookie, the issue isn't whether the veteran will be missed -- of course he will -- but for how long.
                              "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                              2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

Working...
                              X