PDA

View Full Version : The bottom line is, Sabres should reward loyal fans

YardRat
06-03-2007, 08:46 AM
The Sabres need to take their policy against negotiating in-season, encase it in concrete and dump it in Lake Erie.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/90027.html

Owner Tom Golisano says the only way the Buffalo Sabres can max out on the salary cap and break even on next season’s bottom line would be by advancing to the second round of the playoffs. OK. And the problem is?

The Sabres have been to two straight Eastern Conference finals. In ’06 they were 20 minutes away from playing for the Stanley Cup. The franchise has wallowed, organizationally speaking, in all the media attention heralding its foresight in building a team ideally suited to the liberated, post-lockout NHL.

And now the owner’s fretting making the playoffs and surviving the first challenge? What’s the new battle cry over there, “One Team, One Round”?

This is no time for Golisano and the rest of the front office to scream “Retreat!” If anything, this is when the suits upstairs should start playing, in hockey lingo, a little out of character, show some gumption, reward Sabres boosters for their fanatical loyalty, finish the darn job. And if it costs the franchise a little more money than desired, if it has the front office squirming over the risks, well, it has only itself to blame.

The Sabres have been losers when it comes to dabbling in the player stock market. They keep shorting their own, and the value of those players continues to climb, which has the franchise scrambling to cover its manpower losses, or potential manpower losses. Whatever it would cost the team to retain Chris Drury, rest assured that, loosely speaking, the price is more today than it was yesterday. Ditto Daniel Briere. Ditto Thomas Vanek, who as a restricted Group 2 free agent can entertain outside offer sheets, the compensation of draft choices hardly a deterrent to the talent-starved when it comes to a 43-goal scorer all of 23.

Vanek’s uncertain status gums up the whole works and pretty much kills any opportunity the Sabres have to deal exclusively with Drury and Briere. Offer sheets to Group 2 free agents can be issued as of June 25. The Sabres have their cocaptains to themselves until July 1, the day the unrestricted free-agent money hits the fan. They must be prepared to meet any attempts to lure Vanek away, which could, just guessing, amount to something like $14 million over four years. That’s over $2 million more than what he counted against the books last season, which is why either Drury or Briere is most certainly a goner.

LABillsFan
06-03-2007, 09:43 PM
I agree in spirit. He's got to realize if the Sabres win the Cup, that city pushes the Bills to the side for a long long time. The onus will be on the Bills to get better sooner rather than later to compete with tickets sales. I think both teams right now are enjoying making money, but to really take control of the city and the people the Sabres are so much closer.

I posted before how the Rangers spend the money with little reward and I don't think you can buy a cup, Quinn in his interview even stated that it used to be when a team had a high price player they would send him to NY.

I personally don't see why, if your going to spend 40 million dollars why you can't spend 45 or if you're going to spend 45 you can't spend 48. Tom, you bought the car, quit haggling over the price of the AC.

Michael82
06-04-2007, 01:08 AM
The Sabres need to take their policy against negotiating in-season, encase it in concrete and dump it in Lake Erie.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/90027.html
Great article! And I totally agree with the first line....toss out their policy about not negotiating mid-season. it cost us last year big time and it's really going to cost us now. :ill:

LABillsFan
06-04-2007, 08:19 PM
If they did change their policy, what would stop multiple players getting their agent on the phone and calling Darcy. I think it would put more on the minds of the players and GM's instead of concentrating on their job. I do understand locking up or rewarding players, but I don't think animosity should be given a chance to rear it's head either. Look at all the hold outs in the other sports, I know it costs more at the end I don't want to hear about lower level players complaining about their deals during the season. I don't know why players have a problem just look at what it did for McKee. But it the Sabres had locked him in with a big contract, he would of been considered a bust because of his proneness to injury.

Michael82
06-05-2007, 12:47 AM
If they did change their policy, what would stop multiple players getting their agent on the phone and calling Darcy. I think it would put more on the minds of the players and GM's instead of concentrating on their job. I do understand locking up or rewarding players, but I don't think animosity should be given a chance to rear it's head either. Look at all the hold outs in the other sports, I know it costs more at the end I don't want to hear about lower level players complaining about their deals during the season. I don't know why players have a problem just look at what it did for McKee. But it the Sabres had locked him in with a big contract, he would of been considered a bust because of his proneness to injury.
something tells me that you won't feel the same way if it costs us to lose both Briere and Drury. :ill:

LABillsFan
06-05-2007, 12:59 AM
something tells me that you won't feel the same way it is costs us to lose both Briere and Drury. :ill:

I would be bummed of course, but I understand the reasoning and I'm glad they aren't like the Redskins either. I also think if they were to leave, there may be some talent to replace them. The leadership and continuity would take a year to develope so I don't think we'll see both gone. I'll still be a Sabres fan though. Maybe we'll be talking about this in a couple of years when Vanek, Stafford, Kaleta et al are in the same position.

Michael82
06-05-2007, 07:35 AM
I would be bummed of course, but I understand the reasoning and I'm glad they aren't like the Redskins either. I also think if they were to leave, there may be some talent to replace them. The leadership and continuity would take a year to develope so I don't think we'll see both gone. I'll still be a Sabres fan though. Maybe we'll be talking about this in a couple of years when Vanek, Stafford, Kaleta et al are in the same position.
Vanek and Stafford, maybe....but definitely NOT Kaleta! What the hell do you people see in him? :ill:

Ebenezer
06-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Vanek and Stafford, maybe....but definitely NOT Kaleta! What the hell do you people see in him? :ill:
he's the local kid made good...hey, if he can replace Peter's I'm all for it but let's not push the kid before he is ready - had there not been a super rash of injuries he wouldn't have seen the bus to get to the big club. I still think it was part publicity stunt that worked - not that that was a bad thing.