PDA

View Full Version : FANTASY FOOTBALL THREAD! Have you ever reversed the order of rounds 3 and 4?

lordofgun
06-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Have any of you had a serpentine draft, but reversed rounds 3 and 4? It seems like a fair way to balance out any advantage of drafting in the top 3 of the draft.

So the picks would be as follows:

#1, 20, 30, 31

#2, 19, 29, 32

#3, 18, 28, 33

#4, 17, 27, 34

#5, 16, 26, 35

#6, 15, 25, 36

#7, 14, 24, 37

#8, 13, 23, 38

#9, 12, 22, 39

#10, 11, 21, 40

Here's a post from another message board supporting this idea:

I convinced all of my redraft leagues (that don't want auction) to do this last year. It was a WONDERFUL balancer. I don't think it matters much after 4 rounds (not 1!). I think you underestimate the flexibility it offers.

With a normal serpentine, the top guys can pick however they want. RB/WR/QB and get three studs. They can still get a fine second RB AND a stud WR (or QB). This just isn't right. Those at the bottom of the draft either go RB/RB (no studs) and get no studs at QB/WR either. If they go RB/WR they are left with slim pickings for RB2.

With the double snake, there is a ripple effect. For example, it allows those at the bottom to take the stud WR to get a leg up in that respect against the top of the draft. Since they draft at the top of the third, they'll still get a solid RB. If it is a RB/RB drafting group all around, then those at the bottom will get first pick of the stud WRs in the third to compensate. Furthermore, the early drafters now must make a choice when it comes back to them in the second. It isn't as easy as getting a solid RB2 AND a stud WR in rounds 2/3. They must now choose with the long wait for the third pick. Go stud WR in the second and a solid RB2 just won't be there in the third; take the RB2 and the stud WRs are all gone.

In each league the playoff teams were spread across the draft slots. In previous years the vast majority had the top few picks. I won't do a regular serpentine draft again - either auction or some form of modified snake.<!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_6816631--><!-- THE POST -->

Or there is the option of going "double snake" the whole way through the draft, meaning after round 1, you pick at the same spot for two straight rounds (#1 pick would get 1, 24, 36, 37, 49, 72, 84, etc.)

:popcorn:

BillsFever21
06-03-2007, 08:31 PM
It doesn't matter where you draft. A good GM can draft a playoff team from any position on a regular basis.

I've been doing FF for 5 years now and usually have about 4 teams a year and I have only missed the playoffs with two teams and have won 7 championships.

In the last two years I haven't had a Top 3 pick once but all my teams made the playoffs. It's not where you draft that matters it's having an eye for talent and having a foundation of how you build your team. And the biggest factor is being able to pick out the guys coming out of nowhere, especially RB's.

Dozerdog
06-03-2007, 09:10 PM
The season is won in the first 3 weeks with shrewd FAcy pickps

SABURZFAN
06-03-2007, 09:19 PM
Have any of you had a serpentine draft, but reversed rounds 3 and 4? It seems like a fair way to balance out any advantage of drafting in the top 3 of the draft.

So the picks would be as follows:

#1, 20, 30, 31

#2, 19, 29, 32

#3, 18, 28, 33

#4, 17, 27, 34

#5, 16, 26, 35

#6, 15, 25, 36

#7, 14, 24, 37

#8, 13, 23, 38

#9, 12, 22, 39

#10, 11, 21, 40

Here's a post from another message board supporting this idea:

Or there is the option of going "double snake" the whole way through the draft, meaning after round 1, you pick at the same spot for two straight rounds (#1 pick would get 1, 24, 36, 37, 49, 72, 84, etc.)

:popcorn:

those who think this idea is wonderful never make the playoffs in their FF Leagues. :down:

chubluv
06-03-2007, 10:16 PM
You can draft a championship team from any spot in the draft order. All you have to do is look at schedule matchups for your possible back up players & hope you dont get any injuries.

BlackMetalNinja
06-04-2007, 05:54 AM
I'm done with Fantasy Football after consistently kicking ass in the regular season and then getting screwed in the playoffs because half my players are either sitting out or in meaningless games and not scoring points.

lordofgun
06-04-2007, 05:57 AM
Of course you CAN win from any position. That's not what this thread is about though.

BlackMetalNinja
06-04-2007, 05:59 AM
Of course you CAN win from any position. That's not what this thread is about though.

I actually like that idea better as far as balance. Every league I've ever been in either does straight first to last, repeated... or 1st round - first to last, then reverser order for the 2nd round, back to the original in the 3rd rd, etc.

Earthquake Enyart
06-04-2007, 07:58 AM
You can draft a championship team from any spot in the draft order. All you have to do is look at schedule matchups for your possible back up players & hope you dont get any injuries.
I disagree. It is impossible to win from #12.

Doing this would help #12 a lot.

NorthCarBills
06-04-2007, 08:09 AM
I'm in the same boat as Ninja. I always dominate in the regular season and then get killed in the playoffs - but I'm still addicted and love to play.

Question. Does the Zone sponsor a FF league, and if so, can someone please point me to the correct sign up forum?

BlackMetalNinja
06-04-2007, 09:08 AM
I'm in the same boat as Ninja. I always dominate in the regular season and then get killed in the playoffs - but I'm still addicted and love to play.

Question. Does the Zone sponsor a FF league, and if so, can someone please point me to the correct sign up forum?

Fantasy Football Zone (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/forumdisplay.php?f=20)

Gunzlingr
06-04-2007, 09:45 AM

Add me to that list. I consistently lose 1-3 games during the regular season, but my guys choke come playoff time.

NorthCarBills
06-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Fantasy Football Zone (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/forumdisplay.php?f=20)

Thanks I'll check it out.

lordofgun
06-04-2007, 06:11 PM

We run several leagues...most are free, but at least one is a pay league.

NorthCarBills
06-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Thank you both for the information....I'll look forward to finding out more as we get closer to the season.