PDA

View Full Version : Notes on The Comeback Game

Mr. Miyagi
06-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Watched the Comeback Game again last night (hey it’s the offseason and the Sabres are out, what else is a sports fan to do?). Here are some observations / fun facts:

We didn’t just comeback in the second half. In fact most of the comeback occurred in less than a quarter (3rd quarter, rallying from 35-3 to 35-31).

Not only did we beat them with our backup QB, but also with our backup RB Kenneth Davis as Thurman Thomas was injured early in the game. And no Cornelius Bennett either.

Why did the Oilers keep throwing the ball even though they had a 32 point lead? That’s because they were trying to break the record of most TDs in a playoff game, which was 6 at the time, and Moon already threw 4 TDs in the first half.

Frank Reich was the QB for not only the biggest comeback to victory in NFL history, he also led the biggest comeback in Division I college football at the time (Maryland).

Guys who went nuts with their performances in the second half: Phil Hansen, Darryl Talley, Henry Jones, Mark Kelso, Carlton Bailey, Odomes. Bruce didn’t do that much.

On offense: Kenneth Davis, Bebee, Reed were absolute studs.

OT Howard Ballard SUCKED. He was sent off to Seattle after that season.

We got quite a few breaks from the refs: Bebee came in from out of bounds for his first TD, Bebee fumbled the ball after the catch but was ruled down, Talley tackled an open Oilers receiver before the catch, which was ultimately intercepted by Odomes, leading to the OT winning FG.

The Oilers could’ve won the game in regulation was it not for the botched FG hold when they were still leading 35-31.

We recovered 2 consecutive onside kicks in the 3rd quarter.

Eddie Robinson (eventually a Bill who got juked out by Pennington) was a rookie with the Oilers, and yes he was penalty prone at that time already.

A lot of ass-kissing to “offensive genius” Kevin Gilbride by the media.

Bill Cowher was a rookie head coach that year.

Boomer Esiason had a mullet, whereas Bob Costas had the exact same hairstyle he does today.

OJ was wearing those infamous gloves.

Best sign in the stadium: “REVENGE IS BEST SERVED COLD.”

OpIv37
06-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Why did the Oilers keep throwing the ball even though they had a 32 point lead? That’s because they were trying to break the record of most TDs in a playoff game, which was 6 at the time, and Moon already threw 4 TDs in the first half.

actually, the reason is because Gilbride was their OC.

Mr. Miyagi
06-04-2007, 09:24 AM
actually, the reason is because Gilbride was their OC.
That too.

Mr. Miyagi
06-04-2007, 09:29 AM
I think the Marshawn Lynch-Dwayne Wright combo could be as good as or better than the Thurman-Daivs combo. Wright has the Davis look to him, and Marshawn can be split out to catch like Thurmo did.

Dr. Lecter
06-04-2007, 09:34 AM
I have to ask this:

How nuts were you going at halftime, Op?

Mr. Miyagi
06-04-2007, 09:38 AM
He either turned off the TV or left the game at halftime.

BlackMetalNinja
06-04-2007, 09:42 AM
He either turned off the TV or left the game at halftime.

Why would he turn off the tv... that game was blacked out locally!

mybills
06-04-2007, 09:49 AM
I keep missing it..anyone know when it's on again?

I have to ask this:

:roflmao:

OpIv37
06-04-2007, 10:47 AM
I have to ask this:

during the original game? I was like 13 and I was listening to it on the radio cuz it was blacked out in Rochester. Something about hearing the announcers describe it rather than seeing it tempers my reactions somewhat. The first few scores were infuriating, but after that the malaise set in and I just began to accept it as inevitable .

My mom dragged me to Wegmans and when the Bills started coming back, they actually started playing the audio of the game in the store (which is probably illegal but no one cared in the moment).

I remember sitting on the couch listening to the end of it on the radio.

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-04-2007, 10:57 AM
-Greg Williams was also a coach on that team.
-The Oilers defense looked absolutely dead after they returned the int for a TD in the second half.
-Bruce Smith almost blew the game when he slammed Warren Moon to the turf and got the 15 yard penalty. I believe there was an interception on the play.
-Pass interference/holding on Darry Talley in OT wasn't called.

Jan Reimers
06-04-2007, 10:59 AM
That was a strange game for me. Usually, if we're really getting our butts kicked, and fall way behind, I'll yell and swear and stomp around, and even turn the TV off so I don't have to watch us get embarassed. (This was before I had season tix.)

But that day, I was sitting in my living room relatively calm and not too pissed, and I had a feeling we might at least make it respectable. And I'm really glad I kept it on.

Dr. Lecter
06-04-2007, 11:01 AM
I saw the Talley thing replayed several times and I did not think it was as bad as the announcers made it sound.

Bruce was doubled teamed and held more than once. He had an impact by tying guys up so RB's were blocking Talley.

Andre Reed is, without a doubt, one of the most underrated players in NFL history. There is no reason for Irvin to be in the HoF ahead of him. It is embarassing and proof that being a Cowboy and a "Bug name" trumps ability.

Earthquake Enyart
06-04-2007, 11:02 AM
That was a strange game for me. Usually, if we're really getting our butts kicked, and fall way behind, I'll yell and swear and stomp around, and even turn the TV off so I don't have to watch us get embarassed. (This was before I had season tix.)

But that day, I was sitting in my living room relatively calm and not too pissed, and I had a feeling we might at least make it respectable. And I'm really glad I kept it on.
That's funny. I felt the exact same way.

If anything, I was a little melancholy thinking our run was over. But when they recovered the onside kick, I thought "wait a minute here....."

Ickybaluky
06-04-2007, 11:04 AM
I think the Marshawn Lynch-Dwayne Wright combo could be as good as or better than the Thurman-Daivs combo. Wright has the Davis look to him, and Marshawn can be split out to catch like Thurmo did.

Yeah, that probably is about right. Don't want to set expectations too high.

jmb1099
06-04-2007, 11:08 AM
I was a manager of a Red Apple store at the time and friends of mine had started call ing to rub it in. I couldn't stand listening to it any longer so I took my girlfriend at the time to dinner. It took about 25 minutes or so to get to Chi Chi's and when I arrived I asked the waitress what the score was. She let me know we were about to go ahead for the win. I ran into the bar and watched the rest of the game, the highlights, the interviews etc. We broke up not too long after that.
That game is one of the reasons that I refuse to write off a season before it begins or the playoffs before we are mathmatically eliminated.

Dr. Lecter
06-04-2007, 11:10 AM
That game is one of the reasons that I refuse to write off a season before it begins or the playoffs before we are mathmatically eliminated.

*cough* *cough*

Mr. Miyagi
06-04-2007, 11:18 AM
--Bruce Smith almost blew the game when he slammed Warren Moon to the turf and got the 15 yard penalty. I believe there was an interception on the play.
Yeah, Carlton Bailey intercepted that pass.

OpIv37
06-04-2007, 11:19 AM

That was a very different team. Last year's Bills seemed a lot more adept at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory than the other way around.

jmb1099
06-04-2007, 11:35 AM
That was a very different team. Last year's Bills seemed a lot more adept at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory than the other way around.
Its the principle, not the team.

Jan Reimers
06-04-2007, 11:39 AM
Op, you have a way of snatching a negative, defeatist attitude from the jaws of an upbeat, positive post.:dance:

ParanoidAndroid
06-04-2007, 12:46 PM

Those were the good old days when you could watch it via giant, ugly satellite dishes. I saw it at a local establishment on the big screen.

Generalissimus Gibby
06-04-2007, 01:09 PM
actually, the reason is because Gilbride was their OC. That and because Jerry Gray was one of their DBs and because the NFL gave us a few good calls and because of this they decided that for the next twenty five years they would rule against us. Still WTF that was an awesome game.

Mr. Miyagi
06-04-2007, 01:11 PM
because the NFL gave us a few good calls and because of this they decided that for the next twenty five years they would rule against us.
So true. I think they told the NHL about us too. :ill:

That's only like 10 more years to go, right? :dance2:

ublinkwescore
06-04-2007, 01:27 PM
during the original game? I was like 13 and I was listening to it on the radio cuz it was blacked out in Rochester. Something about hearing the announcers describe it rather than seeing it tempers my reactions somewhat. The first few scores were infuriating, but after that the malaise set in and I just began to accept it as inevitable .

My mom dragged me to Wegmans and when the Bills started coming back, they actually started playing the audio of the game in the store (which is probably illegal but no one cared in the moment).

I remember sitting on the couch listening to the end of it on the radio.

I didn't know they blacked out Playoff games - when did they stop doing this?

OpIv37
06-04-2007, 01:32 PM
I didn't know they blacked out Playoff games - when did they stop doing this?

as far as I know they still do it, but Buffalo hasn't been in the playoffs in so long and Baltimore and Washington sell out their playoff games, so I really don't know.

MikeInRoch
06-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Ask some fans in Miami... they've had a blacked out playoff game a lot more recently than we have...

MikeInRoch
06-04-2007, 01:42 PM
I literally have a video of the comeback on my video Ipod. :D

ublinkwescore
06-04-2007, 01:43 PM
as far as I know they still do it, but Buffalo hasn't been in the playoffs in so long and Baltimore and Washington sell out their playoff games, so I really don't know.

I don't think I've missed a playoff game since the tennessee tragedy (because we were screwed and for no other reason.)

ublinkwescore
06-04-2007, 01:44 PM
well, I probably never miss playoff games because I'm out of black-out ranges for all NFL teams.

OpIv37
06-04-2007, 01:51 PM
well, I probably never miss playoff games because I'm out of black-out ranges for all NFL teams.

yeah they only black them out for markets that reach 90 miles or less from where the game is played.

Growing up in Rochester, I was within the 90 miles. Now, I would be in the blackout range for the Skins and Baltimore, but the cities are big enough that they never have any problems selling out the stadiums, even when the teams suck (although I don't recall the Ravens ever completely sucking since I've been here- they're one of those teams that has ups and downs but is never really bad).

Michael82
06-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Andre Reed was chatting with us Bills fans while we waited for Thurman during the autograph session and he talked about how....in the locker room at halftime during the comeback game, it was totally silent. No screaming...no nothing! He also talked about how that stadium was the loudest he ever heard and he said the energy of the fans still there was definitely felt by the players and used to pump themselves up when they started to come back.

realdealryan
06-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Todd Christensen was a complete tool. He kept making annoying points in his most "unfootballish" style and tone. Like a weird and unfunny Dennis Miller.

And the fourth quarter seemed to take forever after getting 28 points back in the 3rd....

Mitchy moo
06-04-2007, 08:52 PM
I watched it at club KC on kensington, Rick Keck (the owner) let me in at the door. Real good time, real good.

BADTHINGSMAN
06-04-2007, 09:34 PM

I miss the days of the 50 mile blackout rule.. Use to get Syracuse channels on the old antenna, got to watch all the blackout games back then..

John Doe
06-04-2007, 09:39 PM
I got to watch the whole thing and I still have my copy of the Buffalo paper from the next day.

It was sweet.

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-04-2007, 10:33 PM
I saw the Talley thing replayed several times and I did not think it was as bad as the announcers made it sound.

No way, even Darryl Talley said he mugged him. I think I remember a special where Talley says something like he can do whatever he wants to do to you within five yards. Then he said they didn't throw a flag, therefore it is no penalty.

ublinkwescore
06-05-2007, 08:50 AM
yeah they only black them out for markets that reach 90 miles or less from where the game is played.

Growing up in Rochester, I was within the 90 miles. Now, I would be in the blackout range for the Skins and Baltimore, but the cities are big enough that they never have any problems selling out the stadiums, even when the teams suck (although I don't recall the Ravens ever completely sucking since I've been here- they're one of those teams that has ups and downs but is never really bad).

Yep, my grandfather lives like 6 miles away (6 Miles closer to San Leandro, Ca - where Oakland Colliseum is and obviously where the Raiders play) - he's a raiders fan - he has to come here sometimes to watch the Raiders play. I usually have to go to a friend's house that has NFL Sunday Ticket to watch the Bills unless they televise a game out here, or we get a nationally televised game (like the Cowboys game this year, and the Saints preseason game).

OpIv37
06-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Yep, my grandfather lives like 6 miles away (6 Miles closer to San Leandro, Ca - where Oakland Colliseum is and obviously where the Raiders play) - he's a raiders fan - he has to come here sometimes to watch the Raiders play. I usually have to go to a friend's house that has NFL Sunday Ticket to watch the Bills unless they televise a game out here, or we get a nationally televised game (like the Cowboys game this year, and the Saints preseason game).

the good thing is that the blackout only covers the local area, so even when the games are blacked out I can still get them on Sunday Ticket, but people in Buffalo or Rochester can't.

I think there was only one Bills game that was on locally and not on Sunday Ticket last year- the finale against the Ravens.

ublinkwescore
06-05-2007, 08:54 AM
I got to watch the whole thing and I still have my copy of the Buffalo paper from the next day.

It was sweet.

I still have pics from the monday night game against the fins in Marino's first year - I got a pic of John Holecek sacking the bum and you see the ball already flopping out (it was eventually recovered by Gabe Northern and returned for a TD), and another with Henry Jones tackling Oronde Gadsden (or whatever the hell his name is).

Also, the next day, Jimmy Johnson showed was a class act he was and threw Dan Marino under the bus - that was a good year, and I still have to wonder what would have happened if they wouldn't have pulled Flutie for RJ based on his performance against the Colts in the regular season finale.

They mentioned Jimmy Johnson's stomping of a Flutie Flakes box after our playoff loss to them the season before, but went on to say that the only stomping done that night was by Buffalo's Defense.

Earthquake Enyart
06-05-2007, 09:33 AM
I watched it at club KC on kensington, Rick Keck (the owner) let me in at the door. Real good time, real good.
Namedropper. :mad:

Jeff1220
06-05-2007, 10:55 AM
I still have pics from the monday night game against the fins in Marino's first year - I got a pic of John Holecek sacking the bum and you see the ball already flopping out (it was eventually recovered by Gabe Northern and returned for a TD), and another with Henry Jones tackling Oronde Gadsden (or whatever the hell his name is).

Also, the next day, Jimmy Johnson showed was a class act he was and threw Dan Marino under the bus - that was a good year, and I still have to wonder what would have happened if they wouldn't have pulled Flutie for RJ based on his performance against the Colts in the regular season finale.

They mentioned Jimmy Johnson's stomping of a Flutie Flakes box after our playoff loss to them the season before, but went on to say that the only stomping done that night was by Buffalo's Defense.

Holecek didn't play back then. :confused: