• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Notes on The Comeback Game

Watched the Comeback Game again last night (hey it’s the offseason and the Sabres are out, what else is a sports fan to do?). Here are some observations / fun facts:
    • We didn’t just comeback in the second half. In fact most of the comeback occurred in less than a quarter (3rd quarter, rallying from 35-3 to 35-31).
    • Not only did we beat them with our backup QB, but also with our backup RB Kenneth Davis as Thurman Thomas was injured early in the game. And no Cornelius Bennett either.
    • Why did the Oilers keep throwing the ball even though they had a 32 point lead? That’s because they were trying to break the record of most TDs in a playoff game, which was 6 at the time, and Moon already threw 4 TDs in the first half.
    • Frank Reich was the QB for not only the biggest comeback to victory in NFL history, he also led the biggest comeback in Division I college football at the time (Maryland).
    • Guys who went nuts with their performances in the second half: Phil Hansen, Darryl Talley, Henry Jones, Mark Kelso, Carlton Bailey, Odomes. Bruce didn’t do that much.
    • On offense: Kenneth Davis, Bebee, Reed were absolute studs.
    • OT Howard Ballard SUCKED. He was sent off to Seattle after that season.
    • We got quite a few breaks from the refs: Bebee came in from out of bounds for his first TD, Bebee fumbled the ball after the catch but was ruled down, Talley tackled an open Oilers receiver before the catch, which was ultimately intercepted by Odomes, leading to the OT winning FG.
    • The Oilers could’ve won the game in regulation was it not for the botched FG hold when they were still leading 35-31.
    • We recovered 2 consecutive onside kicks in the 3rd quarter.
    • Eddie Robinson (eventually a Bill who got juked out by Pennington) was a rookie with the Oilers, and yes he was penalty prone at that time already.
    • A lot of ass-kissing to “offensive genius” Kevin Gilbride by the media.
    • Bill Cowher was a rookie head coach that year.
    • Boomer Esiason had a mullet, whereas Bob Costas had the exact same hairstyle he does today.
    • OJ was wearing those infamous gloves.
    • Best sign in the stadium: “REVENGE IS BEST SERVED COLD.”
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Notes on The Comeback Game

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi

Why did the Oilers keep throwing the ball even though they had a 32 point lead? That’s because they were trying to break the record of most TDs in a playoff game, which was 6 at the time, and Moon already threw 4 TDs in the first half.
    actually, the reason is because Gilbride was their OC.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
      Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
      actually, the reason is because Gilbride was their OC.
      That too.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
        Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

I think the Marshawn Lynch-Dwayne Wright combo could be as good as or better than the Thurman-Daivs combo. Wright has the Davis look to him, and Marshawn can be split out to catch like Thurmo did.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
          Zero for Zero!
          • Mar 2003

I have to ask this:

How nuts were you going at halftime, Op?
          Originally posted by mysticsoto
          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

He either turned off the TV or left the game at halftime.

Comment

• BlackMetalNinja
              I'm not Jewish, I'm just in it for the hats.
              • May 2005

He either turned off the TV or left the game at halftime.
              Why would he turn off the tv... that game was blacked out locally!

Comment

• mybills
                81 st zoner
                • Jul 2002

I keep missing it..anyone know when it's on again?

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                I have to ask this:

I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  I have to ask this:

during the original game? I was like 13 and I was listening to it on the radio cuz it was blacked out in Rochester. Something about hearing the announcers describe it rather than seeing it tempers my reactions somewhat. The first few scores were infuriating, but after that the malaise set in and I just began to accept it as inevitable .

My mom dragged me to Wegmans and when the Bills started coming back, they actually started playing the audio of the game in the store (which is probably illegal but no one cared in the moment).

I remember sitting on the couch listening to the end of it on the radio.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                    • May 2003

-Greg Williams was also a coach on that team.
                    -The Oilers defense looked absolutely dead after they returned the int for a TD in the second half.
                    -Bruce Smith almost blew the game when he slammed Warren Moon to the turf and got the 15 yard penalty. I believe there was an interception on the play.
                    -Pass interference/holding on Darry Talley in OT wasn't called.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                      • May 2003

That was a strange game for me. Usually, if we're really getting our butts kicked, and fall way behind, I'll yell and swear and stomp around, and even turn the TV off so I don't have to watch us get embarassed. (This was before I had season tix.)

But that day, I was sitting in my living room relatively calm and not too pissed, and I had a feeling we might at least make it respectable. And I'm really glad I kept it on.
                      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                        Zero for Zero!
                        • Mar 2003

I saw the Talley thing replayed several times and I did not think it was as bad as the announcers made it sound.

Bruce was doubled teamed and held more than once. He had an impact by tying guys up so RB's were blocking Talley.

Andre Reed is, without a doubt, one of the most underrated players in NFL history. There is no reason for Irvin to be in the HoF ahead of him. It is embarassing and proof that being a Cowboy and a "Bug name" trumps ability.
                        Originally posted by mysticsoto
                        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                          That was a strange game for me. Usually, if we're really getting our butts kicked, and fall way behind, I'll yell and swear and stomp around, and even turn the TV off so I don't have to watch us get embarassed. (This was before I had season tix.)

But that day, I was sitting in my living room relatively calm and not too pissed, and I had a feeling we might at least make it respectable. And I'm really glad I kept it on.
                          That's funny. I felt the exact same way.

If anything, I was a little melancholy thinking our run was over. But when they recovered the onside kick, I thought "wait a minute here....."

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                            • Jul 2003

I think the Marshawn Lynch-Dwayne Wright combo could be as good as or better than the Thurman-Daivs combo. Wright has the Davis look to him, and Marshawn can be split out to catch like Thurmo did.
                            Yeah, that probably is about right. Don't want to set expectations too high.

Comment

• jmb1099
                              • Sep 2004

I was a manager of a Red Apple store at the time and friends of mine had started call ing to rub it in. I couldn't stand listening to it any longer so I took my girlfriend at the time to dinner. It took about 25 minutes or so to get to Chi Chi's and when I arrived I asked the waitress what the score was. She let me know we were about to go ahead for the win. I ran into the bar and watched the rest of the game, the highlights, the interviews etc. We broke up not too long after that.
                              That game is one of the reasons that I refuse to write off a season before it begins or the playoffs before we are mathmatically eliminated.

Comment

Working...
                              X