PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo's Losman, Evans to go deep even more in '07?

Don't Panic
06-05-2007, 04:20 AM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/06/bills-losmanevans-godeepevenmore050607.html

Aside from the obvious upgrade Dockery will provide to the offensive line, the team also seems to have repaired its poor running game from last season. Despite the enormous hype given to now-Baltimore Raven Willis McGahee, whom the Bills traded away in March for three draft choices, the 2003 first-round pick was maligned in Buffalo for a reason: He simply wasn't all that good, and the ex-Miami Hurricane's 990 rushing yards, 3.8 per-carry average and six touchdowns from '06 prove that he is an average-at-best runner. The RB position matters because, as they say, running the ball successfully opens up the passing game. The new rookies in the backfield -- Marshawn Lynch (first round) and bruiser Dwayne Wright (fourth round) -- have looked great in the Bills' spring organized team activities thus far, and it helps that veteran Anthony Thomas will still be in the fold. That trio, if it lives up to its potential from the start, could actually be among the top three-headed rushing attacks in the NFL, and it ought to easily eclipse Buffalo's 27th-ranked ground game from last season.
Therefore, the simple fact that the offensive line is better and the running game seems to have taken a step forward should open up the deep ball from Losman to Evans even more in 2007. That would mean an increase in points for the Bills (they averaged just under 19 per game in '06) and plenty of frustration for opposing defensive backs who simply won't have the speed or coverage skills to contain the game-changing Evans.

If all the talk around here hasn't gotten you excited about the offense yet, this should do the trick. Plus, the 2nd WR getting more looks went unmentioned. Lots of reason for optimism (homerism) on the offensive side of the ball. Realistic homerism I'll call it.

YardRat
06-05-2007, 05:32 AM
I'm optimistic about the offense. Another unmentioned point is how much an improved offense could help the defense.

Pinkerton Security
06-05-2007, 06:22 AM
I generally am not a huge fan of the guys there at 365, but i like this particular article...a lot. HA! Go Bills!

Honestly though, how much better do you all feel about having the combo of Lynch and Wright, our own lightning and thunder perhaps, instead of the Great Dancing McGahee? I for one am ecstatic about the situation, and I also feel that A-Train is a valuable asset too, bc we know he can grind out 80 yards no problem. Things are looking up, IMO of course.

TigerJ
06-05-2007, 07:18 AM
I didn't need the article to make me more optimistic about the offense. Of course they have to do it on the field of play when the "bullets are real" but there is potential in this offense to have a major upgrade in productivity.

Mitchy moo
06-05-2007, 07:27 AM
The offense picked it up in the second half of last year and we be able to move up the o-charts this year.

justasportsfan
06-05-2007, 08:25 AM
I see JP connecting more with the TE's.

Pride
06-05-2007, 08:33 AM
I love that Lee Evans is finally getting the attention that he deserves. The guy was a beast on a bad offense his whole career... I love that it is finally paying off for him in terms of recognition.

All I gotta say is... pay the man.

ublinkwescore
06-05-2007, 08:38 AM
I'm optimistic about the offense. Another unmentioned point is how much an improved offense could help the defense.

Don't mention that to Op, he'll have a Myocardial Infarction.

cocamide
06-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Finally, an article where the writer isn't all over McGahee's nuts. You would've thought that he had 1500+ yards last season. ESPN and other networks never mention that fact that he didn't even break 1000 yards. Granted, our O-Line isn't great, but to make 1000 yards in a season you only need about 63 yards per game.

Here's to Losman, Evans and Lynch! :beer:

madness
06-05-2007, 12:20 PM
I love that Lee Evans is finally getting the attention that he deserves. The guy was a beast on a bad offense his whole career... I love that it is finally paying off for him in terms of recognition.

All I gotta say is... pay the man.

The Patriots needed to get two receivers to get their Evans. He probably won't equal the stats of Moss and Stallworth combined again this year but I still find that pretty funny.

Evans - 82 rec. for 1292 yds w/ 8 tds
Moss + Stallworth 80 rec. for 1278 yds w/ 8 tds

OpIv37
06-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Don't mention that to Op, he'll have a Myocardial Infarction.

you know, I saw it and I thought about responding, but I've already said it a million times and people have already either ignored it or argued with it a million times, so there is no real point. People believe what they want to believe.

Dr. Lecter
06-05-2007, 12:23 PM
you know, I saw it and I thought about responding, but I've already said it a million times and people have already either ignored it or argued with it a million times, so there is no real point. People believe what they want to believe.

Yes they do.

More time on the field for the offense + Yielding better field possession upon change of possession = A defense that can be better rested and more efficient.

Dr. Lecter
06-05-2007, 12:24 PM
BTW, Ublink gets the big word of the day award.

OpIv37
06-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Yes they do.

More time on the field for the offense + Yielding better field possession upon change of possession = A defense that can be better rested and more efficient.

assuming the opposing offense doesn't wear down our D and put pressure on our O to score first, which is hardly a safe assumption.

madness
06-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Yes they do.

The Raiders are switching to a ball control, pound the ball down your throat offense to compliment their defense this year. Considering how dominate their D was last year with their offense constantly going three and out, can you imagine their defense if the O is chewing up clock and successfully converting first downs?

justasportsfan
06-05-2007, 12:57 PM
means pass gas ?

Dr. Lecter
06-05-2007, 01:12 PM
assuming the opposing offense doesn't wear down our D and put pressure on our O to score first, which is hardly a safe assumption.

Actually, scoring defense was a strength last year.

OpIv37
06-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Actually, scoring defense was a strength last year.

it was? we were 24th in turnovers.

ublinkwescore
06-05-2007, 03:03 PM
means pass gas ?

No, it's just a really big fancy word for heart attack.

justasportsfan
06-05-2007, 03:03 PM

we were ranked 10th in scoring D.
http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/DEF-SCORING/2006/regular?sort_col_1=3

Breath in , breath out...

Dr. Lecter
06-05-2007, 03:05 PM

And 10th in points allowed.

justasportsfan
06-05-2007, 03:26 PM
we're in trouble though 14 pts came from Fletch who's no longer here .What to do? :nervous:

OpIv37
06-05-2007, 03:37 PM
And 10th in points allowed.

see, I think this is the biggest BS statistic ever because it doesn't account for time of possession. If the other team only has a one score lead but can control the ball for the final 7 minutes of the game so we don't have time to match, the fact that we didn't give up a lot of points is COMPLETELY irrelevant. The D also has to be able to get off the field, and 24th in turnovers and 28th in run D suggests we didn't do that well at all.

OpIv37
06-05-2007, 03:39 PM
we were 29th in TOP.

justasportsfan
06-05-2007, 03:40 PM
see, I think this is the biggest BS statistic ever because it doesn't account for time of possession. If the other team only has a one score lead but can control the ball for the final 7 minutes of the game so we don't have time to match, the fact that we didn't give up a lot of points is COMPLETELY irrelevant. The D also has to be able to get off the field, and 24th in turnovers and 28th in run D suggests we didn't do that well at all.

not really. Simply means they can run against us but they can't score TD's.

justasportsfan
06-05-2007, 03:43 PM
No, it's just a really big fancy word for heart attack.
:rolleyes:

Dr. Lecter
06-05-2007, 03:43 PM
we were 29th in TOP.

Which was partially, although not entirely, a problem of the OFFENSE as wellas the defense. Remember that TOP is reflective on defense and offense, as the offense is also ranked 29th.

Which is YardRats original point.

OpIv37
06-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Which was partially, although not entirely, a problem of the OFFENSE as wellas the defense. Remember that TOP is reflective on defense and offense, as the offense is also ranked 29th.

Which is YardRats original point.

right but the offense wasn't 28th in run D or 29th in turnovers. It's a two-fold problem and we only fixed half of it.

TacklingDummy
06-05-2007, 03:55 PM
If all the talk around here hasn't gotten you excited about the offense yet, this should do the trick.

Losman still the QB? Sorry, Im not excited.

YardRat
06-05-2007, 04:37 PM
right but the offense wasn't 28th in run D or 29th in turnovers. It's a two-fold problem and we only fixed half of it.

The defense wasn't 31st in 3rd down conversions, 30th in time of possession, 30th in yards per game, 28th in yards per play, 32nd in total plays run, 32nd in first downs per game, 27th in yards rushing, 27th in yards per rush, 27th in yards per game, 27th in first downs rushing, 28th in runs of +20 yards, 31st in passing attempts, 31st in attempts per game, 28th in passing yards, 28th in passing yards per game, and on and on....

Harp on the defense all you want, but the offense was more of a detriment to the team than the D. As a matter of fact, the offense flat out sucked.

I realize you disagree, but I still maintain better performance by the offense will lead to a better performance by the defense. It's pretty much a given, IMO.

Dr. Lecter
06-05-2007, 05:40 PM

Well, duh.

Last year we had 5 rookies starting on defense, which was part of the problem. They are no longer rookies. And this offseason the offense was worked on. Next offseason, the remaining few holes on each side will be addressed.

TigerJ
06-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Losman still the QB? Sorry, Im not excited.
Go take a nap, TD. Come back in January and we'll tell you all about it.

Don't Panic
06-05-2007, 07:52 PM
I realize you disagree, but I still maintain better performance by the offense will lead to a better performance by the defense. It's pretty much a given, IMO.

Yeah... I don't really see how anyone can argue against that point. We're not even talking that big of a gain, either. I mean, one more 1st down per drive, one more field goal a half, 10 more yards per quarter and we've already taken a ton of the pressure off the D. Does anyone truly believe we won't be able to do that this year? If so, it may be time to research other hobbies...

OpIv37
06-05-2007, 07:55 PM
Well, duh.

Last year we had 5 rookies starting on defense, which was part of the problem. They are no longer rookies. And this offseason the offense was worked on. Next offseason, the remaining few holes on each side will be addressed.

so, I get to wait another 16 months before this team is ready to win?

And yet, you guys rip on ME for not being able to get excited about that.

OpIv37
06-05-2007, 07:57 PM
The defense wasn't 31st in 3rd down conversions, 30th in time of possession, 30th in yards per game, 28th in yards per play, 32nd in total plays run, 32nd in first downs per game, 27th in yards rushing, 27th in yards per rush, 27th in yards per game, 27th in first downs rushing, 28th in runs of +20 yards, 31st in passing attempts, 31st in attempts per game, 28th in passing yards, 28th in passing yards per game, and on and on....

Harp on the defense all you want, but the offense was more of a detriment to the team than the D. As a matter of fact, the offense flat out sucked.

TOP is a defensive statistic as much as an offensive one. The offense didn't give up 7 minute drives in the 4th quarter- the defense did. The O would have had more opportunities with the ball if the D wasn't 24th in turnovers and 28th against the run., and those attempts per game and all that would have gone way up.

and more importantly, the offense was fixed. The D wasn't- in fact, the D lost three starters.

YardRat
06-05-2007, 08:47 PM
This is a circular argument, with no end...both sides should play off each other's success. If you can make the above statement and conclude that the offense would perform better if the defense did, why can't you concede the point that the opposite should hold true also?

OpIv37
06-05-2007, 08:54 PM
This is a circular argument, with no end...both sides should play off each other's success. If you can make the above statement and conclude that the offense would perform better if the defense did, why can't you concede the point that the opposite should hold true also?

because the D still sucks and could hold back the offense. No matter how good the offense is, the D still has to take the field. Remember 2002? We shattered offensive records and only managed 8-8. It didn't matter that the O was scoring 30 cuz the D was allowing 35.

YardRat
06-05-2007, 09:04 PM
because the D still sucks and could hold back the offense. No matter how good the offense is, the D still has to take the field. Remember 2002? We shattered offensive records and only managed 8-8. It didn't matter that the O was scoring 30 cuz the D was allowing 35.

Remember last year? It didn't matter that the defense was holding teams to 19.4 points per game (10th in the league, as Lecter has already stated) because the offense was only scoring 18.8.

The offense did more to hold back the defense than the reverse.

The defense can at least boast they were top 10 in something...Can the offense say the same? Hell, the offense could barely make it out of the thirties for any statistical ranking.

OpIv37
06-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Remember last year? It didn't matter that the defense was holding teams to 19.4 points per game (10th in the league, as Lecter has already stated) because the offense was only scoring 18.8.

The offense did more to hold back the defense than the reverse.

The defense can at least boast they were top 10 in something...Can the offense say the same? Hell, the offense could barely make it out of the thirties for any statistical ranking.

of course, part of the reason the offense only scored 18.8 is because they only had the ball for 6 minutes of the 4th quarter, but that has NOTHING to do with the D :rolleyes:

YardRat
06-05-2007, 09:20 PM
of course, part of the reason the offense only scored 18.8 is because they only had the ball for 6 minutes of the 4th quarter, but that has NOTHING to do with the D :rolleyes:

I re-iterate...

Not to mention...

Detroit and Tennessee both ranked below Buffalo in TOP....Both also ranked HIGHER than the Bills in points scored per game. As a matter of fact, both ranked higher than Buffalo in almost all offensive categories.

OpIv37
06-05-2007, 09:25 PM
I re-iterate...

Not to mention...

Detroit and Tennessee both ranked below Buffalo in TOP....Both also ranked HIGHER than the Bills in points scored per game. As a matter of fact, both ranked higher than Buffalo in almost all offensive categories.

but, as I already said, we did some things to fix the O. We didn't do anything to fix the D. You're making a case that the O was worse than the D last year- well, that doesn't make the D good enough.

Player improvement and help from the O is all we have to improve the D. Trust me- it won't be enough.

YardRat
06-05-2007, 09:35 PM
The offense was worse than the defense...that's a given. The offensive woes had a larger negative effect on the defense than vice-versa, that's my opinion.

We'll all have to wait and see whether any of the changes on either side of the ball translate into improvement or regression.

Confused
06-05-2007, 09:43 PM
http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/06/bills-losmanevans-godeepevenmore050607.html

If all the talk around here hasn't gotten you excited about the offense yet, this should do the trick. Plus, the 2nd WR getting more looks went unmentioned. Lots of reason for optimism (homerism) on the offensive side of the ball. Realistic homerism I'll call it.
F#$&-YEAH DUDE! SOOOO PUMPED FOR NEXT SEASON.

Don't Panic
06-06-2007, 10:20 AM
We'll all have to wait and see whether any of the changes on either side of the ball translate into improvement or regression.

Barring catostrophic injury, I can't see the offense regressing. There's just no way... as for the defense, I obviously hope all the positive factors (rookies > 2nd year guys, Pos, another year in the system) lead to improvement, but we'd be naive to say there isn't a chance of regression there. Either way, the improvement on offense (which should be pretty significant) makes us a better team. I'll say this... we're going to be a good bet for the OVER early on in the year.

Mad Bomber
06-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Plus he spelled it correctly. :up: A lot of people around here might have said Myocardial Infraction...

Mad Bomber
06-06-2007, 02:32 PM

Exactly. With all the focus on how crappy our defense was last year, people seem to forget that in their first seven games last year the Bills scored 17, 16, 20, 17, 7, 17 and 6 points. That's 14.3 ppg, and includes DEFENSIVE scoring as well.

bills_7
06-07-2007, 01:35 AM
i can't wait for the season to start and its only june lol.. hockey is over now too!!
J.P. and teh bills Offence will keep improving,, the D has me worried but at the same time has potential