PDA

View Full Version : Which Bill will dissappoint this year

Dr. Lecter
06-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Yesterday was the surprise Bill. Now I ask: who will dissappoint and not perform up to their expectations this year?

(Gotta give the haters and doubters a thread too!)

Crowell has had some injuries in the past. I worry about his ability to stay healthy. I am also concerned that Ko Simpson will not improve his tackling.

Romes
06-05-2007, 08:42 AM
McGee as a CB. Webster/Youboty combo will take over after week 4. McGee gets bumped down to the nickel spot.

bigbub2352
06-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Duke Preston at RG

OpIv37
06-05-2007, 08:49 AM
McGee and Preston are good picks.

I'm gonna go with Keith Ellison. I think he was in the right place at the right time last year and a lot of people are expecting too much from him this year.

OpIv37
06-05-2007, 08:50 AM
I was going to go with Royal or Tripplett, but it seems most people don't have high expectations for them so it would be tough to call them a disappointment even if they do struggle.

patmoran2006
06-05-2007, 08:55 AM
LOL.
Good thread.. Unfortunately, I have more than one.

1- Langston Walker. I simply don't like him and I see a right tackle version of Bennie Anderson here.

2- Whomever plays right guard. I like them all as backups, none of them as starters.

3- Kelsay- he's hit his window, what you see is what you get, and he cant stop the run to save his life.

Lastly, I question whether Price and Everett will even make this team.

Surprisingly (homer?) Kelsay is my only pick on defense. The rest of the unit I think just needs more experience, which they will get this year. I'm really hoping McCargo and/or K Williams come on this year.

TacklingDummy
06-05-2007, 08:57 AM
Losman: So many Bills fans have pinned such high hopes for him based on a couple good games. Even Joey Harrington/Rob Johnson had a few good games.

McGee: The 6'4" Randy Moss gets to play the 5'9" McGee twice. That should be fun.

justasportsfan
06-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Coy Wire.

Generalissimus Gibby
06-05-2007, 09:12 AM
darwin walker, he's already off to a bad start

dannyek71
06-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Paul P

gr8slayer
06-05-2007, 09:33 AM
If Whitner doesn't improve and become more of an Ed Reed/Polamalu this year I will be very disappointed.

OpIv37
06-05-2007, 09:46 AM
Coy Wire.

lmao- I think you're trying to drive us all insane.

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-05-2007, 09:47 AM
I think Terrence McGee is going to become the new whipping boy.

justasportsfan
06-05-2007, 09:49 AM
I'm too late

Mitchy moo
06-05-2007, 09:52 AM

They can cure crazy, they can't fix insane, lol.

A-train is my pick, he's not going anywhere.

Wys Guy
06-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Yesterday was the surprise Bill. Now I ask: who will dissappoint and not perform up to their expectations this year?

(Gotta give the haters and doubters a thread too!)

Crowell has had some injuries in the past. I worry about his ability to stay healthy. I am also concerned that Ko Simpson will not improve his tackling.
What?

So pessimistic this thread.

LOL

Bills players never disappoint. What's happened around here.

Crowell has had some injuries in the past. I worry about his ability to stay healthy.
Unlike McCargo.

:shocked:

In order for disappointment to occur, major discrepancies must exist between expectations and actual performance(s). There aren't a whole lot of players on this team with such lofty expectations.

Tripplett cannot disappoint since he already has and has played terribly. He can only surprise at this point.

Our top two rookies can, the others will not even have an opportunity to disappoiont.

My votes go to:

McCargo and Langston Walker

Kelsay won't disappoint except to anyone expecting more in performance merely because his bank account has more cash in it. He will continue to provide what he has provided, pretty average play with little impact and few big plays at LDE. More money isn't going to enhance his skill set or abilities. It just pays him more for what he does have.

Posluszny and Lynch may depending upon what anyone's expectations for them are. For those expecting Lynch to run wild or Pos to be Urlacher, they will disappoint. Mine are so-so and IMO they'll meet those. I expect both to play well yet not superlatively.

Earthquake Enyart
06-05-2007, 09:56 AM
Youboty. No brainer.

Wys Guy
06-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Youboty's already disappointed. The guy didn't play more than a handful of snaps last year. I would say that the expectations on him are far more tempered this year.

Dr. Lecter
06-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Youboty's already disappointed. The guy didn't play more than a handful of snaps last year. I would say that the expectations on him are far more tempered this year.

3rd round picks should not be called a dissappointment, at least not a major one, in a rookie season.

Earthquake Enyart
06-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Wys, there are a large pack of Youboty lovers here that think he is the second coming of Robert James.

Dr. Lecter
06-05-2007, 10:08 AM
What?

So pessimistic this thread.

LOL

Bills players never disappoint. What's happened around here.

Well, I was going to list the entire roster, but that is yours, Ops and Pats job.

But then again, you are the opposite and say they never surprise (positively)

Unlike McCargo.

:shocked:

The difference is the length of one's career....

BTW, Walker is another one that worries me.

Now go and look at the other thread. The surprises. A
If I can offer some pessimism, certainly you can offer some optimism.

OpIv37
06-05-2007, 10:11 AM
3rd round picks should not be called a dissappointment, at least not a major one, in a rookie season.

Well, it's too early to label him a bust or a disappointment, but I think it's fair to say that his rookie season was disappointing- he didn't get on the field or get any experience, and now we're trying to replace Clements with an unknown and untested player.

Dr. Lecter
06-05-2007, 10:13 AM
I don't disagree - But they were also unusual cricumstances.

A minor disappointment? Yes. Anything to be overly concerned with? No.

justasportsfan
06-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Well, it's too early to label him a bust or a disappointment, but I think it's fair to say that his rookie season was disappointing- he didn't get on the field or get any experience, and now we're trying to replace Clements with an unknown and untested player.
Dick should've sat Clements on his a$$ and started Youboty for experience.
Marv screwed up on the Clements situation bigtime.

Wys Guy
06-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Wys, there are a large pack of Youboty lovers here that think he is the second coming of Robert James.
Robert James, LOL. You've been a fan for a while, eh? I know little about James.

LOL Yeah, well there's a lot of people here that seem to think that our team is the second '90s era Bills in the making too.

As to Schobel, ironically, and while this won't be popular here, this is an absolutely fantastic time to trade Schobel. He's 30 this season and his only asset is speed as he is very diminutive for a DE.

It's interesting that the Skins seem interested, or at least via rumor. They've had a strong tendency to overpay aging (wrong side of 30) vets tremendously.

If we can get a 1st-rounder for Schobel, great trade. If we can get more, even better. Schobel's on the edge of fading significantly and in his case, due to his lack of size, his demise will be more precipitous than most.

Not sure about Alex Brown and how that fits in. I worry when it comes to Jauron and Levy thinking their raiding the Bears or the NFCN. It usually means that they're all gaspy and have their hands with fists clenched wriggling as the step up to the negotiating table. Not a good way to approach that table.

Also, Brown's good but not at all fantastic or superlative by any stretch. So if we then turn around and overcompensate him, ... [deep sigh]...

OpIv37
06-05-2007, 10:19 AM

at the very least, they should have dressed him more and worked him in at nickel, since losing Clements was virtually guaranteed. I think it was a difficult choice, though, because we still had an outside shot at the playoffs until the second to last game.

Either way, I agree the Clements situation was handled poorly. It sucks to lose a player that's so highly valued around the league for nothing.

Wys Guy
06-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Well, going into full rebuild mode this year it sure makes one wonder why we hung onto him. We could have had another player get a year of experience, even if it was just Greer.

Earthquake Enyart
06-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Robert James, LOL. You've been a fan for a while, eh? I know little about James.

LOL Yeah, well there's a lot of people here that seem to think that our team is the second '90s era Bills in the making too.

As to Schobel, ironically, and while this won't be popular here, this is an absolutely fantastic time to trade Schobel. He's 30 this season and his only asset is speed as he is very diminutive for a DE.

It's interesting that the Skins seem interested, or at least via rumor. They've had a strong tendency to overpay aging (wrong side of 30) vets tremendously.

If we can get a 1st-rounder for Schobel, great trade. If we can get more, even better. Schobel's on the edge of fading significantly and in his case, due to his lack of size, his demise will be more precipitous than most.

Not sure about Alex Brown and how that fits in. I worry when it comes to Jauron and Levy thinking their raiding the Bears or the NFCN. It usually means that they're all gaspy and have their hands with fists clenched wriggling as the step up to the negotiating table. Not a good way to approach that table.

Also, Brown's good but not at all fantastic or superlative by any stretch. So if we then turn around and overcompensate him, ... [deep sigh]...
Since we still are super thin at CB and LB, perhaps it's not a bad idea to trade a 5th or so for Alex Brown and get a 2nd or so for Schobel.

I think we go backwards one more year before we go forward, anyhow.

Earthquake Enyart
06-05-2007, 10:24 AM
TD screwed up the Clements situation, not Marv. Marv was stuck franchising him. TD should have worked out an extention (or gotten a replacement) 2 years ago.

Dr. Lecter
06-05-2007, 10:25 AM

Nobody is saying that.

What most are saying is the this is not going to be 1969 or 1984. What most are saying is that Levy and crew have a plan as to how to fix this team from the mess TD left and are implementing it. They are building a team for long term success rather than short term success. They are fixing the team by addressing defense, the lines and through the draft rather than signing big names and spending way too much money on over-rated players and looking for names (i.e. Willis).

Nobody here (save Skooby) thinks this team is destined for greatness this season. But they are also not going to be 2-14. They are also not falling apart before our eyes and are not destined to be the NFL doormats.

If thinking that makes me overly optimstic or a Homer, so be it.

Wys Guy
06-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Well, I was going to list the entire roster, but that is yours, Ops and Pats job.

But then again, you are the opposite and say they never surprise (positively)

The difference is the length of one's career....

BTW, Walker is another one that worries me.

Now go and look at the other thread. The surprises. A
If I can offer some pessimism, certainly you can offer some optimism.

Let's be fair now please Lechter.

Sounds as if you had to post a "disappoint" thread for appearance purposes for the sake of credibility then.

Surprise:

Clearly Lynch could surprise. The expectations are lofty however, so to me for him to surprise would mean him turning into LT all but.

Based on what I know about the talent and pasts of most of our players, I see few that can surprise, meaning that they'll provide impact caliber play. I'm not sure the rookies count b/c they're rookies.

Youboty could surprise I suppose.
Simpson very well could.
Whitner will provide solid play IMO but not impact play in the passing game.

Offensively Dockery may surprise b/c he's the forefront of his prime. He could become impact next to Peters.

Losman can too and if anyone does, he's probably my fist choice. He'll need to reconcile his short-medium passing game though, not an easy thing to do.

Past performance, unlike stocks, often indicates future performance Lechter as much as you or anyone else may not like to admit it. We have precious few proven impact players on our team.

justasportsfan
06-05-2007, 10:31 AM
at the very least, they should have dressed him more and worked him in at nickel, since losing Clements was virtually guaranteed. I think it was a difficult choice, though, because we still had an outside shot at the playoffs until the second to last game.

Either way, I agree the Clements situation was handled poorly. It sucks to lose a player that's so highly valued around the league for nothing.

Now that I've had my coffee , Youboty is headed to the probowl. IN MARV WE TRUST

:phew: for a second I thought I was lost to the dark side.

Wys Guy
06-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Nobody is saying that.

Well isn't that the goal?

If no one is saying that then I might suggest asking why not!

I'd love to be saying that. Yet, I can't either, obviously. That disappoints me.

But that's the goal, right, to have a Super Bowl caliber team?

If it's not in the making, then please do allow me to suggest that perhaps a review of our methodologies is fully warranted.

Call me unreasonable.

Wys Guy
06-05-2007, 10:35 AM
TD screwed up the Clements situation, not Marv. Marv was stuck franchising him. TD should have worked out an extention (or gotten a replacement) 2 years ago.

Even two years ago Clements' personal goal was to be the highest paid, not necesarily the best, CB in the league. He was even less worth such a contract then. It was something that was never going to happen.

Not tying ourselves to a contract like his was wise. Spending the cap dividend as such like we did was equally foolish. We should have just spent what we gave Dockery and/or Kelsay or Walker on Clements frankly and IMO.

justasportsfan
06-05-2007, 10:35 AM

Promising Clements not to franchise him was MArv's mistake. He should've traded him last year and got something in return.

Dangit, my secretary must've given me decaf.

She's gonna have to pay for that screw up with an oral dictation.

Wys Guy
06-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Promising Clements not to franchise him was MArv's mistake. He should've traded him last year and got something in return.

Dangit, my secretary must've given me decaf.

She's gonna have to pay for that screw up with an oral dictation.
Ahhh, ... forget it...

:D

Dr. Lecter
06-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Let's be fair now please Lechter.

Sounds as if you had to post a "disappoint" thread for appearance purposes for the sake of credibility then.

Credibility?

:rofl: Credibililty on a message board is overrated.

I did both because, as you should know, every year there a players on teams that step up and players that regress. Last year one could cite Ellison and McGahee on those terms. So, no I posted both since both situations occur and are related.

Surprise:

Clearly Lynch could surprise. The expectations are lofty however, so to me for him to surprise would mean him turning into LT all but.

A little high expectations for him to be a surprise. Depending on the way the 2/3 split in the running game goes, I would say 1,100 rushing yards, 8-10 TDs, 300-400 receiving yards, and 2-3 TDs would be a pleasant surprise. I will not say that a LT year is needed to be surprise.

Based on what I know about the talent and pasts of most of our players, I see few that can surprise, meaning that they'll provide impact caliber play. I'm not sure the rookies count b/c they're rookies.

Youboty could surprise I suppose.
Simpson very well could.
Whitner will provide solid play IMO but not impact play in the passing game.

Offensively Dockery may surprise b/c he's the forefront of his prime. He could become impact next to Peters.

Losman can too and if anyone does, he's probably my fist choice. He'll need to reconcile his short-medium passing game though, not an easy thing to do.

Past performance, unlike stocks, often indicates future performance Lechter as much as you or anyone else may not like to admit it. We have precious few proven impact players on our team.

Never said they have many proven impact players (3 - Lee Evans, Moorman and McGee on returns. Schobel is a notch below, imo). But most impact players were not always impact players. Guys like Losman, Whitner, Crowell, Lynch can become impact players in the next two years. And players and teams improve as they work and play together.That is why I like Marv's plan: build through the draft and let the guys gel.

Dr. Lecter
06-05-2007, 10:47 AM
Well isn't that the goal?

If no one is saying that then I might suggest asking why not!

I'd love to be saying that. Yet, I can't either, obviously. That disappoints me.

But that's the goal, right, to have a Super Bowl caliber team?

If it's not in the making, then please do allow me to suggest that perhaps a review of our methodologies is fully warranted.

Call me unreasonable.

Yes it is the goal. But, there is also a realism that this season is not that season.

Rome was not bulit in a day. Neither were the Patriots or Colts.

madness
06-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Yes it is the goal. But, there is also a realism that this season is not that season.

Rome was not bulit in a day. Neither were the Patriots or Colts.

Crap, that means I already got one wrong on my History test.

Michael82
06-05-2007, 01:51 PM
Langston Walker.... :ill:

Bling
06-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Youboty, Lynch, Losman, LB corp are all getting a little too much credit too soon. Somebody from that group is going to falter. If it's either Losman or Lynch, say goodbye to your season because IMO, offense is the only chance the Bills have of making the playoffs. If you can get Losman to keep up this pace, and Lynch to simply replace McGahee exactly- you've got a chance. If either of them are underachievers, you're stuck in the basement with Miami.

gr8slayer
06-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Youboty, Lynch, Losman, LB corp are all getting a little too much credit too soon. Somebody from that group is going to falter. If it's either Losman or Lynch, say goodbye to your season because IMO, offense is the only chance the Bills have of making the playoffs. If you can get Losman to keep up this pace, and Lynch to simply replace McGahee exactly- you've got a chance. If either of them are underachievers, you're stuck in the basement with Miami.
A Dolphins fan that admits they are in the basement of the AFCE?

Bling
06-05-2007, 01:59 PM
A Dolphins fan that admits they are in the basement of the AFCE?

Until they can prove to me otherwise. I'd argue that there's more talent on the Dolphins than the Bills and Jets, but the Bills and Jets are light years ahead in the "team" category.

gr8slayer
06-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Until they can prove to me otherwise. I'd argue that there's more talent on the Dolphins than the Bills and Jets, but the Bills and Jets are light years ahead in the "team" category.
Fair enough, I of course disagree with you and feel that there is more talent on the Bills roster but whatever. We both suck overall so what does it matter.

Crisis
06-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Rian Lindell.

Bling
06-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Fair enough, I of course disagree with you and feel that there is more talent on the Bills roster but whatever. We both suck overall so what does it matter.

I wouldn't sell yourself short yet. There's some nice talent like Whitner, Peters and Evans. I didn't watch Lynch in college, but he sounds pretty good. I'm not exactly sold on Losman, but there's potential. If things can come together, why can't the Bills compete?

gr8slayer
06-05-2007, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't sell yourself short yet. There's some nice talent like Whitner, Peters and Evans. I didn't watch Lynch in college, but he sounds pretty good. I'm not exactly sold on Losman, but there's potential. If things can come together, why can't the Bills compete?
I have had the honor of getting my hands on six Lynch college games and I gotta tell you the guy is amazing. I know you've seen me say it for six months now but I'll say it again, I'd take Lynch over Peterson anyday.

I'm not sold on Losman, I like how he's progressing but he still has a long way to go.

I'm almost sold on Peters, he still has a slip up when run blocking a bit too much but he's awesome at pass blocking.

I'm not even close on Whitner. When we draft anyone at number eight I expect huge plays from day one. I know it's not fair but in my eyes he's a long way off. Still better than Huff and Allen though :D

Evans is a freak, I'm sure I don't have to explain that one.

I personally think we are still a year away from getting into the race but we are getting the right tools in place, slowly but surely.

Ebenezer
06-05-2007, 02:52 PM
My tax bill :mad:

seriously...I agree with Mikey.

Langston Walker (and might as well through in Darwin Walker while we're at it).

gr8slayer
06-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Better watch out though Bling. STD might come after you now that you've spoken down upon the Fish.

EDS
06-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Langston Walker. I still do not understand why the Bills paid him so much money.

G. Host
06-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Coy Wire.
In order for him to disappoint you he would need to be cut, signed by Fish and make the ProBowl. Your expectations are so low for him.

My selection: Jason Peters.
The line has been poor and when everyone looks good he will look poor in comparision.

patmoran2006
06-05-2007, 04:37 PM
My selection: Jason Peters.
The line has been poor and when everyone looks good he will look poor in comparision.
wow.. that may be the first negative thing I've heard said about Peters on this board.

YardRat
06-05-2007, 04:46 PM
I'll take McGee on defense, and despite the urge to choose JP for the offense (I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that system and coaching continuity may help him keep progressing) I'll go with Peerless Price because personally I expect PP to have a much better year than last year.

Wys Guy
06-05-2007, 05:42 PM
A little high expectations for him to be a surprise. Depending on the way the 2/3 split in the running game goes, I would say 1,100 rushing yards, 8-10 TDs, 300-400 receiving yards, and 2-3 TDs would be a pleasant surprise. I will not say that a LT year is needed to be surprise.

Pleasant surprise? It would be top-5 in the AFC in yards from scrimmage and the AFC has LT and LJ. That would be downright fantastic. He'd be a top-10 RB in his rookie year and clearcut ROY choice.

Never said they have many proven impact players (3 - Lee Evans, Moorman and McGee on returns. Schobel is a notch below, imo). But most impact players were not always impact players. Guys like Losman, Whitner, Crowell, Lynch can become impact players in the next two years. And players and teams improve as they work and play together.That is why I like Marv's plan: build through the draft and let the guys gel.

All three of those guys began playing to top levels near immediately and fairly early in their careers. It didn't take three or four seasons. Moorman became superlative in his second season. McGee was superlative at KRs the second he began returning them regularly, 2nd season. Schobel is very near being on the downside. He logged 6.5 sacks as a rookie and only went up from there.

Marv hasn't brought in one player yet, FA or draftee, that has played to those levels.

Dr. Lecter
06-05-2007, 05:48 PM
That is because Marv has only had one season.

Look at what you just said: Moorman: year 2. McGee year 2. Evans was more in year 2.

But you expect Marv's guys to be fantastic in year 1?????

Jan Reimers
06-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Ridiculous thread, Doc. The obvious answer is: No one.

Wys Guy
06-05-2007, 06:18 PM

Look at what you just said: Moorman: year 2. McGee year 2. Evans was more in year 2.

Evans didn't get much of a chance to start in year 1 as the #2 WR. He played more in multiple recceiver sets although he did start some. Still, he had nine (9) TDs then. List for me the rookie WRs that have posted 9 TDs please. McGee also didn't get a chance to play as a rookie as Levy's guys have. Moorman was good as a rookie too and had great rookie stats. Those guys just didn't become impact players until season two except for Evans who clealry made an impact as a rookie.

Tripplett has always been bad. Just because some are in denial over that doesn't change it. He's our highest paid DT ever and is playing like a dime-a-dozen journeyman.

The odds of McCargo doing it are so infinitesimal that it's not even worth discussing.

Whitner didn't play to anywhere nearly as well as Evans did as a rookie. Nor did Simpson. That pretty much takes care of the rookies.

Our FAs brought on at more than nominal expense for the position:

Royal: his sixth season won't be a charm.
Price: is close to retirement and ineffectiveness than impact.
Fowler: also a run of the mill lineman in capable of impact play at this point in his career.
Kelsay: What has he offered in the past that has justified his contract? Nothing.

Evans, Moorman, and McGee all stepped up the second that they hit the field and only went up from there in the roles of WR, P, and KR. No one else on this team brought on by Levy has had that early jump. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I just hope, I really do, that by the end of the season if some of these guys don't begin to reflect impact play, that there are more people fed up with this more of the same approach that's really not much different from the Donadope era.

Maybe then we can finally get someone in here that has winning experience i their role as GM and someone that understands that it's the trenches where it all begins. Our FO and coaching staff clearly do not hold that viewpoint. Clearly.

I'd like to see some winning in Buffalo before I start collecting social security, ... which will probably be never. Different story however. LOL

Wys Guy
06-05-2007, 06:21 PM

Who in your opinion, or how many players perhaps, need to step up to the level of providing impact play this fall in order for Levy's time to be justified?

This notion that it takes three seasons for players to develop is so '80s. This is the new era pro football. Day one draft picks are expected to start immediately. The days of players sitting for a season or two are mostly over. Certainly you expect your free agents, if paid accordingly, to step up to impact play immediately. None have.

Regardless, lay out in some detail how many or whom needs to step up in order for Levy's methods to be on the track towards success by season's end?

We can revisit then.

FlyingDutchman
06-05-2007, 06:27 PM
Im gonna go out on a limb and say Anderson...

OpIv37
06-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Im gonna go out on a limb and say Anderson...

considering everyone already expects him to suck, the only way he could disappoint is if he runs on the field when we're on OFFENSE and sacks an unsuspecting JP.

HHURRICANE
06-05-2007, 08:46 PM
Coy Wire.

I think this is another case of how can he disappoint when I already expect him to suck.

Michael82
06-06-2007, 12:49 AM
considering everyone already expects him to suck, the only way he could disappoint is if he runs on the field when we're on OFFENSE and sacks an unsuspecting JP.
:rofl: I could see that!

DraftBoy
06-06-2007, 01:38 AM
Offense: JP Losman-Expectations are way too high
Defense: Terrence McGee- Toast will rise again!

Historian
06-06-2007, 03:28 AM
Clements will get injured, mark my words.

Biggest disapointment: Kelso in the booth.