PDA

View Full Version : Don't Hate the Player, hate the F.O.

patmoran2006
06-05-2007, 10:49 PM
In another thread, regular poster Rock Star36 made a comment that really stood out to me regarding Darwin Walker.

He said, and I quote him

"I'm not sick of him. I am slightly upset about him holding out already however if the Bills made the trade knowing that they had to re-work his contract then most of my anger would be directed towards the front office."
========================================================

Rock Star is absolutely right.

Most of us are hear voicing our frustrations about Walker when our anger should be directed towards Levy and the F.O.

They are the ones that KNEW about Walker and his contract desires BEFORE they made the trade for him.. It's not like our FO had no clue this was going to happen, yet they did it anyway.

What kind of General Manager pulls the trigger on a trade for a player they already know is going to demand more money unless you plan on paying him.. It's pretty simple. You either pay him, or you DONT make the trade.

If they wanted to simply "dump" Spikes, then they should've just gotten the 6th rounder for him, called it a day and not give critics even more ammunition to call this a poorly run, CHEAP franchise.

And we wonder why guys like Mort and those ESPN homos ridicule Buffalo time and time again as a franchise that's primary focus isn't winning.

What a stupid.. STUPID trade by Marv Levy. I don't care if he's perceived as God here.. IT was a stupid, cowardly trade that makes us look bad yet again in the national perspective of things.

Tatonka
06-05-2007, 11:04 PM
sounds like the same **** you have been posting for a month..

big deal.. we got the point a while ago..

billsburgh
06-05-2007, 11:04 PM
It's only June 6. there's still plenty of time to get a new deal done. I'm sure Marv and the rest of the FO are woking on a new deal for Walker. As you said, they made the trade knowing the circumstances. Levy has to much class to make the trade with no intentions of negotiating a new deal. If it gets to be August and nothing has happened, then we can begin to panic and bash the FO, but until then, let it play out.

gr8slayer
06-05-2007, 11:06 PM
In another thread, regular poster Rock Star36 made a comment that really stood out to me regarding Darwin Walker.

He said, and I quote him

"I'm not sick of him. I am slightly upset about him holding out already however if the Bills made the trade knowing that they had to re-work his contract then most of my anger would be directed towards the front office."
========================================================

Rock Star is absolutely right.

Most of us are hear voicing our frustrations about Walker when our anger should be directed towards Levy and the F.O.

They are the ones that KNEW about Walker and his contract desires BEFORE they made the trade for him.. It's not like our FO had no clue this was going to happen, yet they did it anyway.

What kind of General Manager pulls the trigger on a trade for a player they already know is going to demand more money unless you plan on paying him.. It's pretty simple. You either pay him, or you DONT make the trade.

If they wanted to simply "dump" Spikes, then they should've just gotten the 6th rounder for him, called it a day and not give critics even more ammunition to call this a poorly run, CHEAP franchise.

And we wonder why guys like Mort and those ESPN homos ridicule Buffalo time and time again as a franchise that's primary focus isn't winning.

What a stupid.. STUPID trade by Marv Levy. I don't care if he's perceived as God here.. IT was a stupid, cowardly trade that makes us look bad yet again in the national perspective of things.
Yeah because that's what we all strive to gain right? We must have the national media approve of everything we do.

patmoran2006
06-05-2007, 11:07 PM
Yeah because that's what we all strive to gain right? We must have the national media approve of everything we do.
No but it would be nice to make a trade without coming out like the idiots.

Mitchy moo
06-05-2007, 11:07 PM

lol.:candle:

gr8slayer
06-05-2007, 11:10 PM
We have until what? August to get a deal done? What's with the sky is falling BS? We just started freaking OTA's. There is still a TON of time to get him signed. Would you rather we just break the bank and give the guy what he wants?

patmoran2006
06-05-2007, 11:10 PM

Ya well one month later nearly everybody is still *****ing about Walker, when the reality is it was our bumbling Front Office that made the move, yet it's rare when anybody.. God forbids.. Criticizes Jesus Levy.

And it's one month closer and how much closer are we to signing him? Has he even VISITED Buffalo for that matter?

patmoran2006
06-05-2007, 11:19 PM
We have until what? August to get a deal done? What's with the sky is falling BS? We just started freaking OTA's. There is still a TON of time to get him signed. Would you rather we just break the bank and give the guy what he wants?
He wasn't our FA to begin with.

We shouldn't be making trades with players unless we are prepared to give them "what they want"

Did you see Baltimore consumate the trade with McGahee before they reached their extension?

The way the Bills do business is "different" that just about any other team in the league. It doesnt matter who the GM is. The owner is the same; and for seven years running, so are the results.

For the record, it's not Levy's fault that WIlson is a whiny, cry to the media, insult your fans who are STILL selling out games, old *****.

gr8slayer
06-05-2007, 11:22 PM

We shouldn't be making trades with players unless we are prepared to give them "what they want"

Did you see Baltimore consumate the trade with McGahee before they reached their extension?

The way the Bills do business is "different" that just about any other team in the league. It doesnt matter who the GM is. The owner is the same; and for seven years running, so are the results.

For the record, it's not Levy's fault that WIlson is a whiny, cry to the media, insult your fans who are STILL selling out games, old *****.
How do you know we aren't prepared to give him what he wants? I personally would rather have the draft pick right now, he's good but not as good as he probably thinks he is.

patmoran2006
06-05-2007, 11:31 PM
How do you know we aren't prepared to give him what he wants? I personally would rather have the draft pick right now, he's good but not as good as he probably thinks he is.
I dont necessarily disagree with you on that.

But.. IF the Bills don't think he's that good, they should've taken the pick instead of Walker and prevented the embarassment of trading a former Pro bowler and team leader for a player they could never sign.

And if they were going to sign him (Walker), it should've been a done deal BEFORE the trade, as Im sure teams weren't knocking down Marv's door about Spikes- and if they were this makes the trade even worse than it already is.

And the Bills aren't giving him what he wants now, why will they in a month when he's even further behind his teammates?

gr8slayer
06-05-2007, 11:34 PM
I dont necessarily disagree with you on that.

But.. IF the Bills don't think he's that good, they should've taken the pick instead of Walker and prevented the embarassment of trading a former Pro bowler and team leader for a player they could never sign.

And if they were going to sign him (Walker), it should've been a done deal BEFORE the trade, as Im sure teams weren't knocking down Marv's door about Spikes- and if they were this makes the trade even worse than it already is.

And the Bills aren't giving him what he wants now, why will they in a month when he's even further behind his teammates?
The way I understand it Spikes who has been here for a few years wanted out, so we got him out. Walker just happened to be included in the deal. Now we went into the deal knowing that it might not work out with Walker and if it didn't then **** him, we get a draft pick and he goes home. So would you rather have an angry Spikes (who younger players respected) being a possible cancer in the locker room, or would you rather have a DT who is a virtual nobody in our locker room be pissed off and not even show up?

camelcowboy
06-05-2007, 11:40 PM
I agree with pat, the bills should have known this would have been a issue. If walker said he wanted a new deal before the bills traded for him then what did they expect? They should pay the damn guy and get him on the field, because a 6th and 7th for spikes and holcomb is a joke.

gr8slayer
06-05-2007, 11:42 PM
I agree with pat, the bills should have known this would have been a issue. If walker said he wanted a new deal before the bills traded for him then what did they expect? They should pay the damn guy and get him on the field, because a 6th and 7th for spikes and holcomb is a joke.
Keeping an angry Spikes around would have been an even bigger joke IMO.

patmoran2006
06-05-2007, 11:46 PM
The way I understand it Spikes who has been here for a few years wanted out, so we got him out. Walker just happened to be included in the deal. Now we went into the deal knowing that it might not work out with Walker and if it didn't then **** him, we get a draft pick and he goes home. So would you rather have an angry Spikes (who younger players respected) being a possible cancer in the locker room, or would you rather have a DT who is a virtual nobody in our locker room be pissed off and not even show up?
while I don't agree with you often, I generally respect your posts.

But this is the kind of Pro-Marv can't do wrong crap I can't stomach about Bills fans.

There is NO DEFENDING THE TRADE.. It was a HORRIBLE trade. F**k Spikes at this point, I don't care if we cut him or traded for a water bottle.

The point is our Front Office makes trades for players now that they can't even sign.. I can't remember a team making a trade for someone, and then NOT being able to sign that player. Maybe I'm wrong, I dont know.. If I am , someone please tell me the last time this has happened?

If the DT is a "virtual nobody" in our locker room, then why the hell did we trade for him to begin with?

patmoran2006
06-05-2007, 11:50 PM

Then trade Spikes for the draft pick.

Dont trade for a player you can't sign; when we're already perceived as a cheap franchise with a cash to cap that lacks a committment to winning.

Whether you like it, or whether you care.. The perception is MEANINGFUL.

Free AGents remember that ****.. and when it comes time to choose a team to play for.. Buffalo won't be in the mix, unless we grossly overpay for a borderline starter; see Kelsay and Walker.

Tatonka
06-06-2007, 12:41 AM
Ya well one month later nearly everybody is still *****ing about Walker, when the reality is it was our bumbling Front Office that made the move, yet it's rare when anybody.. God forbids.. Criticizes Jesus Levy.

And it's one month closer and how much closer are we to signing him? Has he even VISITED Buffalo for that matter?
point is.. you already said this.. the thread is a waste of space.. sometimes i think you like to see your own posts like some people like to hear the sound of their own o.

Michael82
06-06-2007, 12:57 AM
It was a ****ing salary dump, that's all it was. :::

:yap:

SABURZFAN
06-06-2007, 01:01 AM
pat may be onto something. :couch:

DraftBoy
06-06-2007, 01:31 AM
It was a ****ing salary dump, that's all it was. :::

:yap:

Still a stupid trade

Pat is right, granted Ive been saying this for over a month now, and we've been through this once now.

FO messed up plain and simple of we dont get a deal done. If they do then all is forgiven, but gr8, we didnt just start our OTA's we are about done with our OTA's. Only a month from TC, and just under 2 months to the deadline. Thats not alot of time, imo.

Night Train
06-06-2007, 05:17 AM
I view it as a salary dump, with Spikes drawing little to no interest after teams watched him limp around, missing half the 2006 season with other injuries. He fit our D like a square peg in a round hole. Holcomb was obviously going to be cut anyhow.

YardRat
06-06-2007, 05:36 AM
It's Darwin Walker for crying out loud...not a premier d-tackle.

If it works out, great. If it doesn't, then it was a mistake by Marv and the front office and they deserve criticism, but not to an exaggerated extent. This move would be no worse than signing a FA and then cutting him before training camp.

alohabillsfan
06-06-2007, 06:02 AM

McGahee=3 picks! Baltimore got owned!

Jan Reimers
06-06-2007, 07:03 AM
Pat, aren't you the same guy who has criticized the FO for giving Langston Walker, Kelsay and Price too much money? What if Darwin Walker simply wants a lot more than his talent says he is worth?

What if the FO's plan all along was to sign the guy to what they thought was a fair contract, but if he wanted way too much, let him go back to the Eagles and take the 6th pick.

We know you don't like Marv, but the constant bashing gets kinda' old.

OpIv37
06-06-2007, 07:07 AM

are the Patriots a joke for keeping Samuel? What about the Bears for keeping Briggs?

Jan Reimers
06-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Another way of looking at this thing, if we in fact don't sign Walker (which is still not a given): Holcomb was gone anyway, so we get a 6th and a 7th for a guy who couldn't play anymore.

BidsJr
06-06-2007, 07:27 AM
Another way of looking at this thing, if we in fact don't sign Walker (which is still not a given): Holcomb was gone anyway, so we get a 6th and a 7th for a guy who couldn't play anymore.

Or

Ellison>Spikes

Traded Spikes and his salary (5-10 times Ellison's) for a 6th, and a 7th.

Ellison was a sixth.

We got good value.

Sometimes I wish someone's keyboard would just short circuit.

OpIv37
06-06-2007, 07:27 AM

and how does that make our DL better?

The Walker move was the only thing the FO did to address last year's horrendous DL, and if it falls through, then nothing was done about the DL except the return of McCargo (maybe).

But hey, we got a 6th and 7th round pick for a guy who plays a position where we have no depth. Good move, right? It must be- our FO did it.

Jan Reimers
06-06-2007, 07:32 AM
and how does that make our DL better?

The Walker move was the only thing the FO did to address last year's horrendous DL, and if it falls through, then nothing was done about the DL except the return of McCargo (maybe).

But hey, we got a 6th and 7th round pick for a guy who plays a position where we have no depth. Good move, right? It must be- our FO did it.
Op, it's June 6th. There is a lot of time and a number of moves that can be made before the season starts.

Are you always so angry about everything?

OpIv37
06-06-2007, 07:32 AM
Or

Ellison>Spikes

Traded Spikes and his salary (5-10 times Ellison's) for a 6th, and a 7th.

Ellison was a sixth.

We got good value.

Sometimes I wish someone's keyboard would just short circuit.

if it's 90 degrees outside and you're hot and thirsty and you spend your last $10 on a nice ski jacket instead of a case of Gatorade because it's "good value", did you REALLY get good value? You ended up with something you don't need at the moment at the opportunity cost of something you could use immediately.

Who's gonna fix the DL or back up our LB's?

Mr. Miyagi
06-06-2007, 07:34 AM
The point is our Front Office makes trades for players now that they can't even sign.. I can't remember a team making a trade for someone, and then NOT being able to sign that player. Maybe I'm wrong, I dont know.. If I am , someone please tell me the last time this has happened?

You're making a BIG assumption that the FO knew ahead of time about the contract dispute. Did Walker really make the disclaimer that he wanted a new deal BEFORE he was traded? You know this for sure? Because his agent said so?

Your panties are flying off out of control based on a big assumption that cannot be verified.

OpIv37
06-06-2007, 07:38 AM
Op, it's June 6th. There is a lot of time and a number of moves that can be made before the season starts.

Are you always so angry about everything?

I'm always angry that this team isn't winning and continues to make stupid moves.

First of all, you say there are a lot of moves that can be made- who's left that would be an obvious improvement to one of our weak areas, namely, DL, LB, CB?

Second, the FO has already had over two months to get the Walker deal done, and they have two months left. What makes you think the next two will be any better than the last two?

This was the only move the FO made to address a big problem area from last year in the DL, and they were dumb enough to put a clause in that allows it to be undone. Moves like that don't help this team win, and yeah, it makes me angry. And it makes me even more angry when people try to find a way to justify it with stuff like "well, Holcomb was gone anyway and Spikes can't play so we got a 6th and 7th round draft pick for nothing." First, we don't know if Spikes can play and second, next year's draft picks don't fill holes on the field THIS year.

ddaryl
06-06-2007, 07:38 AM
Does the whiny sniveling crap[ ever end with some posters.

it's a frigging broken record around here.

Night Train
06-06-2007, 07:47 AM

That's how I view it. I don't blame people for wondering why we couldn't get more for Spikes. I thought the same thing but his current physical condition makes him a total gamble and no one was going to give up high picks or a front line player for the guy, no matter how big his name was. Many assume he'll return to his 2004 form. That's a huge leap of faith, after viewing his lateral movement last year.

Walker was being phased out in Philly and it was basically a trade of players the former teams no longer wanted. Walker is gambling the Bills will take the 6th round pick and he'll get higher offers as a UFA, after Philly releases him. Good luck with that dream.

I'm sure the Bills will make him a decent offer prior to August but the 1st priority was dumping the high salaries of Spikes and Holcomb. The Bills wanted healthy youth and speed (Ellison) in the lineup. Can't balme them for that thinking.

madness
06-06-2007, 08:24 AM

This is by far one of the most ignorant comments I've seen in awhile. This thread isn't even worth debating once you recognize that it was a stupid, cowardly post that makes this forum look bad yet again.

And people want to put this kind of content on the front page. :shakeno:

DraftBoy
06-06-2007, 08:26 AM
You're making a BIG assumption that the FO knew ahead of time about the contract dispute. Did Walker really make the disclaimer that he wanted a new deal BEFORE he was traded? You know this for sure? Because his agent said so?

Your panties are flying off out of control based on a big assumption that cannot be verified.

Yes it was in the media in Philly about Walker already talking holdout from OTA's and TC, and that he wanted a new deal. This was a well known fact.

Michael82
06-06-2007, 08:28 AM
Still a stupid trade

Pat is right, granted Ive been saying this for over a month now, and we've been through this once now.

FO messed up plain and simple of we dont get a deal done. If they do then all is forgiven, but gr8, we didnt just start our OTA's we are about done with our OTA's. Only a month from TC, and just under 2 months to the deadline. Thats not alot of time, imo.
If they just cut Spikes...would you have been more pissed? It appears that there wasn't any teams interested in him, other than the Eagles. If all we get is a 6th and 7th rounder for him, I will be upset. But it's better than NOTHING!

DraftBoy
06-06-2007, 08:28 AM
What if the FO's plan all along was to sign the guy to what they thought was a fair contract, but if he wanted way too much, let him go back to the Eagles and take the 6th pick.

Woah nelly, now your way of defending this move is to say that maybe the Bills FO was so incompetent they didnt even both to try and find out, why a guy we were trading for was upset with his current deal, and wanted a new contract, or what his demands are? I pray this isnt true because if so this is even worse of a move than anybody here has even begun to say it is.

Talk0fNewYork
06-06-2007, 08:43 AM
How do you know we can't get a new deal? Did Marv or Walker tell you? Untill then shut the **** up!

OpIv37
06-06-2007, 08:47 AM
How do you know we can't get a new deal? Did Marv or Walker tell you? Untill then shut the **** up!

um, we've had 2 1/2 months to get a deal done and nothing has happened. Walker hasn't even GONE to Buffalo yet. If negotiations were going on, Chris Brown or someone would have reported it. What makes you so sure the next two months before the deadline will be any different than the last two?

And regardless of whether or not we get a deal done, a trade that allows a player to revert is asinine. Marv never should have pulled the trigger on this trade without having a deal in principle with Walker.

Jan Reimers
06-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Woah nelly, now your way of defending this move is to say that maybe the Bills FO was so incompetent they didnt even both to try and find out, why a guy we were trading for was upset with his current deal, and wanted a new contract, or what his demands are? I pray this isnt true because if so this is even worse of a move than anybody here has even begun to say it is.
There are such things as posturing, low balling, and shooting for the moon, then negotiating toward a deal which makes sense for both sides. All I'm saying is that we might have known what Walker was asking for initially, that it was too much, but we felt he might come down to something more reasonable. If he wouldn't bend, we at least covered ourselves with the 6th round option.

But in the black and white, everybody-must-know-everything world of bashing our FO, I realize that's not an explanation, but an excuse.

I wish I knew everything with as much certainty as some of you guys. It's a curse of getting old - you realize how little you really know.

OpIv37
06-06-2007, 08:55 AM
. If he wouldn't bend, we at least covered ourselves with the 6th round option.

while trading a player in a position where we have no depth and still not fixing the DL? Sorry, still a bad trade.

patmoran2006
06-06-2007, 09:27 AM

Don't you think its the responsibility of the general manager to thoroughly investigage any players that they are going to trade for??????????

Talk0fNewYork
06-06-2007, 10:54 AM
um, we've had 2 1/2 months to get a deal done and nothing has happened. Walker hasn't even GONE to Buffalo yet. If negotiations were going on, Chris Brown or someone would have reported it. What makes you so sure the next two months before the deadline will be any different than the last two?

And regardless of whether or not we get a deal done, a trade that allows a player to revert is asinine. Marv never should have pulled the trigger on this trade without having a deal in principle with Walker.
What makes you think the next 2 months will be the same? No one knows so can we drop the subject amd talk bout something that matters (we have no controll so shut the **** up!)

gr8slayer
06-06-2007, 11:03 AM
while I don't agree with you often, I generally respect your posts.

But this is the kind of Pro-Marv can't do wrong crap I can't stomach about Bills fans.

There is NO DEFENDING THE TRADE.. It was a HORRIBLE trade. F**k Spikes at this point, I don't care if we cut him or traded for a water bottle.

If the DT is a "virtual nobody" in our locker room, then why the hell did we trade for him to begin with?
There is no Pro-Marv, can do no wrong in me. I am just as critical of our team as anyone, I just think that he made the trade thinking it's a win-win. We can't get him to sign, **** him, we get the draft pick. We can't lose either way. What's wrong with that? **** the rest of the country and what they think, Jerry Jones does dumb **** all the time, you think anyone else loses sleep over it?

OpIv37
06-06-2007, 11:28 AM
What makes you think the next 2 months will be the same? No one knows so can we drop the subject amd talk bout something that matters (we have no controll so shut the **** up!)

There is nothing to suggest anything different is occurring- negotiations, etc, therefore, the most likely outcome is that nothing will change.

Everything is the same, and yet, you're expecting a different outcome. That's illogical.

And as far as shutting the **** up about things we have no control over- NONE of us have ANY control over ANYTHING that has to do with this team, so if we're going to do that, why even have a message board in the first place?

TedMock
06-06-2007, 11:56 AM

To me this is exactly the point. Spikes wanted out - bad. It made no sense whatsoever to keep him around. I don't know if he would have held out, but the way players are today we can't realistically claim that he would not have.

I'm not here to defend Marv or the trade. Only time will tell if it was a good trade.

Since we don't care if Spikes is "cut or traded for a water bottle," a 6th round pick is adequate, correct? Certainly it's worth more than cutting him or getting a water bottle in return.

Now, we knew Walker had contract issues. That's all we know. Were his demands different or the same at the time of trade? If you find out, let me know.

Also, we hedged our bet by adding the 6th round clause into this trade. At the very least we guaranteed ourselves some sort of valure. We get either Walker or the pick. Smart move to protect ourselves in case Walker doesn't come here.

Whether or not Spikes is worth more than a 6th is an entirely different debate. Honestly, I would've hoped he was. I already know your opinion on cutting him or trading him for a water bottle is obviously putting less than a 6th value on him. That's fine too, but again, it's a different argument.

patmoran2006
06-06-2007, 12:03 PM
To me this is exactly the point. Spikes wanted out - bad. It made no sense whatsoever to keep him around. I don't know if he would have held out, but the way players are today we can't realistically claim that he would not have.

I'm not here to defend Marv or the trade. Only time will tell if it was a good trade.

Since we don't care if Spikes is "cut or traded for a water bottle," a 6th round pick is adequate, correct? Certainly it's worth more than cutting him or getting a water bottle in return.

Now, we knew Walker had contract issues. That's all we know. Were his demands different or the same at the time of trade? If you find out, let me know.

Also, we hedged our bet by adding the 6th round clause into this trade. At the very least we guaranteed ourselves some sort of valure. We get either Walker or the pick. Smart move to protect ourselves in case Walker doesn't come here.

Whether or not Spikes is worth more than a 6th is an entirely different debate. Honestly, I would've hoped he was. I already know your opinion on cutting him or trading him for a water bottle is obviously putting less than a 6th value on him. That's fine too, but again, it's a different argument.
Excellent post.

That's exactly how you discuss a topic and make your points, without being a dickhead about it, which cant be said for a lot of people who dont agree about something said.

Michael82
06-06-2007, 01:02 PM
That's exactly how you discuss a topic and make your points, without being a dickhead about it, which cant be said for a lot of people who dont agree about something said.

:lmao:

It would be nice if you could follow your own advice first.

Jan Reimers
06-06-2007, 01:49 PM

Great, great point.

raphael120
06-06-2007, 02:06 PM

Hm...an angry Spikes or an angry Walker? I'm sure Spikes would've played, despite, but this Walker guy just wants money, meanwhile Spikes wants a championship.

I'll take the angry Spikes in a contract year.

DraftBoy
06-06-2007, 02:08 PM
There are such things as posturing, low balling, and shooting for the moon, then negotiating toward a deal which makes sense for both sides. All I'm saying is that we might have known what Walker was asking for initially, that it was too much, but we felt he might come down to something more reasonable. If he wouldn't bend, we at least covered ourselves with the 6th round option.

But in the black and white, everybody-must-know-everything world of bashing our FO, I realize that's not an explanation, but an excuse.

I wish I knew everything with as much certainty as some of you guys. It's a curse of getting old - you realize how little you really know.

So then your stance is that your fine with the FO making a trade for a contract disgrunteled player without already have even begun contract negotiations with that player to see if your even in the same ballpark as them?

If thats your stance, then Im just glad your not running this team.

gr8slayer
06-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Hm...an angry Spikes or an angry Walker? I'm sure Spikes would've played, despite, but this Walker guy just wants money, meanwhile Spikes wants a championship.

I'll take the angry Spikes in a contract year.
An angry Spikes who all of our young guys look up to? Yeah that would be setting a great example. Walker in comparison is a nobody when compared to Spikes.

Saratoga Slim
06-06-2007, 03:09 PM

Did you see Denver consumate the trade for Dre Bly, who had one year remaining on his contract, before they reached their extension?

Er wait, oh yeah, they did. And then got a deal done with Bly about a month later, after he had demanded all sorts of things and requested a trade to the Skins.

The Walker/TKO trade may not have been the FO's most shining moment (and I'm still not that happy about getting rid of TKO), but it isn't unheard of to do a trade and work on the terms of an extension later. And there's a LOOONNNGGGG time until the August deadline in which to get a new deal with Walker done. They're probably waiting until they can sign their rookies before determining what they're comfortable offering to Walker.

That said, it would be good to get a deal done sooner rather than later, as we'll likely miss out on the few remaining quality FA DTs if we wait until August to negotiate with Walker and then can't get it done. Plus it would be nice to get him in to the minicamps and learning the system.

DraftBoy
06-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Did you see Denver consumate the trade for Dre Bly, who had one year remaining on his contract, before they reached their extension?

Er wait, oh yeah, they did. And then got a deal done with Bly about a month later, after he had demanded all sorts of things and requested a trade to the Skins.

The Walker/TKO trade may not have been the FO's most shining moment (and I'm still not that happy about getting rid of TKO), but it isn't unheard of to do a trade and work on the terms of an extension later. And there's a LOOONNNGGGG time until the August deadline in which to get a new deal with Walker done. They're probably waiting until they can sign their rookies before determining what they're comfortable offering to Walker.

That said, it would be good to get a deal done sooner rather than later, as we'll likely miss out on the few remaining quality FA DTs if we wait until August to negotiate with Walker and then can't get it done. Plus it would be nice to get him in to the minicamps and learning the system.

Agreed completely, but here is the most moronic part of this deal and something Ive never seen. Have yuo ever heard of a team imposing a deadline on themself to get a deal done with a new player? Thats my huge issue is that they impose this deadline on themselves that has never been done before. Why do that?

ShadowHawk7
06-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Pat, I like your original post. Nobody is saying the sky is falling, but boy it sure looks like we got RIPPED in this trade thus far. Why not bring this topic up when you have your bi-annual convo with your secret source inside the Bills next time?

Just wondering, what if we had not done this trade?

Holcomb is still here and I doubt Edwards is, saving us a third round pick.

Spikes is still here, mentoring Poz and Crowell, with an excellent insurance policy in Ellison waiting in case he can't return to 2004 form.

We still have a stable of underachieving, average, 1 gap DTs

We lose out on a valuable 7th round pick

If Walker goes back, the Bills FO deserves all the national and local criticism they can get.

Eagles:
Walker
Holcomb
Spikes

Bills:
6th rounder
7th rounder

:eek:

Saratoga Slim
06-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Pat, I like your original post. Nobody is saying the sky is falling, but boy it sure looks like we got RIPPED in this trade thus far. Why not bring this topic up when you have your bi-annual convo with your secret source inside the Bills next time?

Just wondering, what if we had not done this trade?

Holcomb is still here and I doubt Edwards is, saving us a third round pick.

Spikes is still here, mentoring Poz and Crowell, with an excellent insurance policy in Ellison waiting in case he can't return to 2004 form.

We still have a stable of underachieving, average, 1 gap DTs

We lose out on a valuable 7th round pick

If Walker goes back, the Bills FO deserves all the national and local criticism they can get.

Eagles:
Walker
Holcomb
Spikes

Bills:
6th rounder
7th rounder

:eek:

The key is the part I bolded, particularly the "IF."

IF Walker goes back, I agree, it wasn't a good deal. I'd have rather kept Spikes, even if it means fudging a mil or two on our "cash to cap" philosophy.

But we're not there yet. Let's see what happens with Walker. For all we know the FO has every intention of getting it done.