PDA

View Full Version : OT Jared Gaither

DraftBoy
06-05-2007, 10:58 PM
A source has told us that University of Maryland offensive tackle Jared Gaither is leaning towards entering the supplemental draft.

http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/blog.cfm

Apparently, he's having academic issues same as Oliver. I would very much like to see us put in two bids for each of these guys. I think they can both be good NFL players. Gaither was considered the top tackle if he came out this year.

patmoran2006
06-05-2007, 11:03 PM
Ahead of Joe Thomas and Levi Brown?

Or do you mean top OT next year?

DraftBoy
06-05-2007, 11:13 PM
Ahead of Joe Thomas and Levi Brown?

Or do you mean top OT next year?

I mean he would of challenged Thomas for the top spot

DraftBoy
06-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Kid is 6'9, and 350lbs...he is absolutely massive and quick too

patmoran2006
06-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Well then I'm sure someone is going to bid a first rounder for him.

camelcowboy
06-05-2007, 11:33 PM
Well then I'm sure someone is going to bid a first rounder for him.1st for him, 3rd for the corner

patmoran2006
06-05-2007, 11:54 PM
I wouldnt bid on next year's picks.

ONLY because I think next year that DT and WR are going to be bigger needs than OT and CB, and I wouldnt want to use up high picks next year.

That's not to say we can't sign a good WR or DT Free AGent.

BILLSROCK1212
06-06-2007, 12:02 AM
4th rounder because if we ca get Paul Oliver (although I am not a huge fan of his) I would bid a 3rd on him and only him.

Mitchy moo
06-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Who are we bidding too??

Tatonka
06-06-2007, 12:33 AM
it would be awesome to get anyone in the supplimental draft honestly.. just because every year there is someone that i WISH we would get, like when brooks came out last year from UVA.. but we never do.. it would be like opening a christmas present early.

SABURZFAN
06-06-2007, 12:39 AM
it would be awesome to get anyone in the supplimental draft honestly.. just because every year there is someone that i WISH we would get, like when brooks came out last year from UVA.. but we never do.. it would be like opening a christmas present early.

:xmas:

DraftBoy
06-06-2007, 12:42 AM
3rd for Gaither, 4th for Oliver

those would be my bids and thats their current projections

SABURZFAN
06-06-2007, 12:48 AM
3rd for Gaither

your initial post had him rivaling joe thomas now you're saying 3rd Round??? :huh:

let's just say that joe thomas would be the first Tackle drafted.wouldn't that mean that Arizona gets this guy,instead of levi brown?

patmoran2006
06-06-2007, 12:50 AM
Yes.

BUt its also like having your birthday (AKA the 2008 draft) two days after Christmas, and you get screwed because you got too many gifts on Christmas, so you get a lot less for your birthday.

The plus side of supplemental players on this team is its already too young to begin with, may as well get as much youth at this point as you can who will be more experienced in 2008

DraftBoy
06-06-2007, 01:22 AM
your initial post had him rivaling joe thomas now you're saying 3rd Round??? :huh:

let's just say that joe thomas would be the first Tackle drafted.wouldn't that mean that Arizona gets this guy,instead of levi brown?

Different value system then the regular draft...guys with 1st round grades and even top 15 picks go much later than they would in a regular draft. Ex. Ahmad Brooks was arguably a top 10 pick this year if he could of stayed in school, but instead CIN got him in the 3rd round of last years Supplemental.

SABURZFAN
06-06-2007, 01:28 AM
Different value system then the regular draft...guys with 1st round grades and even top 15 picks go much later than they would in a regular draft. Ex. Ahmad Brooks was arguably a top 10 pick this year if he could of stayed in school, but instead CIN got him in the 3rd round of last years Supplemental.

sounds as if gaither's stock dropped in the draft.same thing happened with brooks because of character issues off of the field,didn't it?

DraftBoy
06-06-2007, 01:35 AM
sounds as if gaither's stock dropped in the draft.same thing happened with brooks because of character issues off of the field,didn't it?

It did for both because they couldnt stay academically elgible, which means you likely have to be REALLY stupid, since we all know most coaches can get grades changed.

TigerJ
06-06-2007, 08:53 AM
I'd consider Oliver before I would Gaither. Nothing against Gaither. After paying 25 million for Langston Walker, I want to see what I can do before I spend a first round pick on another OT. At least you can make the argument that CB is a need area. If Gaither is that good, that's what it will take. Oliver might take a first or second too.

TedMock
06-06-2007, 11:42 AM
As a Maryland grad/fan I must say that this sucks! Gaither is a solid OL and he's massive. I don't think (well, it's pretty obvious now) that he's the sharpest tool in the shed though. He's been pulled out of games for a play here and there and it's my belief that it's because he's missed some assignment. You just don't go pulling your most talented OL out of the game for a series, for no reason. I have been a UMD season ticket holder for several years - which probably explains why I was hoping for Josh Wilson in this last draft. Last season Gaither would absolutely dominate guys, but then later on, with the offense on the field, Gaither is on the sideline getting yelled at and missing a series. I obviously don't know what each blocking assignment is on a given play, but my guess is that he was missing his more than the other linemen.

raphael120
06-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Sorry for being the dummy...but how to they determine what draft pick they give up for a certain player or is it just "highest bidder" kinda thing...and who ends up getting the draft pick?

Ickybaluky
06-06-2007, 03:01 PM
It did for both because they couldnt stay academically elgible, which means you likely have to be REALLY stupid, since we all know most coaches can get grades changed.

Brooks' problems were not academic eligibility.

He was arrested for misdemeanor marijuana possession in 2003 and pleaded no-contest.

Then in the spring of 2006 he failed a drug test and was suspended from the team. HC Al Groh later dismissed him from the program, which is why he entered the supplemental draft.

justasportsfan
06-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Our OL is stacked already. We have other pressing needs.

:D I've been wanting to say that for years.

DraftBoy
06-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Brooks' problems were not academic eligibility.

He was arrested for misdemeanor marijuana possession in 2003 and pleaded no-contest.

Then in the spring of 2006 he failed a drug test and was suspended from the team. HC Al Groh later dismissed him from the program, which is why he entered the supplemental draft.

That is correct thank you for the correction

DraftBoy
06-06-2007, 03:05 PM

:rofl:

yea...stacked....HAHA

Saratoga Slim
06-06-2007, 03:29 PM
I wouldnt bid on next year's picks.

ONLY because I think next year that DT and WR are going to be bigger needs than OT and CB, and I wouldnt want to use up high picks next year.

That's not to say we can't sign a good WR or DT Free AGent.

I agree 100%.

Next year's offseason should be a lot more fun, as we should have fewer gaping holes to fill.

Saratoga Slim
06-06-2007, 03:31 PM

I'm not sure how stacked we are at C, RG and RT. We could very well be set at each position, but I don't think we'll know for sure until a good way through the season. It's going to take those guys a bit to get the chemistry thing going.

justasportsfan
06-06-2007, 04:27 PM
I'm not sure how stacked we are at C, RG and RT. We could very well be set at each position, but I don't think we'll know for sure until a good way through the season. It's going to take those guys a bit to get the chemistry thing going.

We've brought several players and drafted a few last year to compete with the ones we already had from TD. I'd rather pass on this kid and look into Oliver instead.

X-Era
06-06-2007, 04:33 PM
http://www.draftdaddy.com/blog/blog.cfm

Apparently, he's having academic issues same as Oliver. I would very much like to see us put in two bids for each of these guys. I think they can both be good NFL players. Gaither was considered the top tackle if he came out this year.

No way he would have ended up higher than Baker and Long.

DraftBoy
06-06-2007, 05:29 PM
No way he would have ended up higher than Baker and Long.

If he came out this year, Long and Baker had announced long before that they were staying in school, and yes if he had stayed he was going to push both for the top spot this season too.

SABURZFAN
06-06-2007, 05:55 PM

which explains the different value system than the regular draft.

got it. :up: