Interestingly, Donadope was once viewed as a very competent GM too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interestingly, Donadope was once viewed as a very competent GM too

The official source for NFL news, video highlights, fantasy football, game-day coverage, schedules, stats, scores and more.

I found the parallels, coupled with the willingness of many to yield the benefit of the doubt to Levy & Co., somewhat precarious.
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Interestingly, Donadope was once viewed as a very competent GM too

I don't yield anything to Levy.

I think he's had good drafts, at least on paper I like it this year---of which how much he's responsible for who knows.

But I think our FA moves under him have been a complete and utter joke.

And dont even get me started about a couple of his trades/or no trades. Keeping Clements and tagging him, KNOWING you'll never pay him once he hits the market instead of getting a good pick for him in 2006......Trading Spikes for a player they won't even sign.

Pleaseeeeeeeeeee

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Don't forget Jauron- he still has a lot to prove as a coach. And TD's single biggest flaw is his terrible coaching selections (arguably anyway).
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

I've got an idea! Let's give Marv a chance.

If, after 5 years, we're as bad off as Donahoe left us, I'll be more than willing to say he stunk.

But after only 18 months on the job, and what appear to be 2 good, productive drafts, I'm willing to delay judgment on what Marv is building here.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
          Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
          And TD's single biggest flaw is his terrible coaching selections (arguably anyway).
          Arguably?

TD passed on Marvin Lewis, who brought the Bengals back way past respectability, John Fox, who took the Panthers to the Super Bowl, and Charlie Weis, who - need I say more? - and hired Gregg Williams, who took a talented Washington defense to one of the worst in the league last year, and Mike Mularkey, who has been demoted from HC to OC to now TE coach.

I'd say that's a "definitely".

Comment

• ddaryl
            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
            • Jan 2005

I know lets not have faith in anyone at anytime. Lets just conitnue to foster the negativity that everything Buffalo does is nothing but a screw up. That'll fix everything and make it all better.

OR we could just be fans, take the optomist route and enjoy our hobbie/ pasttime as much as possible knowing full well we cannot control any bit of what happens. All we can do is hope and hold onto the thought that one day we will shed the monlkey on our back and win the big one.

I don't know about some of you, but I'd much rather look at things through rose colored glasses then to be miserable *****s like some of ya's.

Yes in hindsight TD screwed the pooch in a few areas, but he did some positive things to. Unfortunately we can not do anything about that and we simply must look forward.

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
              I've got an idea! Let's give Marv a chance.

If, after 5 years, we're as bad off as Donahoe left us, I'll be more than willing to say he stunk.

But after only 18 months on the job, and what appear to be 2 good, productive drafts, I'm willing to delay judgment on what Marv is building here.
              Why the reluctance to judge Marv on a move-by-move basis? If he makes a good move, everyone here lines up to kiss his ass. If he makes a bad move, everyone tries to spin it into a good move.

I agree at this point that it's tough to judge his overall performance. But considering this message board is about the Bills and he's the Bills' GM, I think it's more than appropriate to analyze what he's done so far.
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ddaryl
                I know lets not have faith in anyone at anytime. Lets just conitnue to foster the negativity that everything Buffalo does is nothing but a screw up. That'll fix everythign and make it all better.

OR we could just be fans, take the optomist route and enjoy our hobbie/ pasttime as much as possible knowing full well we cannot control any bit of what happens. All we can do is hope and hold onto the thought that one day we will shed the monlkey on our back and win the big one.

I don't know about some of you, but I'd much rather look at things through rose colored glasses then to be miserable *****s like some of ya's
                I'd much rather look at things realistically. It's more fun and challenging to try to make an accurate prediction about what will happen over the course of the season then to spend the off-season trying to justify why the Bills won't suck.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

Why the reluctance to judge Marv on a move-by-move basis? If he makes a good move, everyone here lines up to kiss his ass. If he makes a bad move, everyone tries to spin it into a good move.

I agree at this point that it's tough to judge his overall performance. But considering this message board is about the Bills and he's the Bills' GM, I think it's more than appropriate to analyze what he's done so far.
                  Basically, I don't like to micromanage my business and my employees, and I don't like to microanalize every Bills' move. I'm more of a results guy. We showed improvement last season, and I see no reason why we won't be better again in 2007.

This is Marv's second year, so his draft picks from last season will be just second year players, and this year's draft picks, as well as the retooled offensive line, haven't even put on pads yet.

I just think it's a little early to jump on every perceived "bad" move with both feet, before we've even gone to training camp.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                    Zero for Zero!
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Wys Guy
                    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/6340068

I found the parallels, coupled with the willingness of many to yield the benefit of the doubt to Levy & Co., somewhat precarious.
                    Just as interesting are that some of the same people that criticized TD's approach and wanted a similar approach to the one Marv is taking are now criticizing Marv for not taking a TD like approach.
                    Originally posted by mysticsoto
                    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

Oh, look. Another Chicken Little...er...I mean..."Realist" thread.

I don't think Marv is infallible whatsoever. He's getting lots of help from Modrak, John Guy and the coaching staff when final decisions are made on players. He isn't watching a lot of film himself.

Right now, I have concerns with the D line but know the 2nd week of Sept. is a long way off. Moves can be made plus no one has seen the team in pads yet. I really don't pretend to know what we have until I visit camp and watch the pre-season. Right now, I reside on the middle ground like many, with the natural off-season optimism that says it can get better. I'm not predicting double digit wins but looking for the team to finally move in the right direction by making needed changes of the old guard that didn't win us a damn thing.

Those who want to signal impending doom right now are buoyed by the fact that real games won't be played for 3+ months and no one can say they are wrong.

Gutsy !
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Night Train
                        Those who want to signal impending doom right now are buoyed by the fact that real games won't be played for 3+ months and no one can say they are wrong.

Gutsy !
                        um, the exact same thing is true for the people who say the D will be better because it's younger and faster. Or that Youboty will be ok because he has a "first round grade".
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• gil
                          • Mar 2005

I guess I missed what exactly brought this discussion on?

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

um, the exact same thing is true for the people who say the D will be better because it's younger and faster. Or that Youboty will be ok because he has a "first round grade".
                            The jury is till out on that. I agree.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• gil
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Wys Guy
                              http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/6340068

What parallels are there between Donahoe & Levy other than the fact that they both served as GM's of the Bills?

The guy in this article talked about giving Donahoe the benefit of the doubt on McGahee because of his supposed long history of success and reputation as a GM.

Marv was a coach for 40 some odd years, not a GM - where are the parallels?

Comment

Working...
                              X