PDA

View Full Version : Bills to attend Oliver pro day.....interesting!

bigbub2352
06-06-2007, 02:00 PM
BILLS TO ATTEND OLIVER PRO DAY: Georgia CB Paul Oliver, who has applied for entry into the NFL's Supplemental draft, will be holding an on campus pro day on June 20th. Oliver is considered to be a legitimate NFL prospect and has been clocked in the 4.45 range in the 40. The Bills like many other NFL teams will send scouts to observe and evaluate the workout.
Oliver is solidly built at 6'0" and 205 pounds. He was fifth on the team in tackles last year with 57 and had 3 interceptions. What's getting Oliver the most notoriety was his performance last season against Georgia Tech and now Detroit Lions WR Calvin Johnson. Oliver held Johnson to just 2 catches for 13 yards, had an interception, a forced fumble, 3 pass breakups and four tackles in the Bulldogs 15-12 win over Tech. He earned SEC Defensive player of the week honors for his efforts.
What I find even more interesting is Georgia was planning to use Oliver as a so-called shutdown corner this fall where they'd basically leave him on an island on one side of the field against the opponent's top wideout every week.
Poor grades are what forced Oliver to apply for entry into the Supplemental draft as he stood a good chance of being academically ineligible for his senior season. The NFL's Supplemental draft will be held July 12.
Oliver has been rated by some scouting services as a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
---
Chris Brown's Blog on Buffalobills.com

If he lasts and we like him i wouldnt mind given up a late day pick for him, i just dont trust the supplemental draft enough to give away a first day pick

Mad Bomber
06-06-2007, 02:05 PM
I'd love to get him.

Goobylal
06-06-2007, 02:07 PM
If he's a good prospect, I'd have no problem giving up a 2008 2nd rounder for him.

Mr. Miyagi
06-06-2007, 02:08 PM
He's flunking out of school. No way Marv drafts him.

patmoran2006
06-06-2007, 02:09 PM
INteresting..

raphael120
06-06-2007, 02:09 PM
If he can't dedicate his mind to school books, who thinks he's going to dedicate his mind to play books.

DraftBoy
06-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Different when your getting payed 100's of thousands, as opposed to a couple thousand

Mr. Miyagi
06-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Different when your getting payed 100's of thousands, as opposed to a couple thousand
:spit:

Night Train
06-06-2007, 02:23 PM
He's flunking out of school. No way Marv drafts him.

LOL . Have you ever talked to some of the Bills ? I bet half of them can't spell CAT.

gr8slayer
06-06-2007, 02:34 PM
I think we're pretty set at CB.

DraftBoy
06-06-2007, 03:06 PM
I think we're pretty set at CB.

What in gods name are you talking about set at CB? We quite possible have the worst tandem in the league right now.

raphael120
06-06-2007, 03:22 PM
INteresting..

Interesting in that apparently we STILL arent confident in our CB core. I think it has a lot to say about what they see in McGee and Youboty...if they were good enough to make the coaches feel comfortable, we wouldn't be looking at supplemental draft prospects.

bflojohn
06-06-2007, 03:59 PM
The truth is probably that the Bills can add a talent and that alone is reason enough to scout the player. In other words, it might NOT have anything to do with Youboty or McGee, but it has everything to do with always bolstering your roster with talented players!

Elminster
06-06-2007, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't want to spend anything too high on this guy. A 3rd...we have two anyways...

TheGhostofJimKelly
06-06-2007, 04:14 PM
First off, why is it "interesting" that the Bills are going to look at a player?

I have said it before, it was quite possible that Oliver could be the top CB in the draft next season. It will be a pretty good draft year for corners next year, not great, but good. Depending on development this year it was quite possible he would be the top corner.

X-Era
06-06-2007, 04:24 PM
BILLS TO ATTEND OLIVER PRO DAY: Georgia CB Paul Oliver, who has applied for entry into the NFL's Supplemental draft, will be holding an on campus pro day on June 20th. Oliver is considered to be a legitimate NFL prospect and has been clocked in the 4.45 range in the 40. The Bills like many other NFL teams will send scouts to observe and evaluate the workout.
Oliver is solidly built at 6'0" and 205 pounds. He was fifth on the team in tackles last year with 57 and had 3 interceptions. What's getting Oliver the most notoriety was his performance last season against Georgia Tech and now Detroit Lions WR Calvin Johnson. Oliver held Johnson to just 2 catches for 13 yards, had an interception, a forced fumble, 3 pass breakups and four tackles in the Bulldogs 15-12 win over Tech. He earned SEC Defensive player of the week honors for his efforts.
What I find even more interesting is Georgia was planning to use Oliver as a so-called shutdown corner this fall where they'd basically leave him on an island on one side of the field against the opponent's top wideout every week.
Poor grades are what forced Oliver to apply for entry into the Supplemental draft as he stood a good chance of being academically ineligible for his senior season. The NFL's Supplemental draft will be held July 12.
Oliver has been rated by some scouting services as a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
---
Chris Brown's Blog on Buffalobills.com

If he lasts and we like him i wouldnt mind given up a late day pick for him, i just dont trust the supplemental draft enough to give away a first day pick

Id spend that extra 3rd or keep the extra 3rd and spend a 2nd on him in a heartbeat, hes a helluva player at our biggest worry position.

X-Era
06-06-2007, 04:26 PM
If he can't dedicate his mind to school books, who thinks he's going to dedicate his mind to play books.

Start paying me millions to take economics and Ill be one school goin, book studying mo fo.

I hope you see the difference.

Romes
06-06-2007, 04:36 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to using a 3rd round pick on him. We do have two with the McGahee trade anyway.

justasportsfan
06-06-2007, 04:43 PM

Jocks don't have to be brainiacs in academics to be successful in sports.

justasportsfan
06-06-2007, 04:45 PM
First off, why is it "interesting" that the Bills are going to look at a player?

some people think it's a shock that the bills are always looking to get better because cheap Ralphy is trying to ruin the team.

Tatonka
06-06-2007, 05:51 PM
id take him for sure.. if they feel he is worth a 2nd rounder, so be it.

gr8slayer
06-06-2007, 06:06 PM
What in gods name are you talking about set at CB? We quite possible have the worst tandem in the league right now.
I have nothing but confidence in K. Thomas and McGee didn't do as bad as everyone is making him out to have done. Youboty was a "first round talent." Webster has been a starter, Greer is a hell of a number three/four.

DraftBoy
06-06-2007, 06:17 PM
I have nothing but confidence in K. Thomas and McGee didn't do as bad as everyone is making him out to have done. Youboty was a "first round talent." Webster has been a starter, Greer is a hell of a number three/four.

Your right he did worse, there are not enough words in the english dictionary for us to describe how poorly McGee played last year.

Philagape
06-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Interesting in that apparently we STILL arent confident in our CB core. I think it has a lot to say about what they see in McGee and Youboty...if they were good enough to make the coaches feel comfortable, we wouldn't be looking at supplemental draft prospects.

Agreed. Between this and signing Webster, I'd bet anything the Bills would have drafted Hughes if Edwards had not been there, which makes that decision even more questionable. All of our CBs have huge question marks, and if Youboty is any good, I also bet McGee won't start, which is fine with me.

Illmatic15
06-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Cleary hes not as stupid as Mcgahee so no worries, I would not mind getting him but Im confident in Youboty ....

Philagape
06-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Your right he did worse, there are not enough words in the english dictionary for us to describe how poorly McGee played last year.

McGee is just not a Cover 2 CB. He relies on speed and athleticism, while a Cover 2 CB relies more on awareness and size (McGee is only 5-9)

gr8slayer
06-06-2007, 07:27 PM
He looked better than Clements did half the time. If he could hold on to the ball he would get a lot more respect. I've counted five INT's that went though his hands in the six games I've re-watched. Easily fixed.

YardRat
06-06-2007, 08:58 PM
I'd consider spending a third on him, but nothing more.

seanbillsfan
06-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Maybe its all the other no-talent assclowns below them on the depth charts they're worried about

Goobylal
06-06-2007, 10:00 PM
He looked better than Clements did half the time. If he could hold on to the ball he would get a lot more respect. I've counted five INT's that went though his hands in the six games I've re-watched. Easily fixed.
Paul Hamilton was talking about McGee and saying how bad a season he had last year. But he also said that McGee looked "too heavy" last year, and that it probably affected his play. He's slimmer now, and hopefully it helps.

Yasgur's Farm
06-07-2007, 06:04 AM
What in gods name are you talking about set at CB? We quite possible have the worst tandem in the league right now.Actually there's a lot of truth to gr8slayer's statement... I don't think Oliver could beat out McGee, Youboty, Thomas, Webster, or Greer for a 2007 spot.

That being said... He would be a better future prospect than Thomas, Webster, and Greer... I'd throw out a 2008 4th or 5th for him.

Tatonka
06-07-2007, 11:12 AM
mcgee had a down season.. i dont think it was nearly as bad as some made it out to be. he made some great breaks on the ball last year in several instances.. but he didnt come down with it.. that is still a pass break up.

i like mcgee.. i think he will be fine.. he got picked on last year.. i am sure he is working hard and watching the film of what happened last year and he will make the changes he needs to. we will be fine with mcgee.

Jeff1220
06-07-2007, 11:23 AM
I think the putrid performance McGee had vs. Detroit/Williams really put a magnifying glass on some of his other mistakes in other games.

patmoran2006
06-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Paul Hamilton was talking about McGee and saying how bad a season he had last year. But he also said that McGee looked "too heavy" last year, and that it probably affected his play. He's slimmer now, and hopefully it helps.
I know Paul Hamilton.. You'll be lucky to find a guy on the face of this earth who knows more about hockey than Hamilton. IN fact I think he's the most knowledgable hockey guy I've EVER listened to in my life.

But he's NOT a football guy.. Far from it. He doesnt know more about football than anybody on this board.

But.. He's right for the most part about McGee. Last year.

I'm one of the VERY few. But I like McGee, I just dont like him as the #1 corner. He can match up decent with #2s.. But the top guys like Owens, Moss, Chambers, Chad Johnson are going to eat him alive.

gr8slayer
06-07-2007, 12:01 PM
I know Paul Hamilton.. You'll be lucky to find a guy on the face of this earth who knows more about hockey than Hamilton. IN fact I think he's the most knowledgable hockey guy I've EVER listened to in my life.

But he's NOT a football guy.. Far from it. He doesnt know more about football than anybody on this board.

But.. He's right for the most part about McGee. Last year.

I'm one of the VERY few. But I like McGee, I just dont like him as the #1 corner. He can match up decent with #2s.. But the top guys like Owens, Moss, Chambers, Chad Johnson are going to eat him alive.
Good thing in the Cover 2 there are generally two safeties dropping back to help out with the passing game. Does no one understand how the C2 works around here?

clumping platelets
06-07-2007, 10:08 PM
I would certainly consider using our 3rd in '08 because we have the Ravens 3rd.......a little leery aboot using the 2nd rd pick though